Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

€15 would be a good price for Hleb considering the Webster clause is still an option if the club hold out for a large fee, and it's public knowledge that he really wants to go.

What currency are transfers done in does anybody know? €15m is worth a lot more to Arsenal today than it was 12 months ago. Would be the same story with dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

€15 would be a good price for Hleb considering the Webster clause is still an option if the club hold out for a large fee, and it's public knowledge that he really wants to go.

What currency are transfers done in does anybody know? €15m is worth a lot more to Arsenal today than it was 12 months ago. Would be the same story with dollars.

it's usually the sellers currency isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Would like to see some progress on signings soon enough.

Not too worried as our squad(even without flamini and hleb) would still challenge for a time, perhaps all the way if Ronaldo goes and the new Chelsea manager takes some time to settle in.

As usual though, I suspect we'll be the last to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

it's usually the sellers currency isn't it?

I dunno, did Arsenal not get €20m for Vieira? Henry too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Alright lads,

To be honest if The Arsenal sold Hleb I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest, I
    don't rate the guy, very little end product imo.

Ade is a different story tho, still 32 million would be a great bit of business.
    Who do we get to replace him is the question

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Anything over ten million £ Sterling would be good for Helb in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Who do we get to replace him is the question

David Villa
    Samuel Eto'o
    Benzema
    Klaas Jean Huntelaar
    Thierry Henry????

World would be our oyster.

I'd hate to see Ade go, but if an offer of 30million+ came in we'd have to take it. We could sign a striker of his ability for about 20million and have change to strengthen elsewhere.

New kit looks amazing:
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1247520.ece

I like how the Sun see it as an omen that Fabregas won't leave Arsenal. Henry modeled the last away kit. Now he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

gosplan wrote: »
    Would like to see some progress on signings soon enough.

Not too worried as our squad(even without flamini and hleb) would still challenge for a time, perhaps all the way if Ronaldo goes and the new Chelsea manager takes some time to settle in.

I try to avoid posting on other clubs threads as it can easily be inferred as throlling but that is one heck of an optimistic post.

Arsenal had a great season and played some amazing football but how can you not be worried about loosing 3 players that were an integral part of your first 11 last season?

I know that Arsenal have some great young talents hidden away but I very much doubt they have 3 lads ready and waiting to take over from Adebayor, Flamini and Hled.

As Arsenal fans, I imagine ye were all looking to build on last seasons successes by laying out a few quid and signing 2 or 3 quality players that would add to the first 11.

As it stands now, instead of being able to look forward as you would hope, ye will have to first recover from loosing 3 first team players before ye can even start improving the team.

As with Liverpool, it would also seem to that there isn't a massive amount of money available either.

Twill be an interesting summer. I suppose that if anyone can pull something out of the bag it would be Wenger but I really can't understand there not being quite a bit of concern, even something just nagging away at the back of your mind.

Also, I wouldn't see Ronaldo leaving as a good thing either. If he stays, United have a 30+ goals a season player. If he leaves, they have an extra 50+ million in their transfer kitty.. As a Liverpool fan, I really cannot take any positives out of it. I actually think that I would prefer him to stay.

I try to avoid posting on other clubs threads as it can easily be inferred as throlling but that is one heck of an optimistic post.

not overly optimistic. the Nasri deal seems close, and he's more than an ideal replacement for Hleb as things stand. Flamini isn't a massive blow. Gilberto is still a good player, and then there is Denilson waiting in the wings... most fans believe a replacement wont be needed for the Flamster as good as he was, although they have been linked with a few. If Adebayor leaves for 30mil, a replacement will be readily obtained with that cash. Then considering that all of RVP, Eduardo, and Rosicky missed massive chunks of last season but should be available for the start of the next (or in Eduardo's case not too long after) the squad doesn't need too much reinforcement in this area. The only area left is the defence, and so far the signs are encouraging that signings will be made in this area, (particularly if the Zapata story was true, means Wenger is aiming very high). As usual at the close season for Arsenal, things aren't as bad with the club as the general populace make out.

• Advertisement

Maybe so. Tis easy to make assesements now when there is 2 or 3 first team players apparently leaving. It will be interesting to see what way it all pans out.

I don' expect any major moves until after the Euro Championship. Once taht finishes there will be bedlam!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't think he referred to Adebayor leaving to be fair.

As it stands we’ve lost Flamini, and added Vela.

Nasri arriving and Hleb departing looks likely.

In that scenario, I think we’d still be in pretty good shape – possibly marginally better than last season. This is a young team so we don’t necessarily need to bring in new players to strengthen, as internal development will do that. Specifically I’m looking at Walcott, Bendtner, Fabregas, Denilson, Song and a few others.

Three wild cards are the fitness issues of Rosicky, van Persie and Eduardo. Rosicky has had an operation which he hopes will keep him fit, van Persie’s injuries are seemingly random so he could conceivably stay fit next season, while Eduardo is recovering ahead of schedule. It is possible that some or all of these players could be available for larger parts of next season than the last, which would be a real boost.

Anyway, I believe Le Prof will sign a new centre-back and another midfielder, so I think we’ll be looking strong come the 1st of September.

Maybe so. Tis easy to make assesements now when there is 2 or 3 first team players apparently leaving. It will be interesting to see what way it all pans out.

indeed. and there's always the possibility, given the past precedent for these kind of things, that Flamini will end up the only one to leave. ya never can tell how it pans out. but at the moment i think, and i assume a lot of fans would agree, that there's as much to be optimistic about as anything else.

also the squad Vulnerabilities are overstated imo. the weakest area is CB, however a good addition to the squad in CB will allow Gallas on occasion to cover for Clichy, and then there's always Eboué for the RB slot. All other areas have relatively decent amounts of cover. The biggest problem that occurred this season was the burnout of Fabregas, ordinarily Hleb and Rosicky could both offer cover in this area, but with Rosicky crocked, Hleb having to play the role of support striker due to the Eduardo and RVP injuries, and also Denilson missing with a recurring hamstring injury for a large part too, it's no wonder the kid burned out. Arsenal would be extremely unlucky if that were to occur again next season, injuries to that extent in almost any squad is an extremely rare occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

**** it i'm just not gonna pass to much heat of all this rumour bullshit til the end of the summer when all the transfers in and out are done. Following this stuff constantly is liable to drive you insane. That said £32m for Ade would be crazy money, sure it would buy nearly 2 David Villa's. Not that I'm one of those crazy people who wants Ade out despite him scoring 30 odd goals.

Anyone know the exact dates for the amsterdam tournament or when they'll be announced?, and also whether or not Arsenal will actually be participating in it?:pac: I'll be hittin up A dam around the time they're usually on when i go inter-railing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal had a great season and played some amazing football but how can you not be worried about loosing 3 players that were an integral part of your first 11 last season?

I don't think Ade is going. If he was I wouldn't be so positive.

Flamini is a loss that needs replacing, whether that's by a return to form of Gilberto, the improvement of another player or the arrival of someone new.

Hleb controlled things well but end product wasn't enough. Walcott will give us far more of an end product. Also Rosicky and Van Persie hardly played last season - that made Hleb more important than he is.
    Also, I wouldn't see Ronaldo leaving as a good thing either. If he stays, United have a 30+ goals a season player. If he leaves, they have an extra 50+ million in their transfer kitty.

Wrong IMO. A thirty goal a season winger will win most united teams the league. 50 million doesn't necessarily buy you that. United have a massive squad that they spent a lot of but they still relied on one player to deliver the league. I'm not saying they would have gotten relegated or anything but I think he made the difference.

Well all speculation anyway, we'll just wait and see I guess.

did anyone see the quotes on the BBC site earlier about Hleb? i didn't see them on here...
    BBC wrote:
    Alexander Hleb has met representatives from Barcelona with a view to joining the Spanish giants, according to the player's agent.

"We have had talks with Barcelona but nothing has been signed," agent Uli Ferber told BBC Sport.

The Arsenal midfielder, 27, will make a final decision on his future when he comes back from holiday next week.

Hleb has had discussions with the Gunners but it appears unlikely he will turn out for the club next season.

The Belarus international had been strongly linked with a move to Inter Milan but the Serie A club's appointment of Jose Mourinho appears to ended that possibility.

"I'm sorry that we won't be able to take him to Italy, he liked Inter a lot but obviously Mourinho has made some different choices and has gone for some other names," said Hleb's representative Vincenzo Morabito.

Earlier in the season, it was reported that the former Stuttgart midfielder held secret talks with Inter when in the city ahead of Arsenal's Champions League game against rivals AC Milan at the San Siro.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger threatened to report Inter to football's governing body Fifa if they continued their 'illegal' pursuit of Hleb after former boss Roberto Mancini declared his interest in the player.

The right-winger joined Arsenal in 2005, signing a four-year contract, after the club paid Stuttgart £11.2m for his services.

very hard to make sense of where things are at. does that mean Arsenal are close to agreeing a fee and have already given permission to discuss, or is it still the agents going behind his back? him still having to decide doesn't make a lick of sense... would have thought he'd already have decided if they were in discussions...

f*ck this ****e. bring on Euro2008 so we can ignore all the trash talk like that.

anyone got the exact number of representatives Hleb has? it's excessive to say the least. I think i've seen at least 3 different people named as his agent so far in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The whole Hleb thing is starting to piss me off big time, if he wants to go, let him imo,don't know if anyone saw the Peter Hill Wood article but he is spot on imo, oh for the days of Lee Dixon,Winterburn etc..:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

martin keown?

• Advertisement

martin keown?

:) the number of years that defence stayed together :)

Those were the days:

BBT165prod.jpg

For the youngsters among you left to right: Lee Dixon, Tony Adams, Steve Bould, Nigel Winterburn AKA the England back four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

For anyone giving out about Hleb's end product, I don't think it's right to judge him as an end product player.

I say this because Nasri (his probable replacement) has about a goal every 10 games with Marseille and while he might up that in a superior team, he'll also be against better defences.

Point being that it obviously isn't his strong point either but those kind of players deliver a huge amount in terms of link-up play, ball retention and altering the angle and the dynamic of an attack - all things that Hleb did excellently last year.

That said, he's definitely acting like a c*nt at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

2007/08 StatisticsTEAMCOMPETITION
    .....................................................GS.....SB......G......A.....SH......SG......FC....FS.....YC....RC
    Arsenal....UEFA Champions League........8.......0.......2.......4.......6.......1.......8.......18.......2....0
    Arsenal....Premier League....................29......2.......2.......7......18.....11.....27......48......4.....0
    Arsenal.....English FA Cup.....................1......1.......0.......0.......1.......1.......1........2......0.....0
    2007/08 Season Totals........................38.....3......4.......11......25.....14.....36......68......6.....0
    GS: Games started, SB: Used as Substitute, G: Goals, A: Assists, SH: Shots, SG: Shots on goal, YC: Yellow Cards, RC: Red Cards, FC: Fouls Commited, FS: Fouls Suffered

heres Hlebs stats, not bad considering the amount of Assists he contributed, he would have also been a big part in retaining posession. I always thought he suffered when playing with one up front, I think he works better with two strikers who are making smart runs and give him an outlet. I agree though, he should have chipped in with a few more goals. hate to see him go though.

gosplan wrote: »
    Wrong IMO. A thirty goal a season winger will win most united teams the league. 50 million doesn't necessarily buy you that. United have a massive squad that they spent a lot of but they still relied on one player to deliver the league. I'm not saying they would have gotten relegated or anything but I think he made the difference.

There is a massive amount of talent at United and I genuinely believe that Ronaldo prevents them from performing (in terms of goals mostly) at anywhere near the level that they would if he wasn't there. There is just too much focus on him.

There is no doubting that he is an extremely effective player but he is rediculously greedy and tends to shoot when he should really have his head up looking for a team mate. IIRC, he had by far the highest number attempts on goal - something like 145 with Adebayor in second with 100 or something.

It is working for the moment but defenders will slowly figure out way of stunting his effectiveness. There is also the possibility of him picking up an injury.

In the same way as Henry leaving Arsenal was one of the best things that happened for the surrounding squad of players, Ronaldo leaving would turn the existing United squad into a considerably more effective unit with the goals spread around alot more fairly.

Add another 50, 75 or 100 million worth of talent to that and you got yourself quite a daunting prospect.

• Advertisement

There is a massive amount of talent at United and I genuinely believe that Ronaldo prevents them from performing (in terms of goals mostly) at anywhere near the level that they would if he wasn't there. There is just too much focus on him.

There is no doubting that he is an extremely effective player but he is rediculously greedy and tends to shoot when he should really have his head up looking for a team mate. IIRC, he had by far the highest number attempts on goal - something like 145 with Adebayor in second with 100 or something.

It is working for the moment but defenders will slowly figure out way of stunting his effectiveness. There is also the possibility of him picking up an injury.

In the same way as Henry leaving Arsenal was one of the best things that happened for the surrounding squad of players, Ronaldo leaving would turn the existing United squad into a considerably more effective unit with the goals spread around alot more fairly.

Add another 50, 75 or 100 million worth of talent to that and you got yourself quite a daunting prospect.

We dont really need you telling us UTD would be great and daunting with or without Ronaldo. personnally, I think they will self destruct next year and be in a relegation battle with middlesbrough.

We dont really need you telling us UTD would be great and daunting with or without Ronaldo. personnally, I think they will self destruct next year and be in a relegation battle with middlesbrough.

Have a surprising desire for this myself..

I asked Wenger whether any players at Euro 2008 might be playing their club football at the Emirates next season. The Frenchman, speaking in his capacity as a Castrol Index ambassador, said: "I'm here with my cheque book. If I see something I like....I don't rule anything out."

source

doesn't tell us anything we don't know already I suppose, although i've never heard Wenger be so frank before about being in the market. an indication perhaps he's willing to spend more than previous summers? or am I reading too much into it...

in other news, yesterday AC Milan confirmed interest in Adebayor, Berbatov and Drogba. it seems they are intent on making at one of them a milan player before the end of the summer. Ade however has rubbished reports he'll leave apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

playa3 wrote: »

Anyone know the exact dates for the amsterdam tournament or when they'll be announced?, and also whether or not Arsenal will actually be participating in it?:pac: I'll be hittin up A dam around the time they're usually on when i go inter-railing.

To answer my own question.
    Arsenal confirmed for Amsterdam Tournament

Arsenal will defend the trophy they won at last year's Amsterdam Tournament when they return to the Dutch capital this summer.

Arsène Wenger's side beat Lazio and Ajax on their last visit to Amsterdam and will face the Dutch giants again on Friday, August 8 before playing Sevilla on Saturday, August 9. Inter Milan, with new manager Jose Mourinho, complete this year's quartet of teams.

David Broomhall, chief executive of tournament organisers The International Event Partnership, confirmed the line-up on Friday. He said: "This year will be one of the strongest ever, with the current holders Arsenal, three times Serie A Champions Inter, and 2006 and 2007 UEFA Cup champions Sevilla, going up against an Ajax side under the new guidance of Dutch legend, Marco van Basten."

The points system in place will be identical to the one used at Arsenal's Emirates Cup. A point will be awarded for each goal scored, making it possible for a team which loses its first game to still win the tournament.

Ticket details will appear on Arsenal.com soon.
    Amsterdam Tournament 2008:

Friday, August 8
    Internazionale v Sevilla (6pm UK time)
    Ajax v Arsenal (8.15pm UK time)

Saturday, August 9
    Arsenal v Sevilla (6pm UK time)
    Ajax v Internazionale (8.15pm UK time)

...I leave Amsterdam on the 6th:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sitting watching the opening Euro 2008 game. Watching Senderos playing like a chump in central defence has triggered a case of depressive deja-vu. :(

• Advertisement

If the swiss can hold out for a draw that'll look good for my Fantasy Football team. Ive got Senderos and Djourou :pac:

Anyone know about getting tickets for the Amsterdam tourney?
    I checked Arsenal's site but no info available :(

They haven't posted the details yet.

Booked tickets for Arsenal - Juventus in August. Paid a few quid extra for club level seats; I haven't seen what they're like yet.

Booked tickets for Arsenal - Juventus in August. Paid a few quid extra for club level seats; I haven't seen what they're like yet.

You will like Club Level, great seats and facilities, also you get free beer at half time:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Van Persie makes his first appearance at Euro 2008, hope he can stay fit

Van Persie makes his first appearance at Euro 2008, hope he can stay fit

I dare not look :(

New contract for song. Good to hear. He's starting to show some promise.
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=492450&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Alexandre+Song+agrees+a+new+long-term+contract

Also papers are linking us with Shay Given in a €4.3million deal.

Galvasean wrote: »

and indication perhaps that Wenger sees him as the long term replacement for Gilberto in midfield? I certainly doubt he would have signed on in the long term without some suggestion towards this, there's be a lot of Premiership teams willing to offer him first team football i'd hazard.
    Also papers are linking us with Shay Given in a €4.3million deal.

potentially a bargain, assuming he can stay fit. on his good days he's as good as the worlds best. i've always wanted to see him at a big club, and he's only 32 so he still could get maybe another 5 years (optimistic i know given his injuries of late, but possible). probably worth a punt if available.

Considering Lehmann was 33 when he signed Given could be good business at that price. Almunia will need some proper competition for his #1 spot. Fabianski IMO is a few years away from being a serious contender.

So, how about them new uniforms?
    Sky News were whinging today that Arsenal change their jersey too often and were full of bleeding heart stories "waah waah, we baught our daughter an arsenal jersey last week, now theyre changing it." :rolleyes: Cry me a bloody river. I know it can be expensive keeping up to date with jerseys but surely when a Premiership team has had the same jersey for two full seasons and is now suddenly selling them at discount price surely you can hazarda guess taht something is up?
    Its released on July 3rd and looks great! Available for preorder now:
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=492277

PS: I swear I don't work for AFC merchandising :cool:

• Advertisement

Sky News were whinging today that Arsenal change their jersey too often and were full of bleeding heart stories "waah waah, we baught our daughter an arsenal jersey last week, now theyre changing it."

SKY are ****, and love to Bash on Arsenal for some reason. probably because the French are easy targets for the British... like today on the BBC....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Apparently Fab most likely wont start for Spain tomorrow. Wtf?
    Cant believe this I can understand Xavi and Iniesta. But Silva?

Frisbee wrote: »

Good news imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What are you questioning about Silva?

Frisbee wrote: »

it makes sense to be honest. Iniesta and Cesc are Spains Lampard and Gerrard. can't really play together as they occupy the same area. besides Cesc looked really burned out at the end of the year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I think the jerseys are very typical, not a lot of change going on, Vince Noir would not be happy.

He will be sadly missed, has been part of the club for so long, but best of luck to him with England.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=492466&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Gary+Lewin+to+join+England+team+on+full-time+basis

Would love to see Shay Given sign, cant believe he stayed at Newcastle for so long. I think Fabregas will start tonight with spain having 5 in midfield and one up front, Torres on the bench.

Gary lewin leaving for England? thats a shock, jusrely he could continue to job share, wonder how they will pad out the role during internationals.

Good news about Song, but it would be nice to see some closure to the Nasri and Hleb stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

As for the shirts what the hell, how hard is it understand we change every 2 years, at least we don't have european tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Looks like Ramsey is on his way to the Emirates.
    Aaron Ramsey has joined Arsenal from FA Cup finalists Cardiff City in a £5m deal, BBC Sport understands.

Champions League winners Manchester United and Premier League giants Everton were also fighting to sign the 17-year-old Welsh wonderkid.

But Ramsey has chosen Arsenal after the Gunners flew him out to Switzerland for face-to-face talks with boss Arsene Wenger, who is at Euro 2008.

Cardiff confirmed that Arsenal was the "best cash offer" for the young star.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement