Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wenger has said he'll look for one or two 'real quality' players in the summer. I wouldn't pay much attention to him when he talks about transfers though.

However it does look like Gallas won't be captain next season. Cesc will replace him IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Very young for Cesc to become captain isn't it? Surely Toure would be the more likely choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

PHB wrote: »
    Seems the transfer season is starting early.
    Or the agent season is starting just on time... :D

In terms of summer buys, I'd love to see Hleb freed up to play off Adebayor - it worked very well early in the season and I think it really helps us avoid getting stuck in front of a planted defence with nowhere to go. I'd also love a 'utility' defender of the type we don't currently have (Gallas can cover corners but is far more comfortable in the centre). Having said that, an 'attacking' centre back in the Vidic/Terry/Carragher mould would probably be more worthwhile.

In terms of transfer targets, though, I basically never bother thinking about/believing anything until I've seen someone make their debut - with Wenger, there's so rarely any truth to anything in the public domain...

Very young for Cesc to become captain isn't it? Surely Toure would be the more likely choice?
    Well, he's 21 in a few weeks time so he's young, but he's not that young. I think a general lack of life experience (plenty of football experience) is the only thing that counts against him, as he's got everything else. I just see Toure more as vice-captain material, I think he is missing something that Cesc isn't. It's difficult to verbalise. The captaincy has changed hands too many times in recent years, and I suspect Wenger will give it to Cesc in the summer rather than choose a stop-gap. He's already the de-facto leader of the team anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Very young for Cesc to become captain isn't it?

Tony Adams ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know, I think of Cesc like I think of Rooney. No doubt future captains, but is it too soon?
    For me, Ferdinand will be captain for 2-3 years, then it'll pass onto Rooney when he's really ready for it. Let him concentrate on his own game now, particuarly finishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Adebayor has the main striker role locked down, with Bendtner as understudy, while we have van Persie, Eduardo, Walcott, Vela and Hleb as options for the support role.

Bendtner not good enough at the moment. Eduardo is a long term absentee. Walcott looking very good but still never had a run of games. Vela has never played in England. Hleb good in supporting role but doesn't score enough (or get enough assists). Van Persie is very frequently injured.

I don't want to come down as a negative supporter here. I think that if luck had been on Arsenal's side this year we could be winning the league.

The players mentioned above are good enough to win the league but you're looking for a combination of things to go your way - people to step up, people to stay fit, also Ade to have another very good season which we're all taking as a given.

I think that for all the talent in our forward line, a lot of it is unproven or unreliable. For that reason I'd like to see a proven forward like Villa come in - in addition to the midfielders you mention.

gosplan wrote: »
    Bendtner not good enough at the moment.
    Not good enough for what? To sit on the bench?
    Eduardo is a long term absentee.
    By all accounts he is recovering ahead of schedule.
    Walcott looking very good but still never had a run of games.
    So buying another striker will help that how?
    Vela has never played in England.
    I imagine anyone you'd want Arsene to sign has never played in England either.
    Hleb good in supporting role but doesn't score enough (or get enough assists).
    Hleb is generally at his best in that position. Goals or assists are irrelevant, to be honest. He makes the team better, and it is the team that matters.
    Van Persie is very frequently injured.
    True. Does this mean he should be discounted?
    The players mentioned above are good enough to win the league but you're looking for a combination of things to go your way - people to step up, people to stay fit, also Ade to have another very good season which we're all taking as a given.
    Likewise Man Utd are taking Ronaldo having a good season as a given. There is always a drop-off in quality from your top players to your backups. Managers have to look for things to go their way; if Man United were to lose Ronaldo and Rooney to serious injury they would find it extremely difficult to win the league. That doesn't mean they ought to be going out and buying more high profile players, because that isn't realistic. One just has to hope that things won't go against you like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

uggh they're not good

The home one is nice!
    yahoo_moe wrote: »
    with Wenger, there's so rarely any truth to anything in the public domain...

True, the last time I heard anything before an official announcement was with Sagna...although he had probably signed his contract by then!
    then it'll pass onto Rooney when he's really ready for it. Let him concentrate on his own game now, particuarly finishing.

His finishing really is terrible at the moment, it's frightening to think how many goals he'd have if he was as composed as Torres for example!

What about Flamini for captain? I'd give it to him before Cesc and it might be the perfect way to ensure he stays at the club for the foreseeable (that word looks funny) future!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I seriously doubt Flamini will even be considered for the Captaincy.His contract is set to expire at the end of this season so the first problem is he has to sign a new one :p
    Mainly though i don't think he is as committed to the club as a captain should be which would make Fabregas the likely candidate but he may not have enough experience for it full time.Toure would be my choice as captain, i think he could do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Flamini is most likely out the door. He would have signed a contract by now if he was going to stay. Makes losing Diarra to Pompey look a little more significant now.

That doesn't mean they ought to be going out and buying more high profile players, because that isn't realistic. One just has to hope that things won't go against you like that.

Earlier on in the season, when Arsenal were top and everyone began thinking of the title, you said that it was probably too early for this squad to win it.

It was a very astute call.

I just feel that we need to add something up front if we hope to beat both Man Utd and Chelsea next year.

I won't go into the player by player list again as it's nit picking but you're basically talking about starting the year with Ade, RVP, Hleb and Walcott as possible first choice strikers/second strikers. I don't think that's enough depth, especially if Hleb will drop more into midifled, Van Persie could be injured and Walcott hasn't played much as a striker. That's all.

I'm not looking to dump any of these players, they're all good enough - but we lacked on options towards the end of this year and I don't want that to happen again.

Well, Wenger has to go through them player by player and make the call because if he signs another striker at least one player will have to go, there won't be enough room. My only concern with the strikers is that Bendtner doesn't/hasn't progressed enough to rotate with Adebayor for the 'easy' games when he needs a rest, because that affected his form this season. Someone like Villa would act as a partner to Adebayor/Bendtner and we already have van Persie, Eduardo, Walcott, Vela and Hleb who can perform that role (and personally, all of whom are good enough to do it against most teams). The problem is one would find it very difficult to sign a player who'd be happy to be second fiddle to Adebayor and still be better than Bendtner.

Just saw this today:
    "I had a word with the manager in October," Walcott said in the Daily Telegraph.

"I basically said 'what do I have to do to start a game?' He said, 'you've got to be a bit more aggressive'. Not kicking people. But running at players, doing defensive duties and tucking into midfield when we haven't got the ball.

"Of late, I've been doing all those things, but I still haven't had a run in the starting line-up. Hopefully this weekend I will, and if not I'll knock on the door again and say, 'now what do I have to do?'

"I have been working hard the last couple of months. I deserve a couple of games on the trot, I think."

"I've been playing out wide all season, but when I've played up front I've done really well," Walcott added.

"He sees me as a striker, which is nice, so hopefully I'll play a bit more up front next year. We'll see."

Well he's finally dropped Eboue for Walcott. Thank fúck for that. Why did it take so fúcking long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

1-0 to the Arsenal, Adebayor. Lovely goal, nice pass from Toure. Walcott is playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Is Gilberto going to leave in the Summer ya? Its no surprise that his loss of form coincided with the captaincy being taken off of him. Great player, I just hope he doesn't fade into the abyss on arsenals bench for the rest of his career.

That's Hleb banned for the rest of the season. Odd thing for him to do.

Murty must have said something to him, didn't see any rash tackles on him or anything. Stupid act by Hleb none the less.

Maybe he's trying to end his season early so he can piss off to Inter

• Advertisement

Lovely play from Walcott, himself and Fabregas, and Gilberto are having great games.

Cracking free kick from van Persie, off the bar and down, unfortunately, the wrong side of the bar tho.

How on earth did that finish at just 2-0?

Usual story of not converting as many chances as we should have, but as 2008/09 warm-up games go it was a pleasing performance. Theo looks to be developing real confidence in his ability at long last.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Is Gilberto going to leave in the Summer ya? Its no surprise that his loss of form coincided with the captaincy being taken off of him. Great player, I just hope he doesn't fade into the abyss on arsenals bench for the rest of his career.

slightly harsh imo, he came back late at the start of the season from international duty, Flamini took his chance and so could not get back in the team, when he did come in he was always off the pace imo. He will be leaving in the summer has been a great player down the years for us.

Walcott looking great. Reminds me of George Best.

Word has it that Flamini will sign his contract, will be a huge boost if true.

http://clockenders.com/afc/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

MBC wrote: »
    Supposely New Arsenal Shirts for the 08-09 season:

Home and Away

Liking the home kit. Hope the real one looks like that. The away one is okay... Who am I kiding? I'll buy it..

Flamini would be a massive loss. I pray he signs a new contract.

I do believe we could use a new striker, (Carlos Vela perhaps). Bendtner isn't really living up to his potential and is a squad morale killer. I'd prefer if we cashed in a brought someone else in.
    Van Persie has amazing talent. If we can keep him fit he will do a great job with Adebayor, but he has a habit of picking up serious injuries... while playing for Holland.
    Ade has done wonders for us this season although the lack of cover for him showed up. Lately he seems to get jaded after 70minutes.
    As for Eduardo, sure he may come back in time for Xmas, but it will take a long while for him to get back to his best. Just look how long it has taken RvP to get back to match fitness this year. Ditto for Thierry Henry the previous season.

I also reckon Walcott will become a force to be reckoned with. It looks like Wenger is doing what he did with Henry. Start him off as a winger, so he can learn to beat people in one-on-ones, then hopefully unleash him a s a striker later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

oh for god sake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

kryogen wrote: »
    oh for god sake
    My exact reaction upon reading that.

Had a decent game tho.

oh for god sake

what?

please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Yep very true, dead ringer, Senderos reminds me of Nesta too now that i think about it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/women/7357703.stm

Arsenal to get silverware after all?

Yep very true, dead ringer

If I was going for a dead ringer, I'd have to say Craiiiiiiiggg David.

I suspect some of you think I was trying to say Walcott is the new best or something like that. I was actually making an observation on his style, how he looks when he goes around people.

If you don't see it then you don't see it I guess.

Calm down a bit though.

Walcott's style reminds me more of Marc Overmars at the moment.

• Advertisement

Looking at David Villa, I would say he's the perfect striker for us and would fit in nicely with the squad, but the gaffer says no :(

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=490460&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Wenger+-+I+am+not+in+the+market+for+David+Villa

Will Wenger stick by that? Do you think we don't need a striker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Well arguably our strikeforce has done reasonably well this season, and Wenger seems to be saying that he wants to keep it together personnel-wise. On that basis, we wouldn't need another forward...

...but imho while Bendtner is a decent player with bags of potential the damage he does to team morale and squad unity is incalculable. In addition, David Villa has said a) he wants to play in England, and b) that Arsenal would be his preferred destination.

If it were me, I'd offload Nicklas and move heaven and earth to bring in Villa. I've admired him for a long time and I really do think he would bring so much more to our attacking frontline than Bendtner does.

But then I'm not Arséne, and In Arséne We Trust...

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Looking at David Villa, I would say he's the perfect striker for us and would fit in nicely with the squad, but the gaffer says no :(

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=490460&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Wenger+-+I+am+not+in+the+market+for+David+Villa

The gaffer is a dirty liar! :mad:

Diaby picked up an injury in tonight's reserve team win over West Ham and is apparently going to be out for a few weeks.

More interesting to me is that young Jack Wilshere created one and scored one, making it 2 goals in 2 starts for the reserves, and he is barely 16. He looks like a serious prospect... although I recall Anthony Stokes doing something similar. Still, he's a striker, Wilshere is a midfielder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What are people's opinion on ronaldihnio?
    The milan deal is suppsoed to have stalled and if Man City are serious contenders for him then why not Arsenal. Nobody can deny his talent. The only thing in question is his motivation and a new challenge like Arsenal and Wenger would do wonders imo.

It would certinaly sort out one of our wings!

Any opinions?

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    What are people's opinion on ronaldihnio?
    The milan deal is suppsoed to have stalled and if Man City are serious contenders for him then why not Arsenal. Nobody can deny his talent. The only thing in question is his motivation and a new challenge like Arsenal and Wenger would do wonders imo.

It would certinaly sort out one of our wings!

Any opinions?

No thanks, his wages aren't worth it! He'd come in and instantly earn £30k-£40k more than any other player at the club...Wenger will find somebody though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I see what you are saying and it would be an obvious concern to how the squad would react to him coming in. But he would be quality!

jasonorr wrote: »
    No thanks, his wages aren't worth it! He'd come in and instantly earn £30k-£40k more than any other player at the club...Wenger will find somebody though!

I'd fear the knock on effect too. If hes getting over 100k how long before Fabregas, Ade, RvP and Flamini all want parity?

What does everyone think of Song's run in the first team? I'm quite impressed at the moment. hopefully he'll have a run til seasons end. Pity we can't use Djourou to (injured). We need to try out as many defensive options as possible before next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

what?

please explain.

do you really need me to explain it??

it was a ludicris statement to make, and i was hoping you were joking but it appears you are serious..........

nobody could take that comparison seriously ok, its a joke to do it at this stage....you see someone have a good game and compare him to a legend of the game saying he reminds you of him!!!!!!

its such a ridiculus topic that i cant continue with it

Ronaldinho would be terrible for Arsenal imo, another Henry only worse!!

Why not have a look at Diego? or more importantly a holding midfielder?

do you really need me to explain it??

it was a ludicris statement to make, and i was hoping you were joking but it appears you are serious..........

nobody could take that comparison seriously ok, its a joke to do it at this stage....you see someone have a good game and compare him to a legend of the game saying he reminds you of him!!!!!!

nothing to do with the game he had, just the way he runs. I'm not saying he is as good as best or has the potential to be as good but when he runs he cuts a similar figure.

Best also had amazingly quick feet - like hleb. So I could say that sometimes hleb reminds me of best...or another player with really quick feet. this doesn't mean I'm comparing their overall ability.

Watch theo's run against liverpool and watch some old clips of best running past people. They look alike!!

I guess in these days of 'rooney is the new pele' and '(any good young french midfielder) is the new zidane' I should have explained myself more. In no way do I ever think that Walcott would be as good as Best, but he's allowed to resemble him.

While we're at it, am I the only person who thinks that Sagna looks like Carla Bruni?

Why not have a look at Diego? or more importantly a holding midfielder?

Essien!! Dear god I would love Essien to come but they'd never pay his transfer fee and wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'd fear the knock on effect too. If hes getting over 100k how long before Fabregas, Ade, RvP and Flamini all want parity?

If Arsenal are to be taken seriously, they'll have to start paying the big bucks for these players, loyalty to Wenger and his youth signings will only go so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Quaresma would be a great signing for Arsenal. He's someone who will run directly at players and not be afraid to have a go.
    Like Theo, only already playing to his potential...

While we're at it, am I the only person who thinks that Sagna looks like Carla Bruni?

In what way?

carla-bruni-2211.jpg

72795.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement