Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

10. Pat Jennings
    9. Charlie George
    8. Liam Brady
    7. David Seaman

Next up will be Pires, IMO. Methinks:

5. Wright
    4. Vieira
    3. Adams
    2. Bergkamp
    1. Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Next up will be Pires, IMO. Methinks:

5. Wright
    4. Vieira
    3. Adams
    2. Bergkamp
    1. Henry

i'm guessing that it will look that way as well but i would go with bergkamp over henry (but thats just personal preference)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm bringing this up because some blogs are reporting rumors about Gilberto leaving.

Who's gonna take his place? What do ye think?

Personally I'd like to see Denilson step up with Song as cover option.

Anyone think we're going to get someone new in?

I think Wenger hit on something quite significant last year with the Flamini/Fabregas combination - the ultra-mobile and skillful midfield pairing.

Football's big teams have totally embraced the Makelele role over the last decade with the DMF considered the linchpin of most teams. I'm wondering if Wenger is looking to continue going in another direction. I think that Denilson can probably do this if he can up the tackle count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Letting Gilberto go on top of Flamini and not signing anybody to replace at least one of them will be a disaster.

• Advertisement

I dunno, I think Denilson is more or less ready. Song and Djourou would be able deputies. Maybe signing someone like Raul Albiol who can play CB and DM would provide insurance.

I think the more important issues are replacing Hleb, Adebayor and sorting out central defence. Of the players we've been linked to recently, I'd be happy with the following this summer:

Out
    Lehmann, Flamini, Hleb, Adebayor, Gilberto

In:
    Vela, Ramsey, Nasri, Bischoff, Arshavin, Santa Cruz, Albiol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

what do people make of Ramsey? I know nothing about the guy so can you see him figuring at all? and who for? or will he be confined to a year of Carling cup action as he's so young?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

I dunno, I think Denilson is more or less ready. Song and Djourou would be able deputies. Maybe signing someone like Raul Albiol who can play CB and DM would provide insurance.

I think the more important issues are replacing Hleb, Adebayor and sorting out central defence. Of the players we've been linked to recently, I'd be happy with the following this summer:

Out
    Lehmann, Flamini, Hleb, Adebayor, Gilberto

In:
    Vela, Ramsey, Nasri, Bischoff, Arshavin, Santa Cruz, Albiol.

With the reported money being touted for Arshavin, I doubt we will see him in an Arsenal jersey. Would be worried about this Bischoff guy...seems very injury prone and for someone his age he has not played many first team football.

From that list of In's the only defensive player is Albiol, so would prefer another one...maybe Song as CB as he played in the last few games of the season is the option he is going with....

Ramsey looks a decent prospect, kind of a Giggs type who can also play the same position as Cesc...so may give Cesc the rest needed throughout the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Denilson looked like he'd gone backwards last season. And I couldn't imagine Alex Song being 3rd choice centre mid for any of the other top teams in Europe. Gilberto would be a very handy player to hang on to, and if he stayed then I think cm would not be a priority for a new signing. If he goes then they've got to get somebody with a bit of experience in there.

Suppose there's also Diaby. He's never impressed but then again, Flamini hadn't before last season either. I'd be happy enough with Cesc, Gilberto, Diaby and Denilson. Ramsey probably won't get much of a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Out of our current crop of midfielers I think Diaby is best option for DM (assuming Gilberto leaves). When he is put in the holding position he looks solid. h eonly plays poorly when out of position ie: being put on the wing. With the emergance of Vela and Walcott we shouldn't need to put Diaby on a wing. Especially if Rosicky gets fit and we bring in a replacement for Hleb.
    Similarly I think Eduardo is poor playing left wing but very good when allowed to play up top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I think a slightly more polished Diaby would be more suited to replacing Hleb than playing as a defensive midfielder - I don't think DM is where his skills lie at all really. Denilson and Fabregas as a combination could work - they each work back and can each contribute to the passing football that Wenger wants to hit teams with.

As for Song, Wenger's on record as saying that he sees him as a centre back and I think he'll take over the 'first cover' role next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

RTE have €15 mil for hleb and say it's a done deal
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0710/arsenal.html

Hopefully we get Nasri now

i'd actually love to see Diaby and Denilson both get a chance to make that midfield position their own. while I know the team lacks experience in midfield, at the same time you can't keep signing players over them. someday you're gonna have to take a punt on them. I'd be happy enough personally if no one was signed for CM because i do rate those two. Give them the first half of the season to make it their own, and if it backfires get someone in in Jan.

i'd prefer Denilson though as the holding replacement over Diaby. he strikes me as being slightly more dynamic and a more direct replacement of Flamini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

sure Hleb is worth more than £11-12m?!:confused:

Figures for Hleb vary from £11 to £15m. Not a great deal either way but I suppose it is possible that the spectre of the Webster clause is a factor.

Diaby certainly looks better centrally but he's never for a second looked like a DM to me. He's good at bringing the ball forward and looks suited to playing as the offensive half of a CM pairing but he doesn't appear to have the mobility, tenacity or defensive smarts to play the defensive role. Song, Denilson and Djourou, whose natural position is as a DM, are much better suited as far as I'm concerned.

Re: Denilson, he was injured for most of last season and looked good at the end when he got a few games. Produced a couple of outstanding cameos in his debut season as a teenager, got injured, lost form and then started being doubted in his second season. He's got unquestionable ability, a great attitude and is a strong personality. He's the next Clichy. Wait and see!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    sure Hleb is worth more than £11-12m?!:confused:

not really. he doesn't score enough. one of my favourite players, he's so technically gifted, and i'll be sad to see him leave, but he never developed into the player Arsenal thought they were buying. he rarely controls games like a player of his ability should, doesn't make his mark enough imo. He's capable of it no doubt, but there's something wrong in his attitude.

not really. he doesn't score enough. one of my favourite players, he's so technically gifted, and i'll be sad to see him leave, but he never developed into the player Arsenal thought they were buying. he rarely controls games like a player of his ability should, doesn't make his mark enough imo. He's capable of it no doubt, but there's something wrong in his attitude.

He's also not going to get in the first 11 for Barca.

I know teams play with big squads these days but Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc are all ahead of him.

Unless him improves quickly, I can see him going the same way as Gudjohnnson and Guily

gosplan wrote: »
    He's also not going to get in the first 11 for Barca.

I know teams play with big squads these days but Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc are all ahead of him.

Unless him improves quickly, I can see him going the same way as Gudjohnnson and Guily

indeed. but the weird thing is is that he seems happy at this. some of the quotes attributed to him sound like a player who doesn't really give a sh*t and just wants a nice cushy number. I know they can't be trusted to be fully accurate, especially with translation, but i always though Hleb had a lot more to offer. now it seems like he's reached his peak, mentally. i'd be happy to take the money and run now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Anybody else fed up with all this transfer window nonsense? I think it's made all the worse by the fact that I know we have to improve the squad with about 3-4 players, with no departures or have a virtually injury free season in order to win trophies! Fingers crossed Arsene has a few tricks up his sleeve a la Sagna & Eduardo (maybe not as successful, but I wudn't mind a few unknowns to bulk up the squad).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah its annoying before it was only just 1 player, and Ade and hleb have really dissapointed me.

• Advertisement

Happens when you don't win anything in three years.

Finally Hooray !!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7462281.stm

Welcome and lets hope we will see you score and perform for the Gooners :)

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Finally Hooray !!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7462281.stm

Welcome and lets hope we will see you score and perform for the Gooners :)

Yeah, it's good to see:

nasri_samir3.jpg

Then again, I we have been waiting for this for quite some time! Only 3-4 more needed now :rolleyes:

So if we assume that Ade leaves and someone like Falcao, who's mentioned today, comes in.

That would give us an attacking line up of:

Deep breath.....

Fabregas, Rosicky, Diaby, Walcott, Vela, Nasri, Van Persie, Eduardo, Bendtner, Falcao.

10 players for five places - that's a hell of a lot of attacking strength.

that only dawn on you now? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nasri is a very good signing because it finally replaces your over reliance on Fabregas. No surprise to me that Fabregas was the best player in the premiership at the start of the year, but as he had to play every single game, he got more and more tired. Wenger was unable to rest him because Arsenal just didn't perform as well without him.
    Nasri means that Wenger can rest Fabregas, which means you get not only Nasri, but a full strength Fabregas for the entire season.

If Arsenal can keep Abedabyour, or else replace him with a similar target man, they've only gotten better this year.
    Hleb was amazing, amazing, but it just didn't produce goals.

Flamini was good, but imo overrated. Very replaceable, maybe by Diabi, maybe by somebody brought in.

IMO all Arsenal need now is some more cover in defence, 2 squad defenders even, especially RB, and replacing Flamini, and if they lose nobody else, they'll be right up there again this season.

that only dawn on you now? :)

No, I'm just really looking forward to the start of the season and seeing what this team can do.

Also, I don't think Ade would be such a big loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

So if we assume that Ade leaves and someone like Falcao, who's mentioned today, comes in.

One quote from Falcao in that link doesn't actually inspire confidence:

"I can guarantee my financial future. The Premier League is sensational."

Couldn't he at least pretend that it isn't all about money?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That would give us an attacking line up of:

Deep breath.....

Fabregas, Rosicky, Diaby, Walcott, Vela, Nasri, Van Persie, Eduardo, Bendtner, Falcao.

and dont forget Ramsey, paid £5m for a 17 year old who only played in 17 championship games last season, must be decent.

• Advertisement

Setanta have released the 1st set of fixtures

http://sports.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/11/Live-Setanta-fixtures/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football/

We get to see the Fulham, Newcastle, Bolton and Hull games there before the end of Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

PDN wrote: »
    One quote from Falcao in that link doesn't actually inspire confidence:

"I can guarantee my financial future. The Premier League is sensational."

Couldn't he at least pretend that it isn't all about money?

i know you would have to wonder how commited a palyer is after a comment like that.

Indie18 wrote: »
    i know you would have to wonder how commited a palyer is after a comment like that.

I think we might be being a bit hard on him here.

If this works out for him, then he and his whole family are sorted for life.

I know we all love the beautiful game but for South Americans and Africans, Europe transfers spell big money and an end to poverty.

You could look at it the other way. He's saying that 'if I arrive my financial future will be sorted', therefore he's less likely to pull an Adebayor as he'll be satisfied.

Not that I believe that but you know what I mean.

When kids show promise in Ireland we think about the national team. When kids show promise in a country where the average wage is like $6,700 per anum and the average premiership wage is 10K per week, it's a different story.

of course, he may turn out to be a greedy git but it was just one comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's not less or more committed than any other player, he's just not bull****ting you.

I think we might be being a bit hard on him here.

indeed. for all we know he may have been directly asked something along those lines or coerced by the journo.

reading up on this guy I found on wikipedia that he has 38 goals in 58 appearences for River. Don't know how reliable that is, but if true it's some scoring record.

indeed. for all we know he may have been directly asked something along those lines or coerced by the journo.

reading up on this guy I found on wikipedia that he has 38 goals in 58 appearences for River. Don't know how reliable that is, but if true it's some scoring record.

I'd say it's fairly reliable, but that is only his league record...Wikipedia don't count Cup & League Cup goals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Woah shock signing of the summer for sure!...thank christ thats over anyway. Now get some defenders!

jasonorr wrote: »
    nasri_samir3.jpg

Is that his younger 13 year old brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Would be interesting if their is any truth in it...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1413699.ece

doubt there is any truth in it, tho IMO it would cost 15m and Hoyte (although Finnan suggested in the Pool deal IMO is as good as hoyte despite the age dif) as apposed to pools 16m+ & Finnan for Arsenal to get Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arshavin is desperate to come here and we might take Barry from under the noses of the pool. If they come off I will be a happy man. Go Arsenal.

• Advertisement

would be revenge for Liverpool stealing Babel last year

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Birmingham press and radio are going big on the story too so I'd say there's definitely something in it...

As a Villa fan myself, I think most Villa fans would be happy to see Barry join Arsenal... We're not gonna be able to hang onto him, so we'd much rather see him join ye than Liverpool. Think O'Neill might do aswell after the way Liverpool have conducted themselves throughout the whole saga to date... and we've a better chance of catching Liverpool than we do Arsenal. Barry to Arsenal would be the IDEAL conclusion to the whole thing.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Your right there wynters. I am sure the two clubs could come to some sort of an agreement and you may get as well a couple of good young Gunners who O'Neill could really mold into the team for the future.

tbh I think there is nothing in it myself but would like it to be true, the tabloids are just trying to spice up the Barry saga by using Arsenal. although he would do well at the Emirates if for some reason Arsene suddenly decided to pay over the odd's for an English player who isnt a teenager

Wenger poised for Arshavin!

reubenduffy2923ay5.jpg

:D

Arsebloger said milan were offering 16M + gourcuff for ade.

Arsebloger said milan were offering 16M + gourcuff for ade.

Yeah that's all over the shop. Wenger rates him apparently, but Milan seem pretty keen to offload him. he has two years left on his contract apparently, and a loan deal has already been done with Bordeaux so he wont arrive at the Emirates until July 2009. So assuming there's some element of truth in those reports Wenger's dropped €15 million off the asking price for a fringe player with only a year left on his contract. seems a strange deal to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Not totally Arsenal related, I'm just surprised that Winterburn will be working with Ince, always thought there was no love lost between the majority of Arsenal players and Ince.
    Former Arsenal full-back Nigel Winterburn is to join manager Paul Ince's backroom team at Blackburn to work as defensive coach.

Full link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/7505186.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There is no way we can get Arshavin. Barcelona have stated they are having trouble matching his wage demands. What hope for us then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Galvasean wrote: »
    There is no way we can get Arshavin. Barcelona have stated they are having trouble matching his wage demands. What hope for us then?
    Agreed - but if we can get a full season (or close enough) from Rosicky, I don't think he'll be needed...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement