Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

80% sayy his agent, according to Arseblogger, its moranito who said this, he's not Ade's agent, he's the same guy who had Ice Cream with Hleb in milan, said we bid for Aquilani. I think milans beginning to use the madrid\barca tactics of using the papers. 28M-31M yes cool, but who do we replace him. Kenwyn jones has impressed, at a better team he'd be amazing.

no offense to the guy but f*** that, http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3738398,00.html .

Further proof it's BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

From the above article:
    "Super agent Vincenzo Morabito"
    I can see a new marvel comics film : 'Lost as a child and raised by the rumour mill', 'Super imagination powers' etc etc :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Kenwyn jones has impressed, at a better team he'd be amazing.

Get the boat.
    No Way Jones is anywhere near the player Ade is.
    There's really no point in selling Ade if we cant line up a replacement for him.
    Vela, walcott, eduardo are very similair.
    Van Persie is too injury prone
    Bendtner is a donkey

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It looks like Ade is looking for more money than Arsenal are willing to give him. He got a new contract last summer despite not having done a whole lot to deserve it so I think asking for another now is a bit rich. If Milan want to make Arsenal a bit rich and spend £30m for a striker who has only had one prolific season, then I say let them. There are other strikers out there.

Besides Ade our striker options are a little bit unbalanced with there being a lot of support-striker types and not many centre-forwards, but that isn’t the end of the world (Man United managed to win the league without a centre-forward this season). I think we can expect quite a lot from internal improvement from the likes of Walcott, Vela and Bendtner. If van Persie and/or Eduardo stay fit next season then it’s a big bonus.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    Ney. Bullcrap from an agent (not Adebayor’s) with an Italian agenda.

As an aside I've stopped reading the Telegraph. It's a pathetic excuse for a newspaper; it's a tabloid disguised as a broadsheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ade did give you another option though. That other option is essential in games where passing just doesn't work.

If you mean the 'plan B', Bendtner is better in the air than Adebayor anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

one the crouch thing: even though the story reeks of tabloid inventiveness I think they could do a lot worse than him. he's excellent at holding up the ball and bringing people into play, and despite his size he's got surprising footwork ability and close passing skills. I've always felt him to be underrated and under exploited by Rafa. pace however would be his most obvious weakness.

Don't mind Crouch but i think he'd be too slow for us, alot of our attacks involve swift breaks, thats what was so great about about Ade, for a tall guy who could head, he was increadably swift. Personally i think its agent BS, madrid\barca tactics and won't be surprised to see Ade in august.

Altho 28-30M would be very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The back of the mirror linked us with Crouch.. or Gomez!!! :eek:
    Good God, have we really turned into a small club over night?
    Losing our star players to UEFA Cup teams, lining up misfiring strikers. Surely we can't be that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

We mightn't be that bad - but the Mirror is... relax, people, relax :)

Adebayor says he's staying.

Arf.

Heard a whisper (in the pub so pincha salt) that Nasri has moved to Lyon..
    Wikipedia say Arsenal have signed him
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samir_Nasri

Two very reliable sources ;)

edit: Good to hear Adebayor committing himself to arsenal for the eight time since season's end).

So Fabregas puts in another quality performance for Spain. Just what does this lad need to do to get in the starting XI?

Wikipedia even getting mentioned in relation to transfer rumours makes my eyes bleed. You might as well say "my 11 year old cousin Daryl says..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Rosick-note is on the mend
    maybe he will play a decent aprt this season

http://arsespeak.wordpress.com/2008/06/27/rosicky-off-the-crutches/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Great news about adebayor. Now confirm the Nasri signing. Sign a CB (Richard Dune!:) and swap helb for yaya toure and we are ready to roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

jank wrote: »
    Great news about adebayor. Now confirm the Nasri signing. Sign a CB (Richard Dune!:) and swap helb for yaya toure and we are ready to roll.

Yes please, I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

link for the adebayour info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

link for the adebayour info?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7477527.stm and http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3746189,00.html

Although he has now confused things by contradicting himself, but that could be agent talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

• Advertisement

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3746189,00.html

seems to have been the man himself who confused things. taking a leaf out of the portugeezers book.

Part of me wants Adebayor to leave just so I can see him speaking Italian.

News just in - One squad number change from the previously announced numbering:

WALCOTT

No pressure Theo!

only number 8, 18 and 23 free for the 'big name signings.' makes me skeptical that we'll see much activity on the transfer front this close season. wonder what will Nasri wear? 8?

and i wonder who initiated the change? AW himself? or might Walcott to motivate himself or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Yes please, I'm all for it.

Except the Dunne Part

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ade back tracks. Re-opens door to Milan.

Like 5 hours later he changes his mind, haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

1 hour later even

Ade-U-Turn.

more Adebayor **** in the papers this morning. this time the Guardian. are these the same as Sky? i'd love to know where they all keep coming from...
    Emmanuel Adebayor indicated yesterday that he will tell Arsène Wenger next week that he wants to leave Arsenal to join Milan or Barcelona. The striker said he had been promised a conversation with his manager next week to discuss his future and sounded keen to leave the Emirates for what he considers a bigger stage.

Adebayor described Wenger as "like a father to me" but sounded ready to end the relationship with his manager. "He put me where I am today, no doubt about that," the Togo international said. "But if he sells me, and what they are saying in the newspapers is right, they are going to get €50m (£39.5m), maybe €60m for me and they bought me for €10m. So everyone is getting benefits. They have to make a good decision and I have to make a good decision as well."

Wenger has said that he does not want the striker to leave the club and the Milan vice-president, Adriano Galliani, admitted this week that it did not look as if Arsenal were going to sell. "When there's a contract and the club who owns him says no, then it's no," he said.

Adebayor, however, appears confident that he can persuade Wenger to cash in on him. "I had a dream of playing for Arsenal and Arsenal are one of the loveliest clubs in the world," he said at an event organised by his boot supplier, Adidas. "When I go back to Africa it is obvious that a lot of people love the club. But now I have a chance of playing with one of the biggest clubs in the world. I haven't had a chance to speak to the manager yet. But we will sit down next week and decide what is good for my career."

Adebayor, signed by Arsenal from Monaco, has attracted interest from Barcelona as well as Milan after scoring 30 times last season and could expect a wage rise if he moves. Yesterday the 24-year-old added that a decision of what to do "would not be difficult" and suggested he was in control of his own destiny.

"We will have to meet with the manager before anything can be decided," he said. "But, as you know better than anyone, a lot of teams want me to play for them. It will not be a difficult decision. I'm just going to sit down with my agent and with my family and decide what is good for my career."

He wants his future resolved by July 21, when Arsenal begin pre-season training, and hinted that he could be persuaded to stay if the club finally meet his demands for a significant pay-rise.

"I have a promise from Arsène that they will call me next week because I asked them to look at my contract and see what they wanted to do," he said. "Now I am waiting and then I will decide."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/28/arsenal.premierleague

I notice they include 'significant pay-rise' at the last.

Yep, this is all about money. Might be a good time to sell him tbh.

Yep, this is all about money. Might be a good time to sell him tbh.

and judging by the sudden U-turn in his leanings, has to be almost entirely instigated by agents. I'd say his representative got hold of him on the phone fairly sharpish after that Interview he gave saying he'd stay. scum 'o the earth.

agents should be banned and contract negotiations should be conducted by representatives of the PFA (i.e. negotiators they employ). Ironically this would probably lead to an increase in the take home pay of footballers.

Bah i reckon we go for the UEFA cup next season, Bayern did it last year and bought a bucketload of worldclass players, looks like Milan are doing it this year.

• Advertisement

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3753415,00.html
    "Barcelona have made a good financial offer and there is also the chance to play alongside great players.

"Yes, I am still under contract to Arsenal but it's up to the directors to satisfy my demands or I'll leave.

"If my good form of last season has increased my value, my employers have to take account of that.

"I have to prepare for my retirement. Even if you are not scoring fine goals and you have money, you can enjoy a happy retirement.

"The time for preparing for that moment is now."

"People ask if I am asking for the same salary as Henry. That is not necessarily the question.

"But I am being considered a worthy replacement for Henry while not deserving his salary.

"The question lies on this level."
    Ugh. One season in and we've already replaced Henry's ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He's gonna be sold with an attitude like that.

I'd say Wenger is just waiting for an offer in the region of £30million. At that price, it would be good business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pity, I really liked Adebayor.

to be demanding the same pay as Henry after one decent season is a bit much though.

I think he's just after a lot more money but he clearly would do the same next year of the year after again. if we can get 30 million, sell him

(and buy Senna!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I think 30m is a bit much tbh, 20 max seems more realistic...

Personally I'd be happy if United bought him for 30. Cracking player, really the ideal center forward for a team that plays nice football.

30m though? He's hardly the centre of Arsenal's team, he's an important player no doubt but replaceable in my mind...considering you could pick up a Villa or Torres for that price...

30m though? He's hardly the centre of Arsenal's team, he's an important player no doubt but replaceable in my mind...considering you could pick up a Villa or Torres for that price...

That's why I'd say AW is holding out for something significantly more than £20million. that will fund a quality replacement perhaps with money left over.
    Barcelona and AC Milan are minted, if they want him as much as they claim they can afford to fork over the dough.

Villa and Torres don't offer what he does though. There are always lots of Villa and Torres style strikers, but Adebayour is a different style, he is a very big guy who can get 30+ goals a season, but at the same time can partake in build up play to a very high level.

• Advertisement

that is shocking behaviour from Adebayour tbh.

the ****ing world is gone mad with greed.

the ****ing world is gone mad with greed.

pfft, nothing new there. remember an injured Henry was paid 10million for his last season at the club. how many games did he play in that season? Am i right in thinking it was less than 20?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If Adebayor and Hleb both go Arsenal could well be scrapping with Pool and Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

I would take anything over 20 million for Ade, 30 million would be unreal tbh. If you watch him in games, he genaerally misses a couple of pretty easy chances, yes he gets himself in the right positions, but Arsenal generally create a bucket load of chgances per game anyway, what we need is a bread and butter striker, who'll score the easy goals. Ade does'nt fit that bill and his arrogance is unreal, he had a decent season last year, but Id be surprised to see him back it up with another high-scoring season. I think losing Hleb would be a greater loss. This guy has massive potential imho, he just needs to be a little bit greedier in front of goal, and he'll be our new Pires..

anyone think that if Adeboyor leaves AW might give Bendtner a chance? I've seen very little of him tbh but when i have it's always when they've been chasing a game and the rest of the team are out of ideas. i'm not really familiar with the rest of his game, but the Danes really rate him i've heard?

edit: wikipedia has him as having earned 18 caps already!

The Danes rate him extremely highly, even moreso than Agger and he is class.

Adebayor shites on about other teams wanting him in a bid to get more money every year - remember his comments about Man United last summer?

Sell him.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Villa and Torres don't offer what he does though. There are always lots of Villa and Torres style strikers, but Adebayour is a different style, he is a very big guy who can get 30+ goals a season, but at the same time can partake in build up play to a very high level.

I dunno, let's judge him when he actually scores 30+ goals, good season last season, still don't think he's as clinical as a 30-goal striker should be...

EDIT: ignorance, disregard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I dunno, let's judge him when he actually scores 30+ goals, good season last season, still don't think he's as clinical as a 30-goal striker should be...

He scored 30 last season.

Oh right, well Adebayour's great!

he did actually score 30 goals last season. 24 in the premier league, same as Torres, and another 6 in other comps. even with the bucket load of missed chances he can still score goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Oh right, well Adebayour's great!

He is no Henry imo.

Actually he not fit to lace his boots imo.

Last season has really gone to his head imo,I feel he wll be sold for £27m which would be a great bit of business imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement