Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

mayordenis wrote: »
    a few generally having a go at liverpool
    a few who gratiously wont except defeat
    and not so much you Sqaull20

Dont worry, this nightmare will be over tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mayordenis wrote: »
    and not so much you Sqaull20

:eek:
    Sqaull20 wrote: »
    I am praying Thierry can do the job and knock out those P!cks and win the thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Me too, cant the stand the Pool

No way they are getting past the Drog, and if they do they better hope they dont meet United, they havent beat them in years...

do you reckon?we beat them twice when they had a good manager in the CL and they now have a clown of a manger.We have had the upper hand against them in the 2 games we played this season.

We will walk it,mark my words.If barca beat utd we will win the CL and if utd get through i dont think we will!

Id usually say something complimentary or offer condolences but seeing as your all so bitter,im gona laugh instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I never thought a team would make me want Chelsea to win a match. Well after Liverpool completely f*cking fluked their way past us, I've changed my mind. The are unbelievably lucky. They got every decision in the Inter tie and they get the two penalty decisions again this time. Are they bribing refs or something?

I'm really pissed off. What a f*cking dodgy penalty to give at that time of the match. A complete joke! I hope Chelsea hammer the lucky c*nts.

dc69 wrote: »
    do you reckon?we beat them twice when they had a good manager in the CL and they now have a clown of a manger.We have had the upper hand against them in the 2 games we played this season.

We will walk it,mark my words.If barca beat utd we will win the CL and if utd get through i dont think we will!

Id usually say something complimentary or offer condolences but seeing as your all so bitter,im gona laugh instead!

lol...

Chelski will beat yee mark my words...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This is my first time posting in this thread so please be gentle :). I'm going to resist the temptation to get involved in the war of words and just say a thank you to Arsenal for a pulsating game of football that had my fingernails in shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Mr Alan wrote: »
    strange that.....since we've been better than you, you no longer like us as a club? lovely.

Lads have a bit of grace in defeat. played some good stuff, but team is not there yet.

Tongue in cheek comments like that one leave a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm a Spurs fan and hate the Arse.....BUT...I am absolutly sickened that the cheating pool won last night. Arsenal deserved it. Surely the champs league chiefs are pissed off to and asking themselves how such a **** badly organised team (by champions league standards) is reaching the latter stages of their competition by neither skill or tactics AGAIN. It really does lower the tone of the competition considering I can't even remember the last time Liverpool actually were domestic champions. It will come out in 10 years that the pool paid off referees over the last couple of years Juve style or Rafa has made a deal with the devil.

Surely the champs league chiefs are pissed off to and asking themselves how such a **** badly organised team (by champions league standards) is reaching the latter stages of their competition by neither skill or tactics AGAIN.
    If you're talking about badly organised from the perspective of the boardroom goings-on, what does that have to do with results on the pitch? Liverpool won the tie by having the skill to score more goals than Arsenal. Watching the highlights again I agree that the Babel penalty was a little soft but after the Mascherano incident against Man Utd we were due the benefit of some refereeing inconsistency for a change :).

And as for the comment about tactics, do you seriously think Benitez just fluked his way past Inter Milan, AC Milan, Juventus, Chelsea (x 2), Bayer Leverkusen, Barcelona etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Fair play to Arsenal, great side over 2 legs but just couldnt compete with the crowd at Anfield and the heart and attitude of the Liverpool players

TBH i think too much is made of the Anfield crowd, most of it by ex liverpool players in the media.

I love it aswell when liverpool fans come on here saying we are bitter when pretty most of the Arsenal fans have said congrats in other threads......

against Man Utd we were due the benefit of some refereeing inconsistency for a change

Which begs the question when the **** will Arsenal get some luck with these decision on europe! Been watching Arsenal in the CL since day one and they never get these breaks.

Maybe wenger will cash all these in next year with 6 dodgey calls going in his favour aganst united. liverpool and chelsea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Tongue in cheek comments like that one leave a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm a Spurs fan and hate the Arse.....BUT...I am absolutly sickened that the cheating pool won last night. Arsenal deserved it. Surely the champs league chiefs are pissed off to and asking themselves how such a **** badly organised team (by champions league standards) is reaching the latter stages of their competition by neither skill or tactics AGAIN. It really does lower the tone of the competition considering I can't even remember the last time Liverpool actually were domestic champions. It will come out in 10 years that the pool paid off referees over the last couple of years Juve style or Rafa has made a deal with the devil.

I've been a member of Boards for a while now and have read some ridiculous statements, but that's in a whole other class of its own. Absolute nonsense.

"the cheating pool" - how the **** have Liverpool cheated there way through the Champions League over the last few years?:rolleyes:

"such a **** badly organised team (by champions league standards)" - Do you actually watch football. Liverpool are possibly the most organised team in Champions League football for the last few seasons. At times it aint the prettiest football but professional and organised it most certainly is

And as for the "chiefs are pissed" and "lowers the tone" oh yes im sure they are........ so much so that this cheating, badly organised, $hit team who paid the refs off, have been involved in some of the most memorable matches in the champions league over the last few years to include Ol ympiacos, Arsenal and whats widely regarded as the most memeorable final in 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

This is practically a Liverpool forum. No point in even making the slightest suggestion that they didn't deserve to win 8-0. I would absolutely love to see the reaction on here if the roles were reversed and Pool went out in those circumstances. I think penalty decisions would be a little more important in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

jank wrote: »
    TBH i think too much is made of the Anfield crowd, most of it by ex liverpool players in the media.

I love it aswell when liverpool fans come on here saying we are bitter when pretty most of the Arsenal fans have said congrats in other threads......

Which begs the question when the **** will Arsenal get some luck with these decision on europe! Been watching Arsenal in the CL since day one and they never get these breaks.

Maybe wenger will cash all these in next year with 6 dodgey calls going in his favour aganst united. liverpool and chelsea! :)

In fairness, i've noted a lot of bitterness in this thread which i didn't expect to see. Makes me think that some posters are quite young and immature and don't accept the loss.

My best mate is Arsenal to the bone. He texted me about an hour after the game and said he was gutted, but he hoped we could go and stick it to Chelski now.

I do agree that Arsenal have been unlucky in Europe over the years, but why people are moaning about the '2 penalties' is beyond me. Last week the ref made a fcuk up and didn't award a peno. This week a different ref (in a totally different game) gave what was a penalty, albeit a much softer one than was missed at the Emirates. Would last nights ref have given Hleb a peno?? I'd say he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

ibh wrote: »
    I do agree that Arsenal have been unlucky in Europe over the years, but why people are moaning about the '2 penalties' is beyond me. Last week the ref made a fcuk up and didn't award a peno. This week a different ref (in a totally different game) gave what was a penalty, albeit a much softer one than was missed at the Emirates. Would last nights ref have given Hleb a peno?? I'd say he would.

Firstly you make the point that why Arsenal fans are upset about the penalty decisions is beyond you, and then you say that babels penalty was soft and arsenal should have had one in the Emirates ?? I'm confused

If the penalty was dubious in the Emirates and a stone wall penalty in Anfield then that might give cause to your argument, but that was not the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Well I'm LFC to the core and have hated Arsenal with a passion since '89, George Graham, the offside trap and several seasons of 1-0 (Wright, 89mins) wins. All the hype in the media about Wengers football really annoyed me.

But last night Arsenal were superb in parts. Played us off teh park for 30 mins or so and scored a brilliant, brilliant goal. Lack of toughness or maturity (as Wenger put it) cost you with Senderos particularly poor but you deserve congrats for the way you played football.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Firstly you make the point that why Arsenal fans are upset about the penalty decisions is beyond you, and then you say that babels penalty was soft and arsenal should have had one in the Emirates ?? I'm confused

If the penalty was dubious in the Emirates and a stone wall penalty in Anfield then that might give cause to your argument, but that was not the case

Sorry, i didn't make it clear. I'm highlighting that it's not as if the 2 penalty incidents came in the same game, given by the same ref. Once the second game is on there should be no mention of decisions that did or didn't go for you in the first leg.

Don't twist my words either, by saying i called Babel's peno a soft one. I said it was 'softer' than the Hleb one. There is a big difference. I didn't for one second question that Hlebs was a penalty. It was a refereeing mistake.

In fairness, i've noted a lot of bitterness in this thread which i didn't expect to see. Makes me think that some posters are quite young and immature and don't accept the loss.

My best mate is Arsenal to the bone. He texted me about an hour after the game and said he was gutted, but he hoped we could go and stick it to Chelski now.

Well first off this is an Arsenal thread where most of the frustation will be vented out at the by these fans.
    2 of the major calls over the tie went against Arsenal. Nobody can deny that. Is that the sole reason that Arsenal are out, certinly not. Injuries, lack of quality backup, Bad defending in part and lack of ruthlessness in goal cost us aswell but a tie as close as this was always going to hinge on a moment of genius, a **** up by a player or a refs call. Senderous ****ed up, torres scored a great goal and the refs ****ed up x2.

If Arsenal had won the tie id be fairly sure that most neutrals would say Arsenal have deserved it due to their performance over tie.

I can assure you that if it was the case of Arsenal winning in similar circumstances there wouldnt be a possy of Arsenal Fans posting such "your bitter" remarks in the liverpool thread.

Thats not to say we dont welcome posts from fans of other clubs (unlike spurs! :D), but to expect us to come out and say " all hail to the mighty force that is liverpool" is a bit much, cause that what it strikes me as whats going on here, claiming us to be bitter!
    This is practically a Liverpool forum. No point in even making the slightest suggestion that they didn't deserve to win 8-0. I would absolutely love to see the reaction on here if the roles were reversed and Pool went out in those circumstances. I think penalty decisions would be a little more important in that case.

Absolutely, One can almost hear the trumpet calling the cavalry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sorry, i didn't make it clear. I'm highlighting that it's not as if the 2 penalty incidents came in the same game, given by the same ref. Once the second game is on there should be no mention of decisions that did or didn't go for you in the first leg.

Don't twist my words either, by saying i called Babel's peno a soft one. I said it was 'softer' than the Hleb one. There is a big difference. I didn't for one second question that Hlebs was a penalty. It was a refereeing mistake.

Yeah, not an Arsenal fan, but they should have gone through on this tie. Liverpool, whether by design or not, have had a lot of help from the officials in the last few years in the CL.

Arsenal clearly need a hitman. If they had Trezeguet last night they'd have scored two more. But who can they get? Sheva? Amauri?

yom 1 wrote: »
    I've been a member of Boards for a while now and have read some ridiculous statements, but that's in a whole other class of its own. Absolute nonsense.

"the cheating pool" - how the **** have Liverpool cheated there way through the Champions League over the last few years?:rolleyes:

"such a **** badly organised team (by champions league standards)" - Do you actually watch football. Liverpool are possibly the most organised team in Champions League football for the last few seasons. At times it aint the prettiest football but professional and organised it most certainly is

And as for the "chiefs are pissed" and "lowers the tone" oh yes im sure they are........ so much so that this cheating, badly organised, $hit team who paid the refs off, have been involved in some of the most memorable matches in the champions league over the last few years to include Ol ympiacos, Arsenal and whats widely regarded as the most memeorable final in 2005.

If you want to talk about history I by no means dispute that Liverpool have HAD some of the greatest teams in history. But on current form (and I mean that over the last 3 -4 seasons) when is the last time they mounted a league title CHALLENGE never mind a title. The liverpool teams of old won leagues. How can you possibly say that a team who find it difficult to finish 3rd in their own league deserve to be crowned the best of the best in europe. Is this common sense logic lost on you? Obviously by including the phrase (by champions league standards) I was looking for a little more leway then you are willing to allow and I apologise for voicing my frustration. They are obviously not tactically **** but there are a good few better. Cheating constitutes that CLEAR dive for the winning, game killing, undeserved goal. Don't be blinded by your bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I can assure you that if it was the case of Arsenal winning in similar circumstances there wouldnt be a possy of Arsenal Fans posting such "your bitter" remarks in the liverpool thread.

Shock horror I agree with Jank. Unlucky Arsenal. Maybe Pool just about deserved it but they got more than the Lions share in terms of luck with the pens and the defensive errors.

• Advertisement

Well first off this is an Arsenal thread where most of the frustation will be vented out at the by these fans.
    2 of the major calls over the tie went against Arsenal. Nobody can deny that. Is that the sole reason that Arsenal are out, certinly not. Injuries, lack of quality backup, Bad defending in part and lack of ruthlessness in goal cost us aswell but a tie as close as this was always going to hinge on a moment of genius, a **** up by a player or a refs call. Senderous ****ed up, torres scored a great goal and the refs ****ed up x2.

If Arsenal had won the tie id be fairly sure that most neutrals would say Arsenal have deserved it due to their performance over tie.

Thats not to say we dont welcome posts from fans of other clubs (unlike spurs! :D), but to expect us to come out and say " all hail to the mighty force that is liverpool" is a bit much, cause that what it strikes me as whats going on here, claiming us to be bitter!

Absolutely, One can almost hear the trumpet calling the cavalry!

No, i dont expect the Arsenal forum to be full of people eulogising about how great L'pool were. I just thought i sensed a lot of pettiness on here. As in "we would have won but the ref fcuked us over".

I know if it had finished at 2-2 last night i would have been p1ssed off but not to the extent where i would have been bitter towards Arsenal and their progression in the tournament. I would hate to see Chelsea or Manyoo win it. If we had been knocked out, i would have loved to see another Arsenal Barca final.

If you want to talk about history I by no means dispute that Liverpool have HAD some of the greatest teams in history. But on current form (and I mean that over the last 3 -4 seasons) when is the last time they mounted a league title CHALLENGE never mind a title. The liverpool teams of old won leagues. How can you possibly say that a team who find it difficult to finish 3rd in their own league deserve to be crowned the best of the best in europe. Is this common sense logic lost on you? Obviously by including the phrase (by champions league standards) I was looking for a little more leway then you are willing to allow and I apologise for voicing my frustration. They are obviously not tactically **** but there are a good few better. Cheating constitutes that CLEAR dive for the winning, game killing, undeserved goal. Don't be blinded by your bias.

Thats the sort of rubbish i'm talking about.

Incidently would you have been happy if Arsenal had beaten Barca in 06, becomming Champions of Europe while finishing 4th?? Would you have said Arsenal had deserved it or would you have said, "no the real Champs of Europe are Barca cause they won their leage as well".
    I was totally happy winning the CL even thou we were sh1t in the league(5th)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd wager at least 20 people would be banned for personal abuse :)

Why are people saying that people are bitter if they point out that Liverpool got a huge reffing decision their way, and Arsenal didn't.
    Why is that bitter? It's a fact!!

It's not like they are, well you guys won, but Rafas got a funny beard so ha! Or the more appropriate response, wow, you guys won, but you'll probably lose in the semis and finals, and it's what, 18 years since you've won a trophy? That's bitter! Then again, if somebody did that, I'd say we'd have 50 reported posts.

malice_ wrote: »
    If you're talking about badly organised from the perspective of the boardroom goings-on, what does that have to do with results on the pitch? Liverpool won the tie by having the skill to score more goals than Arsenal. Watching the highlights again I agree that the Babel penalty was a little soft but after the Mascherano incident against Man Utd we were due the benefit of some refereeing inconsistency for a change :).

And as for the comment about tactics, do you seriously think Benitez just fluked his way past Inter Milan, AC Milan, Juventus, Chelsea (x 2), Bayer Leverkusen, Barcelona etc?

The Liverpool team seemed to think the boardroom goings on had plenty to do what was going on on the pitch. It was repeatedly chimed as an excuse for a run of poor results that almost seen them knocked out in the group stages.The skill? To score a peno? Rewatch the Masch incident from an unbiased perspective, definatly deserved. Watching that match I left the room and 10mins later my mate comes in and said there was a red shown. My reply. Mascherano? You could see it coming a mile away. As for the teams beaten. That would imply Barnsley are on their way to the Champs league final. Its not who you beat its how you beat them and while they have beat some of the above convincingly sometimes you are left with disbelief (like last night) at seeing them progress.

Thats the sort of rubbish i'm talking about.

Incidently would you have been happy if Arsenal had beaten Barca in 06, becomming Champions of Europe while finishing 4th?? Would you have said Arsenal had deserved it or would you have said, "no the real Champs of Europe are Barca cause they won their leage as well".
    I was totally happy winning the CL even thou we were sh1t in the league(5th)

No. I would take no satisfaction in seeing Arse win the CL. If you could read as well as you rant you would see i'm a spurs supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

New winger, striker and right back please. Need good cover for Sagna.

• Advertisement

How can you possibly say that a team who find it difficult to finish 3rd in their own league deserve to be crowned the best of the best in europe.
    No. I would take no satisfaction in seeing Arse win the CL. If you could read as well as you rant you would see i'm a spurs supporter.

Look there was no rant on my behalf. I have the opinion that whatever team wins the champions league deserves to be called the champions of Europe. I know as well as you do that Liverpool are underperforming in the league perenially but on the European stage they are a class act. In 05 we beat Juve, Chelsea and Milan on the way to winning it. Thats a sign of the quality needed to win the tournament, and if you beat those teams you deserve to win it.

I didn't realise that you were a Spurs fan. Why would i? Because your name mentions White? Put it this way, you're trying to put down L'pool in an Arsenal forum the day after L'pool beat arsenal??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Sagna was a loss alright but i thought Eboue did pretty well.
    Would be more concerned with Senderos and the fact that the only cover for Flamini was
    Gilberto who is no longer up to that standard.
    It wasnt ref decisions or tactics that lost the game for Arsenal, it was the loss of Flamini
    which completely turned the game and the fact that Senderos is so poor.
    He reminds me of titus bramble.
    Arsenal are quality, they are however lackin strength in depth when injuries start
    rearing their ugly heads.
    They finally need to start spending money in the summer, it doesnt need to be 20m
    on one player but it does need to be 10m+ on players who will be able to
    make the step up.
    The bull**** RTE came up with that maybe Wenger has taken Arsenal as far as they can
    is mindblowing, the man is a walking genius but seems to spend money like its out of his
    own pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

. In 05 we beat Juve, Chelsea and Milan on the way to winning it. Thats a sign of the quality needed to win the tournament, and if you beat those teams you deserve to win it.

??!

If I recall correctly, Liverpool only got the opportunity to play Chelsea due to a very bad ref call vs Juventus (Del Piero goal wrongly disallowed). A dive in the final allowed another bad call.

New winger, striker and right back please. Need good cover for Sagna.

How about Micah Richards as a new defender. he can play CB and Right Full Back. He may cost us but it would be worth it as he can cover 3 positions and we can rest other Defenders aswell then.

Why are people saying that people are bitter if they point out that Liverpool got a huge reffing decision their way, and Arsenal didn't.
    Why is that bitter? It's a fact!!

I agree. I think liverpool fans want everybody to love them!!

• Advertisement

How about Micah Richards as a new defender. he can play CB and Right Full Back. He may cost us but it would be worth it as he can cover 3 positions and we can rest other Defenders aswell then.

I'd love to see Richards at Arsenal but as he's young and English he'd cost way too much. Couldn't see Wenger paying the probably £15m or something stupid like that he'd go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The game against Liverpool merely highlighted the fragility of Arsenals current squad under Wenger as I wrote elsewhere his youth policy looks progressive but has robbed the team of experienced veterans who can dig in when the going gets tough. The moment Hyypia scored the balance changed and youth was exposed as callow. Liverpool had half a dozen players last night who have been there done that reaching one or two CL finals in the last 3 seasons and having to overcome deficits on the way (Liverpool had to win the last three games of the group stage for example).

That experiece you can buy in football, Wenger choose not to beliving artisty and talent alone would be enough both in the CL and Prem.

How many games has Arsenal won since the new year?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Arsenal need to get rid of PONDEROS and do it quick. He made Sami Hyypia look like Speedy Gonzalez for that goal!!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Bring back Tony Adams. :) Seriously though they need a leader who'll drag them through when the going gets tough.

I'd love to see Richards at Arsenal but as he's young and English he'd cost way too much. Couldn't see Wenger paying the probably £15m or something stupid like that he'd go for.

15m would not be a stupid price for Richards at all.
    If Arsenal could get him for that price they should take the hand off of City.
    City will be bigger spenders than Arsenal this summer more than likely
    so i very much doubt they will get him for that price.
    If Upson was still at the club and uninjured Arsenal the match would have finished 1-1 last night.
    Thats my view looking into the magic whatif crystal ball on my desk!
    Seriously what on earth would be wrong with 15+m on a player who would
    vastly improve the squad?
    Its that cheap mindedness that still has Senderos playin CB when 2 years
    ago it was obvious he was frikkin useless.

Richards isn't a proven player at the highest level and would be bought for rotating purposes, as much as I'd love him I don't see Wenger spending that kind of cash on a squad player. Sure he'd be Arsenal's record signing at that money.

If you look at this thread before the Pool game you'll not there's a lot of skepticsm at to whether this supposed massive transfer budget exists. I for one don't believe it, it's just being said to try and keep fans happy and keep any thoughts of selling up to Usmanov and Dein at bay. If Arsenal spend £30m this summer it'd be pretty good going imo.

Richards isn't a proven player at the highest level and would be bought for rotating purposes, as much as I'd love him I don't see Wenger spending that kind of cash on a squad player. Sure he'd be Arsenal's record signing at that money.

If Fergie needed a new CB would he not be willing to pay 15m in a heartbeat?
    Thats the standard you are dealing with.
    There is only so far wheeling and dealing can get you, eventually you have to
    pay for quality and up until now Arsenal and until the purchase of Torres
    Liverpool were unwilling to do it.
    The difference is that Arsenal can more than afford to do it, while Liverpool cant it seems.
    With the revenues generated by the Emirates this season it will be very
    interesting watching Wengers spending in the transfer window.
    I honestly hope he starts going for broke, everyone wants to see a 4 horse
    race for the league even if one or 2 fall away in April.

Look there was no rant on my behalf. I have the opinion that whatever team wins the champions league deserves to be called the champions of Europe. I know as well as you do that Liverpool are underperforming in the league perenially but on the European stage they are a class act. In 05 we beat Juve, Chelsea and Milan on the way to winning it. Thats a sign of the quality needed to win the tournament, and if you beat those teams you deserve to win it.

I didn't realise that you were a Spurs fan. Why would i? Because your name mentions White? Put it this way, you're trying to put down L'pool in an Arsenal forum the day after L'pool beat arsenal??!

Sorry. I had mentioned I was a spurs fans on the previous page.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Richards would be a good signing. He is a bit too similar to Gallas and Toure for my liking though. I'd rather Wenger went for a 'stopper'. Toure is a good RB backup. He made mistakes in both games against Liverpool, but for me that is a symptom of a general lack of form (fatigue?) since the African Cup of Nations, and not because of the position. He has made mistakes at CB recently too.

A new first choice winger has to be the priority this summer. In retrospect, it is a real shame that we didn't get Ribery (I was wrongfully sceptical about him last summer). Hleb can't do it all on his own. Rosicky's fitness record is an absolute joke at this stage, and Eboue and Diaby aren't capable in the position. Walcott and Vela aren't really wingers either, though they can do a job - but we need someone who can play well in that position on a consistent basis.

Agree with Micah Richards (sell Senderos), would add Quaresma as the winger (sell Eboue) and a new defensive midfielder (sell Gilberto)

That would not be unreasonable would it ??

• Advertisement

Would want to concentrate on getting Flamini to sign a new deal before thinking about selling Gilberto. As crap as he's been this season, he may be needed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't see the point of buying another defensive midfielder, unless Flamini goes. It is the favoured position of Denilson, Song and Djourou, Wenger rates all three, and they are all approaching the age where they will need to begin to be more involved (20, 20 and 21 respectively). Flamini has superb fitness levels and doesn't tend to miss many games anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Its weird i always liked liverpool but the last few season have made me turn against them.

The last few seasons when Liverpool have been winning trophies? I suppose success brings out the begrudgery in everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Absolute bullshít. Have Liverpool ever come off worse in a tight tie in Europe? And that doesn't say anything about them. They get the bit of luck they need every single time.

Yep, Liverpool have been lucky in getting to the semi's three times in the last four years. Complete luck every single time to have knocked out your lot, Chelsea twice, both Milan clubs, Juve, Barca etc.
    Give it a rest, would ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

This criticism of wenger over his trasfer activity last summer is terrible IMO. He got a squad that looked quite average last season to probably the second best team in the league while making a profit. I understand people's point of view that had he spent more they could've been better, but we have the benifit of hindsight now.

At the start of the season, nobody expected them to be challenging for the title. I'm sure alot of people pointed to a weak midfield and the loss of Henry, but the pairing of Fabregas and Flamini along with Adebayor proved many people wrong.

Wenger knows that this team is a work in progress and even if the win the league this year he'll still feel that. He'll be more informed in the area's that need improvment and the players that he has that are just not up to it. The best is yet to come from this side.

This criticism of wenger over his trasfer activity last summer is terrible IMO. He got a squad that looked quite average last season to probably the second best team in the league while making a profit. I understand people's point of view that had he spent more they could've been better, but we have the benifit of hindsight now.

At the start of the season, nobody expected them to be challenging for the title. I'm sure alot of people pointed to a weak midfield and the loss of Henry, but the pairing of Fabregas and Flamini along with Adebayor proved many people wrong.

Wenger knows that this team is a work in progress and even if the win the league this year he'll still feel that. He'll be more informed in the area's that need improvment and the players that he has that are just not up to it. The best is yet to come from this side.

Very true, his first 11 is excellent and they play great stuff.
    They have no strength in depth though and Senderos should be the bus driver
    not the centre half.
    Those are the issues people have with Wenger, no one can ever fault his
    quality or the way he gets his teams to play.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Agree with Micah Richards (sell Senderos), would add Quaresma as the winger (sell Eboue) and a new defensive midfielder (sell Gilberto)

That would not be unreasonable would it ??

Sounds good but how much would that cost?
    Also Quaresma is he any good. I have seen his name mentioned countless times but i dont think i have ever see him play ot highlighted for anything decent.

The Liverpool team seemed to think the boardroom goings on had plenty to do what was going on on the pitch. It was repeatedly chimed as an excuse for a run of poor results that almost seen them knocked out in the group stages.The skill? To score a peno? Rewatch the Masch incident from an unbiased perspective, definatly deserved. Watching that match I left the room and 10mins later my mate comes in and said there was a red shown. My reply. Mascherano? You could see it coming a mile away. As for the teams beaten. That would imply Barnsley are on their way to the Champs league final. Its not who you beat its how you beat them and while they have beat some of the above convincingly sometimes you are left with disbelief (like last night) at seeing them progress.
    Right, I'm not going to get into the Mascherano incident again (especially as this is an Arsenal thread) so let's just leave that to one side. You have a point about the board room comment. I remember at the time when that was in the media that I thought it was a cop-out.
    Now as for your skill comment, there were four Liverpool goals last night, not just the penalty and as any follower of the English national team will tell you, penalties can be very difficult to convert at times :).
    I also like the way you didn't respond to my question about Rafa's tactics.

Sounds good but how much would that cost?
    Also Quaresma is he any good. I have seen his name mentioned countless times but i dont think i have ever see him play ot highlighted for anything decent.

I have seen him play a few times for Porto and he looks to be a good player, fast, direct, scores goals and the important bit has experience of winning Portugese championship ,playing a few seasons in the champions league and is in his mid 20's
    I mention in a previous post that I thought he was a bit selfish for arsenal but he still has many assists. Anyway with Hleb on the otherside not shooting at all it might balance the team up !!

• Advertisement

I would like Richards too but he doesnt fix the problem we have at centre back,he's too small and too similar to Touré and Gallas, he would be great cover/competition at full back, but we need someone tall at centre back..

I would like to see someone of the Naldo mould, 6 feet 6, fast, good in the air, strong, can play left back etc.Corluka with City is the kind of guy we need imo, someone that can come into the team and play numerous positions..

We have been linked Cristian Zapata who I have only seen twice, but he looked good :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement