Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Should be a great game. Would have been more confidant about the result if it wasn't for Liverpool's recent run of form and the emergence of Torres.

If I had to pick a team to lose to in the CL it would be Liverpool. They play the game in a pretty good spirit.

We play them what, 3 times in 10 days? - savage!

Edit:

Actually it's 6 games in 21 days - liverpool three times, also away to Chelsea and Man U and Bolton. Yikes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

well, it's not going to be a dull period anyway...

As nice a draw as Schalke could have been, Arsenal thrived on the tough Juve and Real draws a couple of years ago and seem to be doing the same this year so I don't mind missing out on the "soft" teams all that much. Plus, you'll only ever really get one soft tie (at most) in the four knock-out rounds it takes to win it so I don't feel particularly hard done by. In fact, personally I would have preferred Barca as they seem to be struggling a bit and always give you chances to score

I think Liverpool are beatable for sure but they've been rotating, have hit a patch of good form recently and haven't got that much to concentrate on domestically (even the battle with Everton seems to be slowly drifting in their favour) - none of which Arsenal can claim for themselves... far from a walkover but you can't expect easy ties and Agger is now out for the season so they're not at their absolute best defensively.

Really means we need to get our act together now in the league though so we're still competitive by the time the nightmare run of games hits, don't want to trying to make up points on Chelsea/Utd while also battling hard in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

gosplan wrote: »
    If I had to pick a team to lose to in the CL it would be Liverpool. They play the game in a pretty good spirit

I'd say the same about Arsenal tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

gosplan wrote: »

Actually it's 6 games in 21 days - liverpool three times, also away to Chelsea and Man U and Bolton. Yikes!

We're done for..

That's one way of looking at it.

I'm an optimist.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We need our whole squad fit and fresh for that period or we're boned.

While I didn't want another English team, Liverpool isn't the worst draw. Statistically playing the second leg away from home is a disadvantage, but taking into account the styles of play of the two sides, playing the first game at Emirates could prove to be a positive. Liverpool's CL successes have usually been based on getting a lead in the first leg and just killing the game in the second leg. Playing at Emirates first will give us as good a chance as any to take a lead to Anfield, where Liverpool would have to come at us, which would suit us more than it would suit them. If we don't have any lead going to Anfield, we'll most likely be out.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Hello boys! :)

So I reckon we'll be seeing a lot of you then? :)

Enjoy your stay, just tidy up after yourself when you're leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

yahoo_moe wrote: »

I think Liverpool are beatable for sure but they've been rotating, have hit a patch of good form recently and haven't got that much to concentrate on domestically

1-Benitez has stopped rotating as much ,only 1 player usually
    2-domestically we are more desperate then you,we need 4th place,for the money and the cl qualification

I have every confidence we can beat you,You are my favourite team to watch and I would be rooting for you if we hadent drawn you but I think tactically over 2 legs benitez will be better than wenger and the second round is at anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it's not a bad draw not a great draw. IMO the top three teams were United Arsenal and Barca, and Arsenal are on the other side of the draw. IMO they have the best chance of getting to the final out of United/Barca/Arsenal, and I think if Arsenal play to their abilities, they will beat both Liverpool and Chelsea, but ya know, anything can happen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

KevIRL wrote: »
    What a fortnight for Arsenal!!!!!

April01/02 Liverpool in the Champions League
    April 05 Liverpool in the Premiership
    April 07/08 Liverpool in Champions League
    April 13 Man Utd in the Premiership

You could go one further than that and add the previous week to get:

Sunday 23rd March: Chelsea Away
    Saturday 29th March: Bolton Away
    Wednesday 2nd April: Liverpool Home
    Saturday 5th April: Liverpool Home
    Tuesday 8th April: Liverpool Away
    Sunday 13th April: Man Utd Away

Crikey!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    I think if Arsenal play to their abilities, they will beat both Liverpool and Chelsea, but ya know, anything can happen :)

is that fence comfortable?

It's not on the fence.
    I think Arsenal will beat Liverpool, but you know, maybe Fabregas will get sent off, maybe Liverpool will score a dodgy goal in the first minute and defend for the entire time changing the dynamic of the game. Ya never know :)

Ah the funny old game...

It's not on the fence.
    I think Arsenal will beat Liverpool, but you know, maybe Fabregas will get sent off, maybe Liverpool will score a dodgy goal in the first minute and defend for the entire time changing the dynamic of the game. Ya never know :)

Fabregas doesnt need to get sent off,masch will put him in his pocket like he did with kaka,who is a hell of a lot better than fabregas and if flamini plays ( who i thought was brillaint against ac) it will be a very good battle between him and gerrard but I think gerrard is too good for him.

Arsenal have been hammering lower opposition but nothing like that against the big boys,They are now struggling and Liverpool are getting into some good form,with this nice new formation rafa has discovered.

I think the fact that the second leg is in anfield is the key,this game is different than if utd or chelski were playing,it will be played in a european style because thats they way arsenal play albeit with a higher tempo and liverpool excel at breaking down european team.frustrating them and hitting them on the counter.

whatever happens it will be a brilliant match.

dc69 wrote: »
    Arsenal have been hammering lower opposition but nothing like that against the big boys

Like Milan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Fabregas doesnt need to get sent off,masch will put him in his pocket like he did with kaka,who is a hell of a lot better than fabregas

you're ignoring that the two play completely different games.
    and if flamini plays ( who i thought was brillaint against ac) it will be a very good battle between him and gerrard but I think gerrard is too good for him.

aren't you forgetting that Flamini dominated the player you rate better than Cesc a few weeks back? a player much better at eluding markers, creating space and chances than Gerrard is?
    Arsenal have been hammering lower opposition but nothing like that against the big boys,They are now struggling and Liverpool are getting into some good form,with this nice new formation rafa has discovered.
    you're analysis is completely arsed up... it's Arsenal's failure to put away the small fry that's led to them giving away their advantage.

I think the fact that the second leg is in anfield is the key,this game is different than if utd or chelski were playing,it will be played in a european style because thats they way arsenal play albeit with a higher tempo and liverpool excel at breaking down european team.frustrating them and hitting them on the counter.
    just like playing at the San Siro would?
    and liverpool excelling at breaking down? is this a different liverpool to the one who just lump it down the pitch and hope Gerrard and Torres create something out of nothing? you'e a great defensive core, and mascherano will be key i think. but you're nothing compared to Arsenal and United at breaking down teams... :confused:

actually i think it'll be ****... fascinating from a tactical point of view but i think both teams will be looking to retain the ball as much as possible. i'm expecting a lot of back and forth in the midfield area that doesn't exactly lead to anything most of the time.

Arsenal have been hammering lower opposition but nothing like that against the big boys,
    Sorry, what?

I hope your right about that. ;)

Robin and Kolo both start today.

i will finish on this note.I think Fabregas is a great player and will be one of the best in the world in a few years but I think people expect too much of him,he is not the best midfielder in the world and no,he is not better than gerrard as many like to say.
    All of the newspapers and pundits are saying to stop Arsenal then you have to stop Fabregas,well in all honesty there is no better equiped team than liverpool to do this,mascherano and Alonso will play and fabregas wont be able to move.There is no other team in the world that are playing 2 defensive midfielders of the calibre of Mascherano and Alonso at the same time.

Fabregas is the core,much like gerrard is too us.I dont like playing arsenal because they are a very good team and very cable of beating liverpool BUT I think the odds being given are way too generous and the pundits arent looking at the whole picture.The new formation rafa has been playing will ensure that fabregas cant move by sticking 2 defensive midfielders.

• Advertisement

Fabregas starts his attacks from deep.
    Kaka starts his attacks just behind the strikers.

They are very different players.
    It's like saying that if Liverpool played United, Hargreaves would deal with Alonso easily, while in reality, he'd be up against Gerrard.

Fabregas isn't quite as deep, but the only way to take someone like Fabregas out of the game is with someone like Fletcher, or somebody like Sissoko, who will just run at them constantly, and if the strikers are willing to drop deep and hassle them.

You stop Arsenal imo from the front, then hit them on the break.

Wow, could the ref had been any worse yesterday? Fluffed decisions that led to all three* goals.
    1) Adebayor's goal should have stood. the 'boro player knocked it back to him. The ref was les than five yards away and looking straight at it. Why he didn't over-rule the linesman is beyond me.
    2) Aliadiere's goal should not have stood. Firstly the foul Adebayor gave away in Boro's half was no foul. I don't know exactly how it was supposed to be a foul. Then Aliadiere is not flagged for offside as he is deemed 'not to be interfering with play', yet Gallas has to chase him when he could be attacking the ball. Oh and did I mention, Aliadiere scored the goal! If that isn't interfering with play I don't know what is.
    3) Toure's goal should not have stood. Arsenal commited a foul which was not spotted just before the corner which led to the goal was given.

They say these things even themselves out over the course of the season but I think thats bull to be honest. Have to agree with Alex Ferguson when he went to town on referees recently.

Fabregas starts his attacks from deep.
    Kaka starts his attacks just behind the strikers.

They are very different players.
    It's like saying that if Liverpool played United, Hargreaves would deal with Alonso easily, while in reality, he'd be up against Gerrard.

Fabregas isn't quite as deep, but the only way to take someone like Fabregas out of the game is with someone like Fletcher, or somebody like Sissoko, who will just run at them constantly, and if the strikers are willing to drop deep and hassle them.

You stop Arsenal imo from the front, then hit them on the break.

Hargreaves and flethcher aint the same as alonso and masch.As i said,imo we are the best equiped team left in the champions league to deal with dangerous midfielders

You missed the point, the issue isn't that Fabregas is a dangerous midfielder, it's that he is different to Kaka. Fabregas plays a much deeper game, so unless Mascherano is gona move away from his natural position in front of the back 4, I can't see how its the way to beat him. Sissoko would be much better at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I think Fabregas is a great player and will be one of the best in the world in a few years but I think people expect too much of him,he is not the best midfielder in the world and no,he is not better than gerrard as many like to say.

Dont know how you can say Gerrard is better than Fabregas or a level above him?

How do you justify that?

Are we watching the same, run hard Gerrard or

The same Gerrard who was dominated by a 20 year old Croatian league player in a must not lose Euro tie,
    same Gerrard who hasnt done a thing against Man Utd in all these years, same Gerrard who has been a flop at International level,
    same Gerrard who was the reason Liverpool were 3 nil down to Milan, until Hamann came on to babysit him and he got all the praise and wanted to jump ship?

Out of all English teams this is the easiest draw. They are good in Europe but we are better. We destroyed them earlier in the season and we can do the same now.

Not my first choice, but they will do.

They are very immobile except for Torres, but Sagna,Touré, Gallas and Clichy are the most equiped defenders around to deal with him..

He doesnt have world class pace, as shown in the games he played against Ous,Man U and City, I cant see him being too much of a problem really, Crouch coming of the bench would be more of a danger imo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Galvasean wrote: »
    1) Adebayor's goal should have stood. the 'boro player knocked it back to him. The ref was les than five yards away and looking straight at it. Why he didn't over-rule the linesman is beyond me.

The rule here (if I remember correctly) is that if the ball deflects off an opposition player, it does not count as a pass by them with regard to offside. The argument is then whether Boateng's touch of the ball constitutes a pass or a deflected interception of an Arsenal pass.

Either way, the offside rule is very messy, Ruud took advantage of what Aliadiere did on purpose in just about every match, and got goals out of it, now it doesn't look like Aliadiere did it on purpose (he doesn't seem that smart), but officially, he wasn't offside. Gallas should have tracked him all the way regardless, as he had enough time to get back onside, and score the goal for the final phase of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

1-Benitez has stopped rotating as much ,only 1 player usually
    2-domestically we are more desperate then you,we need 4th place,for the money and the cl qualification

I have every confidence we can beat you,You are my favourite team to watch and I would be rooting for you if we hadent drawn you but I think tactically over 2 legs benitez will be better than wenger and the second round is at anfield.

So you rate Benitez more highly than Wenger? Can't say I agree with that or the fact that the second leg is in Anfield means anything...Arsenal have gone to the Bernabeau and the San Siro and won so, I don't think it will have much bearing on the game!

I can't see the second leg being played at Anfield being a big advantage to Liverpool. In fact it could turn out to be quite the opposite. If Arsenal win the first leg 1-0 or 2-0 then all they need is one away goal and they are virtually through to the semis.

masch will put him in his pocket like he did with kaka

yeah, that one worked out pretty well for you

edited to include: sarcasm!!!!

All this talk about Liverpool going to win against Arsenal because they were able to deal with Kaka.
    Hmmm, who did Arsenal play against in the last round and keep two clean sheets against?

In other words talking about Kaka here is a moot point altogether.
    I think the real clincher will be whose superstars play to their full potential on the day (Torres, Gerrard, Fabregas, Adebayor etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What's all this about Hleb meeting with Inter before the Milan game arseblogger is talking about?

Never read anything about it myself. Extremely poor form if true, and like arseblogger says, very worrying if that was the reason he played so well in the game. If it was Rosicky I'd say let him go, but Arse need Hleb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Just went for an ice-cream apparently. Didn't look all that hot to me at the same time the next night but what do I know?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2266464,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It also seems that their may be a problem with Flamini contract negotiations,so various other boards have been saying, may be a newspaper link,I'll try and find it, something to do with wages,and not breaking our structure.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Just went for an ice-cream apparently. Didn't look all that hot to me at the same time the next night but what do I know?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2266464,00.html

Do we know what type of ice-cream.

Tootie-fruity.. oh wait tahts Ashley Cole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Well Hleb told the Inter representatives that what he really really wanted was the Scudetto and apparently they misheard him and thought he wanted a Cornetto so they happily obliged... Evidently the nutty chocolate ice-cream satiated him however, and he is happy in London for the timebeing.

See? All amicably settled.

So lads, what are our chances on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ive got the distinct feeling you'll end chelsea's unbeaten home record. I have no idea why, because recent results should favour the home team, but Im backing you arseheads. :p

Full team out today, Rosicky aside. But I don't think you can even count him anymore. Eboue will get sent off again I reckon. Walcott should have started

Every time I see Eboue on the team-sheet, I die a little inside. Makes me want to switch off.

• Advertisement

Well booked after 5 minutes...

Clichy almost cost Arse again there. As good a player as he is, he does some seriously stupid stuff at the back. Far too casual.

That's most likely the league title challenge over for another year... unless they can get a result at old trafford, but that's looking extremely unlikely at this stage.

No spark to the team anymore, haven't looked the same over the past month. Never really looked like scoring anymore. The squad is still about 5 players short, 5 good players. Wouldn't be all that confident of getting past pool in the cl q/final either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Gutted

Thought we might sneak it after goin 1-0 up but ran out of steam losing sagna was a blow aswell, hope hes not out for too long
    Uniteds title now imo
    Champions League now, they have to regroup and lets hope !!

5?

With Rosicky never around we need a new winger in the summer, that should be priority number 1.

The team looks completely burnt out. There's pretty much nobody outside the starting XI that can come on and change a game. Walcott's supposed to be that player but he's rarely impressed.

A bigger squad is needed, I'm not a massive fan of rotation but you can tell that the big players are in need of a rest, but there's nobody to take their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I would like to see some big signings buts lets be realistic Wenger will buy 3 players if that at the most this summer
    Hopefully this Vela chap will come in and make a bit of an impact on the left he has a good full season in la Liga now with lesser players than he will have at Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

well that was strange. they seemed to lose their composure a bit after the goal, they really struggled to maintain possession which they are normally so good at. Wenger was quite negative too i thought in bringing Diaby on instead of Walcott when Sagna went off. better to leave Hleb in the advanced central role where he's most effective and a real outlet.

Very down after that result, I think our squad is just not strong enough at the moment,players are tired and need a rest but we have no one who can come in. I am not giving up on the title just yet, we need to focus now on the Bolton match where we have to win. Lets just hope most of our players don't play or at least come back ok from the bloody international week.

• Advertisement

Im proud of the lads, they have given it everything and thats all you can ask for..

We are still in the champions league and Arsene will strengthen in the summer.

Like Royale said we have run out of steam simple as, Hleb, Cesc, Gallas, Ade have nothing left to give, Arsene maybe should have signed a few in January, Fabiano and Yoan Gouffran being my choices.

Still we badly need goals from Midfield if we ever want to league again, their is only so much a Striker can do...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement