Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

gandalf wrote: »
    Here's hoping the 2nd team dispatch Newcastle :)
    (again!)

It could be a very difficult game. As bad as Newcastle are at the moment, they're at home and are under severe pressure to get a result. Add to that Arsenal missing van Persie, Fabregas and Hleb, and there could be an upset. Fingers crossed there isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

After coming through the Villa game, you could see the difference in Arsenal with and without Hleb on the pitch. He was immense. Without both him and Fabregas I hope Newcastle scrap a draw, but I'd be surprised. I'm hoping that once Christmas comes and the games come thick and fast Arsenal will get tired and drop points :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Well if there's one bit of advice I can you its this; any of you playing fantasy football should definitely stick Shay Given in your team this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Is Cesc deffo out? know Wenger was saying that he would be out for a week possibly. Nothing on arsenal.com.

cson wrote: »
    Well if there's one bit of advice I can you its this; any of you playing fantasy football should definitely stick Shay Given in your team this week.

You tring to get people to loose points :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The Burnley v Arsenal game will be live on BBC1, Sunday January 6th at 2pm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Just seen that Flamini is also out for tomorrows match with the Toons!!!
    Reckon they'll have to go with Gilberto and Diarra in the centre now!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

3 points Versus Villa/Newky/Boro is still counts the same as 3 points Versus Chelsea...

i disagree. A rival team (Chelsea) getting points could cost us the league. Boro, getting points, probably not.

Galvasean wrote: »
    i disagree. A rival team (Chelsea) getting points could cost us the league. Boro, getting points, probably not.

Perhaps, but the point I'm trying to make is that you have to beat the likes of Villa/Newky/Boro first and then worry about Chelsea. Losing to that sort of team (Boro etc, no offence to Boro fans) a few times will put the brakes on your title challenge fairly rapid and the games against Chelsea will be meaningless as a result.

Is Flattuso definitely out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

according to Arsene on arsenal.com, yes. Cesc will miss Boro at the weekend too but Flamini could be back by then.

Denilson's in the squad but just back from injury so I reckon it'll be another (better) chance for Diarra to show that he's first-team material... he's impressed me every time he's played so far so let's hope that continues.

Real killer is missing Hleb and Cesc at the same time. :mad:

• Advertisement

Hmm, not good. Rosicky better get the finger out tonight so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think Diarra plus Berto and a fit back four are well capable of keeping a clean sheet tonight.

I also think that Eboue with Sagna overlapping and Ade in the middle is worth one goal against a poor defence.

Here's hoping.

I think Arsenals full backs are gona be the biggest thing about tonights game. I think that going forward they will be a serious threat to Newcastles defense. At the same time, I think with Gilberto and Diarra/Denilson in midfield, the possession won't be as high as it normally is, so I think they might get a little exposed. Really annoyed i'm gona be missing it, I think it'll be a really interesting game, but I expect Arsenal to come through this test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I have a feeling Clichy will open his goalscoring account for the season tonight. He's a cracking full back and should go on a few more attacking dribbles because he's looked threatening the few times he has so far.

Although, they always seem to end in a pass around the edge of the box.
    Hopefully he'll be encouraged to shoot in those situations tonight with a handful of their genuine goalscoring threats out injured..... cos I have him in my FF team:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I fancy newcastle, Alderdyce teams have historically dealt well with Arsenal in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Nunu wrote: »
    I have a feeling Clichy will open his goalscoring account for the season tonight. He's a cracking full back and should go on a few more attacking dribbles because he's looked threatening the few times he has so far.

Although, they always seem to end in a pass around the edge of the box.
    Hopefully he'll be encouraged to shoot in those situations tonight with a handful of their genuine goalscoring threats out injured..... cos I have him in my FF team:D

Haha i'm pretty sure he's never scored a goal... ever. So tonight wouldn't be a bad time to start!:D
    Game might be a bit tricky with the combination of players missing, big Sam, and Given always playing amazingly against us. However i'd say we can come out with a win as long as we stay solid at the back. Hope Eduardo or Bendtner get a run out up front with Ade for this one, 4-5-1 is a no no without Hleb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

psi wrote: »
    I fancy newcastle, Alderdyce teams have historically dealt well with Arsenal in the premiership.
    With a settled system and a squad of players who all knew their roles within that system...

I don't think that really applies for tonight's game as Allardyce hasn't settled on a system at Newcastle yet. Bolton were a well-drilled team (that used set pieces very well) when they caused Arsenal trouble so if Newcastle draw or win tonight, it's gonna require a serious step up for them to reach that level of organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

psi wrote: »

They didn't deal with Arsenal earlier in the season, and that was before Newcastle were shocking bad.

Actually they didn't deal with Arsenals second team

Johannesburg - DR Congo striker Tresor Mputu's agent Bajo Bujani discloses that English Premiership giants Arsenal have tabled a concrete offer for the TP Mazembe player and that a deal could be completed by Monday next week.

Bujani told Kick Off that Mputu has also attracted interest from Spanish club, Sevilla FC.

Mputu recently spent 10 days training with the Gunners and reports have it that coach Arsene Wenger was impressed to the extent that he requested Arsenal's top management to open negotiations with the player's African club.

"While Sevilla have also shown great interest, I believe Tresor will end up in England. Arsenal have given TP Mazembe until Monday to respond to their offer and I'm convinced that the deal will be completed after the weekend," Bujani added.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Soccer/0,,2-9-840_2233249,00.html

Here's the very guy demonstrating how he'll deal with Gary Neville

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLcsYsdvSA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

2007-2008: 15 11 4 0 32 12 20 37
    2006-2007: 15 7 4 4 25 12 13 25 ( 4th)
    2005-2006: 15 8 2 5 22 13 9 26 ( 4th)
    2004-2005: 15 9 4 2 39 20 19 31 ( 2nd)
    2003-2004: 15 10 5 0 29 11 18 35 ( 1st)
    2002-2003: 15 10 2 3 33 16 17 32 ( 2nd)
    2001-2002: 15 8 5 2 33 17 16 29 ( 1st)
    2000-2001: 15 8 4 3 23 13 10 28 ( 2nd)
    1999-2000: 15 9 2 4 26 15 11 29 ( 2nd)
    1998-1999: 15 6 7 2 15 7 8 25 ( 2nd)
    1997-1998: 15 7 6 2 30 17 13 27 ( 1st)
    1996-1997: 15 9 4 2 29 13 16 31 ( 3rd)
    1995-1996: 15 8 4 3 21 10 11 28 ( 5th)
    1994-1995: 15 5 4 6 18 16 2 19 (12th)
    1993-1994: 15 7 5 3 15 8 7 26 ( 4th)
    1992-1993: 15 9 2 4 22 13 9 29 (10th)

Results after 15 games in all Premiership seasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hmmm all other times Arsenal were 1st after 15 games they went on to win the league. Nice

Sorry, that wasn't their position after 15 games, that's just where they finished up that season!

Remember guys, the Boro V Arsenal match kicks off tomorrow at 1:30 and is live on Setanta Sports 1!
    Still missing Fabregas, Flamini, Hleb and van Persie. Thats a lot of creativity to be missing. Hopefully we can get two in the first half, that should be enough to put Boro to the sword. Also, Im hoping for a more concentrayed second half performance from the Gunners. The last two were pretty uninspiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I always fear boro, we've a habit of losing to them when we're not expected to.

Back when they had Yakubu and Viduka, they were dangerous but, I don't think it's one we can possibly lose...for me worst case tomorrow is a draw...I hope this doesn't bite me in the ***!

I read today that Downing is Boro's top scorer with 3 goals, and hasn't scored in 10 games.
    That said I'm sure Aliadiere will be up to stop his old club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I really hope we dont see this silly 4-5-1 formation again with Eduardo on the left. Play him up top, Ade looks very isolated at times. Old fashioned 4-4-2 can do the business today.

Ah well the unbeaten start is over. We were very poor today, but without 4 key players things were bound to catch up with us. We particularly missed Hleb today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

jasonorr wrote: »
    Back when they had Yakubu and Viduka, they were dangerous but, I don't think it's one we can possibly lose...for me worst case tomorrow is a draw...I hope this doesn't bite me in the ***!

snigger

Its very important that we get Fabregas, Hleb and RVP back asap. They're absolutely vital to us having a good season. Eduardo has the No.9 curse too I fear. The likes of an Anelka or dare I say it Robbie Keane wouldn't be a bad idea. More pressing though is a winger. Modric s'il vous plait.

Next weekend is gonna be a big one for us.

. The likes of an Anelka or dare I say it Robbie Keane wouldn't be a bad idea. More pressing though is a winger. Modric s'il vous plait.

Maybe Anelka, but Robbie Keane?? Think thats your green hat talking :D

No I think he's ****e when pulls on a green shirt. But its been mentioned in the Man Utd thread about having Keane replace Saha. He's in great form for Spurs and knows where the goal is. It's not going to happen but he's the type of player we need.

No I think he's ****e when pulls on a green shirt. But its been mentioned in the Man Utd thread about having Keane replace Saha. He's in great form for Spurs and knows where the goal is. It's not going to happen but he's the type of player we need.

Thank God it won't happen.

We have just been very unlucky we have got key players injured at the same time.

Man Utd without Giggs,Ronaldo, Rooney would struggle.
    Chelsea without Lumps, Drogba Terry would struggle.
    Liverpool without Gerrard would struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Not being pedantic but nobody was talking about Keane as a replacement for Saha. It was more Anelka or Berbatov for Saha and Keane as a fourth striker, ala Solksjaer.

What's the story with Fabregas, Hleb and Van Persie? How long are they expected to be out for?

• Advertisement

Flamini could be back midweek.
    RVP hast started training again but don't think he will be rushed back.

Fabregas and Hleb may not be back in time for Chelsea.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I heard all 3(fabregas, hleb and flamini) should be back for the chelsea game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Its very important that we get Fabregas, Hleb and RVP back asap. They're absolutely vital to us having a good season. Eduardo has the No.9 curse too I fear. The likes of an Anelka or dare I say it Robbie Keane wouldn't be a bad idea. More pressing though is a winger. Modric s'il vous plait.

Next weekend is gonna be a big one for us.

But, if it's a typical winger you're after he ain't the answer.
    Undoubtedly, he'd be a great aquisition to any top side, but he's a central midfield playmaker.

We're brutal without Fabregas and Hleb. I'm not sure how anyone could have thought there was no way this game could have been lost given the performances against Villa and Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think your lack of squad debt and form away from home showed today and against Newcastle. To be fair, yea were missing some of your best players and any time would struggle if that were the case BUT the rest of the team looked quite tried and sluggish I thought and there wasn't really anyone to come in and take their place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Debt or depth? One good, one bad :D

Mike.

Tusky wrote: »
    I think your lack of squad debt and form away from home showed today and against Newcastle. To be fair, yea were missing some of your best players and any time would struggle if that were the case BUT the rest of the team looked quite tried and sluggish I thought and there wasn't really anyone to come in and take their place.

You can't adequately replace players like Fabregas, Hleb and Van Persie with players from the squad. Same way Liverpool can't adequately replace Gerrard, Carragher and Torres or Man Utd replace Ferdinand, Rooney and Ronaldo.

Basically those kind of absences hurt teams. It's hurting us at the minute and the next couple of games are a big test. They're a young team however and while I don't think this year will be their year, with a few shrewd aquisitions in Jan/Summer I think Arsenal could challenge on all fronts next year and sustain it.

As Nunu pointed out, Modric's preferred postition is an AM playmaker, but he can play on the wings, he would definitely have helped today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Just read on Sky Sports that Ajax are putting together a bid for Modric. 15m was mentioned. We really need to get him first. If the money is there, and we all know it is, it should be spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Gah i hate being kinda right. Well at least none of players got their first goal by scoring for boro, ala reyes and edu.

Worst Arsenal performance Ive seen in a while. One shot on target in the 94th minute against relegation strugglers is simply not good enough. Arsenal could field any starting XI and still should be able to put a team like Boro to the sword.

Couldn't agree more with Galvasean. i think amongst the Arsenal stable of champion racehorses there is a few donkeys., namely Diarra, Eboue, Bendtner, Walcott, Senderos, Gilberto. Not good enough by the huge standards this club sets

We need creative players IMO.

At this stage, I can't see why Wenger would persist with Diarra and Berto and not start Denilson. I do think that he's been seriously unlucky though. Diaby woudl have done a decent job for us over the last two games as well.

If no players fit vrs Chelsea then I think it has to be. 4-4-2

Diarra/Denilson/Eboue/Rosicky
    Ade/Bendtner

Theo and Eduardo to come on if we're chasing the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Good passing football will only get you so far against a team like, say, Rangers. ;) Arsenal need a C.Ronaldo or a Kaka.

They have one in Hleb. He's amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Ha its great to see Hleb getting praised so much this year, he really is a superb player and he has finally realised his potential this year. The thing i think he is lacking is real pace and shooting ability like Ronaldo and Kaka have. Still his close control more than makes up for the lack of pace, its amazing how he can keep the ball in tight situations.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement