Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No, if he didn't touch it, he wasn't interferring with play, and as such, was a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Archimedes wrote: »
    Lads, how bloody fast is Gael Clichy? F*cking hell!! He'd give our Patrice a serious run for his money....
    I've always thought they were about as quick as each other to be honest, Clichy really is lightning fast... last night, Senderos was lumbering across to face up a Liverpool player that looked destined to collect the ball - Clichy, from about 5 yards behind, flew by Senderos and made the ball ahead of the Pool player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

a player on the line is not interfering with play?

an interesting approach to take!?

clichy is ****ing class btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Mr Alan wrote: »

an interesting approach to take!?
    Well, there was nobody behind him to block the shot so he wasn't actually obstructing anyone's view or actions...

Anyway, the real shocker decision was the penalty that Hleb should have gotten - absolute muck decision from the ref looking straight at it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Unless he was interfering with the goalkeeper or a liverpool player (which he wasnt) if would have been the correct decision.

Will Clichy miss the 2nd leg because of the Dive from Torres?

i'll have to see that again, but even when they showed the reply i was sure Clichy caught him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Torres kicked Clichy's foot and went down. As the ball went through Gael's legs he turned straight away and Torres kicked him. Fantastic decision form the ref to book him, he really got the big calls spot on last night:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Eboue pisses me off no end as well with all his pissing and moaning.
    Walcott has being performing much better of late. He could be coming good for us. Yeah maybe were hard on bendtner. He is still learning his trade.
    Man if we Had Eduordo or a fit van persie. Id keep Vanp. but I think someone said about a big striker is needed next season. David Villa would be an amazing option, but wed have to fight off barca and real, never mind chelease to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

shurrrrup! he's going to Anfield! ;)

If he does you'll have another world class striker who'll get you around 20 goals a season. Ill admit, this season Torres has been in better form, but thats down to how much of a kip valencia's turned into also. But when I see them for the national team, and the last 3/4 seasons, Villa has always come out on top imo, but that was when Torres was a mediocre/ bad finisher.

Barca went to Anfield, played pretty terribly, and still won 1-0 last season, so Id still be pretty optimistic if I was an arsenal fan. The tie is far from over anyway.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see us make a bid for Huntelaar. He's gonna be chased by a few teams this summer and we cant afford to be left behind again (Torres, Babel spring to mind).

Babel isn't a good enough passer for Arsenal. Torres is. I don't think Huntelaar is.

I think Babel should play as a front man though. When RvP joined us first he played left wing, and its pretty obvious now he's better up top. That is when he plays of course.

babel will gradually move into a more central position for Liverpool.

would be interested to see if he plays in the new "gerrard role" in any of the final games of the seasaon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think Huntelaar would be a quality signing for us. Ive been monitoring his progrees for a few years now. Unfortunately I think we missed out on our chance. About two years ago he could have been picked up for about £7million. Now, I suspect, he would cost at least £20million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think Huntelaar would be a quality signing for us. Ive been monitoring his progrees for a few years now. Unfortunately I think we missed out on our chance. About two years ago he could have been picked up for about £7million. Now, I suspect, he would cost at least £20million.

Nah, the fella has zero mobility,not a wenger player, like Van Nistelrooy who had two assistless seasons with ManU, but Huntellar is no way near as good as Van Nistelrooy ( even now )

Huntelaar couldnt be further from an Arsenal style player

Watch him closely for a few games and you will see he is quite clumsy,not that strong or anybit fast and he could quite easily be Diego Forlan mark II/ possibly Afonso Alves in the prem.Dont let the clips fool you.I have watched him for a while now and he reminds me of Trezeguet, boring to watch but effective yet very clumsy...

If you want a slight finesse of Henry and the strength and size of Ade its that CSKA striker, Jo.

Now hes a serious player

Babel made a mistake leaving Ajax and liverpool surely could have spent €19 million more wisely?

Babel should have concentrated on cementing a place in the Ajax team first before trying to make the step up abroad. Fortunately he had very wise people around him in Holland who knew the benefits of spending a little extra learning time in Eredivisie as he is still exceptionally raw :D

Only way to correct that is by playing every week :p

Yoan Gouffran with Caen looks a star, wathched him a few times this season and last and the fella is class...

Has 8 goals/ numerous assists on the wing/ upfront this season in Ligue 1 ( transfered his form from Ligue 2 to Ligue 1 easily )

Reminds me of Anelka, Left foot, right foot, Great pace, super acceleration.

About the only guy I see now that excites me...

For some reason I could see David Villa struggle in the premiership, dont know why I have that feeling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

van persie and adebayor injured for tomorrow..

apparently adebayor is fit according to the arsenal website, todayfm sport said different

Van Persie is a waste of space, well over rated ( slows down our game a hella of a lot)...

Honestly I am not too bothered he is out for tomorrow or Tuesday, he's been average since he came back and Theo looks ready to explode, it will also make Wenger realise we need a new striker badly..

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Van Persie is a waste of space, well over rated ( slows down our game a hella of a lot)...

Honestly I am not too bothered he is out for tomorrow or Tuesday, he's been average since he came back and Theo looks ready to explode, it will also make Wenger realise we need a new striker badly..

ive made this point further up the thread, van persie is good, but gets injured just too easily, walcott has so much potential too

• Advertisement

patrickc wrote: »
    ive made this point further up the thread, van persie is good, but gets injured just too easily, walcott has so much potential too

Deffo starting to impress, and may just turn out to fulflll his potential.

He's one player we have, that you think "anything can happen" quality missing from many of our other players.

Van Persie is talented, though not as overly talented as some would have you think...

At some point you will have to draw the line with him I agree, his injuries are holding the team back as Wenger has made him numer 1 with Ade...

Deffo starting to impress, and may just turn out to fulflll his potential.

He's one player we have, that you think "anything can happen" quality missing from many of our other players.

Van Persie is talented, though not as overly talented as some would have you think...

At some point you will have to draw the line with him I agree, his injuries are holding the team back as Wenger has made him numer 1 with Ade...

yes i said that from say one when he was signed he'll make it big, might have been no harm to lend him to a lower club to get his game every time though, and putting him on the england squad didn't help, however he's coming right now.

yeh I thought he was brilliant when he first started, but then he's just been injury plagued since

So, is it Wallcott and Bendtner up front today?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

1205: TEAM NEWS - ARSENAL v LIVERPOOL
    Arsenal recall Gilberto, Nicklas Bendtner, Armand Traore, Justin Hoyte and Theo Walcott, while Emmanuel Adebayor, who scored against Liverpool in the Champions League on Wednesday, is on the bench. Liverpool make eight changes, handing French midfielder Damien Plessis his debut and starting with Peter Crouch up front. Steven Gerrard is among the substitutes as only goalkeeper Pepe Reina, Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel retain their places.

Carling Cup or Premier League? You decide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My god. Eboue is so god damn fúcking shít

Who'd a thunk it? Crotch and Bender get the goals. Thats 3 one all draws between us. Somethings gotta give on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Galvasean wrote: »
    Who'd a thunk it? Crotch and Bender get the goals. Thats 3 one all draws between us. Somethings gotta give on Tuesday.

yep,Liverpool will go through:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

I really cant understand how Eboue is getting a regular game for us, everything he touches turns to muck! He didnt get one decent cross in today, he never does though does he.. I'm praying that he doesnt start on Tuesday, although by posting this, he'll prob score a 30 yard screamer, I sincercely doubt it though, instead he'll most likely waste 30 seconds of great build up with a run to nowhere or a rubbish cross consistently for the night. Rant over.

If we want to win on Tuesday, we need to match Liverpool for tempo and closing players down quickly, the midfield and Ade need to be closing them down at every oppurtunity, to force mistakes. Also Walcott should start, he could have a big impact if given the chance from the outset, bringing him on as a sub after 70 minutes wont be enough. Please please please dont play Eboue!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Walcott is a big girls blowse.

Mike.

Walcott looked good today I thought. It's clear again today that theres no way that Arsenal won't be creating chances at Anfield, could really see a 2-2 draw

Frustrating game..

We have so many guys no way near good enough to win a title/ compete at the highest level...

Cesc looked absolutely shattered by the end of the game today, its too much to ask of a 20 year old!

How can he possibly put in a performance on Tuesday?

Cesc is not able to play for a whole season yet, he runs just as hard as Flamini or any other player and is expected to run the show in every game..

Arsene is going to have to get a creative midfield with an engine ( Diego/Bodmer) to support the team/ Cesc next year, if we want to win anything..

Gilberto looks finished, Flamini does what he can but is limited in some areas and Hleb doesnt have the steel to play in midfield, Diaby is a lost cause, Denilson is ok but a kid..That Diarra prick is badly missed, looks a real player.

Exact same situation exists with Adebayor too..

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Walcott is a big girls blowse.

Mike.

Badly needs to gain a bit of power, he is much too lightweight to make the most of his gifts..

At times he was good today, even looked like Thierry was back at times with some amazing bursts of speed, but it all fell apart when a shoulder was needed...

His physical size is a huge handicap, Thierry at the same age could put Carragher on his arse no problem, but Theo doesnt stand a chance..

Another draw.

Cesc looks exhausted! People may go on about leaders in the team etc etc
    The reason Arsenal have ran out of steam is that they have a paper thin squad. United bought a whole new midfield in the summer & tevez. Arsenal bought eduardo and that was it! Diarra doesnt count to be honest.

Dead weight needs to be shifted in the summer.
    This includes Eboue, Gilberto, Lehman and Diaby.
    Vela will be in the squad but you cant rely on him to make a big impact.
    Arsenal are about 3-4 players short of a title winning team. These players dont have to be world class by any means but they have to be driven and of better quality then what we have already.

A winger is paramnount, wenger should send an army of scouts to find one.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/2008/04/05/wenger-s-bast-bet-89520-20373009/

Another Defensive central midfielder. If Flamini goes that would be a disaster and we would have to find 2.
    A goalkeeper. Alumnia is ok but but there is better out there.
    A forward. Benzema?! ;)

Wenger has to decide what to do with Van Perise and Rosikcy. They are good players but they hardly ever play and its really hurting the team. If he decides to get rid of one of them then he will have to be replaces.

Id expect a player to be bought before euro 2008. When does the transfer window open?
    There are some young players coming through but wenger seems to be adopting a sink or swim policy. Most of them seem to be sinking!
    Walcott, Troare, Senderous and Hoyte should be kept along with Vela and Merdia (sp?). Not sure about the rest.
    What do ye reckon?

Walcott will be a player in another year or 2. He just needs to put on some muscle. Anyway Arsenal will be able to sell him for at least what they paid for him so it meh? Just wait and see with him. Needs to have more confidence in his own ability though. That will come though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hleb and Fabregas are completely bollixed. I'll be very surprised if we get past Liverpool now, 3 failed attempts so far and they aren't going to be any fresher for the next one.

I've no idea what anyone sees in Hoyte, not good enough imo.

Why didn't Wenger rest Fabregas? He looks absolutely exhausted, and he rested everyone else. Wenger wasn't willing to completely sacrifice the league, and because of this, it means that they won't be in top shape for the CL game.

Hleb and Fabregas are completely bollixed. I'll be very surprised if we get past Liverpool now, 3 failed attempts so far and they aren't going to be any fresher for the next one.

Arsene is losing the head...

For years he was telling the press that Pool, United etc would burn out their kid superstars ( Owen, Rooney etc) by playing them way too much at a young age and look now...

He's running Cesc into the ground!

Whats his plan?

Burn Cesc's out and sell him to Barca/ Madrid for £25mill when he's a grand old 24!

Kolo is starting to feel the effects of this regime already and I fear for Clichy...

Schweinsteiger... hmmm, he might be a good signing if we could get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Surely Wenger is simply being found out for not buying in the last 12 months? He was unlucky with injuries of course but thats what a big squad is for.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Surely Wenger is simply being found out for not buying in the last 12 months? He was unlucky with injuries of course but thats what a big squad is for.

Mike

Looking back he should have possibly added to the squad in the summer, the January transfer window is really not the best time to buy. As you say we have been very unlucky with injuries, RVP has more or lees been out for most of the season, how would Man Utd be effected with Rooney out, or Torres out for the same amount of time. Our squad is that bit thin, I expect we will sign two or three players in the summer. Still the champions league to play for and you never know Boro might just sneak a win.

Mike

As a matter of interest and a genuine question here, do you think Rafa has been found out this season for his rotation policy. And as such is the quality of Liverpools squad up to much.

• Advertisement

Arsenal have been unlucky in that they got injuries to the weakest areas of their squad, fullbacks, and also got injuries in extreme amounts to their strikers, RVP been out lots, and Eduardo then gets his leg broke, very tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I'm loathe to criticise a genius like Wenger. However, the defender situation was fairly predictable earlier in the season.

I don't understand the thinking behind playing one of the best central defenders in the world (Toure) at right back on Wednesday night against Liverpool (I was working today so didn't see the game & can't comment on today's formation). Toure and Gallas are the natural central pairing. Eboue could have played right back (he was crap on the wing, anyway), Walcott on the wing, and no need to have Senderos on the pitch at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

OPENROAD wrote: »
    As a matter of interest and a genuine question here, do you think Rafa has been found out this season for his rotation policy. And as such is the quality of Liverpools squad up to much.

This isn't a trolling comment, but I think deep down Rafa knew his squad wouldn't be up to a title challenge and adopted the rotation policy early on in the season so that the team would be peaking for the Champions League.

In one sense its a smart move, but in another sense, its not way fans want to hear.

I could be off the mark, but if the average fan could see during the summer that Liverpool's squad was way short of United's or Chelsea, then surely Rafa must have known it aswel, and that a title challenge would beyond Liverpool, but that a Champions League title possible if the squad are peaking near May.

Because away goals are key, and playing Eboue means you are much more likely to concede. In general, Arsenal very much contained Liverpools attack, and it took some real magic from Gerrard to open them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

PDN wrote: »
    I'm loathe to criticise a genius like Wenger. However, the defender situation was fairly predictable earlier in the season.

I don't understand the thinking behind playing one of the best central defenders in the world (Toure) at right back on Wednesday night against Liverpool (I was working today so didn't see the game & can't comment on today's formation). Toure and Gallas are the natural central pairing. Eboue could have played right back (he was crap on the wing, anyway), Walcott on the wing, and no need to have Senderos on the pitch at all.

On the contrary, it has been the general consensus amongst most arsenal fans recently that on form, the centre back pairing ought to be Senderos and Gallas. Toure just hasn't been the same since coming back from the ACN. Senderos seems to be ridiculed by many opposition fans and people who haven't been watching him, when he has actually been playing excellently. In fact i think he would have dealt with Crouch a lot better today than Gallas and Kolo did.
    I really can't stand Eboue and hope he'll be gone next season, but he would have been the best choice for right back over Kolo while Sagna is out imo.

Yes...

All Arsene's fault. Arsène has to spend this summer..

Jose Mourinho called it a few years ago, when he said Arsene had it too easy (no pressure to win anything, selling ous the kids idea, while money was raking in for shareholders)

If Arsene doesnt spend big in the summer, questions will be asked...

Ever wonder that maybe the money isn't there?

PHB wrote: »
    Every wonder that maybe the money isn't there?

Has plenty of money...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_2752271,00.html

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=81268

PHB wrote: »
    Every wonder that maybe the money isn't there?

I think the money does exist, certainly to a certain extent, the stadium move has been a huge success and brings in large amounts, however it has never been his way to spend big. And spending big does not guarantee success. As I said I do believe we will add to the squad, I still feel we have been hit hard with key injuries.

• Advertisement

Saying there is money there is different to their being money there :)
    You only have to look at the net spends since they moved stadium, their average net spend has been, I kid you not, -500k. Maybe the money is there, but there's no evidence its been used at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement