Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

sgarvan wrote:
    i was down at the stadium on saturday. My god it is impressive!!

Yeah was down there last Monday, only got to see the outside and the shop but it is an amazing looking place. Will try and get to a match now before the end of the year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

gandalf wrote:
    Yeah was down there last Monday, only got to see the outside and the shop but it is an amazing looking place. Will try and get to a match now before the end of the year.
    Saturday, 09 September 2006

Arsenal v Middlesbrough, 15:00

That's me sorted! \o/ \o\ /o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think if Arsenal can make a profit on the player and sell him in good time to get a decent replacement, then it would be the right thing to do. Although who out ther could they replace him with...the squad is getting thin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Loved the player but as blogger on arseblog said, his never really reached his potential and still has SFA english. Robinho or baptista were mentioned in the swap so it might'nt turn out too bad. Robinho impressed when he came on at the WC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You have tickets for that match?

Im looking for tickets for the same match myself as ill be in london that weekend

RE Reyes. I agree that if arsenal can get Robinho or baptista then they should go for it. I think Reyes was all hype and never filled is potnetial. Has bags of talent but rarely has the condifence to do it.

I think he should go if he wants to.

Re Cole well he is going but a good price is a must and if Arsenal can get Gallas as well then that would be a dream signing.

• Advertisement

jank wrote:
    You have tickets for that match?

Im looking for tickets for the same match myself as ill be in london that weekend

RE Reyes. I agree that if arsenal can get Robinho or baptista then they should go for it. I think Reyes was all hype and never filled is potnetial. Has bags of talent but rarely has the condifence to do it.

I think he should go if he wants to.

Re Cole well he is going but a good price is a must and if Arsenal can get Gallas as well then that would be a dream signing.
    My mate got a season ticket over the summer but isn't able to go.

Despite Reyes inconsistant form he was still our second best midfielder last season, which is pretty good considering he ain't no midfielder. He's getting better all the time and it'll be such a shame if he goes. He's got 5 years left on his contract though so I don't think he will.

// EDIT - from Arsenal.com
    "I don't know where these words have come from.

"But what I would like to say is that I am very happy at Arsenal. At the moment we are all training hard in preparation for the new season and I am excited about not only playing at Emirates Stadium but also helping Arsenal to challenge for honours."
    Hmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This is the the second time he has come out and said he isnt settling in england.

Maybe the first quotes that have been realised now are just a repeat of what he said originally about a year ago?

Wouldnt suprise if a lazy tabloid journalist read them and said "i will reaise them again and everyone will think he has just come out and said it again"

only a thought..

Most of the first team played for the first time this season today against some 3rd division Austrian team. Finished 8-1 with goals from Adebayor (2), Van Persie (2), Djourou, Toure, Bendtner and Hleb.

Interestingly I heard that Wenger played the first 45 with a 4-3-3, the middle trio being Gilberto, Flamini and Fabregas, with a front three of Reyes, Van Persie and Adebayor. Van Persie and Gilberto played 60 mins, the other four 45.

Reyes got 3 assists in his half. By most accounts Alex Song was excellent when he came on for Flamini, which is a bit of a surprise. Traore again looked the business at left-back. You can't learn much from these sort of games, but at least the first-teamers got a decent work-out ahead of the CL qualifier coming up.

LOL

Just saw this now on SSN:
    Arsenal have taken Ghana World Cup star Shilla Illiasu on trial.

The 23-year-old featured in all four of The Black Stars' games at the finals in Germany - starting the last three of them.

The central defender shone in Germany and his performances caught the attention of Arsene Wenger and his scouts.

Illiasu's club Kumasi Asante Kotoko have confirmed that Illiasu is on his way to London to link-up with The Gunners.

Arsenal have excellent contacts in Africa and now they have agreed a deal with Kotoko - which sees Illiasu arriving for a trial spell.

The highly-rated stopper will get the chance over the next few days to try and convince Wenger that he is worthy of a move to The Premiership.

Reports from Africa suggest Kotoko would allow Illiasu to leave for around $1 million (£500,000).
    Who was it that posted earlier saying Wenger would buy some African sprinter that nobody had ever heard of?

Jaysus song had a good game, that team must have been really really bad.

• Advertisement

Jaysus song had a good game, that team must have been really really bad.

Your harsh on Song. The guy is a big strong lad which they need for the tough games. He's also a fantastic ballwinner, unfortunately however having said that he is also a fantastic ball loser and his speed does need to improve. i think he will improve if he gets more games and adjusts to premiership pace. It took Pires, Ljungberg and Hleb a while and i think Rosicky will struggle initially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

heading over to that game myself. Really looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

LOL

Just saw this now on SSN:

Who was it that posted earlier saying Wenger would buy some African sprinter that nobody had ever heard of?

Don't suppose anyone has heard any more about this or any potential Arsenal signings for that matter.

Do people think a central defender is needed with the current injuries or will arsenal make do with Toure and Cygan/Djourou.

Any news on Yaya Toure? If that works out can we get the third brother???:p

Actually having just looked at the fixture list there's no really tough games for the first month...Villa, City, Boro.

Then Utd, anyone know if Cygan is expected back by then.

Also during a month between mid nov-mid dec its liverpool, newcastle, bolton, fulham, spurs, chelsea, :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

That's when Arsenal are usually at their strongest, so hopefully things should go well.

Totally, a clean sweep till then and then if we can pull about 4 wins out of those 6 games, Arsenal would be in a great position come christmas.

November has always been our worst time, the time we went unbeaten was the only time we had a decent october-november.

November last season was excellent for us. Shame about the rest of the season!

Rumours are circulating that Fran Merida will play for the reserves against Borehamwood tonight, while the seniors take on Alkmaar in Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Reyes seems to really want out to Madrid, but has anybody heard anything on the Real Madrid side that they actually want to sign him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

A little off topic, but i'm in london for the Villa game anyone know where i could get a ticket? Tried the website but they were all sold out, anyone experiences of getting tickets for the games?

• Advertisement

Re: Reyes, arseblogger summed it up pretty much perfectly today:
    What can you say? Obviously he’s unhappy in England and has been for some time. Is it worth keeping a player who so badly wants to be somewhere else and at this stage no hastily published denials on arsenal.con are going to paper over the very obvious cracks.

The main problem is how close it is to the start of the season and that his versatility is important in our squad right now because we’re quite threadbare. However, he’s got a contract until 2010 so it will have to be a healthy offer for us to sell.

If the manager used the money from his sale to replace him with quality I wouldn’t have any problem with him going. Like I’ve said previously I really like José but he’s just never going to settle in England and we have to face that fact. What worries me is the possibility that we’ll sell him and replace him with a 16 year old Ugandan who played in the French 3rd division.
    He played quite well tonight I thought but it doesn't look like he's ever going to be used as a striker on a regular basis and the wing he doesn't cut it if there is to a serious title challenge any time soon. On the wing you still get superb dead-balls, high work rate, some nice touches and the odd great long range pass, but you also get far too many backward passes and losses of possession. If that is to be his lot, then I'd rather he was sold. I like the guy and would like to see him realise his potential.

And yet, this has just cropped up on Arsenal.com:
    Jose Antonio Reyes has once again denied that he is looking to move to Real Madrid.

Over the weekend, the Arsenal striker had to refute reports that he was after a transfer to the Bernabeu club. The story resurfaced in the media this morning.

“I did not say these words,” said Reyes in response. “I’ll tell you once again, I am happy at Arsenal and I am looking forward to the coming campaign. We have a new stadium this season and we are pushing for honours in all competitions. I do not want to leave Arsenal."
    He looked a bit frustrated tonight but very happy when Gilberto scored from his free-kick delivery.

The friendly itself against AZ Alkmaar finished 3-0. Goals from Gilberto, Adebayor and Van Persie (penalty).

Almunia (Poom 72), Eboue, Toure, Djourou (Cygan 72), Fabregas, Flamini (Hoyte 46), Gilberto (Song 72), Hleb, Reyes (Aliadiere 72), Robin Van Persie (Traore 85), Adebayor (Randall 85).

Decent performance from pretty much everyone who played. I was surprised by Aliadiere, he came on for Reyes and played most of the game on the left flank, and did very well. Some great running with and without the ball, very direct and very effective. If he can continue in that vein he may not be finished at Arsenal just yet.

Hoyte looked good when he came on too. I'm starting to think that between himself, Clichy, Flamini and Traore, Cole won't be that badly missed. Obviously none of them are at his level, but for the money involved, it's an easy downgrade to swallow.

Also, I've been hearing rumours that Alex Song has actually turned into a footballer over the summer, and it looks like they may not be wrong. He looked pretty good in pre-season last year too, mind. Maybe it's the nerves.

Oh, and Fran Merida was in the squad for the reserves' trip to Borehamwood tonight. Very pleased! :)

I keep hearing that about song, maybe wenger is'nt going senile after all. could be the players nerves as well, jitters from last year. maybe he's got confidence now. Then again it has been against mickey mouse teams.

As for reyes i said it on arseblog, if he goes to spain i gurantee he'll be a hit there. he singlehandedly tore madrid apart for seville before he signed for us.

The kids (and they really were kids - I think the average age of the midfield was under 16), beat Boreham Wood 4-0 tonight. 2 goals for Lupoli who was MOM and goals for debutants Fran Merida and Nacer Barazite (signed from NEC recently).

Ryan Garry played (at CB) too which is nice.

Not many rumours running in the papers at the moment!
    William Gallas will snub Chelsea's £80,000-a-week deal and move across London to Arsenal. (News of the World)

The Gunners will add to their attacking options with the £16m capture of Marseille's wantaway international winger Franck Ribery. (The People)

Arsene Wenger will raise the necessary funds by off-loading Jose Antonio Reyes. The winger will join Real Madrid for £16m this week. (The People)

Lens' £4m-rated midfielder Alou Diarra has also caught Arsenal's eye. (NotW)

Arsenal have made enquiries about Luca Toni, who has also interested Newcastle and Manchester United. (Sunday Express)
    I'd like Diarra and Gallas, don't like the sound of the other stories though.

Not many rumours running in the papers at the moment!

I'd like Diarra and Gallas, don't like the sound of the other stories though.
    Arsenal would never buy Luca Toni, load a bull imo. I've never seen THIS Diarra play, how many is there :o?

Gangsta wrote:
    Arsenal would never buy Luca Toni, load a bull imo. I've never seen THIS Diarra play, how many is there :o?

Theres chelsea's diarra. Lens diarra and Lyons big malian powerhouse Mamadou Diarra who i would love to see at Arsenal.

Think arsenal should break the bank to sign him (mamadou) however it looks as if hes off to join 'the circus' (Real Madrid)

I don't really think so, with capello I'd say they're going to get their act together.

I don't really think so, with capello I'd say they're going to get their act together.

they'll be a good team but i think there is too many dopes involved in the running of club for the long term. they had a great manager in del bosque and he was sacked (after winning CL twice i might add).

I think we're fine for forwards. Ribery meh!, i reckon they should try and have a go for Robinho if madrid want reyes and what the hell happened to yaya.

• Advertisement

I think we're fine for forwards. Ribery meh!, i reckon they should try and have a go for Robinho if madrid want reyes and what the hell happened to yaya.

I think young bendtner should have been given a run in the team this term. AW seems to think hes better then big Zigic who was linked with the club.

Maybe Song could be the answer to the midfield muscleman with regards to Yaya and thats why that has died down. Alot of it is agent talk anyway. As well as the forwards we have dont forget we have the young mexican carlos vela on loan with salamanca and he can be played from 2007. Gallas i wouldnt say no to. plenty of Premiership experience. Would be harsh on Senderos or one of the full backs though and i couldnt see him 'crossing the road' to sit on the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Gallas would only move if he was to be played at centre back, and Arsenal's defensive priority - in the long term - should be the left back position, assuming Cole leaves. I know Senderos is injured atm, but him and Touré are good enough to comprise Arsenal's central defense for years to come - you should really just be signing a replacement centre back and a long-term left winger imho.

Gallas made it clear last night on french tv, he's not interested in england or spain; a pity.

Coles included in the champs league squad, does'nt mean he'll play but it will force the blue ones to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It would have made the premiership far more interesting

Gallas at Arsenal, strengthen the defence big time

Liverpool with a massive, strong and sturdy squad

Man Utd with Carrick, and another possible two signings (senna and ???)

Chelsea releasing Crespo (down to 2 decent strikers), loosing Gallas and hoping Ballack and Shevy settle and link up quickly

I still think Arsenal need to purchase more, especially in the back line. It just seems to be without a backbone...

Gallas made it clear last night on french tv, he's not interested in england or spain; a pity.

Coles included in the champs league squad, does'nt mean he'll play but it will force the blue ones to move.
    where else? Italy? Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Looks like Arsenal have nabbed another young starlet. Fran Merida has supposedly joined.
    Cant find any other news on this though.

my 1000th post. :)

• Advertisement

Roddy23 wrote:
    Looks like Arsenal have nabbed another young starlet. Fran Merida has supposedly joined.
    Cant find any other news on this though.

my 1000th post. :)
    Read up! :p Nacer Barazite was also signed.

Looks like there is going to be some serious movement over the next few days.

OK, so great game this evening, really pleased with it.

Anyway, the speculation today. I realise that a lot will be just speculation and never any more but I can't deny it sounds good.

Firstly I'm not sure if I believe Gallas will go. Chelsea can afford to leave him rot and despite Mourhino saying he'd never keep an unhappy player I think he'd rather do that then give him to Arsenal, plus Gallas stated his deisre for Spain or France I think.

anyway IF the summer managed to be:

Out: Campbell, Pires, Cole, Reyes(as said prev here, no proba with reyes but he's not happy, sometimes it just doesn't happen)

In: Rosicky, Gallas, Ribery

Balance: plus 15-20 million or so, assuming that one reyes = one ribery and Chelsea get milked for Cole.

I seriously think that that situation could be one of the best transfer seasons by Wenger, even with his standards.

Get rid of two unhappy and two 'maybe not over the hill but approaching it' players, replace with excellent young players and make a killing.

Obviously there's been other signings as well but I'm mainly talking about those that you'd expect to go straight to the first team or thereabouts.

That would be some off season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kinda going off topic here but I was reading about Ribery today an it makes me more confident that McGeady can go on to become a star. Ribery spent 3 seasons in the 3rd division in France with 3 different club before a move to Metz and then Galatasaray and then Marseille where he only really made his name. I believe McGeady can be at least as good as Ribery in 3 years time. Not a chance of getting £13m for him though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

funny thing about reyes is he keeps trying to tell Real Madrid to sign him. who does he think he is? Pele or somethin? I dont think he is good enough to play there at all. talk about up his own ass

Madrid have never stated an interest, but I don't think he'd be putting himself out there unless he thought there was a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

PHB wrote:
    Madrid have never stated an interest, but I don't think he'd be putting himself out there unless he thought there was a chance.

There was at least one presedential candidate who stated he was one of their main targets, I have no idea if the guy who ended up winning was after him at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Players can now just use the media to force a transfer thur. You can be sure his agent or someone close t Reyes has talked to madrid already.

If he wants to go then get rid but make sure they get a decent amount for him.

Not sure about Ribery though ? Is he really that good ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I thought Ribery was a tidy enough midfielder, well, from what I saw of him playing for France in the World Cup, I don't feel he'd enhance the Arsenal midfield to be frank. I think what Arsenal need is a goalkeeper and a decent right back, I also feel they should have snapped up Andy Johnson from Crystal Palace as he would have been, in my opinion, the perfect foil for Henry.. oh well, I guess we'll just have to make do with the 'talents' of Adebayor instead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I assume you mean a decent left back? Eboue and Lauren=wealth of riches at right back, and Touré can play there. I think Arsenal's squad is looking pretty good at the moment, and that's coming from a United fan. Llungberg, Gilberto, Fabregas, Hleb and Rosicky are 5 quality midfielders, and there seem to be some promising talents emerging, Diaby in particular. Up front, I really like Van Persie and obviously Henry, and Reyes is a fine backup if he stays. Adebayor is fairly crap but again, there's a few talents emerging there too (well, Theo).

The only place I see a long-term problem is Lehmann, but that needn't be this summer's concern. Clichy will be a great left back, Touré and Senderos will be a great central defense and Eboue will be a great right back. I think you'll lack the strength in depth to achieve much this season (especially if Reyes leaves), but I reckon this team will be as good as the double-winning team before Henry begins to decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Was well impressed with Abedayor the other night and on other occasions ive seen him. He could well become important for Arsenal when trying to break down tough, stubborn defences.

He's an extra option too, he's good in the air, which is something always thought we lacked up forward under wenger.

Arsenal are weak in defense at the start of the season with the injuries they have, I'm still shocked Wenger hasn't brought in some replacements, maybe he's waiting to see what happens with Cole.

The only position where I think Arsenal are seriously lacking is in goal, Almunia is not a good enough back-up to Lehmann. Other areas can look a little light but there are very promising youngsters coming through all over the place who may make the step up. The question is it worth bringing in established quality in the hope that they will lift Arsenal up to a level to challenge Chelsea when it will likely stifle the younger players at the club? We’ve been making quite a few transfer coups with young stars over the past few years and I think part of the reason they are coming to Arsenal in the first place is because they think they’ll get the chance to play here (Fabregas, Senderos, Walcott, Vela, Merida etc). Long term I think (and hope) that the growing pains the team is having recently will pay off.

I assume you mean a decent left back? Eboue and Lauren=wealth of riches at right back, and Touré can play there.
    No, I think he means RB, at least I recall having an argument with someone who felt Arsenal were weak at RB, and considering he thinks Arsenal should have signed Andy Johnson, this is probably him...

Lauren is not a great RB but he is underrated and a consistent performer, Eboue is a little naive sometimes but is outstanding going forward, Kerrea Gilbert is a very good all-rounder (at loan at Cardiff at the mo), and then there's Hoyte and Toure who you mentioned that can play there. So frankly, I think the position is OK. Sure, Arsenal could try and throw money at a 'World Class' RB to improve the team, but you could say that about most of the 11 positions in the Arsenal team :rolleyes:

sorry guys, off transfer talk for a min but a question.

What's Arsenals starting defence for people taking into account the injury to Senderos and Clichy and impending departure of Cole?

Pepe, I saw on the predictins page you have high hopes for Dijourou. Do you think he'll start ahead of Cygan??

I'd go

Eboue/Toure/Cygan/Flamini but not sure what Wenger will do. I wouldn't be worried about including Dijourou though as he's good and his inexperience will be aountered by the fact that we're gonna score an awful lot of goals this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement