Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Noelie wrote: »
    If United win the league by a point or two this will be the game that lost it for arsenal.

Not the points dropped to Brum at home then, or the draw with Newcastle, or the loss to Boro?

Clichy made a mistake but he won the ball back fair and square, he made up for his mistake, its not his fault the ref didn't do his job properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It was a terrible way for a captain to react, no excuses really. A captain shouldn't just exert his leadership when things are going well, it's also when the going gets tough. Gallas didn't do that. He didn't tell Clichy that it was ok, he didn't stay at the edge of the box to try and get to a rebound from a peno, he didn't rally his team at the end.

Rally his team at the end, for what, to take a good tip off? He's only human and he was upset. Gallas isn't a player I absolutely love or anything, he would me up with all his moaning to the press last season and his peformances against united and the spuds were nothing more than pathetic but on Saturday I could completely understand how he felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Qs wrote: »
    Rally his team at the end, for what, to take a good tip off? He's only human and he was upset. Gallas isn't a player I absolutely love or anything, he would me up with all his moaning to the press last season and his peformances against united and the spuds were nothing more than pathetic but on Saturday I could completely understand how he felt.

Well first of all you don't sit on the pitch sulking, it shows weakness, probably gave Man Utd a huge boost. You are a fan, you are entitled to spaz out over that, but you are not supposed to be leading people by example, Gallas is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gallas sulked like a child. He is not showing his team great leadership or being an example to the young players in the team (of which there is quite a few!), he was showing them that when the going gets tough, storm off crying and sulking. Bad example and bad captaincy imo.

Ferguson would have loved seeing it, and probably showed it to the manc players using it as an example of why Utd are stronger mentally than Arsenal.

Bad mistake from Gallas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH I understand why Gallas reacted like he did. The game was extraordinary for a number of reasons. The horrific injury to Eduardo (which tbh looked and could be career ending and that would have played on all their minds), the stonewall penalty that should have been given when Ade was nearly raped in the Birmingham box. The non penalty for Birmingham that came from a basic lack of concentration error from Clichy.

The main thing is this season he has been brilliant for us and I have talked to Chelsea fans who are bemoaning selling him to us.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Well first of all you don't sit on the pitch sulking, it shows weakness, probably gave Man Utd a huge boost. You are a fan, you are entitled to spaz out over that, but you are not supposed to be leading people by example, Gallas is

No you're supposed to pull through for 90 minutes and he did, after that he fell apart. He's a 30 year old man, only a couple of years older than myself and he kept it together for alot longer than I would've. He's not a rock. As a fan I was distrought for a player i watch from the stands, this was a friend of Gallas. A friend whos career could be over, a friend who suffered probably the worst injury in living memory in English football. After Bussts injury Peter Schmeichel had to recieve councelling and you think Gallas is wrong to break down after this match.

Footballers are just people, they suffer from emotions as much as anyone else. This is real life, not the movies. Theres only so much people can take.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Personally, I couldn't give a rats arse about Gallas' reaction. It is such a total non-issue given what happened in that match and I think it is telling that it is mostly opposition fans who are so concerned with it.

What matters is the reaction against Villa next weekend. It is absolutely vital that the boys bounce back immediately. Provided we don't lose another half dozen players to injury I think they'll show the right stuff and get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Say Vela against Athletico De Madrid over the weekend, fantastic talent, should definitely be one to watch out for in the future.

Personally, I couldn't give a rats arse about Gallas' reaction. It is such a total non-issue given what happened in that match and I think it is telling that it is mostly opposition fans who are so concerned with it.

What matters is the reaction against Villa next weekend. It is absolutely vital that the boys bounce back immediately. Provided we don't lose another half dozen players to injury I think they'll show the right stuff and get a result.

We'll have to be very careful on set pieces against Villa. we're weak on them and they're very, very strong. if Theos in the team would should do our best to counter them from corners though, catch them with Laursen out of position. Walcott could destroy Bouma 1 vs 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

What's the likelihood of Wenger bringing in a fresh Striker now Eduardo is crocked - even if he is back by December, leaves us short up front with RvP picking up injuries ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

He could bring Vela back in the summer (assuming no issues with work permit or if he gains Spanish nationality), mebbe?

SofaKing wrote: »
    He could bring Vela back in the summer (assuming no issues with work permit or if he gains Spanish nationality), mebbe?

He's already said he'd be bringing Vela back anyway. I think he'll play more on the wing though, its where he's playing for Ossasauna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

how good is Vela?

gosplan wrote: »
    how good is Vela?

He doing quite well in Spain but he's far from the finished article. He's ahead of Walcott in terms of progress I reckon but he's nowhere near the finished article. Maybe a similar level to Babel or Nani, maybe. Not too sure yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

how good is Vela?

Hopefully as good as he becomes in Football Manager..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vffmJEaUEw

First I've seen of Pedro, our new Brazillian left winger/back at Salamanca.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vffmJEaUEw

First I've seen of Pedro, our new Brazillian left winger/back at Salamanca.

He looks like one of those Brazillian full-backs who basically wants to be a winger.

Seems good though. Big guy, massive stride, good touch.

I'd be far more excited if Clichy wasn't so damn brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just watched that youtube clip, he plays just like Perea at Atletico Madrid plays when at full back in Pro Evo 08. Big guy with a bit of pace who just charges down the wing with players almost bouncing off him! Will have a very very tough time getting any bit of game time ahead of Clichy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'd be far more excited if Clichy wasn't so damn brilliant.

Maybe he intends playing him as a winger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Big match alright... when we played Villa first time around before the madness that is Christmas Premiership, I remember being chuffed to bits with the win and thinking that it could have been the start of an important time (then we dropped points against Newky and Boro which was just shocking).

But this team has already responded well to their setbacks, beating Chelsea after that run, beating Everton after the Portsmouth draw and going on another good run after the first draw with Brum. So I think they certainly have it in them to sort their heads out after the Milan/Brum disappointments and get ready for Villla (and Milan) - it's just a question of actually doing it and there are very few better than Wenger when it comes to cultivating mental strength... not a banker by any means but could be a great set-up for the Milan match to come through a tough game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Good luck tommorrow to all gunners fan.
    I have a sneeky suspicion that there will be quite a few goals.
    21 games since the Villa failed to score.
    I think we will get the draw with ye. 2-2 with thrills and spills.
    Hopefully Fulham will win though;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

With Toure out, I could see lots of goals. While I'm hopeful that Villa can do something, I expect Arsenal to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Huge match in what has been a tough week for us. The perfect way to give the two fingers to the media will be to out and get a convincing win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Can see Villa scoring, they're good from set pieces and we're not the best at defending them. We need a big performance after a very tough week. Come on you Gunners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm thinking 1-1 draw, I acn't see Arsenal getting a win based on their poor form, but I don't see them losing at home either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Can see nothing barring an Arsenal win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

keano_afc wrote: »
    Can see Villa scoring, they're good from set pieces and we're not the best at defending them. We need a big performance after a very tough week. Come on you Gunners.
    Seconded.

I may be alone in this, but I'd like to see Walcott start alongside Adebayor up front instead of Bendtner. Theo will be on a real high after his 2 incredibly well-taken goals last week and I'd like to see him given every chance to kickstart a proper run of goalscoring form.

However I also heard rumours (probably not very reliable ones, but I'll voice 'em anyway) that Wenger might revert to 4-5-1 and leave Adebayor up front on his own (at least at the start). I really really hope he doesn't do that...

This'll be a seriously tough game.
    COME ON ARSENAL

I'd like that too.

Edit - 1435: TEAM NEWS
    Arsenal start with Theo Walcott partnering Emmanuel Adebayor up front, and Abou Diaby comes in to take his place in midfield.

Yay. Is Barazite in the match 15 today?

Arsenal
    24 Almunia
    03 Sagna
    10 Gallas
    06 Senderos
    22 Clichy
    13 Hleb
    04 Fabregas
    16 Flamini
    02 Diaby
    25 Adebayor
    32 Walcott

Substitutes
    01 Lehmann, 15 Denilson, 19 Silva, 26 Bendtner, 31 Hoyte

Aston Villa
    22 Carson
    26 Gardner
    05 Laursen
    15 Davies
    03 Bouma
    07 Young
    20 Reo-Coker
    06 Barry
    28 Maloney
    10 Carew
    11 Agbonlahor

Substitutes
    13 Taylor, 09 Harewood, 16 Knight, 17 Salifou, 27 Osbourne

No Barazite. Nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Confirmed team news:

Almunia
    Sagna Gallas Senderos Clichy
    Hleb Fabregas Flamini Diaby
    Walcott Adebayor

Substitutes: Lehmann, Denilson, Gilberto, Bendtner, Hoyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Ah, bollox... Senderos OG.
    Why is it that we are consistently rubbish in the first half of games?

Fabregas and Adebayor look like they've run out steam*.

* Hopefully internet jinx will apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Jammy jammy gits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Yous lot better win the premiership. I dont think I could handle my mates bragging for another year about united.. :p:p

We badly need van Persie or Rosicky to get fit and spark the side as they look very tired at the moment. Cesc's form has evapourated and Adebayor was woeful again today, his touch in particular was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Savman wrote: »
    Jammy jammy gits.

Nah, Villa fell asleep. Nothing jammy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Arsenal man of the match: Mark Clattenburg.

Four minutes of injury time, where did he get that from?

Carson's time-wasting, I'd imagine.

That's a paper thin excuse. If Villa had equalized in the 94th minute then Arsene Wenger would have sh*t a poodle and went on a rant about how Arsenal are being victimised by everybody.

• Advertisement

You're the one making excuses buddy.

You're the one making excuses buddy.

Yeah well it needed to be said. There was a foul on Carson right before the goal too but that is all water under the bridge now.

Hopefully you Gunners can get your act together and win the league, I'd hate to see Utd win it again this season.

Arsenal scored 93 minutes and 7 seconds into the game. Considering the time-wasting, I think that's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The Arsenal side today did not look like champions elect, thought they were pretty poor and completely lacking creativity tbh. Probably missing few players tho.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Todays goals

Phillipe Senderos og
    Nicklas Bendtner to make it 1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Today's game reminded me so much of home games last season. We really need RvP back, I think his presence alone lifts the team. It could have been a whole lot worse today, could turn out to be a point gained. We're losing form at the wrong time though.

Good point on Sky Sports Sunday Supplement today about Arsenal needing to rest players.

At this stage it seems obvious that Adebayor, Fabregas and Clichy all need a week off. Problem is that we can't rest any of these players now.

The simple fact is that (as Pepe flagged some months ago when we were all being optimistic) this squad isn't big enough to win a championship, and the fact that we're still ahead is as much down to the failure of Man U and Chelsea as to the achievements of Arsenal this year.

If Man U lost to us this year, they'd really be kicking themselves. We saw yesterday Rooney and Ronaldo rested. Park comes in, Saha comes in and the rest of the team is good enough to carry them.

We're starting with Walcott & Diaby. Our impact sub is Bendtner. I like all those players but they're not championship winning players(yet).

There is of course still a chance that Arsenal could take the title but Fergie and the Man U hierarchy would rightfully be furious and Chelsea could also only consider it a failure. To put it in perspective, with 10 games to go, Man U have dropped 4 less points than they did all of last year. This is after adding 3 players for 50 million to a title winning squad.

What's the point of this post? Dunno - I've been annoyed lately with coverage of Arsenal. It seems that commentators enjoy pointing out how they'll lack the bottle for the title and that somehow the English spirit of Utd and Chelsea will see them through. Very few seem to point out how weak Arsenal are compared with their rivals. And I'm not talking about youth but sheer quality.

I don't think Arsenal are lacking in quality. I just think that they have gotten injuries in the wrong sections. Van Persie getting injuried was bad, but Eduardo aswell is just harsh.
    That's like Rooney and Tevez getting injuried, and United just having Saha
    Or Drogba and Anelka getting injuried, and Chelsea just having Shecvhenko.

Harsh injuries. I do agree their squad isn't quite as deep as others, but it's still got the ability to win the championship.

I'm really rooting for Arsenal against Milan this Tuesday, because if they go out, they can focus entirely on the league, that's all that they have left. While United will also be in the CL and the FA Cup. That would give them the rest that they need in comparison to Chelsea and United, and allow them to have a week in between games.

PHB wrote: »
    Chelsea just having Shecvhenko.

lol, yeah, poor guys.

We don't lack in quality when our squad is

Sagna Toure Gallas Clichy
    Flamini Fabregas
    Hleb Rosicky
    Ade Van Persie

minus Eduardo and Eboue we have little strength in depth beyond that.

If we could play the above squad week in week out we'd win the legue. problem is with injuries, Diarra leaving etc we're paper thin.

I guess what I'm saying is that our first team is a match for Utd and Chelsea but our replacements aren't so close.

I'd really like Arsne to buy a couple of really top level players in the summer. I hear Essien isn't happy!!!!!!

Ship Gilberto out and have Essien, Flamini and Fabregas for two positions. That's the kind of depth that will win you titles.

• Advertisement

It seems that commentators enjoy pointing out how they'll lack the bottle for the title

Perfect example is the 'will Arsenal throw it away thread'. I mean FFS!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement