Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Eduardo has just given his first interview to Croatian TV since his horrific injury. Arseblog fo***** Kesky has provided the bullet points:

* He’ll be going to Brazil soon, probably this week, and he’ll begin his rehabilitation there.

* News of The World interview was made up. He never spoke to them.

* He feels fine, and hasn’t watched the pictures or the video of the injury. He is very calm, and thinks his family suffered more than he did, and that he spent the last few days reassuring his wife and kid that everything will be okay, and that they need not worry.

* Before the interview, the reporter had to agree not to ask anything about Martin Taylor. The only thing Dudu said was that Taylor did not visit him in the hospital to offer an apology, like some papers reported.

* It’s too early to say when will he be back, and whether he’ll be better or worse than he was before. There is a long way to go, and he stressed that it will be important to be mentally prepared to get back in to the game, and not just physically.

* Eduardo thanked all of the Croatian and Arsenal fans for the support they have given him, and reiterated how important it was for him. He also thanked his teammates, and all the people at Arsenal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Before the interview, the reporter had to agree not to ask anything about Martin Taylor. The only thing Dudu said was that Taylor did not visit him in the hospital to offer an apology, like some papers reported

Sorry but what a ****! Big man on the pitch alright but couldnt bring himself to say sorry in person!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    But he was still as bad as Eboue? Come on. They weren't at their best going forward but he still cut out some good passes, stepped up when he had to, etc. and didn't do a hell of a lot wrong overall

first of all, excellent reply - i wish all of the superthreads consisted of posts of this quality.

secondly, i never said he was as bad as eboue... i just said that him and eboue were for me the two players who dont have the quality to be part of a wonderful arsenal side.
    He has at times but I've always said he has a place and a role that he can play against certain opponents. I thought he was particularly good in the first leg and competent last night and as PHB says, he gets more assured after a run in the team (compare the more composed passing of the last couple of games with the constant hoofing it long of his first matches covering for Toure)

a run in the team? he is by no means your first or second choice center half so he wont be getting that many games. he is cover for gallas and toure, so whats the point in having a CB as cover if he needs a run of games to put in any sort of decent performance?
    And no, it certainly wasn't the team that lost in Istanbul - Milan didn't lose the plot and cave in at all over the 180 minutes of this tie like they did that night

In istanbul milan caved in after being 3-0 up... most teams would get complacent when they're 3 ahead and sit on such a big lead.

Milan never seriously threatened arsenal in 180 mins of football... not once did i think arsenal wouldnt go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Bloody news of the world, how do they consistently get away with it, remember the Vieira signs new deal fiasco.

as for the other sh1te on this thread, Milan not doing anything in 180 minutes, is'nt it part of a teams job to stop another team, its not all about attacking. Mascherano stopped almost everything Kaka did last final until he was taken off so does that mean kaka and milan were crap or mascha had a good game. Kaka did little yesterday was he crap again or did Arsenal do a good job on him?

As for Senderos, yes he was crap after Drogba raped him almost 2 years ago, but he's been quite good the past 2 months, and was good last night.

Eboue thought he had a decent game, the thing with eboue is he's a grade 'A' git, and unfortunately the negativity outweighs the possitivity alot of the time, clouds our judgement. I know if he was with any other club, i'd almost depise him as much as i depise Cashley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Milan never seriously threatened arsenal in 180 mins of football... not once did i think arsenal wouldnt go through.

So Arsenal defended well, dominated the game and won well against the European champions yeah?

You sure you're not an Arsenal supporter?

Also as regards never really threatening: Did you see Fabregas' clearence off the line, Pato's goalbound shot which Senderos blocked, Pato's rather weak finish from about 5 yards out into the hands of Almunia, and Clichy's last ditch tackle on Inzaghi when he was through on goal?

What point ar you actually trying to make? if you think Arsenal aren't very good then fine, but either state it as an opinion or get some facts to back it up. Don't just make up your own match reports.

Another Bentley "waaaaa waaaa waaaa" comment.
    Seriously if he is happy playing for blackburn every week then fair enough, but walcott played at the san siro this week. What more does an 18 year old want??

Bentley shut the **** up. If you think that your that good why dont you move to a top club.. oh right!!:D

Looks like Flamini, Berto, Fabregas and Hleb in midfield for Wigan game.

Van Persie could play but I think it'd be better not to risk him.

It'll be a tough game on a pitch in bits. Just the setting for Bendtner and Ade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

gosplan wrote: »
    So Arsenal defended well, dominated the game and won well against the European champions yeah?

yes.

You sure you're not an Arsenal supporter?

yes.
    Pato's rather weak finish from about 5 yards out into the hands of Almunia,

a weak finish would fall under the scope of "never threatening" i'd imagine. senderos missed the front post header that lead to fabregas heading off the line.

What point ar you actually trying to make?

that senderos lacks the necessary defensive ability to be part of that arsenal side.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Great link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Some great pics of Hleb's booking. Played out like a comic book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Does it look like Cesc enjoyed his goal?!? Class pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Great pics there... :)

So who do people hope we get, obviously Fenerbeche maybe, but would anyone like to get an english team. Id like Schalke in the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Barcelona.

• Advertisement

We'll get Barca or Chelsea. Utd will get Fenerbache or Schalke, and they'll be away in the first leg. And the night before the game whoever they get will lose their 3 best players to freak injury.

keano_afc wrote: »
    . And the night before the game however they get will lose their 3 best players to freak injury.

Sounds like you have a plan...

Har har. Nah, I was just making the point that Utd never seem to play teams that are at full strength. I recall we only played them twice with Petit and Vieira in the middle the whole time they were at the club, due to injuries. We always seemed to lose our influential players just before Utd games.

Predictions for today's game?
    3-1 to the Gooners says I.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

zzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

zzzz

my thoughts exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Boring first half. A real snooze fest. The second half has to be better.

More points dropped :mad:

Dont worry lads. The title will go to the wire but we need some of our players back. What up with rosicky

jank wrote: »
    Dont worry lads. The title will go to the wire but we need some of our players back. What up with rosicky

Back in approx 10 days

Im so sick of this bullblot!
    We beat AC Milan in their own back yard, then turn around and can't even put lowly Wigan to the sword. A little consistency would be nice. Go ahead Man United, take the league, we don't want it anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think to be honest, the Arsenal team is to an extent suffering from a lack of rotation. Fabregas and Abedayour looked wrecked, like they are just a half yard off the pace. Having the ability to rest people is an important thing this time of year, but Wenger doesn't want to choose between the CL and the League, and if he doesn't, he could end up winning neither, or both of course :)
    Still, I think the games are a lot more spread out, so I expect Arsenal to pick it up again for a while until the CL kicks off again.

Yesterday was two points dropped but we have no players left. Kolo came on in midfield for god's sake. Great to see Van persie back on the pitch though.

I really hope Van Persie stays fit for the couple of matches it takes him to get sharp. If he does and Rosicky comes back in and stays fit, we could go on a serious run of games.

http://youngguns.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/arsenal-agree-fee-for-metz-wonder-kid-miralem-pjanic/

Have to doubt the credibility of a 17 year old who continually refers to himself in the third person and overuses 'exclusive', but I thought I'd post it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

State of the pitch on Sunday :eek:

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    State of the pitch on Sunday :eek:

It was terrible, we still had enough chances to win it, but really for a premiership team the pitch is an absolute disgrace.

Yeah, another great chance for the media to blast 'moaning' Wenger as well.

'we should have won but we had a bit of a hangover from midweek'

'and THE PITCH what about THE PITCH, didn't you think THE PITCH was terrible'

'yes, it's a disgrace to the fans who pay entrance fees but we both played on the same pitch and we should have won anyway'

'COMPLAINING WENGER SLAMS PITCH'

IIRC some sections of the media made a big song and dance about it too.

But the media are in love with Arsenal, just ask PHB.

Wenger unlikely to splash cash

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has hinted there will be no major transfer spending spree at the Emirates Stadium in the summer.

Wenger's cautious approach to the market in recent seasons has enabled him to build a squad that currently tops the Premier League, and he sees no reason to go on a spree in the close season even though the club will back him with cash.

The Frenchman is determined to spend within his budget and will continue to place emphasis on the kind of continuity that is reaping rewards for the club.

"I will keep faith [with the current players] because we have worked hard for what we have now," said Wenger.

"I have said many times, the real target of a manager is to find the balance with what comes in and what goes out and build a team with these restrictions. It is to do well with the funds available.

"We have money because we made money, and we made money because we made the right decisions.

"I believe a football team is not about buying and selling. It is about building, patience, working together and going through a growing process.

"Also, it is enjoyable now to see the team coming up slowly and see how well they can do."

Wenger is prepared to spend heavily but insists that his decision to invest in youngsters a few years ago has kept the need to go into the market to a minimum.

"I would have to be completely convinced that it is right and not stupid for the future of the club," he said.

"But I am in a position where I anticipated the years to come and I prepared for it."

And in other shock news, Arsene went on to say Fabregas has the potential to be a great player, Lehmann is nuts and Robin van Persie is made of glass.

Ok, I made those up.

Im sure we'll make a few low key signings. After all its obvious taht our squad isn't big enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Galvasean wrote: »
    Im sure we'll make a few low key signings. After all its obvious taht our squad isn't big enough.

He'll have to make some purchases, if not for rotating purposes alone, as Utd have been able to do lately, could do with a right winger, Eboue is great for effort but lacks skill and an end product.

Meh, nothing article really. Never been Wenger's style to discuss transfer plans or targets.

IMO, we need a winger and defensive minded midfielder.

Walcott has become a very viable option for the first team and he should be better next year.

With Fabregas and Flamini in the middle that leaves Walcott, Rosicky and Hleb for two places.

The problem is that Rosicky's more often injured than not. Also if Walcott is out we don't get much width, the kind of width that would have won us the game against Wigan.

Van Persie can play on the wing but with Eduardo out for so long we'd be light up front.

I'm don't know what level Vela's currently playing at but he could be a help.

If the current squad went into next season we could afford one injury in most positions except DMF.

However, it's very easy to envisage another situation where Van Persie, Walcott and Rosicky are all injured at the same time and without another attacking player, we'd probably drop points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Am I wrong in thinking Rosicky hasn't had the expected impact? No thtat he's been poor, just nothing special

• Advertisement

IMO he's been quite good.

He doesn't really lose the ball, finds a lot of space when he has it, contributes a lot to our attacking play and defends well also.

He doesn't score as many goals as I would have expected but he's a really valuable asset in the midfield.

The problem is that his longest run of games is about 3.

yeah Arsenal haven't had the best of luck with injuries...what's up with van Persie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

yeah Arsenal haven't had the best of luck with injuries...what's up with van Persie?

He has had to overcome a strange scouse illness called 'michael owens disease' but we are all praying he is through that now, and will remain injury free for a while *

So the Draw is coming up soon,
    Who would people like ????
    I would personally would like Roma cos they are Italian and we seem to be good against Italian sides in recent years.

So heres hoping for Roma, imo anyway

*Touch a massive piece of wood

haha, don't touch too long now...

I'd love to see Barca, Roma or Liverpool.

Obviously Shalke or Fenerbache woudl be good but we've probably a better record against the 1st rate teams in recent years.

I would love to see either Liverpool v Man U or Man U v Chelsea. They'd be great games.

I'd hate to have to sit through another 180 minutes of Liverpool v Chelsea.

predictions:

Roma Fenerbache
    Liverpool Man U
    Arsenal Shalke
    Chelsea Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Liverpool it is............not too bad imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

So here is the draw:

Arsenal v Liverpool

Roma v Manchester United

Schalke v Barcelona

Fenerbahce v Chelsea

Of the English sides i would have preferred the Pool so thats not too bad,
    god damn Chelsea and their f*ckin easy draws
    United should beat roma and barca should also go through me thinks

Overall could have been worse I think, we can take the Pool over 2 legs and with the PL game aswell we will be sick of playing them soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well Pool would have ranked in the middle of teams I'd want Arsenal to face. Would have preferred Schalke, Fenerbahce... and maybe Roma. Definitely didn't want Barca or United. Would still prefer Pool to Chelsea.

Then I'd prefer Chelsea over United or Barca in the semis so all in all not a terrible draw for Arsenal. Still would have been nice to get Schalke or Fenerbahce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Hello boys! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What a fortnight for Arsenal!!!!!

April01/02 Liverpool in the Champions League
    April 05 Liverpool in the Premiership
    April 07/08 Liverpool in Champions League
    April 13 Man Utd in the Premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Liverpool, sweet. After Shalke and Fenerbache, Liverpool would have been my 3rd choice. Not a gimme by any means, but I'd expect Arsenal to go through.

Looks like there will be 3 premiership teams in the semis again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement