Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Qs wrote: »
    So do I. It gives you a clearer picture of how players are progressing, developing and Abou Diabys case regressing.

Too true. He's looked so uninterested lately. Its obvious AW doesnt trust him in the centre. Cant work out why he sticks him left midfield though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

He sticks him at left midfield for the same reason he stick Walcott at right midfield. To give him experience in a position where he thinks he can't do much damage. Its all down to him not trusting him in the middle of the park. Which is fair because he just doesn't work hard enough for central midfield.

Heres the thing about Diaby, he is a capable player. He has had good games for us. Earlier in the season when he filled for Rosicky in the league he looked decent enough.

The problem with him has nothing to do with ability, he has good control and can pass and he can shoot. He has all the qualities you need to be a good attacking midfielder. What he lacks at the moment are mental attributes. His problems as a player are that he hogs the ball, he doesn't like playing the simple passes, he shoots when he could pass and he doesn't track back or genereally work hard enough. These flaws are all fixable. They aren't about to be fixed on the left wing though.

If ever I've seen a player who needs a loan spell it Abou Diaby. He needs regular football, he needs to learn from his mistakes, he needs to grow as a player generally.

The amount of Premiership teams who would benefit hugely from taking Diaby on loan must be easily into the teens. Every club in the bottom half would take him and start him week in week out.

I think Wenger should give Steve Bruce, Roy Hodgson or even Kevin Keegan a call and let them know he's available for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Heres the thing about Diaby, he is a capable player... His problems as a player are that he hogs the ball, he doesn't like playing the simple passes, he shoots when he could pass and he doesn't track back or genereally work hard enough. These flaws are all fixable. They aren't about to be fixed on the left wing though.
    I agree with most of what you say but I think his problems can be fixed on the wing.

Diaby reminds me so much of Hleb last season - bags of talent, shown in flashes but often undermined by poor/"un-Arsenal" decisions (I also think they've very similar styles of play)... experience with this group of players and this style of play is what I think he needs and is slowly getting. And while it sometimes sucks that he's learning in a title-chasing side (which Hleb certainly wasn't), I think it's what's best for him and Arsenal - because I think he could contribute a hell of a lot if he comes good for an extended period of time (and bear in mind, he's only 21 so he could be making an impression for a long time).

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you say but I think his problems can be fixed on the wing.

Diaby reminds me so much of Hleb last season - bags of talent, shown in flashes but often undermined by poor/"un-Arsenal" decisions (I also think they've very similar styles of play)... experience with this group of players and this style of play is what I think he needs and is slowly getting. And while it sometimes sucks that he's learning in a title-chasing side (which Hleb certainly wasn't), I think it's what's best for him and Arsenal - because I think he could contribute a hell of a lot if he comes good for an extended period of time (and bear in mind, he's only 21 so he could be making an impression for a long time).

Surely you dont think his best position is on the wing though???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Good 3-0 win against the Geordies. Having said that, we've two tough games ahead of us in terms of the league. Newky will be out for revenge on Tuesday and City away is gonna be tough too. I'm praying Senderos won't be found out in those two games and that the Ivory Coast start losing fast.

Any word on Rosicky?

• Advertisement

its being reported we've had an offer accepted for Woodgate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

cant see it really, hes english, hes not under 22, why would wenger want him? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yer apparently we've agreed a fee with Boro for Woodgate. Can't understand this tbh, where's he gonna fit in when Toure comes back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think if he signs thats an excellent move from Wenger. Woodgate is pretty technically gifted, and has the ability to step up his passing game. He is also an excellent defensive organiser, which means if Toure isn't there, there is cover. Also it means that in games where Arsenal have to be really defensive, Gallas can be pushed to left back, and Woodgate goes in the centre, making a very solid (and huge) defensive back four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

seriously, he isnt your typical wenger type player, i cant see this one really happening... boro havent named arsenal, its just SSN claiming it to be them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Setanta Sports News also say a fee has been accepted. Looks real to me.

PHB wrote: »
    I think if he signs thats an excellent move from Wenger. Woodgate is pretty technically gifted, and has the ability to step up his passing game. He is also an excellent defensive organiser, which means if Toure isn't there, there is cover. Also it means that in games where Arsenal have to be really defensive, Gallas can be pushed to left back, and Woodgate goes in the centre, making a very solid (and huge) defensive back four.

Well I don't think Wenger would drop Clichy to make us more solid. Just seen the opta stats today and he's 3rd in tackles(NRC and MAscherano ahead of him) and 4th in passing(Behind Fab, Flamini and Hamann) in the league. He's a vital part of our game both in attack and defence. I do however think Gallas at left back should Clichy suffer an injury is a major part of Wengers thinking here and possibly the same with Toure on the right. Woodgates 6ft 2 as well which would be great for us as our defence is quite small, he'd also help us sort out our dodgy set piece defending.

The question is would Woodgate be prepared to sit on our bench when he'd be first team every week for the Spuds.

kryogen wrote: »
    seriously, he isnt your typical wenger type player, i cant see this one really happening... boro havent named arsenal, its just SSN claiming it to be them

Why is he not a Wenger signing? Gallas and Campbell were both top level players with Prem experience. Woodgate is in line with that. He's also good on the ball which is a requirement for us. And Wengers been scouting him for years. I'd well believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If yee get Woodgate, that would IMO give yee the best bit of depth in CB in the league. United have 2 class CB's with pique and brown backup, chelsea currently probably best in terms of depth with 2 class CB's with Alex and Ben Haim backup. Pool have only 1 class CB with 2 potentials. Any 2 from Toure, Gallas and Woodgate would be amazing.

Whats the reported fee for Woodgate?

On another note, Boro are really putting all their chickens in this Afonso Alves basket! Apparantly Woodgate and Downing available for sale to finance him. If they lost both of those, and Alves isn't quite the hit he is in Holland, they could be in real trouble...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Great signing for Arsenal if Woodgate does come to Arsenal...Toure is currently not playing in African Nations Cup, he's sidelined with a groin injury...Senderos and Djorou(spelling!!) are not up to standard.
    Woodgate would be a superb asset...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Maybe everyone will stay injury free and he'll just be rotated in every so often but that's the best case.

If Woodgate comes in and settles straight away we could lose one back player and stilll be prefectly strong, lose two and we'd be capable.

Right now we're worried about Toure being gone. If Clichy went out, then we'd have Senderos and Traore starting in what we hope to be a charge for the title.

Turns out we've had no contact with Newcastle and theres only 2 clubs who've agreed a deal with them.

Thanks SSN, accurate as always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

United away, sh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The game will be played on the 16th or 17th of Feburary, will Toure be back by then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

PHB wrote: »
    The game will be played on the 16th or 17th of Feburary, will Toure be back by then?
    And is Woodgate cup tied! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What is annoying me about this is the Milan game is the following week.

4 days later in fact. Ahh well at least it'll be an exciting week for us.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Surely you dont think his best position is on the wing though???
    not at all - but i can see the logic of letting him learn in a less exposed position where we're not relying on him as much (much like Walcott)

As for Utd in the Cup, feck it, bring it on - in '99, I firmly believe that if we'd won that semi, we would have won the double again. We've looked really good against the big sides this year so I think this a great opportunity to inflict a bit of damage... it does mean a lot of big games coming together though and we already have Chelsea, 'Pool and Utd in a 4-game patch around the start of April...

African Cup of Nations final is 10 Feb (weekend before) so Kolo should be there - just hope he's not knackered by that stage.

So Kolos groin strain is an 8-10 thing according to Wenger, hopefully Cote d'Ivorie don't rush him back.

Rosicky is a matter of "days not weeks" and van Persie will return to training tomorrow but wont play for another couple of weeks yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Would be nice to sign Woodgate. I've always felt he would suit our style of play.

United away... :mad:

I think its time to drop the Woodgate thing. I'm not quaking in my boots at the thought of playing Utd. We should have Kolo and RvP back for the game and its a good 2 years (I think) since they've beaten us. Before you say it, I know it means little.

Spurs got woodgate. Aw shucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Jeez Adebayor has really taking over the striking mantle from Henry, for such a big man he has great skill oh he can head the ball also. Thankfully Togo didn't qualify, with fab gone abit quiet tis nice Adebayor is taking over the reins as he takes a breather. :)

Yeah, in fairness he's got a good scoring record but he's really beginning to dominate games now.

Could have had a couple in that first half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

mike65 wrote: »

Better our youth team then our senior team eh??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bah! :o

Mike.

Good lord Flamini's goal v Newcastle was phenomenal!:eek:

Don't forget our match v Man City is Live on Sky Sports 1, KO at 12.45

Randall and Gibbs are both off on loan now. good to hear, I'm fans of both of them.
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=487060&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Arsenal+midfield+duo+agree+loan+switches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

T'was nice alrite, i thought Bendtner did very well for the 3rd goal.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Good lord Flamini's goal v Newcastle was phenomenal!:eek:
    Absolute belter - and normally he seems to only pop up with goals against the bigger teams :)
    Randall and Gibbs are both off on loan now. good to hear, I'm fans of both of them.
    Yeah, it'll be good experience - I haven't seen as much of Randall as I would have liked but I've been very impressed anytime I've seen Gibbs - he's got a lot of pace, a lot of skill and it looks like he's got a really good attitude too
    T'was nice alrite, i thought Bendtner did very well for the 3rd goal.
    Yeah, he's got that "good touch for a big lad" thing down pretty well, awesome control

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Good news for you lot - Gattuso is out for 50 days...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Archimedes wrote: »
    Good news for you lot - Gattuso is out for 50 days...
    haha, thought you were talking about Flamini there, took me a few seconds to realise you meant the real Gattuso...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Anyone any ideas when Van Persie should start a game next?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Great result for us today in what could have been a tough match. A great day topped off by Man Utd and Chelsea dropping points. A long way to go yet but advantage to The Arsenal.

Good day all round for the Gunners. Seemed strange to be cheering on Tottenham, they were very unlucky not to get a win today. Oh well, had I been offered thise results this morning I'd have grabbed with all three of my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Arsenal were very entertaining to watch today... As per usual I suppose! Jesus Adebayor is on fire this season, he is like Drogba last season, only he has a better first touch... :p

Ireland messing up the chance before the Ade goal was key,i'd a felling before the game that the city was game was going to be like the pools game against them, city going for a draw. Who would've predicted we'd get on so well without RVP. Can't wait to see us when he's back. Big Phil was impressive again, good to see him back to pre drogba rape days.

I see we signed 15 year old striker Luke Freeman from Gillingham in the transfer window. For the record he is the youngest player ever to play in the FA Cup.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=487183&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Freeman+makes+impression+on+Wenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Looks like Gilberto wants out according to Sky Sports....guess you can't really blame him....Portsmouth maybe ? :D

Andip wrote: »
    Looks like Gilberto wants out according to Sky Sports....guess you can't really blame him....Portsmouth maybe ? :D

Yeah, to start ahead of Diarra!! :D:D:D

Cue Diarra's summer move to Derby - 'I'll leave as soon as a medium-sized club come in for me'

Gilberto leaving in the summer would be no loss. He's been a great player for us over the years and I've all the respect in the world for him but he just ins't up to it for us anymore. Let him go and get better back up for Flamini, someone a bit more dynamic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Gilberto leaving in the summer would be no loss. He's been a great player for us over the years and I've all the respect in the world for him but he just ins't up to it for us anymore. Let him go and get better back up for Flamini, someone a bit more dynamic.

i don't know about that... i wouldn't be surprised if Gilberto get's one last run in the team before he leaves, his experiences in particular could be vital for any run in. If anything players with similar abilities to him tend not to to fade as fast as normal. I still think that Arsene letting Diarra go ahead of Gilberto was for a clear purpose.

Flamini's and Berts roles are reversed on last year, berts been the man for so long, but he has to get 1st team footy. Will be sad to see him go.

Arseblog reporting flamini was taken off in tuesdays B-international. Nothing on how serious.

A kick in the back of the thigh, but not serious at all according to himself. Expects to be fine for Rovers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement