Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

mormank wrote: »
    the only thing i would say about ur viera being replaced by fabulous is that he still hasnt won anything with arsenal!!!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mormank wrote: »
    the only thing i would say about ur viera being replaced by fabulous is that he still hasnt won anything with arsenal!!!

he has an FA cup medal from 2005 iirc. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

PSI wrote: »
    Arsenal were very unlucky with injuries last season though, so maybe a bit more strength in depth is called for alright.
    Depends what level of injuries you want to cover for - while Chelsea pretty much aim to have cover for a full-on influenza epidemic across their first 11, I'm not sure Arsenal need that... I think it's reasonable to just buy/develop the right players for a balanced squad and hope that you don't get unlucky (key word) to the same extent again.

I agree with the rest of what you're saying though - I'd be looking for Denilson and Diaby especially to play bigger roles this year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Agreed. Wenger needs to seriously consider giving Diaby a bigger role this season, if he can’t do that then why keep him? He’s 22 now. Personally I’d like to see him replace Fabregas in some of the easier games.

I don’t have any concerns about Denilson’s future though, in my opinion it is only a matter of time before he becomes a first team regular. He’s class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Diaby in the centre, it baffled me everytime i saw him out on the wings. Denislon thought he went off the boil for a bit there last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Denislon thought he went off the boil for a bit there last season.

Thats mainly due to being injured for a good while. Hope he can show us more of his ability next year, along with others coming up from the reserves such as Barazite, Gibbs, Randall etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Denilson missed 3 months with a injury he recieved at that horrible game against the spuds.

IMO neither Denilson or Diaby are good enough to replace the flamster. Neither players have the industry that he has. Diaby got a rough time playing out of position on the left flank but remember Cesc didn't set the world on fire either when he made his appearances on the right hand side. Diaby is an attacking minded player, don't let the fact he resembles Vieira make you believe he is similar, he's not.

Denilson is too much like Cesc to get to be in the starting 11 every game.
    We need a midfield dynamo/general or for the
    Matrin Taylor supports out there reading this "a leg breaker"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Beginning to worry about this Nasri deal.

I'm thinking that he might be a starter for France in the Euro Championship.

Is it possible that his agent could be trying to stall it as his transfer fee and wages will skyrocket on the back of a good championship.

I can see it now.

'Nasri will sign, Nasri will sign' ... for the next fortnight.

And then ... 'It's only two weeks to Euro 2008 and he doesn't want any distractions during his preparations ... but he wants to be an Arsenal player'

On another note, Arseblog makes the point about Djourou preffering to play as a holding midfield.

With Diaby, Denilson, Djourou and Song all showing serious potential, do we think that one of them can really step up over the summer and nail the position as Flamini did?

I'm not sure about Diaby, he has the physique but not the agression. I'm still quite hopeful about Denilson though. A lot of people see him as a Fabregas clone but I think he'd be better a bit further back. It'd continue to give us this ultra-mobile midfield that Arsne's always banging on about.

If we can get a good season from Berto and some improvements from the above, do we need a new DMF?

A new DM is low on the list of priorities I feel, for the reasons you've posted. Denilson, Song and Djourou are all natural DMs.

I'm not worried about the Nasri deal. By most accounts all that remains are a few details to be sorted out by Arsenal and OM... the player has agreed terms.

gosplan wrote: »
    Beginning to worry about this Nasri deal.

as am I. had a feeling the press were over reporting it... still, only time will tell. the other positive however is that the papers say there is competition for Hleb, so this might hopefully inflate his price to offset whatever happens with nasri.

On another note, Arseblog makes the point about Djourou preffering to play as a holding midfield.

With Diaby, Denilson, Djourou and Song all showing serious potential, do we think that one of them can really step up over the summer and nail the position as Flamini did?

I'm not sure about Diaby, he has the physique but not the agression. I'm still quite hopeful about Denilson though. A lot of people see him as a Fabregas clone but I think he'd be better a bit further back. It'd continue to give us this ultra-mobile midfield that Arsne's always banging on about.

If we can get a good season from Berto and some improvements from the above, do we need a new DMF?

i think the problem with the midfield position is as much that Wenger doesn't know enough about the young players. I have no doubt that a few of them can step up but i'm not sure if Wenger can give each of them the game time needed without sacrificing on the competitive front. I agree though about Denilson, he seems better starting a little deeper than Fabregas. I think he could be easily converted into the role Flamini did while offer a bit more bite going forward than the Flamster. Diaby i'm not sure about, but i would like to see him get some games next season in an advanced central rol, ideally to rest Fabregas against some of the weaker opposition. I've seen very little of Djourou so i'm not sure where he'd fit in. Same for song, but by and large i've a feeling these players might be too defensive to adaquetly fit into Arsenals style. Wenger doesn't use a holding midfielder in the traditional sense, he requires someone much more dynamic. that's why i'm inclined to favour Denilson...

edit: oh and in other news, Darren Dein is Fabregas' new agent apparently. the tabloids are probably playing it up no end, but still it might be a bit of a cause for concern in the long term. this is the same fellow who got Henry 10 million for his last season...

• Advertisement

Nasri i'm worried that "Them" will table a bid that will blow our bid out of the water if we take any longer. The few games i saw of djorou or Song in midfield were disasters, Song have proven to be pretty good at CB tho.

Ah, I hate it when you guys are right :(

http://www.oleole.com/.../nasri-deal-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Ah crap, looks like arseblogger will be eating his marzipan hat.

Um..
    In truth, I am not happy playing at OM. Instead I have thus decided to pursue my dream. I intend to join the Flying Circus. I want to do the aerial trapeze.

Nothing on the nasri thread on the arseblog forums, so its still on but looking dodgier and dodgier by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So if he doesnt want to join Arsenal, and doesn't want to stay at OM, where does he want to go???

Uh, the Flying Circus. It says right there.

Uh, the Flying Circus. It says right there.

or maybe he wants to go work in the IT industry? many sound prospects there...

Screw them all - We don't need anybody!

Rosicky and RVP fit, Walcott and Vela playing excellently, Gilberto to rediscover form, Denlison to improve dramatically, Senderos to get some consistancy, Eduardo back, No ANC.

The quadruple is as good as ours!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Rosicky and RVP fit, Walcott and Vela playing excellently, Gilberto to rediscover form, Denlison to improve dramatically, Senderos to get some consistancy, Eduardo back, No ANC.

And if we do get unlucky with injuries we can bring in the likes of Vic 'the kitman' Akers and Pat Rice to bolster the squad
    C'MON YOU GOONERS !!!!

just saw on arsenal.com a bit about jay simpson and how he won League One player of the year as an Arsenal loanee... first i'd heard of it. anybody here know anything about him? can anyone see him in the first team anytime soon?

• Advertisement

Simpson will be sold in my opinion.

All our english talent seem to go the same way. go on loan play great then get sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was playing football the other night, and my arsenal supporting mates were having a conversation about Rosicky - apparently he has had a pretty major surgery to replace his knee with a metal one, or something along those lines, and it was a choice of trying the surgery and replacement, or retire from football.

I don't know where they got this info, and I haven't seen anything online myself. Anyone here know anything about it?

Remember hearing something about him and a bionic knee type thing. Don't remember the specifics but that could be it.

Tauren wrote: »
    I was playing football the other night, and my arsenal supporting mates were having a conversation about Rosicky - apparently he has had a pretty major surgery to replace his knee with a metal one, or something along those lines, and it was a choice of trying the surgery and replacement, or retire from football.

I don't know where they got this info, and I haven't seen anything online myself. Anyone here know anything about it?

replace the knee? lol, talk about overblown.

see here
    Tomas Rosicky should be fully fit for the start of next season after undergoing surgery on his troublesome knee injury.

The Arsenal playmaker missed a large part of the second half of the season with the problem and will not feature for the Czech Republic at this summer's Euro 2008 finals.

But after an operation in London on Tuesday, Rosicky has been told that he can return to training in eight to 10 weeks' time.

Titanium anchors

He told his personal website: "I am glad that the true cause of my problems has been found and I hope that I will be fit and could start training as soon as possible."

According to Czech doctor Vladislav Hospodar, who assisted at the surgery, the previous prognosis has been confirmed as a problem where the ligament adjoins to the knee.

During the surgery, the ligament has been stabilised by two small titanium anchors.

"Now it is properly fixed to restore all the functions and after the rehabilitation the problems should be gone," Hospodar said.

bit of metal to stabilize the ligament it seems. hope that solves it.

Feck they'll need adamantium to fix RVP.

ha ha ha class.
    All our english talent seem to go the same way. go on loan play great then get sold.
    Well it is rare for a player to come through that is good enough to play for a top 4 club, and usually those that do don't have enough patience to wait for their chance.

Simpson simply isn't good enough from what I've seen. There are a few others who could make the grade though if they stick around.

and usually those that do don't have enough patience to wait for their chance.

that's a very good point actually. the English players are over-hyped beyond belief, and this seems to filter down to the mentality of a lot of them. they aren't content to learn their trade and think from 18 on they deserve to be starters, and end up making that move too early and falling into obscurity. for all this crap about how there aren't enough top English players, it's not been for lack of opportunity.

I think mentality has alot to do with Wengers decision to let go too, look at Penant(jail sentence etc) and Bentley seems to be a bit of a knob too. Theo seems to have his head on his shoulders and not up his ass like some others. Though connolly would do well but obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bentley seems to be a bit of a knob too

how so?

Didnt Wenger say he wished he had kept Bentley or something to that effect?

Bentley gets a raw deal from most Gooners. Sure he's fairly cocky and outspoken but I think a lot of the stuff he gets a bad rep from is taken out of context, deliberately or not. There's an agenda to cast him as the villain for leaving Arsenal.

The not turning up to the england b or U21(cant remember which one), has eseentially told BB f'off, i'm going elsewhere, also for us Arse fans a few times he's said english player x should leave Arsenal.

He wanted to keep him but Bentley wanted 1st team footie and would'nt wait.

Pepe would'nt blame hiim for leaving, but some of his comments afterwards did'nt endear him to many Arsenal fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thats wat i thought pepe, cheers

I don't think Bentley's a bad guy and agree with the above.

I still don't think he's good enough for Arsenal though. Players like Bentley, Barry and Richards get over-hyped because they're the best English players not at a big 4 club. It's self perpetuating journalism as it also starts the endless transfer rumours.

Richards probably makes the grade as he's young for a defender and can step up but I think the other two are way over-hyped. They’re at their level and it’s not Arsenal’s.

Same thing happened to SWP but when a player like Martin Petrov has a great season we don’t hear much about him moving.

I hope Bentley doesn’t believe his hype too much though. He’s doing a great job at Blackburn and playing all the games. The only big four club that’d take him are Liverpool and I don’t see him being the answer to their wing problems, just another mistaken transfer that will cost him a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just got my membership renewal form this week

After 7 or so long years have finally been upgraded to Silver :)

You can now renew your red membership online also

So more games for me to see next season

• Advertisement

I still don't think he's good enough for Arsenal though. Players like Bentley, Barry and Richards get over-hyped because they're the best English players not at a big 4 club. It's self perpetuating journalism as it also starts the endless transfer rumours.

agreed. he's definitly an easy target for the media, a lot of what he has said has been taken out of context. i do think however he would have ended up a better player had he stayed at Arsenal. he's still very raw at times, but i think Arsene could have polished him up nicely had he left. it's a self perpetuating problem, as good english players become rarer, the media hype the others up and thus begins the downward spiral.

i'd remove richards from the above list though, if he can get a move to a big club within the next 2 years i think he'll end up a world class defender.

I think Bentleys good enough, just wish he'd waited, i could've seen him play this year, if he stayed. He's good at blackburn but i could see him be much better with us. Saw him before as DB10 mkII. I think he would've been a much better player if he'd the patience to stay on a while.

English players don't get me started on the hype and over-pricing. I'd love to see more with us, developing is the only way(and they need the patience to stay on) because we can't afford to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I
    English players don't get me started on the hype and over-pricing. I'd love to see more with us, developing is the only way(and they need the patience to stay on) because we can't afford to buy them.

Bentley would have made a great player for us but lacked patience,Pennant had the potential to be a great player but his attitude is all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Eh, so he's staying now?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_3622831,00.html

Some Arsenal forums are saying the Nasri deal has been gazzumped by Liverpool.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Eh, so he's staying now?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_3622831,00.html

Some Arsenal forums are saying the Nasri deal has been gazzumped by Liverpool.

He likes the noise of London now or maybe a good enough offer has not come in ;)

• Advertisement

If true the agent should be shot. What is about us and our players having the biggest bolloxes for agents. Nasri please no, not after Hamman, kewell and possibly babel.

There are quotes from Nasri saying the deal is 99% done going around now. Chillax!

keano_afc wrote: »

I knew his agent was acting the rogue in all this, trying to get a bigger cut. but if what Hleb is saying is the real truth of it, you'd imagine his agent would be close to fired by now. i don't know what to believe on all this, and i wont for a second expect a conclusion til 00:00:00 1/9/08. there has to be more to play...

if this is the case though, then it looks like Nasri could well be Rosicky's replacement. wouldn't be surprised if Wenger simply tries to get him fit again just to recoup a few yoyos in the next year or so... it's a shame but he's never going to live up to his initial promise is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

After 7 or so long years have finally been upgraded to Silver :)

You lucky *, fair play though, I think this is my 4th membership...so hopefully I'll only need a few more before I get silver!
    OPENROAD wrote: »

I use this website a lot and it seems that he's signed for £13.5m, they were very quick when Sagna signed too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nothing up on the official page yet. i hope its true.

As for Bentley, at his current level of ability I'd say he'd be a rotation player for the Arsenal first team. If he had stayed with us longer and had access to our superior training methods maybe he could have become a better player. However I don't like his constant sniping comments. Every chance he gets he criticizes us. He was always saying Cole should leave Arsenal and now he's on about Walcott too. Ah well, I'm of the opinion that Walcott has the potential to become twice the player he is.

Interesting...number of posts in forum since Saturday:

United 647
    Liverpool 373
    Arsenal 68

No real surprises there, I suppose...is this a good guide for how support may be spread throughout Ireland, or would the Pool be closer to United?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Maybe we just don't talk as much sh*t as they do

Maybe we just don't talk as much sh*t as they do

True, not as many of us either though!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement