Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Morf wrote: »
    Haven't you seen newcastle lately? You'd have an harder time with stoke.
    yes, i saw them frustrate arsenal very effectively recently. i also saw a very poor performance from arsenal against burnley who are behind stoke in the championship. i'm just not going to take anything for granted when arsenal aren't at their best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

And if Allardyce is involved, always finds a way to f us up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

PHB wrote: »
    I'm sorry, how can you say Portsmouth had ten men behind the ball all the time? In the first half, they were certainly the most likely to score.

most of the time.

Arsenals website says RvP shall be unleashed upon Spurs tomorrow, rejoice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Galvasean wrote: »
    Arsenals website says RvP shall be unleashed upon Spurs tomorrow, rejoice!

Great news but unfortunately it means he'll be injured again soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Saw this article this morning in the indo
    Interesting insight into the youth set up with comments from Bouldy and Chippy

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/bradys-vision-1261356.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Evil_Clown wrote: »

Very good cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Super stuff, thanks.

yup, nice one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Straight to the point, we were woeful tonight. Its a miracle we're still in with a shout. Defensively totally inept, I'm more worried than I was before about our back line without Kolo. Walcott poor again, can he cut it?? I hope this is just a vent in the heat of the moment but I was very alarmed with what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

keano_afc wrote: »
    Straight to the point, we were woeful tonight. Its a miracle we're still in with a shout. Defensively totally inept, I'm more worried than I was before about our back line without Kolo. Walcott poor again, can he cut it?? I hope this is just a vent in the heat of the moment but I was very alarmed with what I saw.

No Kolo is a big worry. Re Tonight, yes we were poor but give the kids a chance,they still pulled off a draw against the Spuds first team, Arsene believes in the kids which is why they will play in the second leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Looking for an escape route already.... Ye should tell him where to go after the BS he fed ye about not wanting to leave..

Archimedes wrote: »
    Looking for an escape route already.... Ye should tell him where to go after the BS he fed ye about not wanting to leave..

Think his personal life played a huge part. He owed us nothing in the end, an Arsenal legend, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd be extremely surprised if Arsene would take him back. An Arsenal legend yes, but I don't see how him returning would do any good.

• Advertisement

I'd be extremely surprised if Arsene would take him back. An Arsenal legend yes, but I don't see how him returning would do any good.

Maybe not as a player. But he loves London so who knows,I am sure we could find a job for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Pretty sure that Henry has no interest in "playing" for Arsenal again, means in some sort of capacity when his career is finished a la Solskjear or Shearer.

fair enough

Arsenal were underwhelming today and got lucky. On the other hand Tottenham couldn't beat our second string. I'm sure Wenger will stick with the young guns for leg two. He'd be mad not to with the fixtures list the way it is. Van Persie was far from match fit. Hopefully he can recover soon. Probably would have ben better off with Eduardo from the start, but good contribution from the forward setting up Wallcott.

Sky Sports news report Fran Merida will go to Real Sociadad on loan for the rest of the season.
    Also Everton, Newcastle, Man City, Spurs, PSG, Lyon, Marseilles and several others are all said to be interested in Lassana Diarra. Some papers say Arsenal are commanding a transfer fee of up to £6million. Not a bad bit of business if they can pull it off.

Sad if Diarra goes, he must be on his way if he was'nt played in the last 2 games. going on loan was mentioned somewhere, the flamster still has'nt signed anything so we may need him come next season.

Sad if Diarra goes

It's an awful shame to see Diarra go. I've never really rated Diaby and his last two games (Burnley & Spurs) have shown that he isn't good enough to break into our first team.

He held onto the ball too long, made poor passed and didn't look threatening at all. Denilson was also terrible last night although I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as in the past he has shown that he has a similar style to Fabregas's when it comes to creative play.

• Advertisement

As with everyone I think we were very lucky last night,
    I thought Gilberto was woeful and that we should let him go and try to keep Diarra, especially now with Senderos and Djouru injured.
    Hoyte was pretty good at centre half when he came inside and the team looked much better with Sagna (he has been a fantastic signing)
    I am really begin to worry about van Persie he seems to have a bit of the Michael Owen always injured syndrome and it is a real pity
    Arsenal need another centre half in the window after that display last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In fairness our back four got no pretection at all last night and were constantly faced with our midfield losing the ball just when they were moving up the pitch to support.

Our weakness in that game and others recently were down to the fact that our midfield couldn't keep the ball.

Senderos didn't mess around at all and IMO he's got to pair Gallas for the next month.

Just remember though Spurs played well, we had a total second strong side with some players just back from injury and we still didn't lose - though probably deserved to.

We just look weak whenever we have to rely on diaby, denilson and gilberto as they're all having bad seasons.

gosplan wrote: »
    In fairness our back four got no pretection at all last night and were constantly faced with our midfield losing the ball just when they were moving up the pitch to support.

Our weakness in that game and others recently were down to the fact that our midfield couldn't keep the ball.

Senderos didn't mess around at all and IMO he's got to pair Gallas for the next month.

Just remember though Spurs played well, we had a total second strong side with some players just back from injury and we still didn't lose - though probably deserved to.

We just look weak whenever we have to rely on diaby, denilson and gilberto as they're all having bad seasons.

Sorry but that's absolute rubbish, these are two very promising players and Gilberto, who was by far our best player last season, who just need more gametime or maybe need to be sent out on loan (obviously for Gilberto, he's a backup player now) but you can't criticise them since they rarely play!

% of Premiership games:
    Gilberto - 28%
    Diaby - 23%
    Denilson - 15%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Denilson's looked pretty poor this season to be honest. Last year he was the stand out player from the Carling Cup team, now he's not up to much. Gilberto looks like he doesn't want to be there and Diaby can be frustrating at times, spends far too much time on the ball and gets caught out.

The only players I thought looked any good against Spurs were Fabianski and Traore. Bendtner and Eduardo weren't terrible, got not service all game.

Denilson's looked pretty poor this season to be honest. Last year he was the stand out player from the Carling Cup team, now he's not up to much. Gilberto looks like he doesn't want to be there and Diaby can be frustrating at times, spends far too much time on the ball and gets caught out.

The only players I thought looked any good against Spurs were Fabianski and Traore. Bendtner and Eduardo weren't terrible, got not service all game.

I'm not saying whether any of them have looked good or not this season but none of them have got enough time on the pitch!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Sorry but that's absolute rubbish, these are two very promising players

I'm sorry but it's not rubbish. Diaby has had plenty of time to prove himself and hasn't. He may have some good attributes but he's constantly giving the ball away in vunerable positions and offers little in the way of going forward.

To reiterate my previous comment about Denilson, I think he's got talent and fantastic potential but he's been playing very poorly this season. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in the Spurs and Burnley match as a lot of the team played poorly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Denilson has been playing in poor teams most of the time, and has usually been one of the best players. He was the only midfielder with a clue against Spurs.

I'm not saying whether any of them have looked good or not this season but none of them have got enough time on the pitch!

both managed to look far more convincing last year wwith the same game time.

That's not really the point...they were very impressive last year but it's unfair to expect a player to perform without gametime!

Arseblog saying Diarra asked to be left out but he was'nt in the right frame of mind for wednesdays game. At least he did'nt do a sol and leave it till half time.

• Advertisement

That's not really the point...they were very impressive last year but it's unfair to expect a player to perform without gametime!

Not disagreeing with you but we do expect that because they have performed well in the past.

It is too much to ask of young players, especially when they don't have game time but that's what's special about the Arsenal second string and why they're lauded so much.

Very disappointing result against Birmingham. Nothing worse than being all over a team and not winning.

The Story of last year. 22 shots, 6 on targets very bad, at least make the keeper work

See Beckham was sitting in the players seats today with his kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He's training with Arsenal during the MLS off season isnt he?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He's training with Arsenal during the MLS off season isnt he?

Yes, close to where he lives.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=news&article=485997&cpid=703&title=Beckham+trains+with+Arsenal+-+video+and+pics

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

IMO this is why it is sometimes a bad idea to rest most of your players during cup runs - they just take too long to get back into the swing of things.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    IMO this is why it is sometimes a bad idea to rest most of your players during cup runs - they just take too long to get back into the swing of things.

So when will the kids get an opportunity to get much needed first team football experience.

Birmingham was a minor blip,nothing to do with resting players imo,we were a bit complacent though, we will bounce back

Anyone watching Arsenal TV, official launch was tonight. Sky Ch 423.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Anyone watching Arsenal TV, official launch was tonight. Sky Ch 423.

Is that on Corus at all? I hear the subscription is €13 a year.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Is that on Corus at all? I hear the subscription is €13 a year.

Don't think so,possibly only with sky at the moment,comes free if you have Setanta.

Some good stuff on it although lots of repeats but that is to be expected I suppose.

If like me Dennis Bergkamp was your favourite Arsenal player

here is a nice article by a fellow fan
    http://www.arsenal.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=503570

It's official Diarra has left Arsenal FC for Pompey
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/7193782.stm

A pity really cos he good have been a very good player for us however his impatience and narrow mindedness has got the better of him, Arsenal looked to have made a decent profit from him however so that at least is good.

Lets hope Flamini signs that new contract as that is now more important than ever, losing Diarra and Gilberto's erratic form mean the last thing we need is to loose the Flamster

his impatience and narrow mindedness has got the better of him
    Hang on, I wanted Diarra to stay (cos I think he's class and Flamini's not going to stay fit/in this form forever) but that's completely unfair - he came to Arsenal to escape an identical situation at Chelsea and has found himself unexpectedly frozen out. He's playing for France but not at club level.

Even though I'd be surprised if he was guaranteed first team football by Wenger (as Diarra briefly claimed), the fact that Gilberto was not made captain suggested that there was a good opening for him. With a full pre-season at Arsenal, he might have got the nod while Gilberto was at the Copa America (he probably would have been ahead of Flamini in that race).

So even though I like him a lot as a player and wanted him to stay, I can see why he'd be getting itchy feet when this is the exact situation he came to Arsenal to avoid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

RVP out for a couple of weeks with a thigh injury

RVP out for a couple of weeks with a thigh injury
    :(

Diarra is a fool - and that isn't being unfair. He's 22 years old, has done shag all in his career and has already left two 'big four' clubs because he wasn't prepared to work hard to get in the first team. Gilberto is clearly off in the summer and Flamini is stalling over signing a new contract - but the guy is putting the possibility of playing for France in Euro 2008 over the rest of his career.

It would be lovely if he were to lose his place in the French team to Flamini and Sagna at Euro 2008.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Hang on, I wanted Diarra to stay (cos I think he's class and Flamini's not going to stay fit/in this form forever) but that's completely unfair - he came to Arsenal to escape an identical situation at Chelsea and has found himself unexpectedly frozen out. He's playing for France but not at club level.

Even though I'd be surprised if he was guaranteed first team football by Wenger (as Diarra briefly claimed), the fact that Gilberto was not made captain suggested that there was a good opening for him. With a full pre-season at Arsenal, he might have got the nod while Gilberto was at the Copa America (he probably would have been ahead of Flamini in that race).

So even though I like him a lot as a player and wanted him to stay, I can see why he'd be getting itchy feet when this is the exact situation he came to Arsenal to avoid

The narrow mindedness commment is a bit unfair as he probably just wants to play football but impatience:

"The people at Portsmouth know I will not spend my life at this club...If I shine, if a really big club wants me, I know already that everything will go well."

So he wants to go to a really big club but won't stay at any of them unless he's be guaranteed first team football.

Over the years I can think that only Keane, Viera and Essien getting that guarantee in his position. Either he works his way up in a big club or he stays where he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

wait a a sec, was he just signed from Chelski in the summer?!

wait a a sec, was he just signed from Chelski in the summer?!
    Yep, he was at the club for approximately four and a half months.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement