Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

yabadabado wrote: »
    the way he was talking sounded like eduardo is gonna be gone for really long time

a break like that... he'll be looking at a year minimum I'd hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

it's a shame really, cos he looked like he was really getting to grips with the English game after an indifferent start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know really if Taylor's foul was intentional. It was reckless, and it was very very unfortunate, but I think Wenger might be speaking with anger rather than his head, which is totally understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

From a Utd fan, I have to say, Im gutted for the kid. Best Arsenal prospect in years, and loved watching him play.

Really hope he does a Henrik Larssen, and recovers fully from this .

Sorry for you guys :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It is his left leg that is broken, which just makes it worse.

Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery, although the reality could be that his Arsenal career is stillborn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Just one of the those days for Arseal.

First off let me say that i hope Eduardo makes a full recovery. It was a horrible injury one nobody wants to see for any players.
    Best case would be 8-9 months that would mead october-november.
    Worst case is never play the game again.

As far as i know they are doing an emergency operation on the leg. Our thoughts are with you.:(

On the match well it was obvious that the injury detracted from the first half performance. The 2nd half was much much better but they should have wrapped it up well before time. Bendter didnt look interested at all.

Van the man we need you!!!:D

Clichy made a rare balls up but he did get the ball. Ref was always going to go for the spot though.

Gallas, well i dont know what to make of him.

But the next week is crucial for the club. Home against Vila and away against milan. 2 results there could pick up the season again. Arsenal are still 3 points if united win (i have a funny feeling newcastle may get something!)
    Its in Arsenal's own hands still!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Of course, there's still a long way to go, points will be dropped here and there until the end of the season...Arsenal's striking options are slightly depleted though, Eduardo's a very good finisher...it'll be a test for their squad anyhow, they already have a heap of injuries at the minute

Incidentally it is Eduardo's 25th birthday on Monday. Doh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Result is not the main thing today, lets hope we get to see Eduardo in an Arsenal shirt again.

On the plus side Theo finally got off the mark,which will be great for his confidence, remember he is only 18, he will come good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Result is not the main thing today, lets hope we get to see Eduardo in an Arsenal shirt again.

On the plus side Theo finally got off the mark,which will be great for his confidence, remember he is only 18, he will come good.

Walcott is a pure confidence player. He gets a goal and he is buzzing. But he can be very quiet, too quiet most of the time.
    He should be demanding the ball a bit more.

jank wrote: »
    Walcott is a pure confidence player. He gets a goal and he is buzzing. But he can be very quiet, too quiet most of the time.
    He should be demanding the ball a bit more.

Very true confidence is very important for him. I really do believe he will be a great player for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ever since Anelka, the no.9 shirt has been cursed at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

cson wrote: »
    Ever since Anelka, the no.9 shirt has been cursed at Arsenal.

You think Anelka is in to Voodoo as well as carrying knives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

From a Utd fan, I have to say, Im gutted for the kid. Best Arsenal prospect in years, and loved watching him play.

Really hope he does a Henrik Larssen, and recovers fully from this .

Sorry for you guys :(

Well said buddy...

He's a potentially great player and has a great attitude. A determined and modest proffessional, who was making a name for himself..

I hope so much that we get to see him again, but after seeing those images, not being a medical man or anything but it looks like the guys career might be over.

A Croatian guy on another soccer forum said medical experts interviewed on the Croatian news channel said that his whole left leg is ruined. the part where its broken, down all the way to his ankles and feet, shattered or not, is ruined. so to say, his ankle is completely broken. complications, tendons and everything should then come into places.

The tone was he will recover in around 6 months time to be able to walk again but not to play football due to the complication and severe nature of the injury.

I really hope we can win it for him.

http://thegoonerforum.wordpress.com/2008/02/23/eduardo-da-silva-injury-pictures-two-footed-tackles/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

again from a united fan i was saddened by todays events, but stay positive guys, players can comeback from bad injuries, alan smiths was horrible but hes playing again, cisse, healy, if he has the right mental attitude i hope its possible, i think he has great potential and would hate to see someones career ended at such an early stage like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Sqaull20 wrote: »

A Croatian guy on another soccer forum said medical experts interviewed on the Croatian news channel said that his whole left leg is ruined. the part where its broken, down all the way to his ankles and feet, shattered or not, is ruined. so to say, his ankle is completely broken. complications, tendons and everything should then come into places.

The tone was he will recover in around 6 months time to be able to walk again but not to play football due to the complication and severe nature of the injury.

Holy crap, thats an utter shame to hear if its true... Im actually so sorry to hear that and I also believed he was the next big thing in the premiership... I really do hope he can persevere and set foot on a football field again for you guys... I hope arsenal now win the premiership for him lads! Modern medicine has come a long way and Ill be hoping skilled surgeons can get him back to his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Taylor shouldn't be allowed away with that. Apology or not. Borderline violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

DSB wrote: »
    Taylor shouldn't be allowed away with that. Apology or not. Borderline violence.

He didn't get away with it. He was sent-off and gets a 3 match ban.

It was unfortunate, but do you really think he went in to break his leg?

• Advertisement

No. But it was far worse than your average red card offence and should be definitely treated as such. I'm not going to accuse him of aiming to break his leg but the tackle in question was reckless to the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nunu wrote: »
    No it wasn't! You're letting the resulting injury cloud your judgement.

spot on

No. But it was far worse than your average red card offence and should be definitely treated as such. I'm not going to accuse him of aiming to break his leg but the tackle in question was reckless to the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

There's a couple of pictures here, I knew it was bad but, I didn't think it was that bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

another united fan and would never wish that on anyone. It's not often I find an arsenal player I like but he was defiantely my least hated player for ye - great touch/control and was really starting to work well within the team. The team will sorely miss him for the rest of the season. Hope he makes a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's a straight red card offence. Reminds me of a couple of the challenges that Essien has been sent off for.

Can't really ban him because he broke Eduardo's leg. It was just one of those potential leg breaker challenges that we see every two weeks or so.

really hope he gets a league medal by the way.

will be tough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

just like road deaths cloud people's judgements on drink driving?

challenge was reckless. it potentially ended a career. there is no possible way you can justify allowing similar tackles in future surely?

I would be wary about reading too much into quoted experts until we hear something from Arsenal themselves. He underwent surgery today, its unlikely anyone knows the situation for a few days until they can assess the situation. Medical science has come a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

PHB wrote: »
    I would be wary about reading too much into quoted experts until we hear something from Arsenal themselves. He underwent surgery today, its unlikely anyone knows the situation for a few days until they can assess the situation. Medical science has come a long way.

Lets hope it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Posted in the Worst injuries thread already....

Sky sports news are reporting the injury as a double compound fracture. Hope its not that severe and the boy plays again. Never nice to see that happen to player let alone a young player.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Get well soon Eddie.
    I'm delighted to see the amount of compassion coming from 'rival' fans in this thread. Great to see that humanity comes before sport. Thanks guys, it means a lot to us. :)

Now on a bitter note, replays show Clichy's challenge got the ball first and it shouldn't have been a penalty. Bad day at the office all round.
    And Gallas better kop onto himself. Might need to draft in Tony Adams to smack some sense into him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I'll be very surprised if he returns. Those tackles go on most games, they rarely make full contact unfortunately this was one of the few times it does. what annoys me is they were probably told to go in hard at the start, i've seen it in enough games, and i'm sure the same happens against united and the blue fellas. How bolton or blackburn never broke one of our players legs i'll never know.

Gallas dunno knida pissed and kinda think it was cool. It shows he has the desire and he's done great as captain, bringing the team together(heard stuff about the difference between him and titi as captain). It showed his determination but was also was stupid as a captain. I'm glad he took off because i reckon he would've killed Clichy.

RVP hurry back, bendtner and ade good players but i don't think they compliment each other.

I think and like to hope that we'll see Eduardo again.

It's a massively serious injury of course but medical staff can do really incredible things nowadays. I particularly remember Totti coming back from a break in 2 months or so for the world cup last time round. Obviously it was nothing like what happened to Eduardo but most things can be fixed now and it's very rare that you hear of a player never being able to play again.

That said, I don't know **** and I'm just being optimistic.

Apart from that. Bummer for Clichy but it looked like a penalty so I can't blame the ref.

Sky Sports really sickened me as regards the way they went on about Gallas. The whole time they were saying that, I could just picture John Terry doing exactly the same thing and them going on:

'ah well he's a born winner, isn't he / well you can understand that, the man bleeds blue / he's got made in England stamped all over him'

or some other trash like that.

Vela scored and got an assist tonight for Osasuna against Atletico Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

gosplan wrote: »
    Sky Sports really sickened me as regards the way they went on about Gallas. The whole time they were saying that, I could just picture John Terry doing exactly the same thing and them going on:

'ah well he's a born winner, isn't he / well you can understand that, the man bleeds blue / he's got made in England stamped all over him'

I really don't like Terry, but he'd have been on the edge of the box, ready to clear the rebound if the keeper saved. Gallas is only really worried about himself, great player, but has that me-me-me streak in him.

Eduardo:
    "I don't remember the incident very well and it is not something that I want to see again on television or in the newspapers," he said.

"All I remember is that when I fell, I looked down at my foot and it had turned the other way. The rest is just a blank."

No blame

"It was an unfortunate situation but these things can happen in football," he said - but then insisted he was already looking to making his comeback.

"I am unsure at the moment of the extent of the injury and how long I will be out of action for, but I know that I won't be able to play for Arsenal for the rest of the season or be ready in time for the Euros this summer.

"But I'm not worried about that. My concentration and determination is on making as quick a recovery as possible. I am determined to overcome this injury."

Great to see, people too quick to write him off, back in time for next season with any luck

gosplan wrote: »

Apparently Andy Townsend:mad: said he should have the captaincy taken off him

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Apparently Andy Townsend:mad: said he should have the captaincy taken off him

He has a point. Captains should be leading by example.

Being that pissed off with throwing away 2 points is an example

He has a point. Captains should be leading by example.

After one incident, he doesn't have a point imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Whatever about Us, its a crying shame he'll miss Euro2008, he was fantastic for croatia in the qualifiers.

Stripped of captaincy i hope not, from what i've heard he's the best captain we've had since adams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wonder, with our lack of options up front at the moment, will Barazite have a chance at breaking into the first team?

• Advertisement

I was personally wondering whether Vela can be recalled.

Gallas is right at the top of the tree when it comes to centre-halfs but I've always questioned Gallas being a captain. Definitely not the kind of guy I would look up to as my captain. He seems to be a self centered, selfish player.

Remember when he threatened to score own goals for Chelsea if they wouldn't let him leave:confused: ..I mean come on that's a seriously flawed character right there....What happened against Birmingham reinforced my stance on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Gallas captaincy is a major factor in our being top of the league right now. I think he was more upset about the Eduardo injury and the sense that he and the rest of the team had let him down. I'm sure alot of it was just a release of anger, sadness, dispair and worry that he'd bottled up for the 90 minutes previous. I can completely understand why he was so upset I felt pretty much the exact same way myself, and for it all to come from a terrible call by the referee just made it all the harder to swallow.

I really, really hope sometime next year Eduardo will run out before the crowd in the Emirates again and recieves a standing ovation because he's been great for us this season and a huge part of Adebayors success as well as being a consumate professional who plays the game the way its meant to be played.

Remember when he threatened to score own goals for Chelsea if they wouldn't let him leave:confused:

I remember when Chelsea said something to this effect but it was strongly denied and not really mentioned again.

Gallas has attitude. A lot of the reason that I like him so much is that most players with attitude and personality these days come across as self-obsessed arrogant pricks.

Maybe it's just that I like the guy (and always have, even when he was playing for Chelsea) but he seems to be all about football to me.

He wasn't pissed off the other day because Willliam Gallas dropped two points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Gallas was right to be so mad IMO, he had just watched one of his team mates make a schoolboy error to cost us 2 points against a 10 man relegation threatened team. All clichy had to do was wallop the ball up field and the ref would more than likely have blown for full time. If United win the league by a point or two this will be the game that lost it for arsenal.

Although he was a bit childish to sit on the pitch at the end, only getting up when wenger came over, it was a bit like his dad coming over to bring the sulking child home.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement