Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

gosplan wrote:

Pepe, I saw on the predictins page you have high hopes for Dijourou. Do you think he'll start ahead of Cygan??

Pepes high hopes would be justified. Djourou is very, very fast and as described on arsenal.com has a fantastic ability to read the game. i would definately start him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

I agree,

It will be Toure and Djourou to start with. If Djourou plays well then it will be interesting to see if Senderos comes straight back in ??

Who will start left full though ? Flamini ? Hoyte ? I would think Flamini until Glichy comes back, he will hardly want to stay there rather than midfield.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Numerous reports this morning that the Cole deal is dead because David Dein refuses to budge from his £25m valuation. I’m pleased I must say. Will Abramovich really let the whole deal collapse over (if reports are correct) £1m? It’s spare change to him. I’m not sure what alternatives Chelsea have, with Lyon apparently wanting £21m for Eric Abidal.

There’s also numerous reports that Reyes is very close to his move to Real, with Baptista coming the opposite direction a strong possibility. I think that would be a good deal for both clubs at this stage. If he does go I’ll be very sad to see Jose leave, he’s a wonderfully talented player and a nice guy and I hope he’ll fulfil his promise wherever he goes. It’ll be interesting to see if Baptista comes the opposite direction. Swap deals rarely ever happen, but this might be a rare case as it might suit both parties. If he is signed it’ll leave a strike force of Henry, Van Persie, Adebayor and Baptista, (with Aliadiere, Lupoli, Walcott and Bendtner as backup) which would be as good if not better than any in the league. He could play in an attacking midfield role also, which could be very useful away from home where Arsenal seriously struggled to score goals last season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

As i said before Im not too bothered about Reyes leaving. I remember that when he signed I was over the moon. The highlight of that season for me was Reyes scoring 2 goals in the space of a few minutes against chelsea...

Unfortunatly his heart was never there.. He showed some glimpses of his talent here and there but he was never going to do it in england. Too tough for him
    He still cant speak english FFS!
    So good luck to him and with baptisita maybe coming the other way then this may be a very good move for Arsenal.
    There is plenty of talent in the club at the moment. A bit of muscle and steel is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus I'd be delighted if Arsenal get Baptista if the Reyes transfer goes through, exactly what is needed in Midfield and should suit both players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

jank wrote:
    Unfortunatly his heart was never there.. He showed some glimpses of his talent here and there but he was never going to do it in england. Too tough for him
    He still cant speak english FFS!
    So good luck to him and with baptisita maybe coming the other way then this may be a very good move for Arsenal.
    There is plenty of talent in the club at the moment. A bit of muscle and steel is needed.

remember reading before we signed him that he was'nt the brightest lad and would have severe problems learning english. Even heard his accent was so bad that spanish players had trouble understanding. Sad to see him go, and i'll gurantee he'll be a hit in spain.

As for transfers we'd want to get our asses in gear. Yayas gone to moaco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Baptista would be a great signing, although for some reason I don't see it happening. Maybe Gilberto can be of assistance.

Nick Bendtner scored on his international debut last night as Denmark beat Poland 2-0. At 18 he's the youngest player to play for Denmark since Laudrup in '87. If he turns out to be anything like as good I'll be very pleased! His star is certainly getting brighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Yeah he looks to be very good, scored a good goal for Birmingham on his debut, and played the full 90mins againist Stoke, things are looking really bright for this kid.

• Advertisement

Im getting worried now.

All our Rivals have strengthened their teams apart from Arsenal.
    Jesus Wenger a little transfer activity would not be so bad would it!

Real are some pricks as well, for now telling reyes he is not their top priority. Unsettle him then pick him up for SFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Arsenal defender Ashley Cole makes himself available for this weekend's match against Aston Villa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/5262580.stm

Cole ain't playing this weekend.

I'm happy enough with the squad as it is. I'd like another midfielder signed and a backup CB but I could live without. Once/if Cole goes I think we'll see someone come in.

Wenger says he made a bid for gallas, no cole tomorrow for obvious reasons.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6030650,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

There seems to be a lot of coverage this morning of Javier Mascherano joining us. We could be making a £16million bid for the player. If it is true I would be delighted as he is exactly what we need, a tough tackling midfielder to battle it out with Gilberto.

See here

More possible good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

That what everyone is saying. No links for it, but i've Mascheranos name mentioned a few times.

This is one of the worst transfer windows ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

who?

my exact response when i saw it earlier on sky sports news

£1 million? worth the gamble imo if he is good

• Advertisement

That what everyone is saying. No links for it, but i've Mascheranos name mentioned a few times.

This is one of the worst transfer windows ever.
    Short term I agree, but long term we'll see...

Wenger only spent about £3m in Summer 2003, bringing in Lehmann, Fabregas, Senderos, Djourou and Clichy, despite the end of the previous season being an absolute disaster.

Hope springs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Stokes is off to Falkrik till December 31st. As I'm an optimist I'm hoping the short loan means he'll be back and in the first team Squad before the season is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Don't know if this is genuine or a photoshop but either way it's the funniest photo I have seen in ages. If its genuine what lengths will he go to to get his move.

LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I doubt its real but funny stuff anyways! Anyone ever seen this Naismith play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He scored at the weekend, were a few clubs watching him (apparantly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Arsenal are close to securing a season-long loan for Real Madrid's Julio Baptista, with Jose Reyes returning to Spain for a year. (The Times)

Arsenal may also be about to sign the two finest young players in South America - Javier Mascherano and Carlos Tevez - from Corinthians. (The Times)
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-2336097,00.html

Would love to see Baptista "The Beast" in the Premiership.

Looks like that is going to go through alright. Some muscle in mdfield or upfront would not go astray!

Would like to see Tevez at Arsenal too but he is going to West Ham afaik

oh wow, this is great news

Cannot believe the Mascherano and Tevez news. Fingers crossed Baptista will come in. It's not the ideal transfer but at least it's something.

Oh, and on SSN:
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is set to bring Japanese starlet Sho Ito to the club.

Click here for all the latest transfer news

The 18-year-old has been on trial with The Gunners in a bid to earn a switch to The Emirates Stadium.

After being impressed by Ito, Wenger is working frantically to secure the Japan Under-21 international a work permit and visa before the deadline passes.

"I like him, I want to sign him and we are applying for a working visa for him on the basis of exceptional talent," Wenger said.

"Last season we had an exceptional talent visa for a Cameroon international, Alex Song, and this player looks another exciting prospect."
    Well that's the premiership in the bag.

Well that's the premiership in the bag.

I like your optimisim

• Advertisement

Some chap on Football365 who some people have vouched for claims Cole is undergoing a medical at the England training camp in preparation for his switch to Chelsea before the end of the transfer window - with Gallas already signed to come the other way.

If that deal and the Baptista/Reyes one happens I won't be too unhappy - more power, strength and height in the team, and 2 disruptive players gone. It'd leave Clichy and Van Persie as the only two senior left-footers in the team though.

ARSENAL: Still no news from the Emirates Stadium. But the Press Association have suggested that the Gunners are closing in on a deal which would see Ashley Cole leave for Chelsea in return for a hefty cash sum plus William Gallas. The Gunners have also missed out on Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano, so attention turns to Real Madrid's Julio Baptista and a proposed swap deal with Jose Antonio Reyes. The Spaniard, in his 545th comment on the subject this summer, says he still knows nothing about a "dream" move to Real.
    Come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

They had better do something.....

Gallas and Baptista would be fine additions. just what the team needs. make it happen Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

Football 365 saying "Reports Say Baptista-Reyes Swap Is Complete"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

haha look at the end of the opening paragraph http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BAlio_Baptista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

And read the last few lines of the final paragraph under the heading 'Clubs'.:D

yeah and check arsenal squad on wiki'. Minus Reyes and Plus Baptista

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_FC#External_links

Well, if Wikipedia says so... :rolleyes:

Dum de dum de dum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

good business for the Gunners. Nver really like Reyes. Has he been spotted in talks with anyone?

Well, if Wikipedia says so... :rolleyes:

Dum de dum de dum...

i was merely observing that wikipedia had made changes and was just amazed at the quick and presumptious fashion it was done. I agree that until the club confirms the news it is not actually true
    Trilla wrote:
    good business for the Gunners. Nver really like Reyes. Has he been spotted in talks with anyone?

Never liked him either. he lacked the passion and enthusiasm you want to see from an arsenal player and didnt even bother chase a ball or at least make it difficult for Puyol in the CL final despite being fresh having only came on

Still nothing official on either deal yet...

Word is that the Cole deal is £15m plus Gallas. Fantastic business if that's the case.

lol, stories from Spain are saying Villarreal have agreed to sign Cygan for £2m!

YES!

From the beeb:
    ARSENAL: News from Arsenal! A defender is off in a big-money deal. That's right, Villarreal have agreed a £2m fee for Pascal Cygan (2152).
    Surely this means Gallas is coming in now.

lol, stories from Spain are saying Villarreal have agreed to sign Cygan for £2m!

ah if only..What a day it would be then esp if Baptista and Gallas come to Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

CYGAN JOINS VILLAREAL
    Villarreal agree £2million fee to sign Arsenal defender Pascal Cygan.
    appy days,

happy days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

http://www.arsenal.is/birta_frett.asp?ID=365

Icelandic Arsenal fans website that says the Cole/Gallas thing was done at 8.5 million. They'd know, wouldn't they. :D

Cygan and Cole out, Gallas in

Reyes out Baptista in

All very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Great business regarding the Cygan deal. Who would have thought someone would actually pay to take him from Arsenal's hands!
    Now let these other deals be confirmed soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

to quote the guardian updates

"10.12pm WILLIAM GALLAS HAVING A MEDICAL AT ARSENAL! It's about to end - really, it is."

gosplan wrote:
    to quote the guardian updates

"10.12pm WILLIAM GALLAS HAVING A MEDICAL AT ARSENAL! It's about to end - really, it is."
    hehe the Guardian updates are great:

9.06pm Arsenal always seem to get what they want in the transfer market, don't they. Remember when they made tens of millions by selling Overmars and Petit to Barcelona a few years ago (who subsequently did nothing there)? Reyes and Cole both made it clear they wanted to leave at the start of the summer. Rather than flogging them to the first bidder, Arsenal kept them up to the last minute so they could get the best possible deal. In return for these two players they've got two perfect replacements - Gallas and Baptista - plus, presumably, a big bagful of cash from Chelsea which they might yet splash elsewhere. Great business. United, on the other hand, have been resigned to losing Keane and Van Nistelrooy in the past year, and they've replaced them with Carrick (£18m) and, well, nobody.

9.57pm "Cygan for £2m?" says a disbelieving Angelo. "That definitely confirms your idea that Arsenal get what they want when it comes to transfers."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Wow great stuff re Cygan!!!

Nothing official re Baptista or Cole yet is there??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement