Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

A tough draw. but over two legs I think we have an excellent chance. Lets hope we have no injuries around that time, we have no reason for fear AC imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Well the last time we drew a top sidde, we did well. Its one game i've always wanted to see, used be a huge milan fan. Should be a cracking game, does anyone know are we drawn on the same night as united?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't think that's been decided yet...I think Arsenal could cause a lot of problems for Milan, with all that pace!

Hope we're not on the same night, altho Manu Lyon will be a cracking game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Last year I was delighted when we were drawn against PSV Eindhoven. :( So, no complaints this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Pepe, please post jokes in the humour forum in future ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I guess Spurs will have to wait a bit longer for that 'power shift'ing win theyve been talking about for a while now. Havent beaten us since '99. Lets hope we can make it an even decade! :D

Highlights on the Premiership tonight at 8. I was in work for the game :(
    Although I hear we were actually fairly lucky all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

If I was a Spurs fan I would be feeling pretty depressed. We play crap and they still can't beat us.

Fabregas and Adebayor were fairly poor today - except when they combined for the first goal. Fab's backheel was sublime, and Adebayor finished in style. Bendtner's winner was excellent. I was so glad to see him coming on as sub as he's the kind of player that was needed for that particular game. Walcott (if not flu bound) wouldn't have had the same impact.

Berbatov showed some skill, but really looked like he had plenty of other things he'd rather be doing on a Saturday lunchtime. Robbie Keane was truly awful.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Still no van Persie in the match 16 and 4-5-1 again. Groan.

Hleb and Fabregas need to sharpen up tonight or points will be dropped.

• Advertisement

Still no van Persie in the match 16 and 4-5-1 again. Groan.

Hleb and Fabregas need to sharpen up tonight or points will be dropped.

Have faith.:)

A draw against Pompey is'nt the worst result. Altho i'm beginning to think he's going to have to bring on Bendtner a bit earlier or start with 2 up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Against a team like Pompey who had ten men behind the ball at most times having two up front is essential. I don't see how Wenger didn't realise this sooner. Poor old Adebayor can't always hack it on his own. He needs somebody to play off. Hleb didn't look fit at all. He was miles away of the blistering form he showed before his injury. I can't stand when we play 4-5-1. Sheesh, its not like we are lacking in strikers! Sure we miss RvP, but Bendtner and Eduardo have shown recently that they are competent replacements. That match against Portsmouth was both boring and frustrating to watch. We actually played quite well in the last ten minutes, no coincidence that we had two up front by then. I just kept asking myself, why didn't we do that sooner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm sorry, how can you say Portsmouth had ten men behind the ball all the time? In the first half, they were certainly the most likely to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

Portsmouth never looked like scoring in the first half, neither did we for that matter.

4-5-1 works just as well as 4-4-2 it just depends on how individuals perform on the day. Cesc and Adeboy where not really up for the game and Hleb never got going so put that into whatever formation and you'll 9/10 get the same result. 4-5-1 has worked more times than not for us, it got us to the Champions League final not to long ago.

Everton on Saturday? Everything on paper says a draw but we really need this one to be title challengers. These are the games that Champions win.

I think we will nick it :D

Good result today, fully expected us to be 3-4 points behind united after today. Eduardo showed us what he was capable of. Weird game we were sh1te first half, we finally got a plan B and it did the business for us today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've been saying all season, play 4-4-2 with Eduardo up top and we'll win games. The guy is lethal and its been bugging the life out of me to see AW play him on the left wing. Gonna miss the Flamster on Saturday, but Diarra should get a game.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I've been saying all season, play 4-4-2 with Eduardo up top and we'll win games. The guy is lethal and its been bugging the life out of me to see AW play him on the left wing. Gonna miss the Flamster on Saturday, but Diarra should get a game.

We have won 14 out of 20 games this season, top of the league, Arsene knows ;)

As for Flamini, reckon he got booked on purpose, as he will now miss Burnley match in FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

keano_afc wrote: »

Diarra for Flattuso should be pretty seamless. I do agree that Ade and Eduardo would be a good partnership. I always like to see a smaller guy playing off a big guy.

Wenger has brought Vela back to Arsenal, according to arseblog.

\o/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Wenger has brought Vela back to Arsenal, according to arseblog.

\o/

F*ck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

How's he been doing in Spain, Pepe? He must have got a work permit for the UK now I guess.

Tis mad that Arsenal needs a winger but Wenger doesn't need to splash the cash since he's got a ready made wonderkid ready to go!

Vela's Been doing pretty good apparently. Several spanish clubs were interested but the foreigner status cooled their interest. Wonder how he'll do over here with Robbie Savage and co kickng lumps out of him.

Eduardo's finally beginning to show why we got him, christ the guy can finish, the way he took the goal against W.Ham was beautiful.

Eduardo is beginning to remind me of a lad that we play 5 a side with, he's a complete lazy fecker for the whole match, strolls around, but by **** does he know how to position himself and where the goal is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Eduardo has taken longer to fit into Arsenal than I thought, but now that he is, he is looking immense. His finishing reminds me of Ruud, which is pretty much the highest level I've ever seen anyone finish at. He also looks to have that ability to keep up with Arsenals movement. Gona be some player I think. Him and Van Persie is frightening.

And where does Adebayor fit into all that? :eek:

Actually, wrong smiley...

This is the one :)

Hmm Bendtner ain't too shabby either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

cson wrote: »
    And where does Adebayor fit into all that? :eek:

Actually, wrong smiley...

This is the one :)

Hmm Bendtner ain't too shabby either.

is Carlos Vela as promising as FM makes out?

He might emerge soon.

EDIT: hmmm should of read above a few posts

Is he the Mexican lad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Is he the Mexican lad?

Yeah

Just reading his wiki and he cost 2.5 million, should have a work permit granted this month

He has already played for Mexico twice and scored.

• Advertisement

Hehe, recognised the name off Pro Evo's "players with future potential list"!

He's more of a winger than striker. Exactly what we need. A kick up Rosickys arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

well i put faith in FM and if thats anything to go by he is going to be ****ing amazing!! although i must say, i play him as a striker or a support striker in FM...............................for man u :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

cson wrote: »
    He's more of a winger than striker. Exactly what we need. A kick up Rosickys arse.

I think he may be playing as a winger but his best position is as a striker!

I haven't seen a great deal of Vela in La Liga this season (apart from that clip where he nutmegs Sergio Ramos by the corner flag, I've watched that many times :)), but the reports have been very good. The fans over there seem to have really taken to him, which is a good sign.

Wenger recently said that Vela would join up with Arsenal in the summer so one would have to assume that van Persie's continued injury problems have caused him to re-evaluate those plans, and that we will see him in action sooner rather than later. Of course it could be simply that Wenger feels having him in England for the next few months acclimatising will mean that he will be fully settled by the start of next season, but Wenger isn't generally one to change his mind on something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ha HA!

I'm back. When referring to those noble, sporting, wholesome, perfect role-models that make up the Chelsea teams in rather derisory terms, I somehow picked up a two week ban.

And so much missed.

1: Eduardo is a finisher up there with the best of them - Ortega, Battigol, whoever. If he can round of his game he'll be one of the best. How do you get so cool in front of goal - are you born with it?

2: Adebayor's goal against West Ham was unbelievable. People have said 'good' and 'nice finish' but I urge you to watch it again (in slow-mo). Moving at full speed, he manages to swivel his body 90 degrees and then swivel the angle of his foot another 90 to curl it in the only fashion it would have entered the goal. So effectively he's running one way and curls the ball back towards himself or something.

3: Will Vela play in the matches against Tottenham? Man I hope so. Our usual Carling Cup heroics along with Spurs love of goals - both conceeding and scoring - should make for two crazy games. Bet on over 4.5 goals or something.

4: League getting interesting. Man U stuttered a bit and I didn't expect it at all. The really looked invincible for a while there. Near as I can remember we've a lot of medium difficulty matches for the moment, then three really big matches in four weeks and then a run-in against relegation fodder. Hell, I don't know if we'll win but all you can say is so-far, so-good. I can see us going on a run but I can't see Man U losing many points either. One thing that's turned in our favour recently is the emergence of one or two other good team players (and a great new long ball tactic) whereas Carrick can now be taken to be not so good and Man U look very short on ideas whenever Rooney doesn't play. That said it's all still very up in the air and two points isn't much at all.

good to be back - i love chelsea

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Ha HA!

3: Will Vela play in the matches against Tottenham? Man I hope so. Our usual Carling Cup heroics along with Spurs love of goals - both conceeding and scoring - should make for two crazy games. Bet on over 4.5 goals or something.

I'm actually not sure he is back.

Apparently arseblog is wrong. Whoops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

i'm not sure bringing vela back now would be the best move - it sends a slightly mixed message to walcott (who wenger ultimately sees as a frontman) and bendtner (who talks a big game and, for me anyway, is backing it up this season with performances) in terms of the opportunities they can expect to get and how wenger rates their performances so far... apart from that, vela's getting excellent la liga experience at the moment and i don't see any need to bring him back for carling cup experience (maximum of three matches)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any chance of Beckham playing 2 or 3 games, even during the ANC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I sincerely doubt hes eligible

• Advertisement

Pacifico wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt hes eligible

Well technically he could, we could sign him on loan,but as Arsene has said it is a non starter.

Have to say I'm a big fan of Beckham but don't think we will see him playing for us.
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=485997&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Beckham+trains+with+Arsenal+-+video+and+pics

Back on the subject of Vela, i watched a YouTube clip of him vs Real. Have to say he didn't exactly blow me away. He gave away the ball on umpteen occasions. He was blown off it very easily. He did win frees but he wont get some of them frees he won on a cold night in Lancashire (sad to say that the Bolton's and the Blackburn's are the barometer by which he measure a players ability to settle into the English game).

He did nutmeg Sergio Ramos nicely near the corner flag at one stage and to be fair when he lost the ball he harried to get it back. I suppose the fact he was on the ball so much is an indication of his overall work rate. There is also the 'Hleb' factor. He may have been trying to put the ball through the eye of a needle on too many occasions. I suppose he is young but needs alot of fine tuning. All I'm saying is don't expect too much. he needs time. a loan spell in the championship when he comes to england may be just the thing.

Very refreshing and enjoyable cup game today even if burnley had to beaten us, it would have been fair and square.They were excellent Fair play to them. Unlike the spoilers we normally play up north, they tried to play football and were very very unlucky. man sent off was harsh but i suppose the ref felt that high footed/two footed tackles have to be eradicated somewhere. A booking though might have been more appropriate.

Another cool finish from Eduardo. Had a great game and his overall contribution was top notch. Bendtner though is wildly overrated imo. Granted he has good touches at times but can be very lazy and awkward. Still i suppose he's chipping in with a few goals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

10 goals in 14 starts for dudo.
    Not bad. Should have had 2 though.

Another cool finish from Eduardo. Had a great game and his overall contribution was top notch. Bendtner though is wildly overrated imo. Granted he has good touches at times but can be very lazy and awkward. Still i suppose he's chipping in with a few goals
    I think Eduardo and Bendtner drifted in and out of the game about as much as each other yesterday tbh - much like most of the Arsenal team did. While Burnley did well, Arsenal didn't keep possession well at all without Hleb/Rosicky/Fabregas

Home to Stoke or Newcastle in 4th round... could have been easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Home to Stoke or Newcastle in 4th round... could have been easier

Haven't you seen newcastle lately? You'd have an harder time with stoke.

Would like to be responsible for Sam Walrus getting the hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I think Eduardo and Bendtner drifted in and out of the game about as much as each other yesterday tbh - much like most of the Arsenal team did. While Burnley did well, Arsenal didn't keep possession well at all without Hleb/Rosicky/Fabregas

yeah, Very poor showing from Diaby IMO. He's much better than that and should be showing it when given the chance. Eboue was totally rubbish as well. Apart from defending well he offers cllose to zip at RMF.

Denlison not as good as we've seen him and Berto fairly rusty.

Really unsure how they'll do on Wednesday. Spurs are banging in goals at the moment, conceeding them too but I can't see us playing too much silky football with that line up.

Pump them long balls up to Bendtner and Eduardo I say!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Congrats on early qualification for the 5th round in the cup.

:(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement