Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What do you mean 'did'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Get in! It might sound strange but that was exactly the sort of game we needed imo. Coming from 2-0 down with 10 men is hopefully the sort of thing that will give them the kick in the gee thats needed to push on for the rest of the season. Please come back soon Rosicky:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Not a gooner fan - but well done today - Great comeback and at least interest in the title alive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Agony to Ecstasy

What a game, I must admit I had given up there
    It probably won't win the league but that is a game that will do Arsenal a world of good with these liverpool matches coming up

My drinks feel much sweeter already !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Agony to Ecstasy

What a game, I must admit I had given up there
    It probably won't win the league but that is a game that will do Arsenal a world of good with these liverpool matches coming up

My drinks feel much sweeter already !!

yeh roll on wednesday, im predicting and heres hoping 2-1 to the gunners

patrickc wrote: »
    yeh roll on wednesday, im predicting and heres hoping 2-1 to the gunners

You WANT 'Pool to score an away goal? Id much rather 1-0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Have to say I'd given up hope at half time yesterday. But having Diaby sent off was a blessing in disguise. He really shouldnt have been on the pitch in the first place, Hleb and Walcott should have started on the flanks. Would be nice to see Theo start against the Pool. I'd say most of the players would be fairly jaded after yesterday, will he mix it a bit on Wed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Arsenal will be really up for it this wednesday, really going hell for leather. I'm very interested in this match, but personally I think Arsenal are gona win it.

A 1-0 win (or 2-0 I suppose) win would be brilliant, because that would mean 'Pool would need to come get us at Anfield, leaving them open to counter attack and if we got an away goal (which I believe we will at some point) we would be in a great position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Have to say I agree, would much rather a 1-0 than a 2-1, as long as we don't let a goal in, I will be happy, over two legs I think we will be fine.

What person would prefer Liverpool to get an away goal :)

Still, will be tough for Arsenal to keep Liverpool out, will take a pretty titanic effort, especially without Sagna. Nonetheless, I think its unlikely that Liverpool will be able to hold on for 90 minutes at Anfield not concedding, especially if they go into it with a lead.
    I think from a tactical point of view, the key thing that has to happen is that Liverpool need to win at Anfield. If they are able to shut up shop at home, I think they can do that, and nick something on the break. Key is to win at home, even with an away goal.

Galvasean wrote: »
    You WANT 'Pool to score an away goal? Id much rather 1-0

didnt say i want, just said i can see it happening

Thought I would post the below which I saw on another website, I have David Rocastle to thank for supporting Arsenal, a true legend imo.

Today marks the 7th year anniversary of the great man’s passing. For those of you old enough to remember the tricks, skills and flair of such a talented player, it’s a day that you’ll always remember. For those of you too young to know or see Rocky in action, he was a truly naturally gifted player and someone who can only be described as “Arsenal through and through”. His love for the game was immense and played the way that Arsenal have always been affiliated with.

Who is David Rocastle?

Rocastle, or ‘Rocky’ as he became known, made his Arsenal debut in a goalless draw against Newcastle on 28 September 1985 and soon became a regular member of the first team. In 1987, just before his 20th birthday, he helped Arsenal to a famous League Cup Final victory over Liverpool, and their first trophy in 8 years. This was followed up by another League Cup Final appearance a year later, but this time Arsenal surrendered a 2-1 lead to lose 3-2 to a last minute Luton Town winner. Despite that defeat, Arsenal were on the up and, along with other starlets like Tony Adams, Paul Merson and Michael Thomas, Rocky was part of a young Arsenal team that were destined for greatness.

When did Rocky win his first league medal?

In 1989, Rocky and his teammates tasted major glory, winning the clubs first League Championship since 1971 and in dramatic fashion, with a goal in the last minute of the last game of the season, against their nearest rivals Liverpool. It remains the most exciting finish to a league season ever and will probably never be matched.

This success was followed up 2 years later when Arsenal once again were crowned champions, this time in even more convincing fashion, losing just one game all season. Unfortunately, injury meant that Rocky’s contribution was limited to 18 appearances that season.

Did Rocky have International honors?

By the age of 24, Rocky had been an integral part of a team that had picked up 3 trophies in 4 years. His huge contributions were well documented and on 14th September 1988, Rocky was selected to play for England for the first time, in a 1-0 victory over Denmark, which as provided debuts for England greats Paul Gascoigne and Des Walker.

Then what happened?

Rocky was destined for a long and successful career on both the domestic and international stages. However, in the early 1990s, he suffered a series of injuries which began to hamper his game and in 1992 he was transferred to Leeds, much to the dismay of all Arsenal fans, by whom he was adored.

What happened after Rocky left Arsenal?

After leaving Arsenal, Rocky played for a number of other clubs, including Leeds, Manchester City and Chelsea, however, the fans of these clubs only saw the Rocky magic in fits and starts as his career continued to be blighted by injury. In 1999, after further short term spells at Norwich City, Hull City and Malaysian outfit Sabah, Rocky succumbed to his injuries and was forced to retire.

What did Rocky mean to Arsenal?

In all Rocky made 14 appearances for his country, a staggeringly low total for a man with his talent. Despite leaving Arsenal in 1992, Rocky forever remained a part of the Arsenal family. The fans loved him not only because of his brilliance on the pitch, but because he played the game with a smile on face and his heart on his sleeve, and more than that, he always conducted himself as a gentleman.

Tell us more about Rocky’s illness

In February 2001, Rocky announced that he was suffering from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, an aggressive form of cancer that attacks the immune system. He underwent a course of chemotherapy and thousands of fans prayed for his recovery, but this was a battle that was too much, even for David Rocastle. Rocky passed away on 31st March 2001, aged just 33.

What did David Rocastle represent to you?

David Rocastle represented everything that was good about football. Honesty, passion, teamwork, commitment, and of course, sheer brilliance, and we believe that this is why he remains in the hearts and minds of all Gooners who were privileged to see him play and who continue to sing his name, even today.

How did www.rocky7.co.uk come about?

The ongoing love for Rocky amongst Arsenal fans is what inspired us to create this website, so that people could have a place to share their memories and stories about Rocky. However, we also felt that it would be great to create an opportunity for everyone to do something really worthwhile in Rocky’s honour.

Charities have been setup to raise money for cancer. Tell us about ways of raising money?

We are delighted to have teamed up with Arseshirts.com to produce 3 limited edition t-shirts in honour of Rocky. These t-shirts will only be on sale from 25th March to 30th April 2008 and every single penny of profit from their sale will go straight to TreeHouse, a charity that supports children with Autism. Rocky did endless work with children’s charities himself, so we feel that this is the perfect way to honour his memory.

R.I.P. Rocky.

One of the first players for me to admire as a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

so we looking forward to Wednesday folks? :)

• Advertisement

Looking forward to it now, the more the match went on against Bolton the sharper RVP looked. It was very good win for us and hopefully it will give the team belief.
    Listening to various media, they all seem to be going with Liverpool, but I think we will get the win at home and get a 0-0 at Anfield.

Just watching Inside Sport BBC 1 London, great interview with Arsene Wenger, it is on 00:30 on BBC 1 Northern Ireland, well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Just watching Inside Sport BBC 1 London, great interview with Arsene Wenger, it is on 00:30 on BBC 1 Northern Ireland, well worth a look.

cheers for the heads up. i'll have a look anway.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Listening to various media, they all seem to be going with Liverpool,

Good, Arsenal seem to perform better as underdogs. They only seem to screw up when the burden of expectation is on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I think on Wednesday if we can manage to keep a clean sheet, hopefully 1 or 2 nil, we'll be laughing, hopefully. Not gonna be easy though. As a lot of other people have been saying too, i'd really like to see Walcott given a proper shot at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I can see him starting with Eboue and Hleb on the flanks. Would love Theo to start but I cant see it. We've been really struggling with crosses, will Benitez start Crouch with Torres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

keano_afc wrote: »
    Crouch with Torres?

not a chance,it will be

torres
    --Babel
    Kuyt

Gerrard

----Mashcerano
    Alonso

--Aurelio--Skrtel--Carragher--Arbeloa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

nice thread title change, mods :eek:

yeah, no chance of crouch starting - the team above is what's been doing it for liverpool for the last month so there's no way he'd change it imo

personally, I find it hard to see a clean sheet being kept at home (much as I'd like it, obviously). Our first-choice back four look really solid this season and Sagna has been an integral part of that - but whatever way we switch it round when someone's out, it's never quite the same. Senderos covering for Kolo towards the end of the ANC was about as solid as Arsenal's back four have ever looked with someone missing.

It'll take a big effort for Arsenal to really lord it in midfield, which is what Arsenal's European game depends on now and what Toure-Senderos-Gallas-Clichy will need to help them keep Torres/Gerrard/Babel out. On the plus side, though, Arsenal have shown an ability to raise their game for big matches this year and if they can do that again, then they might take a clean sheet win to Anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    nice thread title change, mods :eek:

yeah, no chance of crouch starting - the team above is what's been doing it for liverpool for the last month so there's no way he'd change it imo

personally, I find it hard to see a clean sheet being kept at home (much as I'd like it, obviously). Our first-choice back four look really solid this season and Sagna has been an integral part of that - but whatever way we switch it round when someone's out, it's never quite the same. Senderos covering for Kolo towards the end of the ANC was about as solid as Arsenal's back four have ever looked with someone missing.

It'll take a big effort for Arsenal to really lord it in midfield, which is what Arsenal's European game depends on now and what Toure-Senderos-Gallas-Clichy will need to help them keep Torres/Gerrard/Babel out. On the plus side, though, Arsenal have shown an ability to raise their game for big matches this year and if they can do that again, then they might take a clean sheet win to Anfield.

I can already see it already,Liverpool will do like last time and start at an unbelievable tempo and be very physical,giving arsenal nothing.Obviously they cant do this all game but they will be wanting an early goal and its the best way to screw up arsenals play,dont let them play nice football.

playa3 wrote: »
    I think on Wednesday if we can manage to keep a clean sheet, hopefully 1 or 2 nil, we'll be laughing, hopefully. Not gonna be easy though. As a lot of other people have been saying too, i'd really like to see Walcott given a proper shot at it

yeh totally wish he was started, cmon the gunners .... wenger will be prepping them and they'll come out all guns blazing and run away with it:)

I just hope we win tonight, heading to the pub with my class, 80% of whom support Liverpool with me the lone Gunner! :o

My prefered starting XI:

van Persie
    Adebayor

Hleb
    Fabregas----Flamini----Walcott

Clichy
    Gallas
    Senderos---Toure

Almunia

Wenger would be foolish not to put two up front. After are big comeback on the weekend confidence will be running high and the team will want to score goals.

best of luck tonight folks! heres hoping for a cracking game! and loads of arguments in the morning ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Any word on van Persie?

Himself and Rosicky aren't made of glass, they're made of... something more fragile. Egg shells maybe.

Any word on van Persie?

Himself and Rosicky aren't made of glass, they're made of... something more fragile. Egg shells maybe.

RVP not too bad, looks like he will miss match at weekend, possibility he will be back for the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Any word on van Persie?

Wenger has a big decision to make on those two...

Both are quality, but they are hindering the progress of the team

They come back from injury, play like crap for a few games, then play ok, then injured again...

Been going on for years now..

Rosicky you can almost accept, as a tricky,nippy playmaker will get hamstrings, tweaks and so on...

But Van Persie is over 6 feet and weights 70kg ffs, he always wants to play back to goal and hold players off to make a shot for himself or play someone in.

He needs to change his game a bit or get his body to the level, that can ride challenges without picking up an impact injury...

Other wise we should cash him before he starts getting old...

• Advertisement

And that Bendtner is one useless mother f$cker...

All he had to do was jump or move his long useless leg out of the way...

But no he wanted the glory...

Hope Wenger realises Bendtner, Eboue and Diaby are no way near good enough..

Birmingham is the level their at....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Will Wenger "play the kids" on Saturday and risk a draw/loss?.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Will Wenger "play the kids" on Saturday and risk a draw/loss?.

Mike.

Hope not, lose on saturday and seasons over...

We just have to win

Some of them have to show some balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Have to agre with Squall about Bendtner. He's never looked good enough. Dunno why people were raving about him. Eboue's shít. That goes without saying.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He's not good enough yet, but he has put in some good performances and is a quality prospect. Probably should be sent on loan again until he is closer to being ready though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Apparently that young bendtner is very smart (speaks a load of languages dontchaknow) along with that young senderos, perhaps if they were thinking about ball and back of net a bit more then the result would have been a different one. I certainly do hope that theo starts on the weekend, he looked good for a few minutes but once he is shown his weaker foot he is poor, as was evidenced in tonights game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I reckon what Arsenal need is David Villa. Quality goal scorer, imo better than Torres.

eZe^ wrote: »
    I reckon what Arsenal need is David Villa. Quality goal scorer, imo better than Torres.

shurrrrup! he's going to Anfield! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mr Alan wrote: »

Not a chance. Frank's money is gonna have him and Luis Fabiano at the CoMS for next season :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Mr Alan wrote: »

:confused:

You didn't contradict the Torres bit.....

I'm scared......

hold me.

PSI wrote: »
    :confused:You didn't contradict the Torres bit.....

he watches Spanish football more than me, dont wanna get into an argument about something he knows more than me about.

i doubt he is better though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Have to agree with Squall about Bendtner. He's never looked good enough. Dunno why people were raving about him.

He scored a winning goal against spuds, thats beggining to wear off now, the rose tinted glasses are coming off.

RVP and Rosicky are getting to be a bit of a joke alright.

Van Persie is such an amazing player, but if his injury problems keep up, he'll never make it at a top club. He's probably better off going to Spain, less likely to get injuried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I know liverpool got the so called valuable scrappy away goal last night, but apart from that, they offered nothing. Arsenal have to go to Anfield knowing the have to win. Its very achievable if they play like last night. Zero luck. Defo penalty. Disgrace not awared, plus bendtners block, 3-1 would have being such a different story. Stats on torres when he came off. 1 shot total, 1 on target. Thats it. WE controlled that game apart froim a few moments of bizzarness. Everyone saying were out. They said the same about AC milan, we beat them well, then all of a sudden AC milan are an ageing team.
    I thought Whelan and houghton talked crap last night. Arsene should have spent In Januray...Rosiky was coming back, Van P, We had Sagna and we had Eduourdo. What sort of nut job would go out and buy 2 or 3 players, when he couldnt promise them starting places. Whelan quote, ARsen doesnt drop the big name players like Ferguson..."Overmars", "Petite", "Viera", "Henry"
    Man what rubbish. 'Anyone got that off my chest today. roll on saturday and roll on Tuesday is what i say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    And that Bendtner is one useless mother f$cker...

All he had to do was jump or move his long useless leg out of the way...

But no he wanted the glory...

Hope Wenger realises Bendtner, Eboue and Diaby are no way near good enough..

Birmingham is the level their at....
    I don't think that one mistake is enough to say that Bendtner's just not up to it - he's put in some good performances this year (admittedly not always) and shown strength, pace, good finishing and the ability to hold the ball up & bring others into the play. He's only 20 and given a bit of time, I think he could be an excellent squad player playing roughly the same role as this year (regular sub appearances, occasional starts) but at a higher level.

I'd also argue that Diaby's got something that's worth trying to capture. He reminds me a lot of Hleb last season - great ability to carry the ball (Arsenal need a bit of directness sometimes) and a good eye for the pass but just needs to get the balance right & make better decisions (his confidence seems low at the moment, which generally means bad decisions, which means he looks poor). The improvement in Hleb's decision-making from last year to this year (and the fact that Henry's not bollocking him every 4.6 seconds) has made an incredible difference to his game and to the team so give Diaby time - again, he's only young (21).

As someone said, it goes without saying at this stage that Eboue's rubbish - no improvement in either his game, his delivery, his common sense or his attitude in 3 seasons - so I'm not gonna argue that one :)

• Advertisement

Eboue pisses me off no end as well with all his pissing and moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bendtner is unbelievably young for a player of his style in his position.

Where were Ade, Drogba, and all the other big target men when they were 20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Oh, and the linesman had his flag up before the ball hit Bendtner. We've been on the wrong side of a couple of bad decisions in the last few weeks but combined with the Hleb penalty, that would really have been too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Lads, how bloody fast is Gael Clichy? F*cking hell!! He'd give our Patrice a serious run for his money....

gosplan wrote: »
    that would really have been too much.

would that not have been the correct decision?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement