Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would say he is delighted with having got Rosicky... great signing. Looked v.v.impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

This fella has been regarded as a top class player for a long time now. I love the way the bbc and all were going on as if Arsene Wenger uncovered this guy from the footballing abyss. He did get him at a great price though.

Andrew Johnson 10 million
    Tomas Rosicky less than 7 million.....

enough said!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

tred wrote:
    Andrew Johnson 10 million
    He was £8.5m.

Nakamura €3m - enough said. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Them to bid 16M for Cole which is apparently the buy out clause on his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can I just check something:

Since Christmas have Arsenal spent 26 million pounds?

Abadyer - 7 million
    Rosicky - 7.5 million
    Walcott - 12 million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote:
    Can I just check something:

Since Christmas have Arsenal spent 26 million pounds?

Abadyer - 7 million
    Rosicky - 7.5 million
    Walcott - 12 million

Thought the Walcott deal was more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rosicky is 4.5 rising to 6.8 on conditions, afaik.
    Walcott is 5 rising to 12 on conditions, afaik.

Tauren wrote:
    Rosicky is 4.5 rising to 6.8 on conditions, afaik.
    Walcott is 5 rising to 12 on conditions, afaik.

I am not sure about that 7 million for abeydaor. I read today that they have enquired about saviola. Intersting possibility. But id love to see torres there, io thought he linked well last night with the mighty Cesc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Yeah agree Tred I think he would be a cracking buy! although Saviola wouldn't be bad either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Walcott cost £5m, Diaby cost £6.5m, Adebayor £4.5m and Rosicky £6.8m.

Saviola would be a terrible signing. Arsenal don't need another striker, and they certainly don't need another small, youngish striker. There's Henry, and as his partner you've got choices: Van Persie (out and out striker), Adebayor (hard working targetman type) and Reyes (withdrawn Bergkamp type). Not to mention Walcott who has just arrived and a host of other talented strikers coming through the ranks.

For defensive midfield, there's Gilberto, Flamini, and Song. In goal, there's Lehmann, Fawlty Manuel and Poom. At CB, there's Toure, Senderos, and Djourou.

And people still want Wenger to splurge £25m+ on Torres.

• Advertisement

Midfielder is the priority, Saviolas great but he's the last one i'd buy, we need a conventional striker, torres or why even give Bendtner or wallcott a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Pepe - I take it Campbell is on his way to Portsmouth then? Don't forget we have Diaby to come back too. The way I see it, if we can sign Davis off WBA, and a backup keeper, I'd be pretty happy with the squad, and expect us to build on last year.

He's off somewhere anyway, with Cole probably following him out the door too. Life goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ah I found out, it's 5 million, but 12 million depending only on appearances, and apparently his appearence at the world cup will get more spent.

Still, Arsenal have spent quite a bit of cash, do they have the resources to spend more in the future?

Heard a mad rumour that some Arab guy is going to buy us out in 3 years. sad to see Cole go if he does go. I think the arse need more english talent in the team. They had the english back 5 at one stage.

PHB wrote:
    Ah I found out, it's 5 million, but 12 million depending only on appearances, and apparently his appearence at the world cup will get more spent.

Still, Arsenal have spent quite a bit of cash, do they have the resources to spend more in the future?
    IIRC Hill-Wood said that there's a cash reserve of just under of £60m available to Wenger. This was last summer, but Wenger didn't spent anything (net) then, so...

Arsenal seem to have been cleared of any wrong doing over Beveren.

On another note, whats the story with this Mr. Mir candidate for Real Madrid saying that Wenger will be the next coach should he be elected. This is total nonsense, don't believe a word of it, there must be some action that Arsenal could take about something like that. I must say the Spanish media are the biggest sh!t stirrers around, always seem to be after an Arsenal player, or Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

the other day wenger rubbished those claims. so at the moment i wouldn't worry about that.

Just hearing now that the Greek newspapers are running a story that Yaya Toure will be signed shortly. Apparently he has several weeks wages unpaid for by Olympiakos and Kolo has convinced him to go to Arsenal - for around 8 mill.

Dunno how concrete this is, mind. Not sure he's the signing the team is looking for, though it wouldn't do any harm.

// edit - hmm, anyone read Greek? :D

http://www.contra.gr/news_large.aspx?date=today&paper=goal

Delighted if this goes through.

In fairness he was a great steal from Spurs. But over the last year his commitment to Arsenal has been questioned, and now is the correct time to unload him.

• Advertisement

Roddy23 wrote:
    Delighted if this goes through.

In fairness he was a great steal from Spurs. But over the last year his commitment to Arsenal has been questioned, and now is the correct time to unload him.

http://home.skysports.com/transfernews.asp?type=article&id=400756

Saviola in the frame??. Wouldnt be a bad signing i think, if they got him at the right price. 24 and bags of talent but needs some wenger fine tuning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Campbell in sudden Arsenal exit

Arsenal have announced that defender Sol Campbell is to leave the club so he can seek a "fresh challenge".

On BBC just now. No other info yet.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Link from official site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Have they let him go on a free? Very strange, he was still under contract. Probably could have got a couple of million for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

He’s destined to be the next footballer to go crazy and think they have a promising career in Turkish football. But i suppose it's the only place he'll get his current wage matched or even bettered.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ditched the football altogether, and tried his luck with Acting. He was talking about this a few months ago. Think he would be crazy enough to do it.
    He wasn't the same player we signed, and although we could have a got afew million for him, still think it was the correct time to get rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

According to those acurate Sunday tabloids Touré's little brother is joining him at the Arsenal. Whats your thoughts on that if it does happen?

We've been trying to get him for ages but he never met the criteria for a work permit. He showed alot of promise in greece and had some nice touches in the WC. If he's half as good as kolo, he'll be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

If we got him it would be excellent. He's a star in the making. Think he has a grump with Wenger though because he had him on trial a couple of years back and never offered him anything

• Advertisement

Arsenal were going to offer him a contract, but there were some Work Permit issues, and so Beveren swooped in and got him. He then moved onto Donetsk. Not too sure about Yaya, thought Appiah looked the better player, and with Diaby coming back from injury, could be a half decent midfield. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

according to his brother Kolo, yaya is a better player than him.

His one major fault is he lacks Kolo drive and determination. Apparently if he had that he'd be unstoppable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Arsenal are ready to make a £12m bid for Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon. (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal's £10m bid for Marseille winger Franck Ribery is set to be beaten by a £26m Real Madrid offer. (The Guardian)

26M thats insane.

WBA want 8M for Curtis Davies who arsenal are interested in. 8M!!!!!!! its no wonder Chelski are the only ones who can afford to buy english players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

26M thats insane.

WBA want 8M for Curtis Davies who arsenal are interested in. 8M!!!!!!! its no wonder Chelski are the only ones who can afford to buy english players.
    English players just aren't good value for money. Foreign players are a lot cheaper and can even do the job better.
    sgarvan wrote:
    Arsenal are ready to make a £12m bid for Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon. (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal's £10m bid for Marseille winger Franck Ribery is set to be beaten by a £26m Real Madrid offer. (The Guardian)

Would be nice to get Buffon but then again it is from the Mirror?:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Hi All,
    Just got access and want to get up to speed on Arsenal rumours.

From what I read in the news etc it's Yaya, Appiah, Davis then rumours about Buffon and Ribery.

IMO I'm not sure if Ribery would suit Arsenal the best.
    He ticks the skillful and fench boxes but his temprement and finishing seem to be a bit off. I've constantly hear that he needs a strong dressing room and I noticed that in the WC any time Zidane went missing, Ribery did too. If Real are prepared to pay 26 million then I'd rether see Arsenal get someone good cut price from the great Italian clearout bonanza.

As regards Buffon, do Arsenal really need to spend loads of cash on the worlds most expensive goalkeeper? He'd be welcome but more then anything I'd like to see Arsenal get a really top class defender from the Italian clubs, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zebina, Stam, Kaladze...take your pick.

Otherwise Trez or Ibrahimovic would be welcome.

Also did anything happen with the Saviola rumours that were circulating recently?

I'm really hoping that Wenger will do very well in transfers this year. The Rosicky thing was obviously an inspired move. I think on the back of this he may do well out of the Italian sale or just the general market as the italian sale will obviously distract people from other things.

Remember after the last world cup, Arsenla got Gilberto and Utd got Kleberson?

gosplan wrote:
    Hi All,
    Just got access and want to get up to speed on Arsenal rumours.

From what I read in the news etc it's Yaya, Appiah, Davis then rumours about Buffon and Ribery.

IMO I'm not sure if Ribery would suit Arsenal the best.
    He ticks the skillful and fench boxes but his temprement and finishing seem to be a bit off. I've constantly hear that he needs a strong dressing room and I noticed that in the WC any time Zidane went missing, Ribery did too. If Real are prepared to pay 26 million then I'd rether see Arsenal get someone good cut price from the great Italian clearout bonanza.

As regards Buffon, do Arsenal really need to spend loads of cash on the worlds most expensive goalkeeper? He'd be welcome but more then anything I'd like to see Arsenal get a really top class defender from the Italian clubs, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zebina, Stam, Kaladze...take your pick.

Otherwise Trez or Ibrahimovic would be welcome.

Also did anything happen with the Saviola rumours that were circulating recently?

I'm really hoping that Wenger will do very well in transfers this year. The Rosicky thing was obviously an inspired move. I think on the back of this he may do well out of the Italian sale or just the general market as the italian sale will obviously distract people from other things.

Remember after the last world cup, Arsenla got Gilberto and Utd got Kleberson?

If arsenal can sign Buffon....at 28 years.....there is 5 great years left in him, and he is a great keeper. We have lehmann but is he going to be number one in 2 yeasr time, and the oppurtunity to sign a world class keeper only comes around every so often. Kolo and Senderos had great tournaments. They are young. I think Thuram is coming for 2 seasons to add some inspiration and competition at the back. Thuram and Wenger go back years. Hell be offered a year contract plus another yearly option. When you have players like henry Rosicky Fabregas at a club, theyll draw world class players easier..

Jesus, Thurman I would love.
    I tended to assume that with his age he'd just retire at the end of the cup with Juve being sent down but I can see given his preformances that he'd want to play on.

I think Senderos and Toure are totally top class, Toure always was and Senderos had a great world cup which I hope will be the sign that he's come of age as a player.
    The only thing I'd worry about is cover in case of injury or game congestion as a result of progression in the champions league again. Arsenal did amazingly well last year with the makeshift defence but it's not a trick I'd try and repeat too often.

Buffon would be a good signing but I think it's tough on mad Jens who for me has had the best year of any Goalie. Gven that Buffon probably had the second best I don't think a club can sign both and keep them happy.

gosplan wrote:
    Jesus, Thurman I would love.
    I tended to assume that with his age he'd just retire at the end of the cup with Juve being sent down but I can see given his preformances that he'd want to play on.

I think Senderos and Toure are totally top class, Toure always was and Senderos had a great world cup which I hope will be the sign that he's come of age as a player.
    The only thing I'd worry about is cover in case of injury or game congestion as a result of progression in the champions league again. Arsenal did amazingly well last year with the makeshift defence but it's not a trick I'd try and repeat too often.

Buffon would be a good signing but I think it's tough on mad Jens who for me has had the best year of any Goalie. Gven that Buffon probably had the second best I don't think a club can sign both and keep them happy.

Love Jens but id sacrifice him for Buffon for the long term health of the club..

Have to agree with this. Would much prefer to sign a Central Defender and Midfielder. Thuram would be great, and either of Yaya or Appiah, I wouldnt mind.

• Advertisement

Ach, such a tough thing to do but I can't say I'd disagree.

Wow,

So that could potentially give a team of:

Buffon
    Thuram
    Toure/Senderos
    Eboue/Lauren
    Cole/Clichy
    Gilberto/Diaby/Flamini
    Cesc
    Rosicky/Ljundberg
    Hleb/Reyes
    Van Persie/Walcott/Adebayor
    Henry

If Thuram were coming I can't see any need to splash 8 million on Davis.

Ye've left a few other players who will probably get another few games this year: Kerr Gilbert, Larsson, Hoyte, Almunia.

Really can't see Wenger selling Jens, he has had a brilliant season. After seeing him play for the Germans, I think it has dawned on him that he is now one of the senior players, and its good to see him encouraging the younger defenders around him.

Larsson is never going to make it at Arsenal. Almunia is a back-up and a shakey one at that, so another keeper needs to come in. There's no way in hell Lehmann will be sold, he's been fantastic for the guts of 18 months now.

There are stories going around that Diaby's injury is particularly serious hence the apparent renewed interest in Yaya Toure - I can't see Toure being signed otherwise as himself and Diaby are far too similar players, and they've already got Fabregas and potentially Rosicky to compete with. Diaby is far more raw than Toure and neither have the defensive discipline, tenacity and work-rate to play the defensive midfield role yet.

If no other defensive midfield player is signed I can only hope that Gilberto maintains his end of season form, or with the added responsibility Flamini makes another quantum leap forward (as he did last season at LB) and gets close the level of Gattuso - similar type player but he's a good bit short of him at present. If Alex Song is anywhere near the first team next season I will be an unhappy camper.

Ribery has been linked again on SSN with Marseilles apparently asking for £14m, which seems a more realistic figure to me, there's no way Real would pay £26m. Ribery apparently said that he'd like to play in the Premiership under a French coach. If he was signed it'd leave Rosicky, Hleb, Ribery and Ljungberg in competition for the two wide spots (with Rosicky potentially playing in the centre when Cesc is rested) which would be excellent.

Hoyte is back in training at Arsenal but I'm not sure where he fits in - I suppose he could replace Cygan (who frighteningly, is still here) as a squad player, filling in anywhere across the defence where necessary. He's never impressed me as much as Eboue or Gilbert have though and there are already 3 young centre-backs at the club, so I can't see him getting much of a look-in.

The priorities for me remain a backup keeper, an experienced centre-half and a top class defensive midfielder. Strikers, wingers and full-backs are not required, but if top quality players in those positions were brought in at good value I'd have no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Surely Rosicky would be first choice ahead of Fabregas?

SofaKing wrote:
    Surely Rosicky would be first choice ahead of Fabregas?

Rosicky will play behind Henry as second striker id say.....

I suppose he could replace Cygan (who frighteningly, is still here) as a squad player

Ye've just ruined my summer. Forgot all about this chap.

Unless he has a serious dip in form, Fabregas will be first choice for the rest of his Arsenal career. Wenger has said that Rosicky is a direct replacement for Pires, but even if he had not said it, i'd have bet my house on him playing left-midfield.

Van Persie, Adebayor and Reyes are the three main options as partner for Henry. All offer something different which I like.

I agree that the team is quite solid. The only thing that could call the squad into question is a bout of injuries similar to last season which is unlikely to happen.

I would however argue that Arsenal need a second excellent striker. Neither Van Persie, Reyes or Adebayor are going to come close to matching Bergkamps contribution of a few years ago.

Van Persie may someday(and it could be this season), Adebayor is a totally different type of player who honestly I think will never be really first team material and Reyes has failed to live up to expectation and his first season.

I feel that if Arsenal are really going to contend they need another world class striker to go with Thierry. Too much was asked of Henry last year. In fairness, he did deliver on almost all counts but he need reliable backup.

A Herny and Torres partnership would be about the level I'd start looking at.

Regardless Arsne knows and I'd bet that if another top class striker doesn't come in then one of the other three will really perform.

on a side note, I thin the form or Reyes over the last 1-2 years has been dissappointing. is he still Arsenals biggest signing???

gosplan wrote:
    I agree that the team is quite solid. The only thing that could call the squad into question is a bout of injuries similar to last season which is unlikely to happen.

I would however argue that Arsenal need a second excellent striker. Neither Van Persie, Reyes or Adebayor are going to come close to matching Bergkamps contribution of a few years ago.

Van Persie may someday(and it could be this season), Adebayor is a totally different type of player who honestly I think will never be really first team material and Reyes has failed to live up to expectation and his first season.

I feel that if Arsenal are really going to contend they need another world class striker to go with Thierry. Too much was asked of Henry last year. In fairness, he did deliver on almost all counts but he need reliable backup.

A Herny and Torres partnership would be about the level I'd start looking at.

Regardless Arsne knows and I'd bet that if another top class striker doesn't come in then one of the other three will really perform.

on a side note, I thin the form or Reyes over the last 1-2 years has been dissappointing. is he still Arsenals biggest signing???

Watch our for Van persie, It thought he did well for holland and he might be ina good vein of form. He has some shot wiht that left foot of his!.

To my knowledge no more money has been paid for Reyes since the initial outlay so Wiltord is still the most expensive at £13m.

Splurging millions on a top level striker would be a waste of money as far as I'm concerned, particularly on the type of striker who would perform best instead of Henry and not with him. Henry has had out-and-out strike partners like Trezeguet before and he's very rarely clicked with them. Torres, who hype-aside is not 'world class', falls into that bracket. Very few top teams play two of these types of players - they play one striker to lead the line, and one to link the midfield - Henry and Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooy and Rooney etc. Arsenal need a regular partner for Henry who links midfield and attack. Trouble is, there aren't many top quality players of this ilk available, though there is one I can think of - a certain Jose Antonio Reyes who keeps getting shunted out to left midfield where he plays about as effectively as Bergkamp did when he was shunted out to right wing. Hopefully now that Rosicky has been signed, he'll make left-wing his own and Reyes won't need to be drafted in constantly to plug the problem position.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement