Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wenger blasts Galvasean! :eek:
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=491487&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Wenger+-+Eboue%27s+critics+are+wide+of+the+mark

edit: Barcelona have said they are willing to let Deco go in the summer. Arsenal wanted to sign him about 2/3 years ago. I doubt they'd be too interested now considering his injury proneness. Although if the price was right...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wenger blasts Galvasean! :eek:
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=491487&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Wenger+-+Eboue%27s+critics+are+wide+of+the+mark

edit: Barcelona have said they are willing to let Deco go in the summer. Arsenal wanted to sign him about 2/3 years ago. I doubt they'd be too interested now considering his injury proneness. Although if the price was right...

Much too lightweight for the prem. I always thought he was overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Poor Ray Parlour :eek:
    I bet he can't sleep since he read that article
    I love Aw but I have to disagree with him on this one Theo should take that position next year with Eboue as back up for both RB and RMF (I want him to leave but I don't think he will)
    He is about the only Arsenal player that when my Man U/ Liverpool friends slag him, I don't defend him

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Razor must be horrified to read Wenger's comments about Eboue.

Time for a shameless plug: I've created a new Arsenal blog. Link is in my signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Could not believe he mentioned Razor and that plank in the same sentence. Had to laugh at his comments regarding Vela as well. He said something along the lines of "he's been playing on the left, but he needs to play through the middle. He's a striker, the same as Eduardo". Perchance is that the same Eduardo that he played out of position on the left wing during the season??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

keano_afc wrote: »
    Could not believe he mentioned Razor and that plank in the same sentence. Had to laugh at his comments regarding Vela as well. He said something along the lines of "he's been playing on the left, but he needs to play through the middle. He's a striker, the same as Eduardo". Perchance is that the same Eduardo that he played out of position on the left wing during the season??

The comparison with Parlour was in relation to a question he was asked at the shareholders meeting when somone had a go at Eboue and his lack of goals but I do agree, Ray Parlour was a great player for Arsenal imo, he always gave 110% in every match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I want Arsenal to get rid of Eboue.

His performances are often substandard, but I could forgive that. I want him to go because he's a dirty player and a diving cheat.

I don't think many would disagree. I cringe every time I see him on the teamsheet.

Linked to Nasri yesterday. Hleb replacement perhaps?

PDN wrote: »

His performances are often substandard, but I could forgive that. I want him to go because he's a dirty player and a diving cheat.

Seconded.

I see in another thread Cesc is getting his own TV show. There goes my Monday evenings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I see in another thread Cesc is getting his own TV show. There goes my Monday evenings...

Nah don't worry its only a one off thing.

PDN wrote: »

Don't agree, would like to hang onto him as cover for right back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Don't agree, would like to hang onto him as cover for right back.

agree. he shouldn't be starting as much as he's done this season, but he's a decent squad player to have.

Id rather Djourou as cover for rightback. As for right wing I'd prioritise a few ahead of him.
    Walcott
    Rosicky
    Hleb
    Randall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Rosicky is a left winger/playmaker.

He's still better than Eboue on the right.

• Advertisement

Of course I don't doubt that, but thats rather a measure of how ****e Eboue is.

Eboue is one of the worst Arsenal players I can ever recall, he has no end product, he's a diving ****e, he's a lazy ****er who complains to his teammates when he loses the ball... He's fully useless.

cson wrote: »
    Of course I don't doubt that, but thats rather a measure of how ****e Eboue is.

Eboue is one of the worst Arsenal players I can ever recall, he has no end product, he's a diving ****e, he's a lazy ****er who complains to his teammates when he loses the ball... He's fully useless.

Yep, thats why I put Rosicky out of position. Id rather him there to Eboue. Same for Randall, who I don't think is ready for first team football yet, but I'd prefer him to Eboue if a gun was put to my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Clichy's not in the French squad. Can't believe that. Oh well, means he'll actually be fit when next season starts.

Did Sagna make the France squad or did they not risk him due to injury?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nasri rumoured to be on his way from OM. Treat him nice and give this one a contract!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭GBX

So do you think Mathieu Flamini will regret his decision to join AC Milan now with them only finishing 5th in the Siere A today?

Ben Arfa and Nasri would be great. Not getting my hopes up though.

Clichy's not in the French squad. Can't believe that. Oh well, means he'll actually be fit when next season starts.

Brilliant news :D

GBX wrote: »
    So do you think Mathieu Flamini will regret his decision to join AC Milan now with them only finishing 5th in the Siere A today?

That depends, are they only in the UEFA Cup now?

That depends, are they only in the UEFA Cup now?

Yup, Wafer Cup time for Flattuso and Gattuso.

I guess Milan would be one of the favourites for the UEFA Cup, so i guess Flamini may have a better chance of winning silverware next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Did Sagna make the France squad or did they not risk him due to injury?

Completely forgot about Sagna. He didn't make it either. Good news again then.

Thats mad. Two of the best full backs in the game. Ah well, its all good, they'll be fit next season fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

From F365:

Roma midfielder Alberto Aquilani is in talks with Arsenal, according to the player's agent.

The 23-year-old, capped four times by Italy and valued at around £12m, has been reported to be on Arsene Wenger's short-list of possible replacements for the Milan-bound Mathieu Flamini along with Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry and Manchester City youngster Michael Johnson.

Those reports looked well founded after Aquilani's agent, Vincenzo Morabito, told Italia Uno: "Aquilani is speaking to Arsenal. We will have to see if Roma will be able to match his demands."

I did a quick poll in the office a few weeks back and nobody had heard of Patrice Evra and only one had a vague recollection of seeing Sagna one time. Dunno if my office is a fair reflection of France in general, but there seems to be quite a few French players who left before they were famous and who are overlooked for the national team. And then they persist with the frankly piss-poor Eric Abidal or whoever's star sign best matches Franck Ribéry's.

• Advertisement

Aquilani was linked with us last season too.

I suppose you can look at it this way. Clichy hasn't much international experience so I suppose they're playing it safe there. As for Sagna, he was virtually unknown before this season and picked up an injury. I can see why they didn't risk him.
    Still feel bad for the guys though. I'm sure by the next World Cup they'll be indispensable international players. On the plus side, they wont be jaded when the new season kicks off.

I think the choice of squad players for international competitions is as much about public demand as player quality - though they're both linked.

It'd be very tough for a manger to dislodge permanent fixtures like Sagnol and Abidal for players who have had one great, yet trophyless, season.

Abidal did well at Lyon and now plays for Barca so he really has to remove himself from that position by being sh*t as opposed to the manager making a brave choice.

Clichy and Evra have had similar seasons but Evra's has been more successful(trophy-wise) and the Man U defence conceeded fewer so he'll get the nod as back up. Gallas can also play there so there's no need for someone else.

Sagna was probably very close to being in the squad.

and why do france always have such savage full backs?

cson wrote: »
    Yup, Wafer Cup time for Flattuso and Gattuso.
    http://www.oleole.com/blogs/blog-my-arse/posts/sorry-mathieu
    I did a quick poll in the office a few weeks back and nobody had heard of Patrice Evra and only one had a vague recollection of seeing Sagna one time. Dunno if my office is a fair reflection of France in general, but there seems to be quite a few French players who left before they were famous and who are overlooked for the national team. And then they persist with the frankly piss-poor Eric Abidal or whoever's star sign best matches Franck Ribéry's.
    Have they heard of Pele or Maradona by any chance? :p

I don’t think Sagna or Clichy’s omission or Evra being behind Abidal has anything to do with them leaving France too early – it’s just that Domenech is an imbecile. Sagna was RB of the year in France last season, so he was hardly unknown as Galvasean suggested. Likewise Evra was awesome for Monaco as far back as their CL run to the final in 2003/04.

Statistics round up on the official site:

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=491549&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Season+Review:+Stats+show+big+step+in+the+right+direction

It would appear we have improved in every way since last season. Most notably our league top scorer Adebayor got 24, as opposed to last season it was RvP with 11.

Have they heard of Pele or Maradona by any chance? :p

Neither of them played for Marseille (unless you count Abédi Pele), so it's unlikely :)

Pickarooney, as you're in Marseille perhaps you can help - what's the story with Nasri?

Over the last 24 hours it seems that La Provence has run two stories about him coming to Arsenal - making it appear to be a done deal.

http://www.laprovence.com/articles/2008/05/19/452752-FRANCE-cisse-comme-nasri.php

That's the link I'm talking about. I think. My french is a tadge rusty!

• Advertisement

OK, since I went whole hog with Sky(cough- d-box - cough!!) I haven't been forced to watch the French league on Setanta as much and haven't seen that much of Nasri.

Having looked at his youtube stuff (which is obviously going to hold him in a positive light), I can safely say I'd **** my pants (with joy) if we signed him.

Aquilani, I have seen more of and he looks great.

They'd be two signings I'd be overjoyed with. One good lump of a central defender and it'd be a great off season for the Arsenal.

Edited to include: I'm pessimistic though as if they were coming, in true Wenger style we'd probably know nothing about it

Usually if a player is linked with Arsenal Wenger doesn't sign them. He generally just appears with someone else totally out of left field.

Nasri's played his last game for Marseille and Arsenal is the most obvious destination. Cissé could well be on his way back to England (not so sure myself). Marseille loses their biggest star every year, so it was always on the cards, to the extent that some fans were hoping he wouldn't come back too soon from injury and stay out of the limelight. Unless Arsenal have already signed him, though, it's a little early to speculate as a lot of clubs would want him and the transfer window has only just begun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BBC are carrying the Nasri story today. i was sceptical at first about those rumours, but now they've been promoted from the gossip column suggests they have some credibility. I for one would love to see nasri at the club, most assists in serie A with Juventus in 2015 :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think this guy could be the difference we are looking for.

• Advertisement

Hope his wife is ok,would be interesting to see Tony back at the club.

http://goonertalk.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/pat-rice-set-to-leave-adams-to-replace-him/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

on the guardian podcast yesterday they said there were strong rumours
    about a possible etoo and yaya swap for adebayor.... wouldnt believe it personally but who knows.

also i found it interesting that wenger confirmed carlos vela will be very much part of his plans next season, ive only seen clips of him in la liga and he still seems a little raw, nowhere near ready to fill in for the presumably departing hleb.

As much as I'd love to get Tony on board, I hope Pat isn't having serious trouble. He is a great assistant manager and a loyal Arsenal servant.

As much as I'd love to get Tony on board, I hope Pat isn't having serious trouble. He is a great assistant manager and a loyal Arsenal servant.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

on the guardian podcast yesterday they said there were strong rumours
    about a possible etoo and yaya swap for adebayor.... wouldnt believe it personally but who knows.

Thats crazy...
    Would love to see Yaya come to Arsenal, massive fan of him, but I could never see Barca offering a deal like this?
    Surely Ade would only be worth one..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement