Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If this is one of our signings then we wont get a "winger" type player.
    Dont know what to make of Nasri. I expect him to take a while to bed down.

Is he better then ben arfa?

DM and CB next please!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

By most accounts Nasri is a better player than Ben Arfa. Anyway, skysports and l'equipe are claiming that he is having his medical today so official confirmation on the deal should be imminent.

Also:
    Arsenal are closing in on a triple French swoop with Samir Nasri, Clement Chantome and Francis Coquelin all understood to be on the verge of moving to North London.
    The latter two are defensive midfielders, aged 20 and 17 respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Great early signing for Arse if it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Agreed, if this goes through it's an absolutely brilliant signing. The boy has limitless potential and there's nowhere better to realise that potential than at Arsenal imo. There's a lot of speculation that this means that Hleb's on his way, and tbh I wouldn't be too bothered by that - I rate Nasri higher at this point than the Belarussian, I personally reckon he's got more to his game.

We'll see anyway. Obviously I don't wanna go too overboard, but I'd be over-the-moon with this. Really tasty player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Really tasty player.

seen much of him then? what's his style like and where wouldhe fit into the current lineup? a direct swap for Hleb?

seen much of him then? what's his style like and where wouldhe fit into the current lineup? a direct swap for Hleb?
    Much more direct than Hleb, pacier and with a much better shot on him. Not necessarily a better eye for goal tho (yet) cos he's only netted something like 10 times in 100 appearances for Marseilles - not a great return, it must be admitted. He has a similar eye for a through-ball to Hleb, and fleet-footed skills ditto.

Altho he has a comparable frame to Hleb (kinda scrawny, basically) he seems to me to be much stronger than Hleb. The tackling in the EPL is probably tougher than France - Hleb was one of the most fouled players in England last term - but nonetheless the kid's only 20 so he'll probably bulk up and improve. He has excellent delivery from set-pieces, he's pretty two-footed... The quality is there, unquestionably.

In terms of position... Like Hleb and Rosicky he's a central attacking midfielder but it's fairly obvious that like them he'd be played out wide at Arsenal.

It might take Samir a while to adapt to the Premiership, ala Pires and Henry, but he is going to be one helluva player. Mark my words.

EDIT: Forgot to point out, what I'm basing all this on is from having watched the Championnat highlights packages on Setanta Sports all season, so I haven't seen a full 90-minute live game of Marseilles in action other than during their brief Champion's League sojourn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Did Nasri make the French squad for Euro 2008? Might want to see him in action.

Looks like Wenger is starting another French revolution. I seem to recall us winning the league when he last did that :)

Galvasean wrote: »
    He did indeed. In fact, like Eduardo and Freddie Ljungberg, it's more than likely that it's Nasri's international form that made Wenger take notice rather than his club performances; Nasri's scored twice in 7 games for France, and every time he's made a real difference. On his debut against he set up Benzema for a 1-0 win, and scored the winner against Georgia in another 1-0 win - had France not got that win they might not have even qualified.

He probably won't start for France... But with the utterly mental Domenech you never know.

Myles at ANR says:

Nasri is spiky, competitive, two-footed, a flair player with an edge. He’s quite stocky, a very good dribbler, stronger on his right foot than his left. But he can shoot with his left.

As a footballer, Nasri is a lot better than Malouda or Quaresma or Hleb or Kranjcar, and more of a team player than Ben Arfa, the Lyon winger who is not in their team much these days.

He is better than Hleb because he is more direct. With Nasri, there would be more end product. He's not scared to shoot and not scared to miss. And the sale of Hleb would pay for him. And he has played under pressure at a big club, Marseilles, in front of demanding crowds.

This Chantome chap is supposed to be quite similar in style to Flamini... wouldn't be surprised if he came too.

• Advertisement

Ah, boll0cks. Whenever Myles Palmer says anything like that about a player you know he's just jinxed for life. Oh well - that's Nasri rendered sh*t then...

Remember when we signed Jeffers? Myles made this utterly idiotic post in which he said Arsenal "will win their first 15 games and Jeffers will score [oooh, loads - can't remember the exact total]"...:rolleyes:

Pity, I was really looking forward to this signing too... Thanks a lot Myles!:mad:

Myles-bashing is so 2007!

Much more direct than Hleb...

quality post arbeit. thanks. makes me positively excited at the prospect of him playing prem football next season. let's hope a deal is done soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Looks like Wenger is starting another French revolution. I seem to recall us winning the league when he last did that :)

And the World Cup ;)

First arrival of the summer confirmed: Carlos Vela granted work permit.

He could be a welcome surprise boost to the squad next season, as a lot of people seem to be completely discounting him.

First arrival of the summer confirmed: Carlos Vela granted work permit.

He could be a welcome surprise boost to the squad next season, as a lot of people seem to be completely discounting him.

excellent stuff. i know Wenger sees him as a striker, but hopefully he can an add a viable option for the left wing as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nasri seems to be put on hold. Lyon, seems to have put a bid in. Agent talk more like it.

It appears we've also completed a deal for Francis Coquelin. He is a small, 17 year old French defensive midfielder and he comes from a third division French side on a free transfer.

No, I didn't make that up. I realise it sounds like a Wenger piss-take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

It appears we've also completed a deal for Francis Coquelin. He is a small, 17 year old French defensive midfielder and he comes from a third division French side on a free transfer.

No, I didn't make that up. I realise it sounds like a Wenger piss-take.
    It does sound like a wind-up. But Clichy came from the French third division for 250K so I'm always happy to wait and see with these deals - if he turns out to be anywhere near as successful, I'll be a happy gooner.

• Advertisement

Regarding Nasri - the French papers are under the impression the agent talk is BS and that the deal is done, but can't be announced until Monday for whatever reason. Either way, I guess we have to wait!

Regarding Nasri - the French papers are under the impression the agent talk is BS and that the deal is done, but can't be announced until Monday for whatever reason. Either way, I guess we have to wait!

bloody agents. should all be hung drawn and quartered. what idiot in their right mind would pass up the chance to work with Wenger?

I wonder do these low key 17 year old signings count towards Wenger's promised '2or3' signings or does he mean 2 or 3 big(ish) signings?

I wonder do these low key 17 year old signings count towards Wenger's promised '2or3' signings or does he mean 2 or 3 big(ish) signings?
    I'd be very surprised if they counted - I think Wenger's fairly clearly been talking about 'straight into the first team squad' signings, rather than future potential.

Nah, they don't. He makes about 4 or 5 youth signings every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just thinking of being a 17 year old playing in the third division somewhere and getting the call from Wenger - you'd be pretty chuffed and more than a little excited all summer.

• Advertisement

Guess why they chose Wenger for that Nike ad.

Sorry if someone posted this already, but official confirmation that Vela will play for us next season.
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=491726&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Mexican+striker+Vela+granted+a+work+permit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1766_3604617,00.html

Worst kept secret in football finally announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hope it's not to Barca lads... The last thing we need is another midfielder that wants to walk the ball into the back of the neck... Arsenal fans will understand my pain, you guys have the same problem sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

eZe^ wrote: »
    sometimes!

Sometimes? Understatement of the week. To be honest I hope Hleb ****s off ASAP and Arsenal gets a nice bit of money for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I doubt Arsenal will get a decent fee for him. Everybody knows he's leaving this summer no matter what happens, and his contract is also unprotected so if Arsenal are holding out for a large fee then he could start threatening to buy it out again.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Sometimes? Understatement of the week. To be honest I hope Hleb ****s off ASAP and Arsenal gets a nice bit of money for him.

Ok, I was just being safe just incase you Gooners took offense to my statement and started attacking me... You'll be a better team without him, however, thats only if you can replace him with a Diego/ Deco style midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

A Pires style midfielder is needed. What an utter legend.

Speaking of replacing Hleb, any more news on Nasri?

Speaking of replacing Hleb, any more news on Nasri?

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=710200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I hope to christ they just come out tomorrow and announce it if he's being signed. Can't stand this whole dragging out business. I also fear that if Nasri does come in, that it'll be the only signing on the creative front with him replacing Hleb. Vela coming in as the reason for not adding further on the wings, which would be a disappointment imo.

Then we still need to add to the defense and probably a Flamini replacement, I'm not to pushed about a new goalie or striker despite the ambitious overhaul some people are looking for.

If Hleb goes I'd say Wenger will sign another attacking midfield player. He said a few weeks ago that he was looking to bring in another attacking midfielder and a defender, I don't think he meant it as a replacement for Hleb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Last year was a really bad year with injuries to vital players. I think if either of Rosicky or Van Persie had of had a full season we would have one trophies.

Why do you think that Wenger did not put eboue in at right back when Sanga was injured? Instead moving Toure out to full back and keeping Senderos in.

I personnaly do not think senderos can ever challenge for a first team spot, I think he gets intimidated and makes far too many mistakes. I would like to see an older experienced player as your back up in this situation, the way Bould used to be there for adams and keown. It is great to have new blood coming through, but at important times of the year and in big games, I just do not see the advantage in taking risks with young players.
    My opinion would be to let senderos go, bring walcott into the first team, and sign a strong defensive midfielder. I also think we need a top class center half. I have big worries about Gallas's commitment. He seemed to make half hearted attempts to put himself between ball and goal last year.

If only we had of got mascherano instead of Liverpool, I think he would be the perfect foil for Fabregas. I am not too worried about Flamini going, I think he did cover a lot of ground, but I do not thing his contribution matched his work rate. his assists, goals and tackling a little short in my opinion.

Hopefully Rosicky and Van persie will come through Euro2008 without injury.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hopefully Rosicky and Van persie will come through Euro2008 without injury.

dont think Rosicky is even going so you should be fine on that one. Hope Van Persie stays fit alright and if he survives the Euro's you will have him rareing to go from day 1 not slightly off form as hes only returning from injury as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

True enough, Rosicky is out, good for arsenal.

Wonder what the chances of David villa coming are? or even benzema. Thats the kind of quality i would like to see linked.

Wonder what the chances of David villa coming are? or even benzema. Thats the kind of quality i would like to see linked.

slim to nil i'd imagine. I don't think Wenger would even bother considering the price tags that will be attached to them... then again, if Benzema were to decide to leave France Wenger might well be the most likely to convince him to. still, it's all far-fetched thinking imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Normally i don't comment on other players\managers on this thread, but seriously WTF!!!!
    RAFA wrote:
    They started spending big money and Arsenal were also spending big money on young players. We are trying to do the same but because they (Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal) are continuing to spend big money, it makes it more difficult to catch up.

They bought Torres with Everquest credits, and got Pennant for a reduced fee in exchange for community service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Normally i don't comment on other players\managers on this thread, but seriously WTF!!!!
    Rafa has gone nuts.

He strikes me as more of a Zoo man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

He strikes me as more of a Zoo man.

On form today Pepe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Regardless of who Arsene signs, our squad isn't going to be much bigger than last years. I think he needed to ADD 2-3 players to the current squad not just replace players that are leaving.

Here's to looking forward to another season of "building for next season"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Well you've got to remember that historically alot of arsenal's key men have been young players coming thru. Remember when Viera wasn't replaced and Fabregas came through?

If Walcott, Diaby, Bentner and Denilson step up to the plate and can play 30 games consistantly, that's a stronger squad right there.

Add 2-3 players to that to replace the ones leaving and you've got a squad to challenge again.

Arsenal were very unlucky with injuries last season though, so maybe a bit more strength in depth is called for alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

the only thing i would say about ur viera being replaced by fabulous is that he still hasnt won anything with arsenal!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement