Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The problem Arsenal have with Henry is that he is quite clearly a second striker, not a target man, and Adebayor is the only real first striker they have, while Reyes plays in the same position as Henry, and Van Persie in a similar one.

Arsenal still need some steel in midfield to get them through the tough games that Vieira used to do, which will be Wenger's major signing/failure to sign this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

To my knowledge no more money has been paid for Reyes since the initial outlay so Wiltord is still the most expensive at £13m.

Splurging millions on a top level striker would be a waste of money as far as I'm concerned, particularly on the type of striker who would perform best instead of Henry and not with him. Henry has had out-and-out strike partners like Trezeguet before and he's very rarely clicked with them. Torres, who hype-aside is not 'world class', falls into that bracket. Very few top teams play two of these types of players - they play one striker to lead the line, and one to link the midfield - Henry and Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooy and Rooney etc. Arsenal need a regular partner for Henry who links midfield and attack. Trouble is, there aren't many top quality players of this ilk available, though there is one I can think of - a certain Jose Antonio Reyes who keeps getting shunted out to left midfield where he plays about as effectively as Bergkamp did when he was shunted out to right wing. Hopefully now that Rosicky has been signed, he'll make left-wing his own and Reyes won't need to be drafted in constantly to plug the problem position.
    I remember when that side used to cause teams all sorts of trouble; cole, pires and henry really worked well together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

PHB wrote:
    The problem Arsenal have with Henry is that he is quite clearly a second striker, not a target man, and Adebayor is the only real first striker they have, while Reyes plays in the same position as Henry, and Van Persie in a similar one.

Arsenal still need some steel in midfield to get them through the tough games that Vieira used to do, which will be Wenger's major signing/failure to sign this year.

Well his failure to sign Baptista last season seems to be a godsend, all thought rumours have it hes being offered back. Is Gilberto not regarded as his steel in midfield? Do you think he might say buy Ya ya toure and drop gilberto?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote:

lol, I thought you said Henry was a winger? He's anything but a second striker. Just because a player drops deep sometimes doesn't mean he's a no10. How many goals does Henry score off the shoulder of the last man?

He's no target-man, but he is a line-leader. He's just highly mobile and very unorthodox. Himself and Bergkamp operated brilliantly together for years, are you saying that Arsenal won all those trophies with no strikers? Van Persie is of a similar ilk, but tends to stay high up the pitch more, while I agree on Adebayor (who is a useful option as a partner to Henry because of his size and work-rate, but not a genuine starter for me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Pepe LeFrits: I know you say Wenger has signed Rosicky in place of Pires. But didn't Pires play CM, as opposed to LW, towards the end of last season? Is this what Wenger means?

It would be an awful waste i reckon to play Rosicky out on the left wing (i can't remember seeing him play there before) when he is clearly Arsenal's most talented CM.

SofaKing wrote:
    Pepe LeFrits: I know you say Wenger has signed Rosicky in place of Pires. But didn't Pires play CM, as opposed to LW, towards the end of last season? Is this what Wenger means?

It would be an awful waste i reckon to play Rosicky out on the left wing (i can't remember seeing him play there before) when he is clearly Arsenal's most talented CM.
    I highly doubt it, as that was only for the 4-5-1 in the CL. Pires really needed to be replaced a year ago, as left-midfield has been a problem for quite a while now. Rosicky has played left-wing a few times before. He's got all the attributes for it and once he's settled in I think he'll have no problems playing there for Arsenal, he's certainly displayed no qualms about doing it.

Rosicky more talented than Fabregas? Naaah.

Strong possibility 1 or the other or both may arrive at the Emirates in the next few days. I think a fit Abou Diaby is as good as either.

I think the Cesc rumours are unfounded to date. His agent is bound to instigate a move as hes in win-win. Either a pay-rise for his client (which is a rise for him no doubt) or a lump sum from a transfer fee.

Reyes is a frustrating player who i wouldnt be sorry to see the back of. Arsenal need big strong lads for the big games and esp vs teams like bolton & blackburn.

Is Gilberto not regarded as his steel in midfield?

While I think Gilberto is a great player, he is a brazilian DMC, not exactly known for their steel, more for their ability to read the game. Arsenal because of how they play, required a box-to-box midfielder who will get stuck in. Baptista is not that either btw.

Leading the line and being a second stirker aren't mutually exclusive.
    Rooney for example is a second striker but could easily lead the line. You get the best out of Rooney when he plays with Van Nist, just like you'd get the best out of Henry if he played with target man. It's why Henry tends to be ****e for France, because he is being played effectivly out of position. Berkjamp was special, and with him in your team you could win pretty much any game, and he had an ability to play at the front of an attack, and hold up play if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lads just to step away from the transfer talk, just seen on another site there, that the Bergkamp testimonial is a sell out. Was hoping to get a ticket, just wondering if anybody was successful .I see that for the Barnet game there are still tickets available. Unfortunatley its on the 15th, 4 days away :eek:.

Would anybody reckon there'd be a chance of getting a ticket before the Testimonial. (I am not condoning ticket touts).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

My 10 cents......
    Buffon would be a great signing. Lehman to play first while Buffon settles in. Italians are not known for settling in fast at clubs.
    The great italian sale, well stam is too old, Thuram would bring experience for a season or two. I would not want to see Torres bought as he would not play well with henry.
    Cannavaro would be good but cant see him with Arsenal. Cole i can still see going but not sure to who.
    And to be honest Davies would not fit into our team well. He is not a player that i would look at seriously. Reyes i can see playing extremily well this season.

ARSENAL FOR THE TREBBLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Buffon would be a great signing but would not need to settle in and nor would he tolerate being second choice. He can have his pick of any club in the world, he wouldn't come to Arsenal if he thought he'd have to fight Lehmann for his place. As much as I love Jens and as great as he's been in the past 18 months, he's 36 and won't be playing at this level for all that much longer. He would have to be sacrificed, and I doubt with his ego he'd accept being second choice either. The chance to sign a goalkeeper like Gigi Buffon comes around once in a lifetime, they have to try to sign him. If not Jens can still play for the immediate future but his replacement will have to be signed sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

some points to be made,

there's no way Rosicky is ever going to be better then Cesc in CM, 6 years older and nowhere near the vision.

Also, I really feel about this second striker thing.

Ask yourself simply, what if Hnery doesn't play or is injured?

Reyes and Adebayor, Van Persie and Reyes, Van Persie and Adebayor???
    None of these combinations are quite good enough.

Henry is a special player and I think that Wenger saw how good he can be and built the attack around him(like Peckerman and Requelmie). This isn't enough however as Arsenal will still have to play withouh and after him(at some point).

We need more goal.....we need a better second striker!!!

excuse typos, slightly drunk,

ARSENAL RULE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Saviola setting sights on Arsenal - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/5171516.stm

Arsenal will sign Argentine Javier Saviola for £4m from Barcelona this week. (The Sun)

Arsenal defender Ashley Cole is ready to drop his "tapping up" legal case to clear the way for a £16m move to Chelsea. (Daily Mirror)

Meanwhile Arsenal are ready to step in with a £8m offer for Davies, though West Brom want at least £10m for the centre-back. (Daily Mirror)

Real Madrid reiterate their interest in signing Chelsea's Dutch winger Arjen Robben and Arsenal's Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas. (Various)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

sgarvan wrote:
    Saviola setting sights on Arsenal - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/5171516.stm

Arsenal will sign Argentine Javier Saviola for £4m from Barcelona this week. (The Sun)

Arsenal defender Ashley Cole is ready to drop his "tapping up" legal case to clear the way for a £16m move to Chelsea. (Daily Mirror)

Meanwhile Arsenal are ready to step in with a £8m offer for Davies, though West Brom want at least £10m for the centre-back. (Daily Mirror)

Real Madrid reiterate their interest in signing Chelsea's Dutch winger Arjen Robben and Arsenal's Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas. (Various)

yeah its all over the palce today about Saviola?. Maybe there is truth in it..if they get him for small money hes a great option..

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Leading the line and being a second stirker aren't mutually exclusive.
    Rooney for example is a second striker but could easily lead the line. You get the best out of Rooney when he plays with Van Nist, just like you'd get the best out of Henry if he played with target man. It's why Henry tends to be ****e for France, because he is being played effectivly out of position. Berkjamp was special, and with him in your team you could win pretty much any game, and he had an ability to play at the front of an attack, and hold up play if required.
    Ashley Cole could play left wing, that doesn't mean he's a left winger.

Henry has traditionally played alongside a target-man for France and has struggled. He has always played high up the pitch for Arsenal, either in the 4-5-1 or with a 4-4-2 with Bergkamp deep. He is simply not a second striker.
    gosplan wrote:
    Reyes and Adebayor, Van Persie and Reyes, Van Persie and Adebayor???
    None of these combinations are quite good enough.

We need more goal.....we need a better second striker!!!
    No combinations involving Adebayor are good enough as far as I'm concerned but that's another matter. Reyes and Van Persie have done well together in the past but have rarely had a consistent chance to shine - RVP has been constantly in and out of the team while Reyes is regularly played out of position. I'd rather money was spent on other areas than in attack where we've got two very gifted young players who haven't been given a proper crack of the whip.

Arsenal have rarely ever had two free scoring-strikers. The problem last year was that goals from midfield dried up from Ljungberg and Pires. Freddie in particular struggled because the service from Bergkamp wasn't there anymore. I think Freddie will score more next season if he's played on the left (as he did towards the end of last season) as backup for Rosicky, with someone playing deep off Henry, bringing the midfield into the game. It seems fairly clear that Hleb is above Freddie in the pecking order now on the right side of midfield. It's up to the midfield to take the goal-scoring burden off Henry.

Adebayor is rubbish, the less said about him the better. Van Persie is quality and needs a run in the team. Reyes isn't amazing, if Real come in with a good offer for him (anything around what Arsenal are reported to have paid for him) then I'd be happy to see him go, his transfer fee wasn't money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

agreed with the cheese... Reyes is terrible. Van persie can do some amazing stuff though

evad_lhorg wrote:
    agreed with the cheese... Reyes is terrible. Van persie can do some amazing stuff though
    Don't you lads think that Reyes, Van persie and Adebayor are far from finished products?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

What gangsta said, everytime i doubt reyes i think to his first 2 months in the 04/05 season, he was by far the leagues best player for those 2 months. If he only he could regain that.

On a side note rumour has it that Saviola had a medical with the Arsenal today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Arsenal are prepared to loan Theo Walcott to West Brom to secure the £8m transfer of defender Curtis Davies. (Daily Mirror)

loadsa quotes:

MORE MONEY FOR CESC
    Cesc Fabregas is ready to sign an improved five-year contract with Arsenal, according to The Guardian.

Fabregas is already contractually tied to the Gunners until 2011, but the new deal will reflect his new seniority at the club. In other words, Cesc is set to reap a huge pay-rise.

The Guardian claims Arsene Wenger's strongly-worded rebuttal against Spanish interest in the young midfielder, issued yesterday on Arsenal's website, was 'made at the request of the player himself, who wants to draw a line under the speculation and politely inform Madrid that he is content at Arsenal. Fábregas believes he owes the club that took him from Barcelona as a 15-year-old and helped him to settle in London.'

The 19-year-old's reward is more dosh and the number four shirt once worn by Patrick Vieira.

YTW TO WBA? HMMM.
    Theo Walcott's Premiership debut will be delayed by at least another five months if The Daily Mirror is to be believed.

The paper claims that England’s unused sub will 'be used as a makeweight in Arsenal's bid to sign West Brom defender Curtis Davies.'

F365 isn't convinced; isn't the reason why Wenger refused to loan Walcott back to Southampton last February because he believe a further spell in the Championship would hinder his development?

The Gunners continue to be linked with Gianluigi Buffon and Franck Ribéry, while The Guardian says that 'Kolo Touré's brother Yaya, a defensive midfielder at Olympiakos, is interesting Wenger, who also considers Javier Saviola a potential bargain at £5m. However, Arsenal have yet to make a firm proposition to Barcelona over the transfer of the Argentinian, who was on loan at Sevilla last season.'

There's so much noise about Saviola that I'd consider it almost done. Especially as I haven't heard another club mentioned at all.

They've a good point about Walcott. I'm assuming that the reason he didn't play in the WC for England was because he looked very poor in training. Do you think the same has happened at Arsenal?
    I imagine that this is just creative reporting though. I can't see Wenger buying a player to sell him a few months later unused.....for a championship defender. However good Davis is he didn't keep them up last year.

Question for gunners fans...who would you rather see Buffon or Ribery???

Buffon obviously, Arsenal are well stocked for the wide midfield positions already.

All the Saviola stories seem to have come from his agent so I wouldn't say that one is gauranteed yet. I hope not, even if he's cheap it seems like a pointless signing. If he's brought in to play deep behind Henry, what's he got over Reyes? He's small and he's no more prolific. If he comes it means Reyes will be stuck on the wing permanently, or possibly even worse, Van Persie will be sold.

The Guardian appear to be regurgitating stories from the past couple of weeks. Yaya Toure isn't a defensive midfielder.

As regards Saviola, I don't know if he's more skillfull then Reyes or not but he's definatly been more prolific.
    His record for Barca was better then a goal every two games and it's been around there ever since moving to Monaco and Sevilla.
    Henry is a striker who likes to come deep, Saviola is a fast goalscorer so perhaps Wenger sees them as working well together.
    He's only 24 and has been South Amercia footballer of the year.
    He wasn't wanted in Barca(like Requelmie) so his stock plummeted and he'll come cheap.
    I can't see any reason not to spend 4-5 million on him.

Have any of ye read this article

http://wc2006.telegraph.co.uk/Document.aspx?id=5E2BCA54-20FE-40FA-B384-767CF3C547D9

Talks about the new stadium and the finances.

Saviola hasn't been in good goal-scoring form for at least 2 seasons now, he got 9 league goals last term for Sevilla and about 11 the season before that. I don't see him being something which isn't already there in Van Persie or Reyes tbh.

Some numbering changes:

Fabregas 4
    Toure 5
    Senderos 6
    Rosicky 7
    Djourou 20

No pressure Phil...

Some numbering changes:

Fabregas 4
    Toure 5
    Senderos 6
    Rosicky 7
    Djourou 20

No pressure Phil...

Nice to see they've finally decided to give some people the lower numbers. Don't know why they've given Fabrgas no. 4 though, isn't that supposed to be for a defensive centre mid?

No pressure Phil...

:confused::confused::confused:

Don't know why they've given Fabrgas no. 4 though, isn't that supposed to be for a defensive centre mid?

Its Paddys old number. Dawning of a new age and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Gangsta wrote:
    :confused::confused::confused:

Number 6 is a starting CD's number, meaning wenger intends to start sendros, pepe was just saying that sendros now has a lot of pressure on him to proform.

Seaneh wrote:
    Number 6 is a starting CD's number, meaning wenger intends to start sendros, pepe was just saying that sendros now has a lot of pressure on him to proform.
    That is true, but I was mainly referring to the fact that number 6 had been temporarily retired, as it was Tony Adams' number. I would have thought all Arsenal fans would have picked up on it tbh!

"Elementary my dear Watson". Most Arsenal supporters know that, thats why it wasn't posted I'd say.;)

Pepe did ye get a ticket for the game Saturday week?

Seaneh wrote:
    Yes that I know, but he has been starting for a year and a half now. I suppose this makes it official especially with Campbell gone. I fully expect him to cope and take it into his stride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Just for people who are interested, I took a look at Saviola's scoring stats and this is what they look like (since he came to Europe):
    Season         Apps    Goals    Club            Country
    ==========================================================
    2005 - 2006	29	9	Sevilla CF      Spain
    2004 - 2005	29	7	Monaco	        France
    2003 - 2004	33	14	FC Barcelona	Spain
    2002 - 2003	36	13	FC Barcelona	Spain
    2001 - 2002	36	16	FC Barcelona    Spain

In fairness to him though, Sevilla didn't score all that many goals last season (53 + 6 own goals), and he was their top scorer.

wierd, in wikipedia it gives

Monaca:11 goals from 34 games,

Sevilla:14 from 30

Barca: 58 from 105

do you think Saviola writes his own wikipedia page?:D

I've heard this before many times, but several sources seem convinced that someone is having a medical today... Saviola or Semioli being the likely candidates.

Arsenal's new era at The Emirates Stadium also ushers in the Gunners career of 19-year-old Watford defender O'Cearuill.

O'Cearuill, don't give a crap if he was born in London, that sounds like an irish surname!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Gaeilge for O'Carrol me thinks

Googled him and saw that back when he was with L.Orient they had hopes of him getting called up to Irish junior squad.
    anyone know how to find out if this happened, no squads on FAI page at the moment.
    I'd be very happy if he was one of Wengers great finds as opposed to a space filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Furious Cole criticises Arsenal
    Arsenal full-back Ashley Cole has heavily criticised the Gunners in the promotional material for his new book.

<snip>

"Arsenal hung me out to dry, using me as a scapegoat to get back at Chelsea," he is quoted in The Sun as saying.

"The board 'rewarded' me with an insult and threw years of loyalty back in my face.

"I'll reveal the shattering truth about who fed me to the sharks. It changed my view forever on the club I regarded as family."

Surely on his way out if this is true?

I hope not, but it seems he dislikes Chelsea and Arsenal for what they did equally. If he does go, let's hope it's to Real Madrid, as it might be with Carlos moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Surely on his way out if this is true?

surely no doubt about it after that lol

PHB wrote:
    I hope not, but it seems he dislikes Chelsea and Arsenal for what they did equally. If he does go, let's hope it's to Real Madrid, as it might be with Carlos moving.

Yeah for what Arsenal did... that guy has some cheek to throw the word loyalty around.

• Advertisement

Hopefully he will be offloaded as soon as possible, I don't want to see him in Arsenal's colours ever again. Final straw etc.

Van den Berg and O'Cearuill were on trials for a while last season. O'Cearuill I believe was about to be released by his club when Wenger saw him in action and was impressed. Failing upwards I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

I would like Cole to leave, you can just see that he doesnt want to play with us anymore. Van den berg will be a good player but am unsure of o`cearuill. Anymore news on Buffon coming. Wenger had it in the paper that he had not interest in buying any of the juve team as there wages are to big for us. I will be upset if we dont get in another keeper/ good keeper before the transfer deadline. Lens is a hero but we need someone else.
    Any truth to Veira going to Man utd. Didnt think he would sign for them. And cant see him returning to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

With RVN not there, you'd never know. If noone else comes in i can see it happen, i hope not, i don't want to boo him. Inter are interested apparently. Saviolas a no go.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says Philippe Senderos will be out for up to three months after dislocating his shoulder at the World Cup.

With Sol Campbell having left and other defenders injured, Wenger said they may be forced into the transfer market.

"We have lost Senderos for the next three months and Johan Djourou and Gael Clichy have had injuries," he said.

"If we find a player who can play centre back, left back then we are still open."

He picked out highly-rated West Brom defender Curtis Davis for particular praise.

"Curtis Davies I like. I have not made an inquiry or a bid but I like the player."

Arsenal's World Cup players are due to return to training later this week, and Wenger admitted another one of them - Freddie Ljungberg - was also injured.

"Freddie has had an inflammation in his foot," said Wenger.

"We have to check it with a scan. We will see."

With Senderos being injured, Campbell gone, Arsenal look very very thin in defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

cannavaro, nesta and thuram can battle it out amongest themselfs to partner toure in defence.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement