Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Galvasean wrote: »
    I wouldn't miss Gilberto and Diarra leaving in January. I think we would have adequate cover if we signed in some young central midfielder. Having Fabregas, Flamini and Diaby + 1 other is enough

Denilson as well.........i think he class.......reminds me of cesc when he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I wouldn't miss Gilberto and Diarra leaving in January. I think we would have adequate cover if we signed in some young central midfielder. Having Fabregas, Flamini and Diaby + 1 other is enough

Diarra has looked quite good so far, I hope we hang onto him, why sell Diarra only to sign another midfielder,Wenger won't sign a midfielder in January. The only area I can see him strengthening is CB and a goalkeeper if Mad Jens leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Feel sorry for poor old Diarra and Diaby, flamini playing out of his skin was the last thing they expected. Would'nt really blame diarra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think the main thing for Diarra is Flamini.

Wenger could keep Flamini because Gilberto was ageing and a place would be coming up for grabs.

With Flamini on the verge of a five year deal at the age of 23, it must be obvious to Diarra that, barring injury, he'll neven make the first team.

We can't get rid of Diarra and Gilberto without replacing them. Then we're stuck for defensive midfielders if Flamini gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Central midfield is about partnerships - out of Denilson, Fabregas, Flamini, Diarra, Gilberto, Diaby (though he's not played there yet), you have to look at how many balanced partnerships we have.

Look at the partnerships yourselves but I think we absolutely need Diarra. Personally I'd like to hang onto Gilberto till summer but I'd rather keep Diarra for current and future reasons if it came to a straight choice.

Denilson can get stuck in but he's cover for Cesc as far as I'm concerned. Diaby is a good worker too but I consider him cover for Hleb/Rosicky primarily - again he doesn't do the job Gilberto/Flamini do. For me, Diarra is the one who best fits into that mould but he's got far better passing than either of them to go with his tenacity.

A 5-year deal for Flamini doesn't exclude injuries/loss of form and if Diarra goes, I wouldn't fancy Cesc + anyone else as much as I would Cesc + Diarra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Whats in that for Diarra though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Yeah Id say Diarra is loving this alright, at Chelsea he is waitng for Makalae to retire and Essien to lose form or get injured so he moves to Arsenal looking for first team football and now he is waitnig for Gilberto to move on and Flamini to lose form or get injured before he can get a game! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have no sympathy for Diarra. If he taught he was coming to Arsenal for easy first team football he was sorely mistaken.
    Will he play tonight against B'burn? Probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

And he'll proabably play well. He's been excellent in any game he's played this season. He just happens to be unlucky that Flamini is having a superb season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hmmm, Eduardo has 9 appearances in the league and 0 goals. 8 in Europe/League cup and 7 goals. Looked very comfortable in front of goal tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Hmmm, Eduardo has 9 appearances in the league and 0 goals. 8 in Europe/League cup and 7 goals. Looked very comfortable in front of goal tonight.

Aye. he strikes me as one of those all or nothing players. looks ****e for 70 or 80 minutes then comes up with a bit of magic to seal the deal. that analysis could be very wrong, but either way i want to see more of him. Just with RVP, Ade and Bendtner will we ever see him get a nice long run?

Hopefully Eduardo will overcome the no. 9 curse ;)

Diaby impressed me very much tonight, turned in an excellent performance. :)

Eduardo's an amazing finisher.

In an continental team, he'd be amazing just playing off the shoulder touching the ball only a few times but coming up with the goods when in front of goal.

To be successful in the Arsenal first team he needs to add a bit more to his game - which I have no doubt he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have to say I'm so impressed with our young guns. Losing a two goal lead (especially considering the first one was highly dubious) and getting a man (or is that boy?) sent off and still finding the resources to nab a win, which only the most hardened Spud could deny they deserved, was some achievement.
    They showed not only great skill and guile, but also tremendous character. All with an average squad age of 19! :eek:
    I was very impressed with Randall. Wallcott better watch out!

Arsenal B for the cup!

Also note that Walcott was left out. With the injury to Eboue, he's a definite starter for Saturday and the forseeable future if he plays well.

Theo Walcott - THY TIME HAS COME!!!

Seriously, we paid a fair bit for him and he's done well, progressed and shown us some good stuff. Now it's time for him to contribute to the first team and help get us some very important results.

I've always been on the fence about Walcott, assuming that much of his press was hype due to his English origins. The next few weeks will tell.

PHB wrote: »
    Whats in that for Diarra though?
    I can fully see Diarra's frustration - but I think a wee bit of patience in terms of waiting for Flamini to lose form/get injured and he could see himself regularly starting in a really top side... I love how Flamini's performing but I can't help but think that it's possible he's slightly overachieving now

As for Walcott, he can convert any doubters with a good display against Spurs - great chance for him

I have to say I'm so impressed with our young guns. Losing a two goal lead (especially considering the first one was highly dubious) and getting a man (or is that boy?) sent off and still finding the resources to nab a win, which only the most hardened Spud could deny they deserved, was some achievement.
    They showed not only great skill and guile, but also tremendous character. All with an average squad age of 19! :eek:
    I was very impressed with Randall. Wallcott better watch out!

Have to agree the future really is bright, bet the board are happy, can't see Wenger having to spend much money in Jan and nxt summer.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

gosplan wrote: »
    Also note that Walcott was left out. With the injury to Eboue, he's a definite starter for Saturday and the forseeable future if he plays well.

Theo Walcott - THY TIME HAS COME!!!

Seriously, we paid a fair bit for him and he's done well, progressed and shown us some good stuff. Now it's time for him to contribute to the first team and help get us some very important results.

I've always been on the fence about Walcott, assuming that much of his press was hype due to his English origins. The next few weeks will tell.
    Walcott was sick.

Walcott was sick.

yup, his mum phoned up Arsene on Tuesday morning to tell him he had an upset stomach.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    yup, his mum phoned up Arsene on Tuesday morning to tell him he had an upset stomach.

Nope i heard he told Wenger that the dog ate his tactics homework.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2992388,00.html

Terry said Eboues deserved a red, is everyone suffering amnesia and forgotten his tackle on fabs.

Nope i heard he told Wenger that the dog ate his tactics homework.

:D

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2992388,00.html

Terry said Eboues deserved a red, is everyone suffering amnesia and forgotten his tackle on fabs.

Yup that makes me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Terry gets away with watever he wants in the PL.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Terry gets away with watever he wants in the PL.

yeah, i for one was delighted to see the Chelsea boys get a taste of their own medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yee have Spurs for the Carling cup semi final anyway, probably the better option as Everton are on much better form. Spurs have some decent players, but i'd say yee should get past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Aye. he strikes me as one of those all or nothing players. looks ****e for 70 or 80 minutes then comes up with a bit of magic to seal the deal. that analysis could be very wrong, but either way i want to see more of him. Just with RVP, Ade and Bendtner will we ever see him get a nice long run?

Eduardo reminds me almost of Romario, a player who Bobby Robson said stood still for 80 minutes and then was the sharpest and quickest over 10 yards when a chance fell to him.

I think Wenger is trying to mould him into a more team player (getting involved in build up, running down the channels etc).

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yee have Spurs for the Carling cup semi final anyway, probably the better option as Everton are on much better form. Spurs have some decent players, but i'd say yee should get past them.

A touch of deja vu would do nicely indeed :)

Terry gets away with everything cause he is England captain, but he's actually pushing it much further than Shearer ever did, which is why I think lots in the FA are annoyed at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Eduardo reminds me almost of Romario, a player who Bobby Robson said stood still for 80 minutes and then was the sharpest and quickest over 10 yards when a chance fell to him.

I think Wenger is trying to mould him into a more team player (getting involved in build up, running down the channels etc).
    He's a bit of a fox in the box (that saying makes me laugh so much thinking of that waster)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Good old Frannie, he never let us down...

• Advertisement

Even though i don't eat it, possibly my most favoutire dish ever.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Robbo/Alumini - Robbo ****s all over him in my book when Robbo is on form like the last few games he's one of the best around.

Chimbo/Sagna - They're ****n identical in their playing styles not much in it there.

Lee/Glichy - Glichy is probably a bit better than Lee going forward as he has a good left peg and is fast as **** he's probably got Lee.

Kaboul/Gallas - Depends what Kaboul we see because the one from the last few games has been incredible but even so Gallas is fecking class and always shows up.

Zokora/Toure - At CB Toure hands down but Zoko has been playing very well there hopefully he'll be available because of the appeal process.

Lennon/Rosicky - Lennon is a better winger and will hopefully keep Glichy pinned back most of the game but Rosicky is very skilful to. I'd pick Lennon though everytime for RW

Malbranque/Hleb - Malbranque has been lethal for us lately but Hleb is a dangerman too and there's not much in it between these 2 on present form.

Boateng/Fabregas - If Boateng is given a man-marking job on Fab I think Boa would thrive and shut the little diving prima donna down. Boa is strong reads the game well and tackles powerfully and clean. This match up could decide the game but Fab will start hitting the dirt as soon as he sees Boa so the ref will most likely play a big part in this particular battle if he lets protects Fab or treats him like a regular player.

Jenas/Flamini - JJ at present would **** all over Flamini I'm confident JJ and Boa can win the midfield battle.

Berbatov/Adebayor - Both great target men but I think Berbs is a more complete player and his finishing is better but Adebayor is not one to underestimate he's got a very good alround game.

Keano/Van Pervie - both quality but Keano is a special type of player and with the goon rusty coming back from injuries I would take Keano everyday of the week.
    Taken from thfctalk.com.

Arsenal haven't got a prayer lads, might as well not bother turning up.

wow, that's actually impressive.

Taken from thfctalk.com.

:D priceless, sad how deluded they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i should hope i have never been blinded enough by my own team love so much that i would say that i would rather have keane ahead of van persie, or jenas ahead of flamini for that matter, of course i may take kaboul over gallas lol what kind of nonsense is that? or maybe what kind of drugs is he on! i definatly want some

Has the aforementioned fan watched Spurs at all this season? I mean Zokora at CB with Kaboul.... if Birmingham can put 3 on them then..... ;)

Edit: I do hope you did some stealthy trolling while on that tiny tots forum Pepe?

Actually its not bad, i've read much much worse comparisions.

Hmmm... Lemme think, which would I prefer, Robbie Keane or Robin Van Persie in the Irish team?

...Daddy or chips...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I guess the guys at the Spurs website would also argue that being twelfth in the table with 18 points is a stronger position than being first in the table with 40 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

What i find really stupid is for every position except cental midfield they compare like with like, striker to striker, leftback to leftback. However for midfield the compare Fab to Boateng and Flamini to Jenas, whouldn't the correct comparrison be Boateng/Flamini and Jenas/Fab.
    I'm obviously ignoring the ludicrous player reviews.

• Advertisement

that was a hilarious way to wake up this morning. good find. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

It's Arsenal vs AC Milan
    We can take them !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

To be the best, you must beat the best. That is how I see it. I am looking forward to the games. Hopefully Arsenal will be injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

If there is any time we want to meet AC its now......top of the table playing some breath taking footie.........reckon we can take them lads really do.......defo tie of the round.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    To be the best, you must beat the best. That is how I see it. I am looking forward to the games. Hopefully Arsenal will be injury free.

That's clearly not the case though! But, if we go on to win the Champions League after knocking out Milan, nobody can question whether we deserved to win it or not!

jasonorr wrote: »
    That's clearly not the case though! But, if we go on to win the Champions League after knocking out Milan, nobody can question whether we deserved to win it or not!

Whoever lifts the trophy in May is a deserving winner.

Taken from thfctalk.com.

Even apart from the futility of these kinds of player v player exercises anyway, this one makes Mr Alan look like all he ever does is slag off his own players...

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Whoever lifts the trophy in May is a deserving winner.

Not in everybodys opinion! If a team has an "easy" path to picking up the trophy, there are always gonna be moans and groans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Hehe even as a Spurs fan those comparisions are funny! I expect a pretty sound beating tomorrow, and a lesson in how to play great football with some great players. That doesn't mean I'll be happy about it as there are lots of players I really dislike on the Arsenal team, but in almost every position we're behind you guys. Everywhere except up front really.

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    Not in everybodys opinion! If a team has an "easy" path to picking up the trophy, there are always gonna be moans and groans!

That is the nature of the draw. Tough **** if you get a tough route to the final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement