Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Where the hell is all this Villa transfer nonsense coming from.

Today the Sunday Times said 'while Arsenal are winning the race to sign him, Chelsea are also thought to be in the hunt'.

I was all for signing him last year or at the start of the summer as it was obvious he'd move soon enough and I thought he was undervalued at Valencia but break our transfer record for a player we don't really need?

Winning the race? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

gosplan wrote: »
    Where the hell is all this Villa transfer nonsense coming from.

Today the Sunday Times said 'while Arsenal are winning the race to sign him, Chelsea are also thought to be in the hunt'.

I was all for signing him last year or at the start of the summer as it was obvious he'd move soon enough and I thought he was undervalued at Valencia but break our transfer record for a player we don't really need?

Winning the race? Am I missing something?

I wouldn't be overly shocked tbh, Wenger has already said he's going to the Euros with his chequebook which signalled to me a change in transfer strategy, and Fabregas has already been talking up Villa.
    If you's did sign him and keep RVP fit, and with talk of Nasri you's will be pretty formidable again.
    I have a feeling Arsene will sign Krancjar aswell

I'd be all for signing Villa, but can't see us realistically matching his valuation, particularly with Chelsea in the fray.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not a chance in hell of us signing either Villa or Krancjar imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I would have thought Krancjar would be a realisitic transfer target?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

villa would be a great signing but honestly i can't see it ever happening. does anybody know what the hell is happening with nasri. i hear he is waiting until after the euros to decide but i can't even remember were i heard that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Arsenals last 6 games of the season.....At least we will be at home to lift the trophy:p Hopeit does not conflict with our champs league final either.

Saturday, 18 April 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Arsenal, 15:00
    Saturday, 25 April 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Arsenal v Middlesbrough, 15:00
    Saturday, 02 May 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Portsmouth v Arsenal, 15:00
    Saturday, 09 May 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Arsenal v Chelsea, 15:00
    Saturday, 16 May 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Man Utd v Arsenal, 15:00
    Sunday, 24 May 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Arsenal v Stoke, 15:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A tough end to the season indeed :).

• Advertisement

Chelsea, 15:00
    Saturday, 16 May 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Man Utd v Arsenal, 15:00
    Sunday, 24 May 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Arsenal v Stoke, 15:00

Call me cynical but I can see us beating Chelsea and United, then throwing it all away with a 1-1 draw with Stoke at the end of the season.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Call me cynical but I can see us beating Chelsea and United, then throwing it all away with a 1-1 draw with Stoke at the end of the season.

+1 (if we haven't already thrown it away before then)
    its heart breaking to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

lads.... where's the optimism, if we had Van Persie and Rosicky back last season we would have had a great chance to win the league and not fallen off at the end.

After running his socks off, Ronaldo will not be the player he was last year, defo not as many goals, if he is even there, so utd will be weaker, and chelsea are brining in a coach with no european club experience and who does not even speak english, let alone the fact that his philosophy is attacking football in the formation 4231, a far cry from the dour bully tactivs of the current 433, meaning major changes.

Arsenals solid squad with a couple of tasty additions will see them through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

After running his socks off, Ronaldo will not be the player he was last year, defo not as many goals

careful now! i said the exact same thing at the start of last season :(

it's bad times when your happy enough the team will get into the champions league. we need to win somthing this year or i think it will be abandon ship at the emerites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If we had that end to the season last year, there's a good chance we could have won.

Nothing to be scared of. If anything, it's an advantage for us.

• Advertisement

las season i had every confidance in arsenal winning the league but again stupid results against stupid teams. just ruined us again like the previous two seasons. so i will be going into this season still a loyal arsenal fan but without the fate that they can do anything because atleast if you don't expect to win anything you won't be let down when they don't

For me this season will be a major disappointment if we win no trophies. How longcan Fabregas, Adebayor etc. take it without winning silverware?
    Last season I didn't give us much hope in winning the league and was surprised when we hit the top when we did. But as has happened a lot in recent years we dropped points against small teams and lost out. That run of 4 draws in a row in matches we really should have won was the killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just a quickie. When are the squad numbers for the upcoming season usually announced?
    I think its around start/mid august usually but not too sure...

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I'm a liverpool fan and i know we have torres but dammit RVP is class, pure class, You lucky f3Ck3r$

I have to say i am impressed with RvP's Euro Championship form. If he can stay fit he could be one of the Premierships top stars this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

RVP has always played much better for the Dutch than he ever has Arsenal. in fact his career has followed the following cycle: get injured, be rushed back to play for the Dutch, get injured because of being rushed back... i'm rapidly losing patience with him, as good as he is, on the back of these EUROS maybe a good bid will be tabled. let some other club be his rehabilitation centre for 9 months of the year.

oh and i don't know if it's been mentioned or not here, but noise coming out of Spain that Barca are doing their best to tap up Adebayor along with Milan. if true it could be very good for Arsenal, might inflate his price further. perhaps even fund a replacement for both himself and one of the cripples.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

maybe a good bid will be tabled. let some other club be his rehabilitation centre for 9 months of the year.

I am lost for words :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Wow really we put up with kewell, RVP is ten times ahead of him, ye should be blessed. I don't follow him or claim too and his early form last season and euro form caught my eye. He isn't injured that often is he??

stick-dan wrote: »
    He isn't injured that often is he??

:p

Thats ridiculous.
    I never realised he was injured that much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous.
    I never realised he was injured that much...

He is...he hasn't nearly had a full season yet! I'm still holding out because any time he gets a run of a few full games behind him, his quality shines through, world class, without a doubt and I don't use that turn of phrase lightly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

if he can stay fit, he'll be one of the top 3 players in the world within 18 months.

FACT

if Arsenal were selling, i'd be ****ing livid if Liverpool werent in for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I would definately hold out for bit longer in the hope Arsenal can even get 2/3 of a season out of him. Selling him would be a mistake imo
    It's worth it I think, the man has an absolute rocket of a left foot and is an all round class player. Although i do cringe every time he is tackled as I fear he will not get up for about 4 months, but all that is put aside when he does those mad things like the Charlton or blackburn goals

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    but all that is put aside when he does those mad things like the Charlton or blackburn goals

I was at Highbury for that game. :)

• Advertisement

I was at Highbury for that game. :)

So was I :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Well thank feck, France had a crap Euro's, it certainly won't have boosted Nasri's transfer price.

Well thank feck, France had a crap Euro's, it certainly won't have boosted Nasri's transfer price.

indeed. delighted that he was subbed yesterday. looked like he might be the only capable of conjuring anything for them in that wee period he was on.

Cuntley has been voted Arsenal's 25th greatest player of all time by Arsenal fans. Unbe-****ing-lievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

no thank franck.

do ye get it?

//its pretty bad.

Cuntley has been voted Arsenal's 25th greatest player of all time by Arsenal fans. Unbe-****ing-lievable.

But he was a great left back for us, he had a great understanding with Pires, I was really sorry when he left, yes his attitude became crap and the way he left was crap, also his book did not help him. But I have got to the stage that I don't expect loyalty anymore cause by and large you don't get it. But from a football point of view he always gave 100% for us and at the time was one of the best if not the best left back in Europe, he has gone down hill since though and not just saying that cause he left us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

He turned out to be a most heinous tnuc, but you have to admit he was a class act. He was the only one to shackle ronaldo at the last euros when he ran riot. Great player but a horrible hiorrible human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Although I wasn't here, I just wanted to comment on the fixture list, which I believe is the best possible fixture list that Arsenal could have gotten.

Arsenal are all about runs, and when they get on runs they are unbeatable. However when they lose in one of those runs, they get disheartened and can't seem to regain their form. This year it happened with United in the FA cup imo, it happened after the end of the 49 game unbeaten run.

[I think its cause Arsenal builds them all up to believe that they actually are the best players in the world and that when things go badly it actually is due to the refs being biased against them etc. etc.]

Not playing the big clubs until the very end is the best thing that could happen to Arsenal, cause if they play as they can, they could have the league wrapped up by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

As expected, Nasri is a done deal, for £13k apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7462281.stm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wreck wrote: »
    As expected, Nasri is a done deal, for £13k apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7462281.stm

Bargain.:D

really good player IMO should suit arsenal's play too and should have saw more time for France.

Yeah, 13 grand for Nasri is a good deal alright.

He better not be a straight replacement for Hleb though.

The Merse voted in at 26, a true Arsenal legend,Georges son :)

I'm gonna predict the top five:

#5 Ian Wright
    #4 Liam Brady
    #3 Dennis Bergkamp
    #2 Tony Adams
    #1 Thierry Henry

Not my choices, but I can imagine that's who'd be voted in.

I think it might be

5 Ian Wright
    4 Liam Brady
    3 Tony Adams
    2 Dennis Bergkamp
    1 Thierry Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

yeah either that or

#5 Ian Wright
    #4 Liam Brady
    #3 Dennis Bergkamp
    #2 Tony Adams
    #1 Thierry Henry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bergkamp number 1 every time, what a player

Thierry’s combination of power and skill should make him our greatest ever player although Bergkamp was more technically gifted.

Regarding Cashley, I know what he was like before he left, it is irrelevant. His inclusion in the top 50 is an insult to every player he has beaten out. Arsenal legends like Nigel Winterburn, Alex James and many others are behind him and it is completely absurd.

lol, Pepe seems we were onto something with Arshavin.

and Bergkamp for the number 1 spot. he was always the better player than Thierry. it's no surprise to me that Thierry's decline coincided with his retirement.

How do pronounce that Russian guys name? 'arse-shavin'? :confused:

How do pronounce that Russian guys name? 'arse-shavin'? :confused:

No, that's what my girlfriend said last night!

I think it's more like Ar-shav-ín, or maybe that's what he wants everyone to think!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement