Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Here's a question Arseblogger is asking for some competition.

Under Arsene Wenger's reign only two players have scored on their league debuts. Who are they?
    I reckon it's Ljungberg + Eduardo, not entirely sure about Eduardo though. Oh wait, just read the league debut part, so I think Eduardo is out.
    Edu lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hleb wrote:
    “Given a chance to shoot, he always goes for it — unlike me.”

Thing is, Hleb has wasted many goal scoring opportunities this season by being afraid to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Galvasean wrote: »
    Edu lol

Hmmm no I don't think so. The second one's supposed to be more recent anyway.

Old quotes rehashed.

I don't think Barca, Madrid, Inter or any big club are interested in signing Hleb now.

That comment is hardly a dig at Fabregas either, it's the truth. Cesc scores goals and people who score goals tend to be a bit selfish at times.

I wouldnt necessaruily say it isnt a dig either. Maybe he doesnt get on with Fabregas and is desperate to leave the club so publically criticising players is how he planc to engineer a move away by making his position at the club untenable.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's Ljungberg and Adebayor.

I wouldnt necessaruily say it isnt a dig either. Maybe he doesnt get on with Fabregas and is desperate to leave the club so publically criticising players is how he planc to engineer a move away by making his position at the club untenable.
    The quotes are old ones I believe. He's very close to Fabregas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

aye an arsenal friend told me this morning the only reason he doesnt believe it is that supposedly they are great friends off the piitch

Who was the spastic who tagged this thread with Chelsea crap?

*goes off to spam the chelsea thread*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll get rid of the tags once we can work out who added them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you might wanna have a look at the other superthreads too then PHB :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

OPENROAD wrote: »
    “Given a chance to shoot, he always goes for it — unlike me.”

Yeah and we all wish you had have shot a bit more....

Undoubtedly he's a good player with a great eye for a pass, but how often do we squander goal scoring opportunities because we tried to walk it into the net?
    Hleb being a big perpetrator

Hleb's probably just trying to make himself unpopular so he can leave easier. Surely even he knows he should have had a shot a lot more often. It's not exactly hard to see it's a weak point in his game.

He's already come out and said that the quotes are complete bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I read those quotes earlier and they're clearly just trying to stir the ****. If you just read those quotes on their own you'd think nothing of them. For all we know they could have asked him something like "How do you think you differ to Fabregas in you're playing style?", or anything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

playa3 wrote: »
    I read those quotes earlier and they're clearly just trying to stir the ****. If you just read those quotes on their own you'd think nothing of them. For all we know they could have asked him something like "How do you think you differ to Fabregas in you're playing style?", or anything really.

agreed. in fairness Hleb's displayed a lot more cop in front of the media than the likes of Adebayor or Ronaldo. be madness for him to come out and suddenly say something like that especially as his chances of leaving are dimming with each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Hleb wrote: »
    "I'm shocked by some media-reports"

Dear Friends,

I am shocked by some media-reports. In some newspapers it was mentioned that I have attacked Arsene Wenger and Cesc Fabregas. But let me tell you: This is not true! The statements in the papers are definitely not my statements.

I would never ever say something disrespectful about them. And there is a simple reason for this: Cesc is a very good friend of mine and Arsene is one of the persons, I respect most.

http://www.alexander-hleb.com/web/cms/front_content.php?client=1&lang=2&idcat=16&idart=548

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

I always got the impression from celebrations etc on the pitch that Hleb and fabregas were great buddies. However, I also though Hleb and Adebayor never really got on. I remember a couple of times last season after games, they would not even look at eachother when making an effort of a handshake.

Anyway, Had a bit of a deeper look into Adebayors goalscoring in the prem last year.

Goals scored..................................24
    Games scored in.............................17 out of 38
    Goals against bottom 5 opposition......11 including 6 v Derby
    Goals against mid table(9,10,11,12).....8
    Goals against top 6 opposition............3
    Goals against top 3 opposition............1

For 24-28 Mil, I would snap AC Milans hands off, considering the profit involved.

Anyway, Had a bit of a deeper look into Adebayors goalscoring in the prem last year.

For 24-28 Mil, I would snap AC Milans hands off, considering the profit involved.

in fairness though, if you break down the record of almost all the great goalscorers it will look something similar. how many did Torres get against Derby last year? anyway I know he got two hat tricks against relatively poorer opposition, West Ham and Boro.

• Advertisement

so what does this mean?
    AC Milan claim Arsenal are ready to sell Emmanuel Adebayor, a month after insisting he was not available.

The Gunners told Milan on 13 June that the striker, 24, was not for sale.

But Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani revealed the Gunners have since written to the Italian club to say they have changed their position.

Galliani told Italian TV station Antenna 3: "I have a letter from Arsenal that says 'we will consider a deal if it still interests you'."

However, the clubs still need to agree a fee, with Milan unwilling to meet Arsenal's £36m valuation of the Togo international.

Galliani says he has spoken to Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger about a deal but that they are "divided" on the player's value.

Milan said in June that Adebayor was their "sole transfer target" of the summer, although they later said they could not afford him.

After selling Alberto Gilardino to Fiorentina and with Ronaldo out of action because of a serious knee injury, Milan have made signing a striker their top priority, although Barcelona also covet Adebayor, who scored 30 goals in 48 games last season.

"If Adebayor decides to leave, Milan definitely want him but it is clear that if an offer arrives from Barcelona it would be difficult for him to say no," Galliani added.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7495471.stm

strange thing to come out and say imo. I'm guessing while all the talk has been about Barcelona in recent weeks they are trying to force themselves back into contention for the player, and further unsettle him to knock done the price? but imo it does smack of a hint of desperation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Absolutly mindblowing price.
    Considering Wenger bought him for something like £4.5m anything over £15m is huge.
    Considering Arsenal will probably get double that, it just shows what a flippin genius Wenger actually is

well if Liverpool were to sell Torres, they'd get 50m plus. 30m for Gerrard. thats a 60m profit on two players.

Selling a clubs best players is never good business imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Tis another smart piece of business alright.

Would be very happy to see a player or coming in as opposed to money though.

Screw all the transfer talk as I don't believe any of it - particularly the Santa Cruz or Martins nonsense but a good while ago Wenger said that Arsenal fans would be pleased with the speed of the action in the transfer market this year.

The fact that we still haven't really signed anyone(bar Ramsey) would suggest that the market hasn't been successful so far this year.

To be honest, I believe that without any more transfers we'd still make the top 4 and the knockout stages of the champions league but we won't be picking up any trophies unless something happens soon.

I'm OK with that though. I can accept that Wenger's plans have taken a huge dent with Flamini, Ade and Hleb and that can't be fixed in one transfer period.

But, I'm assuming that Wenger has transfer plans beyond Nasri and Ramsey this season and I'm also assuming that this isn't going so well ... which is worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mr Alan wrote: »

Unless you're Arsenal and time it right - Henry, Viera, Anelka etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

well if Liverpool were to sell Torres, they'd get 50m plus. 30m for Gerrard. thats a 60m profit on two players.

gosplan wrote: »

Thing is Wenger and only Wenger could line up an equally good replacement for
    a fraction of the cost who will slot perfectly into the Arsenal team.
    The man is a magician
    Selling clubs are never good unless they are Arsenal where it doesnt seem
    to hurt them one bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I doubt Liverpool would get 50m for Torres, I don't mean he's not worth it, imo he's probably the best striker in the premiership, but clubs aren't spending that kind of money on players.

and 30m for Gerrard lol.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

gosplan wrote: »

well those 3 cases are quite different-Viera and Henry massively so.

Considering a) the large debt hanging over the club, b) the footballing ability of Adebayor, c) the lack of loyalty of the player and d) the large wages that the club would have to pay the player every year to keep him, £30m+ is very good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

well those 3 cases are quite different-Viera and Henry massively so.

Overmars, Petit, Edu, Cole!

I always got the impression from celebrations etc on the pitch that Hleb and fabregas were great buddies. However, I also though Hleb and Adebayor never really got on. I remember a couple of times last season after games, they would not even look at eachother when making an effort of a handshake.

Goals scored..................................24
    Games scored in.............................17 out of 38
    Goals against bottom 5 opposition......11 including 6 v Derby
    Goals against mid table(9,10,11,12).....8
    Goals against top 6 opposition............3
    Goals against top 3 opposition............1

How about yo add in Home and Away goals and do the exact same for Torres!

• Advertisement

Edu left on a free, and even though he was useless when he left it was a bad piece of business as Vieira was let go in the same summer and nobody was signed to replace either of them. You only have to look at how Edu was reportedly offered in May what he wanted in January (but by then had already decided to leave) to see that was a screw up on Arsenal's behalf.

I honestly think Arsenal would not have been struggling to make 4th in the 2005/2006 season if Edu had stayed. Ok they probably wouldn't have done any better than 4th but it wouldn't have taken a dodgy lasagne to get them there.

Edu left on a free, and even though he was useless when he left it was a bad piece of business as Vieira was let go in the same summer and nobody was signed to replace either of them. You only have to look at how Edu was reportedly offered in May what he wanted in January (but by then had already decided to leave) to see that was a screw up on Arsenal's behalf.

I honestly think Arsenal would not have been struggling to make 4th in the 2005/2006 season if Edu had stayed. Ok they probably wouldn't have done any better than 4th but it wouldn't have taken a dodgy lasagne to get them there.

Maybe, maybe not, but Arsene got rid and he flopped...that's why I included him and did Fabregas and Gilberto not step in straight away?

Gilberto had always been there, and Edu had outplayed him in the 04/05 season imo. Fabregas was still young, it wasn't until 06/07 when he really started to play like he does now consistently.

Maybe it's just me, but I think letting Edu go on a free due to not wanting to pay him what he wanted, then backtracking and offering him the wages only to see him leave anyway, was some of the worst business I've seen Arsenal do since Wenger joined. Not as bad a signing Frannie Jeffers but still not great.

Gilberto had always been there, and Edu had outplayed him in the 04/05 season imo. Fabregas was still young, it wasn't until 06/07 when he really started to play like he does now consistently.

Maybe it's just me, but I think letting Edu go on a free due to not wanting to pay him what he wanted, then backtracking and offering him the wages only to see him leave anyway, was some of the worst business I've seen Arsenal do since Wenger joined. Not as bad a signing Frannie Jeffers but still not great.

Well maybe we should have held onto one of them because replacing two players in central midfield is never going to be easy, but once it had been done, I don't think we could have replaced them any better, if we bought players, then they would need time to settle into the squad/premiership! We brought in Gilberto, who was solid and Fabregas who has turned into one of the best midfield players in the world and starting at such a young age can only have helped him!

Skysports are reporting Hleb to Barca is almost done.

Skysports are reporting Hleb to Barca is almost done.

Yeah, I saw that...it's a shame because I liked Hleb as a player, but he will be replaced!

Indeed, but hopefully immediately and not in a couple of seasons time.

If Nasri is a direct replacement for Hleb, it'll be a real gamble by Arsene.

i'd imagine he's hoping that Rosicky can finally shake off his injury woes. if he can the team wont need a direct replacement, Rosicky can simply shift to the centre. and remember Hleb played much of his best football last season in the support striker role, which RVP and Vela will hopefully be able to handle between them. then you have Nasri and Vela then as options for the left, along with Eduardo when he comes back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

has Nasri officially signed yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Anyone how much we will get for Hleb?

• Advertisement

has Nasri officially signed yet?

no
    MBC wrote: »
    Anyone how much we will get for Hleb?

nothing but speculation. the most recent figure i can remember was a figure of 18 million mentioned somewhere, it was quoted in pounds, but at best it's euros. i'd say though the real fee will be close to 18million dollars i.e. just under the £10million mark.

Under £10m would be an utterly ludicrous fee for Arsenal to accept, and heads should roll if that happens.

Hleb should be going for around £20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hleb should be going for around £20m.

Thats a bit of a ludicrous price aswell.
    I'd say between 12-16 million sterling would be fairly acceptable..

Maybe not quite £20m but that is the ball park that Arsenal should be looking for. He's a key player for a top CL team. Look at how much Zenit are looking for Arshavin.

Players like Barry, Bentley, Alonso and Modric are reported to be going for/have gone for mid to high teens. Barca, who are supposed to be signing Hleb, have already spent £23m (possibly rising to £26m) for Alves, £13m for Caceres and £11m for Keita.

how many years does Hleb have left? at the start of the year they were saying he has the ability to buy out his contract under them new rules. he hasn't exercised it, but it would still lower the fee if true? around the 10 million mark was the price quoted at the start of all these dodgy dealiings anyway unless i am mistaken?

Maybe not quite £20m but that is the ball park that Arsenal should be looking for. He's a key player for a top CL team. Look at how much Zenit are looking for Arshavin.

Players like Barry, Bentley, Alonso and Modric are reported to be going for/have gone for mid to high teens. Barca, who are supposed to be signing Hleb, have already spent £23m (possibly rising to £26m) for Alves, £13m for Caceres and £11m for Keita.

Arsenal don't ask for huge prices unless they want to keep the player!

Wenger's said many times that he wants to keep Hleb.

Wenger's said many times that he wants to keep Hleb.

But if a player is determined to leave and only has a short time left on his contract, then it's effectively the same thing ie. get rid while he's still worth something!

Is that not what happened with Overmars, Petit, Anelka and so forth?

• Advertisement

Is that not what happened with Overmars, Petit, Anelka and so forth?

Yes, but I don't think the club had to do much haggling to get those prices!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement