Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

30M is great money but who to replace him with. Adebayor offers so much to the team not just goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Arsenal sign Messi!!

http://i27.tinypic.com/30vf2hk.jpg

Its a disgrace really. I blame the local council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If we could get 30 for Ade and sign Santa Cruz for 15 I'd be a happy Gunner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Cruz of inter would be a good signing, good finisher good in the air, he's been pretty good at inter, unfortunate for him but could good for us that he has zlatan and crespo in front of him. Also looks like Adriano is on his way back, so could be cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Also looks like Adriano is on his way back, so could be cheap.

If we could get him cheap it could be work the risk!
    Wouldnt put it past Wenger anyway, the man is a genius for signing people who look crap and then come amazing.
    Not saying Adriano is crap, but he really went off the boil...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Pighead wrote: »

superb everyone should see this.:D

Frisbee wrote: »
    Wouldnt put it past Wenger anyway, the man is a genius for signing people who look crap and then come amazing.

He did, but apparently has turned it around big time since his loan spell in brazil.

He did, but apparently has turned it around big time since his loan spell in brazil.

Full steam ahead then I'd say!

Sorry, just hadn't seen anything of him in Brazil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Frisbee wrote: »

actually... that possibility would be very interesting. If someone could get him back to strength Arsene would be as likely as any I'd imagine given his background and experiences with Tony Adams etc. I'd be very surprised though if anything were to materialize though on this front.

edit:

I'm not sure. footballing wise maybe, but he's still causing problems off the field. Sao Paulo are letting him go earlier than intially agreed i thought?

• Advertisement

Ljungberg named our 11th best player. one ahead of Overmars. Controversial..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ljungberg named our 11th best player. one ahead of Overmars. Controversial..

About right, I would have had Freddie above him.

I suppose it could be due to the fact that Freddie was at Arsenal 3 times longer then Overmars. Although given the choice to have either in my team in their peak I'd go with Overmars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Would agree with that.

I'm a neutral by the way.

Not only length of service but the many times he got Arsenal out of jail.

Was a quality player. But, he shouldn't have been as surprised as he was when he was found to be surplus to requirements by Wenger considering the manager is more practical as opposed to loyal when it comes to considering his assets at a particular time.

Loyalty doesn't necessarily win trophies.

Considering we got 9 years of committed service from the guy before selling him for the same amount we bought him for we did quite well.

and on a very slow news day: seems like Obafemi is singlehandedly trying to engineer himself a move to Arsenal. he'll make a good agent someday, i'll give him that...
    Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins has expressed interest in securing a summer move to Arsenal.

The Nigerian has long been linked with a move to North London, with Gunners chief Arsene Wenger a confirmed admirer of the former Inter forward.

Wenger may well be in the market for a new striker, given the doubts surrounding the future of Emmanuel Adebayor, and Maritns has hinted he would jump at the chance to head to the capital.

"Arsenal is a big club that everyone wants to play for. I am thrilled and it will be nice to play for such a team," Martins is quoted as saying in The Sun.

"But, now that I am a Newcastle player, there is nothing much to say. If it is true, both clubs would have to reach an agreement.”

Martins has proved a real hit on Tyneside and has stressed he will not attempt to force the club into selling.

He added: "Is Arsenal a good club? Yes. Would I love to play there? Probably, if Newcastle are ready to listen to them. But if Newcastle says no then it'll be no.

"Because I still have a contract, I expect the club to speak to me when I get back. I am not saying I want to go but, if anything happens, that's football."
    source: http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/05/Prem-Martins-on-Arsenal/

ambitious, opportunistic, delusional or even realist? i can't decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

and on a very slow news day: seems like Obafemi is singlehandedly trying to engineer himself a move to Arsenal. he'll make a good agent someday, i'll give him that...

source: http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/05/Prem-Martins-on-Arsenal/

ambitious, opportunistic, delusional or even realist? i can't decide.

Obafemi Martins in Arsenal.... hmmmm:rolleyes:

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Obafemi Martins in Arsenal.... hmmmm:rolleyes:

Doubt this happening myself, he could be ok, has'nt got the best squad around him at Newcastle tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

has anyone heard anything about the Hleb story? The whole thing seems to have died in the last couple of weeks, you would think with deco moving and the Arshavin deal looking unlikely that this would be back on the agenda. Are barca looking elsewhere, and if so, what to do with hleb, he will hardly be motivated for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/06/SOCCER_Arsenal_Wenger.html

jeez, didnt realise we were so tight, I thought the board came out at Christmas and basically said Wenger had bundles to spend. 17 years, this is not good news. So much for going to the Euro's with a cheque book.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I wouldn't pay much attention to that.

• Advertisement

I sincerely hope that isn't the case! :eek:

News of the World is the source thats all you need to know.

Got my Vela 12 jersey yesterday. Man, he better become an arsenal legend within the next two years..

Still debating who to put on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Clichy 22 all the way! Other ones I'd consider would be Eduardo, Sagna or van Persie(he probably won't be needing his too often so you could save a few bob there:P)

Though i'm not sure if i'm gonna buy one this year, never really been all about buying jerseys every year.

Just don't google 'Arsenal squad numbers'. First link I got was this:
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=404126&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Arsenal+announce+2006/07+squad+numbers
    Asley Cole LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Not really.

The club's financial situation is well documented at this stage. It has to make large interest repayments but it is making those and is still making a healthy profit. The numbers are widely available and speak for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Arsene wrote:
    “We manage at Arsenal to maintain all our football ambitions - national and European - while having to free up, for 17 more years, an annual surplus of £24million to pay for our stadium."

"The strategy of the club is to sell every year and to buy less expensive players.”

does this not sound like he is saying basically every year the clubs top players are for sale, which would certainly seem the case with Flamini,Hleb and Adebayour seeminly on their way. or maybe i've totally misread it

Peter Hill-Wood said yesterday that Adebayor isn't for sale.

But obviously he is, but only at a certain price. You can't really keep against their will players these days anyway, but you can set it up so that you do well out of it. Sell high, buy low. Nothing really new to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mr Alan wrote: »
    does this not sound like he is saying basically every year the clubs top players are for sale, which would certainly seem the case with Flamini,Hleb and Adebayour seeminly on their way. or maybe i've totally misread it

Maybe...maybe (hopefully) not! It could be a case of seeing a good deal and taking it!

In Hlebs situation, he clearly doesn't want to stay...he's been constantly linked with a move away, but hasn't really stated his desire to stay, so I see him leaving when Nasri comes in, which would be a good bit of business since we would be swapping a player who doesn't want to be here (at or near his peak) with somebody who is very young and talented and hopefully full of enthusiasm for the club!

As for Adebayor, I wouldn't like to see him go, but £30m is a massive price for a player of his ability! I think he's great, but I feel there are certain players out there (some which may be available at a fraction of his selling price) who could get us more goals than him. So, if that happens, that too would be a great bit of business!

I have to say I was disappointed when Flamini left, but it could be a blessing in disguise! He only became a regular last season after all, maybe Diaby can step up to the challenge and make that position his as it doesn't seem like we are in the market to buy a replacement for him!

Mr Alan wrote: »

At a glance its very worrying but when you read into it not so much. repaying £24million a year isn't as collosol as it might seem considering the clubs massive turnover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed. It will only be a problem once Wenger is gone, (and his influence) by which stage the club should be on better financial footing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

arshavin would you want him?

Nah, I'd rather Kevin Kilbane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

arshavin would you want him?

What club wouldn't want Arshavin?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Here's a bargain for anyone that doesn't already have it :D
    Mine arrived on Saturday, brought back some memories. Not much extras on the disk but it's worth it for the game alone and at that price you can't go too wrong!

Arshavin won't go to Arsenal, he would literally annihilate the current wage structure if he came, or else be willing to take a pay cut. either unlikely imo.

there are also doubts over the credibility of those Wenger quotes. NOTW don't say where or when he was speaking to them. could be another 5 year old quote delivered out of context.

jester77 wrote: »
    Here's a bargain for anyone that doesn't already have it :D
    Mine arrived on Saturday, brought back some memories. Not much extras on the disk but it's worth it for the game alone and at that price you can't go too wrong!

Beat you to it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

jasonorr wrote: »

LOL :p I just noticed in on my wishlist last week, so that's how I came about eventually getting it. Also got recommended Perry Groves book. Sounds interesting, looks like lots of people purchased it around the time of Ashley Cole's release just to spite him :D

Anyone read it?

Not really.

The club's financial situation is well documented at this stage. It has to make large interest repayments but it is making those and is still making a healthy profit. The numbers are widely available and speak for themselves.

Because the stadium was completed on time and on budget the club were able to negotaiate an extension of the loan which resulted in a significant reduction in interest, the club have always said that they will compete in the transfer market within there natural means, which seems very prudent to me.

jester77 wrote: »
    LOL :p I just noticed in on my wishlist last week, so that's how I came about eventually getting it. Also got recommended Perry Groves book. Sounds interesting, looks like lots of people purchased it around the time of Ashley Cole's release just to spite him :D

Anyone read it?

is perrys book going to be part of the membership pack this season as it has an 89' theme to it? could have swore i read that the other day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yep Perrys Book is included you also get the below

Exclusive Anfield '89 Commemorative Pack!

You will receive an exclusive membership pack that celebrates the 20th anniversary of our famous title win at Anfield. This includes:

Interactive DVD

* Match Highlights and Screen Test including post-match celebrations and homecoming plus an interactive quiz to become the Anfield Anorak.
    * Mastermind Challenge 1989 v 21st Century Gunners - Arsenal players past and present are tested on how much they know about the Club.
    * Plus much more including Mystery Personality and 2007/08 highlights.

Retro Yearbook Everything you need for the season ahead with an 80s twist including player-by-player profiles of the first team squad plus a full review of 2007/08.

Perry Groves Autobiography Exclusive edition of Perry Groves' brilliant book including car-chases, international diplomatic incidents and of course that night at Anfield.

Ticket Wallet and Fridge Magnet

We will also send you two exclusive membership magazines over the course of the season.

On another note anyone buy the new jersey ? Thoughts ?

Also anyone going to Amsterdam be there for the 2 games myself

OPENROAD wrote: »
    that they will compete in the transfer market within there natural means,

Platini would be proud.

Interesting

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1392828.ece

ALEX HLEB has stuck the boot into Arsene Wenger and Cesc Fabregas as he steps up his campaign to quit Arsenal.

The Gunners star says he has never agreed with boss Wenger over his role and brands Fabregas ‘selfish’.

Hleb insisted: “My view of how I should be playing didn’t coincide with the manager’s.

"I told him last season I wanted to leave and think he was quite upset about it.

“But ask him. It may turn out he’s happy to see me go.

“I don’t know where I’ll be next season but I’d prefer Barcelona.

“It is being negotiated and, hopefully, will be decided soon.”

Arsenal are demanding £18million for the Belarussian, 27, who has two years left on his contract.

The midfielder knows he will not get a warm welcome from his team-mates at pre- season training this week, especially after his pop at Fabregas.

He said: “When we get scoring opportunities, Fabregas is much more selfish than me.

“Given a chance to shoot, he always goes for it — unlike me.”

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »

Can you quote it? The Sun always crashes my browser!

Old quotes rehashed.

I don't think Barca, Madrid, Inter or any big club are interested in signing Hleb now.

That comment is hardly a dig at Fabregas either, it's the truth. Cesc scores goals and people who score goals tend to be a bit selfish at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Old quotes rehashed.

I don't think Barca, Madrid, Inter or any big club are interested in signing Hleb now.

That comment is hardly a dig at Fabregas either, it's the truth. Cesc scores goals and people who score goals tend to be a bit selfish at times.

Well 20 assists from him would harldy brand him as shelfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

aye i wouldnt read it as a dig, he's just stating fact.

more paper talk trying to stir ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Here's a question Arseblogger is asking for some competition.

Under Arsene Wenger's reign only two players have scored on their league debuts. Who are they?
    I reckon it's Ljungberg + Eduardo, not entirely sure about Eduardo though. Oh wait, just read the league debut part, so I think Eduardo is out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement