Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

jasonorr wrote: »
    In what way?

carla-bruni-2211.jpg

72795.jpg
    I believe he was joking (this time).
    jank wrote:
    I see what you are saying and it would be an obvious concern to how the squad would react to him coming in. But he would be quality!
    Much as you seem to be - even leaving aside the little issues like wage structures, squad togetherness, etc. do you really think Ronaldinho is guaranteed quality at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ronaldinho would not be worth the risk. Arsenal couldn't really afford a high profile flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wonder who Wenger is gonna play on the left now with Diaby and Hleb out? Van Persie again?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

playa3 wrote: »
    Wonder who Wenger is gonna play on the left now with Diaby and Hleb out? Van Persie again?
    Wilshere and Walcott on the flanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wilshere and Walcott on the flanks!

Why not? its only Derby.

edit: arsenal lose 1-0

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Ronaldinho wont be courted by arsenal .Wenger is wary of big spending after all the flops he has had through those means.He will porlly buy some players who he feels hecan develop further.Frankly without a world class signing or 2, your gonna be emoty handed next year 2 because chelsea,united and liverpool will strengthen with world class players in the summer.A team of youngsters can only go so far.You need the experienced world class players to get them over the finish line, to guide them to a title victory.The only person who can do that at arsenal atm is toure.Gallas is a joke, i wouldn't be surprised if he is gone next year as the dressing room has lost all faith in him.

Conclusion : Gallas ,Bentner,Eboue Sell
    :Villa ,Centre back, Winger Buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ronaldinho wont be courted by arsenal .Wenger is wary of big spending after all the flops he has had through those means.He will porlly buy some players who he feels hecan develop further.Frankly without a world class signing or 2, your gonna be emoty handed next year 2 because chelsea,united and liverpool will strengthen with world class players in the summer.A team of youngsters can only go so far.You need the experienced world class players to get them over the finish line, to guide them to a title victory.The only person who can do that at arsenal atm is toure.Gallas is a joke, i wouldn't be surprised if he is gone next year as the dressing room has lost all faith in him.

Conclusion : Gallas ,Bentner,Eboue Sell
    :Villa ,Centre back, Winger Buy

We don't need any World Class players...they just need better first team back up so that they can rest players properly without effecting the way we play!

no offence but ye do and badly, How ye still play eboue right wing and expect to win stuff is hilarious.With RVP's injury issues(starting to turn into our version of Saha ) you need another striker of a high standard to compete with ade

This seasons results vs the top 4 shows your side needs improvements because you can bet that your rivals will be spending in the summer.

Arsenal Vs Rest of Big 4
    Liverpool
    ManUtd
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Won
    X
    Lose
    X
    Draw
    X
    ManUtd
    Win
    X
    Draw
    X
    Lose
    X
    Chelsea
    Win
    X
    Draw
    X
    Lose
    X
    Liverpool
    Win
    X
    Draw
    X
    Lose
    X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

playa3 wrote: »

Maybe Traore might be worth a run in that position.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Why not? its only Derby.
    He's even a lefty! Reminds me of Joe Cole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wOgKUdVXQE

It'll probably be van Persie though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

annoying the way they don't put the names on the back of the reserve jersey's.

I'm not fan enough to know who they all are from sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This seasons results vs the top 4 shows your side needs improvements because you can bet that your rivals will be spending in the summer.

Fergie said at the start of the year the league would be decided on those top 4 results. It looks like he might be right.

no offence but ye do and badly, How ye still play eboue right wing and expect to win stuff is hilarious.With RVP's injury issues(starting to turn into our version of Saha ) you need another striker of a high standard to compete with ade

Arsenal Vs Rest of Big 4
    Liverpool
    ManUtd
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Won
    X
    Lose
    X
    Draw
    X
    ManUtd
    Win
    X
    Draw
    X
    Lose
    X
    Chelsea
    Win
    X
    Draw
    X
    Lose
    X
    Liverpool
    Win
    X
    Draw
    X
    Lose
    X

I don't really care about the stats because I know from watching them that they are much better than those stats show...why don't you dig up those same stats from last season? Since we finished top then, we didn't need to strenghten for this season I suppose?
    PHB wrote: »
    Fergie said at the start of the year the league would be decided on those top 4 results. It looks like he might be right.

Like it did last year? That's said every season...the only difference is this year it looks convincing!

I don't really care about the stats because I know from watching them that they are much better than those stats show...why don't you dig up those same stats from last season? Since we finished top then, we didn't need to strenghten for this season I suppose?

Your post kinda confused me , are you an arsenal fan or and man utd fan?

• Advertisement

Your post kinda confused me , are you an arsenal fan or and man utd fan?

Arsenal, who finished top of the top 4 fixtures last season!!!

Arsenal, who finished top of the top 4 fixtures last season!!!

Yep, we just messed up against teams like West Ham and Bolton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You know what they say.
    90% of stats are made up on the spot.

He's even a lefty! Reminds me of Joe Cole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wOgKUdVXQE

It'll probably be van Persie though.
    Wow! wont be long until he is in the first team. Expect him to start in Carling Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

jank wrote: »
    You know what they say.
    90% of stats are made up on the spot.

Thats not quite relevant when all the stats above are based on known results...

I think you meant to say the other one, where stats don't really reflect the true nature of what goes on in a match.

• Advertisement

This is pretty funny!

"It was a difficult match and I was very disappointed with the referee," said Benitez after the 1-1 draw.

"He gave just one minute injury-time in the first period and four in the second. It was hard to understand."

"All the free-kicks seemed to go against us. The first four free-kicks against us were for pushing, and then when one of their players (Ashley Cole) pushes one of our players in the back with both hands in the box, there's nothing."

Can't help but say, So What...he had no sympathy for us in the last round!

Liverpool were unlucky last night and Chelsea are probably favourites now, but I think I'd prefer to see Liverpool go through...not win it mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

It's beginning to look like Flamini is leaving
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3463218,00.html

Juve have offered £10000 more a week than Arsenal and he was a Juve supporter as a kid apparently
    This will be a massive blow for Arsenal we will need to buy an already experienced player for DM but i'm not sure where we will be able to find an available player with the dynamism of Flamini. Cannot afford to have a player that will need a season to bed in, cos then it will be another trophless year I think. Denison and Diaby are not ready, Gilberto is passed his best
    Gareth barry is the player we need imo if Flamini leaves. he will be priced high but will be worth it.

I dont understand why Arsenal dont get these players on a longer contract, If they dont sign they should sell and at least make some money out of it. Like how many players have left on a free for the few years? Edu is one anyway

There is no point blooding young players then leaving them go off on a free transfer! Its a serious flaw in the club thats costing them trophies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd say it was to do with Henry's massive wages and they had to keep a tight ship in order to maintain margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Also Flamini never looked much of a player until this season, before now he was average at best.

Noelie wrote: »
    Also Flamini never looked much of a player until this season, before now he was average at best.
    Yep, Arsenal tried to flog Flamini to Middlesbrough last season, so getting him tied down on a long contract wasn't really a priority.

Flamini really would be a loss that we could do without. It's going to be an interesting summer.

That Wilshire guy looks a great prospect. Expect to see him play in our Carling Cup run next season.

Flamini leaving, say it aint so!

It'll probably be just a few minutes at the end of games for Wilshere. Next season's Carling Cup run will be about the introductions of Vela, Barazite, Lansbury, Merida and Nordtveit, depending on who gets loaned where and which existing squad players are shipped out.

Noelie wrote: »

Afraid I can't really agree, Flamini did not really have much opportunity and I think it is also very important to recognise the role he played in getting us to the champions league final in Paris, he played left back and have to say he was very very unlucky not to have played in the final. Obviously with Gilberto coming back late from International duty, Flamini got his chance in his position and took it, I would be hopeful he signs an extension.

Looking at the United Barca match tonight, I thought yaya Toure was very good.
    Didnt he have a trial at arsenal about three years ago. Any idea why Wenger didnt sign him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jank wrote: »
    Any idea why Wenger didnt sign him?

i thought they did want to sign him but he didn't want to sign for them, that he didn't wan't to be in the shadow of his brother but make a name for himself.

He had a trial with Arsenal years ago and was bitter that they didn't take him on... what I heard anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

He had a trial with Arsenal years ago and was bitter that they didn't take him on... what I heard anyway.

aye subsequent googling seemed to indicate this. dunno where i got that in my head.

back on Flamini, i personally think he'd be a bit mad to go. Arsenal's style suits him down to ground, what with him and Cesc being so mobile and Wenger knowing exactly how to deploy this. i think he'd be good for Juve, but i don't think he'd ever play as well for them as he could for Arsenal. I think he'd find himself feeling stifled compared to playing for the current Arsenal team. anyway only time will tell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Whatever about buying proven players, it seems Arsenal have bought another "one for the future". They signed a 15 year old midfielder from AZ Alkmaar linky . He won't link up with Arsenal until September though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I would be hopeful he signs an extension.
    I hope he stays. But I'm not hopeful - I think he'll go.

He's had plenty of opportunity to sign/agree a deal in recent months (something which I feel might have helped the squad) and he hasn't. Even if he's been taking a 'wait and see' approach, I'm not sure he'll have seen enough to keep him - if a young team achieving far more than most people expected in the first 4/5 months of the season didn't make him want to stay, then I don't think the decline since then will have done much for him.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Whatever about buying proven players, it seems Arsenal have bought another "one for the future". They signed a 15 year old midfielder from AZ Alkmaar linky . He won't link up with Arsenal until September though.

Great, another one. Not that its abad thing, but Id like to win some trophies soon, rhather than just later.

Looks like we might be resting some players for the rest of the season, I really really hope Spain,France and Holland are knocked out in the 1st round of the Euros.
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=490673&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Wenger+-+I+could+rest+Euro+2008+players

Interesting.
    What players are playing in euro 2008?

Van Persie, Cesc, Gallas, Lehmann, Senderos, maybe Djourou too.

Then perhaps Clichy, Sagna, Flamini... not sure if they're definitely in the French squad these days, although they bloody should be.

Rosicky will still be injured. Surprise, surprise.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »

As a player, no thanks! I wouldn't say no to giving him a coaching/scouting role in the future though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I wouldnt want him back as a player to be honest. Sends out the wrong message to the other strikers. I see Modric is using Newcastle to get a move somewhere else. Is he worth a gamble?

I can see why people might not have him back but to be honest I would forget about his first season with Barcelona, I honestly believe he could still do a job for us,highly unlikely to happen I know,but for me he was the greatest player the premiership has seen, some wonderful wonderful memories, back heel against Charlton, the goal against the spuds and the celebration in front of their supporters at the clock end apparently he has a photo of that celebration hanging on his wall. At least he is unlikely to go back to any other premiership club, that would be :(

Whats the odds van Persie breaks a leg at Euro 2008? If I could get odds of over 5/1 id snap them up.

• Advertisement

Whats the odds van Persie breaks a leg at Euro 2008? If I could get odds of over 5/1 id snap them up.

would not be surprised, lets hope they get knocked out as early as possible.

As much as I want our players well rested, I cant help but root for them when they play internationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Lol at today - and THEY call US whingers!!!!

As much as I want our players well rested, I cant help but root for them when they play internationally.

complete opposite, they have had a long hard season, I'm really worried that they may well do well in the Euros and have very little rest considering pre season starts July, I know the internationals will get a bit extra time off, but the more the better.

gosplan wrote: »
    Lol at today - and THEY call US whingers!!!!

Too right and if it was us you can be sure it would be highlighted by sky/bbc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement