Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

only 40 mins for baptista deal now as it as to be sorted by 12 in spain or 11 here

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Argghhh if this deal goes south AGAIN I'll lose the plot! Apparently they are still arguing over Baptista's valuation, they've agreed €22m for Reyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

It'll work out, dont worry ;)

10.34pm The swap deal involving Reyes and Baptista has been confirmed. Reyes is quoted as saying: "I've just signed and I'm the happiest man in the world." He clearly hasn't heard how happy Glenn Roeder is that he's snuffled Sibierski.
    Woo!
    ARSENAL: The first edition of The Sun has arrived at 2230 and it claims that Arsenal have accepted a deal of £5m plus William Gallas for Ashley Cole from Chelsea.
    We've been shafted if the fee is only £5m, but I suspect it isn't considering that the source is the sun.

Where are you getting this from pepe?

Is there a live ticker somewhere??

Sun reporting £5M plus Gallas for Cole...?

Bit cheap no?

Edit: Missed that part of your post above :o

The beast is on the way..

Real Madrid have announced the one-season loan signing of Jose Antonio Reyes from Arsenal, with Julio Baptista joining the Gunners from Real on the same terms.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

5 million is a bit cheap. Put another 10 on there and it would be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

maybe a little cheap considering circumstances, but in terms of players worth

I'd put Gallas at the 9-12m mark,

and Cashley at 15-18m so not really at that much of a loss IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hmmm 9-12 million for a 30 year old defender is a lot!
    Id vaule him at 5
    Didnt chelsea bid 19?

So about 14 million is about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus great news about Júlio "The Beast" Baptista joining and that whinger going to Real.

And then I see Cygan is gone too fecking hell this is dreamland...

Now just Cashley to sort out, well if they don't he can rot on the bench until Jan, that will learn him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Gallas (he's 29) is easily worth 10mil. Gallas + 10mil for Cole would be a good deal, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Gallas is worth about 5 million.
    Cole at least 20 million.
    If Chelsea do that deal it will the deal of the century.
    Arsenal are going to be very short at the back now that Cygan's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

jank wrote:
    5 million is a bit cheap. Put another 10 on there and it would be right.

5 million plus Gallas..one of the best centre halfs in the world..its a brilliant deal consideing cole the twat always wanted to leave..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

http://www.chelseafc.com/index.asp

So Chelsea are saying this has gone through, although there's no joint statement on there. I would seriously doubt it's for gallas + 5 million though.

****in hell, it's on bbc now. They're saying it's £5m too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/5297616.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

YESSSSS!!!! adda boy Wenger:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

great night made even better when i saw that Cygan was gone and for £2 million :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

IMO, 5 mill is a bit on the cheap side when you take their ages into a/c. But overall I think it's great business for Arsenal, who would have ever dreamed that someone would pay 2 mill for Cygan :eek:

So that's 7 mill cash in hand, the Beast and Gallas in exchange for 2 whingers who would probably have brought the moral in the camp down and one of the worst defenders in Arsenals squad. Very nicely done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'm very happy with the nights transfers, two very good players brought in, who are very adaptible and flexible to the squad, in exchange for two players who hadn't the heart for the Arsenal any more plus we sold a donkey for 2million.

Its also been reported that we bought a Brazilian by the name of Denilson for £4million, hes the u21 captain of Brazil - some hectic day that yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I've gotta say i'm happy with getting Gallas, but Chelsea did get cole a little too cheap, wasn't Gallas in the last year of his current deal??
    As for Cole, i don't mind him going at all, if Clichy can stay fit he can be every bit as good as Cole.

• Advertisement

Happy enough with the new look squad. Cole's transfer fee wasn't enough and I think Arsenal can only blame themselves for that if they really did turn down offers of £20m cash previously for him this summer. This year's back 4 of Clichy, Toure, Gallas, Lauren/Eboue is better than last years. Arsenal now have 2 excellent centre backs and Cole hardly played last year anyway so I don't think Arse will miss him all that much, especially if Clichy can stay fit.

My only problem is that for once Arsenal are a bit light on the wing with just the out of form Ljunberg, Hleb, Rosicky who isn't even a winger and the 17 yr old Walcott. One more quality winger and I'd be very happy with the team. All in all not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wow, kudus to Wenger if he did land Denilson - another wonderkid - big things are expected of him. And i hear is only to rise to 4mil, dependant on appearances, performances, etc... I guess he'll take over from Gilberto in time.

I think Denilson was in the Sau Paulo team that played Liverpool in the FIFA Club Final last year.

This year's back 4 of Clichy, Toure, Gallas, Lauren/Eboue is better than last years.

Eh ye forgot big Philly Style Senderos. At last a bit of competition for Toure and Phil, as Sol hadn't bothered in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Great night, still a bit shellshocked over the west ham signings. Last thing i read before i logged off wednesday night was MSI was meeting in london. woke up, icked up the indo read that Tevez and mascha were heading to us, got my cornflakes, logged on wnet to skysports.com and proceeded to spit my conrflakes over the keyboard. some coup for west ham.

Delighted to be rid of cole, sad it was to them, but gallas in return is great. 5m is 5m, could've been worse. finally got baptista, it'll be interesting to see where he plays. i was going to say Tevez and mascha was the greatest transfer coup, but getting 2m for cygan is the greatest coup ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Great nite!!!! :D getting rid of cole who never whated to be there and getting in Gallas,chelsea best defender :D toure and gallas WOW what pace and Senderos backing them up. finally got baptista too pace and power and well able to finish, never hit top form with real but was class at sevilla, i just hope he plays him up front with Henry, what a front two!!!! and cygan gone for 2 million i thought it was a free transfer when i first heard he was gone. and this Denilson kid sounds like a very good player, we do look a little short left wing thou!!!! my only concern, otherwise brillant

• Advertisement

On 24-7 arsenal forum one guy said his cousin gave him a ring to say that a player from west-ham was coming down for a medical. it was probably just a smoke screen but there was strong rumour linking arsenal to benayoun or reo-coker. nevertheless it never materialised. Perhaps it was this denilson dude too. hope he doesnt flop like 'the other denilson' did at betis.

Personally i thought arsenal should have maybe got 10m + gallas at least but knowing good ol arsenal they probably put a clause in his contract that they get a chunk if he evrer leaves chelsea in the near future like they did with pennant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

didnt see this anywhere, so
    Arsenal sign Brazilian defender
    Arsenal have paid Sao Paulo £3.4m for 18-year-old midfielder Denilson, acccording to the Brazilian club.

Denilson has made 12 appearances for Sao Paulo and is captain of the Brazil Under-19 team.

"The English club has paid US$6.5m (£3.4m) to sign the Sao Paulo player," reported the Brazilian club's website.

The deal for Denilson, who played against Liverpool in the 2005 Fifa World Club championship, is subject to international clearance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/5307504.stm

Work permits a worry, but if song can get an exceptional talent work permit, he should get it no problem.

I wonder was the Japanese striker signed also?

Very pleased about this Denilson news - I know nothing about him, but if he's a highly rated DM then it can be no bad thing. The only young DMs Arsenal have coming through the ranks really are Song and Muamba (and Flamini, but he's more of a box-to-box midfielder), and I don't really see either of them setting the world alight.

Two unhappy, lightweight wide players gone and two heavyweight central players in, excellent. Hopefully 'La Bestia' can settle in quickly because with Henry off form, Adebayor Adebayor, and Van Persie luckless, someone needs to start putting the ball in the net. I think this could mark a return to the Arsenal 4-4-1-1, hopefully Baptista can finally replace Bergkamp. Totally different players obviously, but some of Bergkamp's role has been taken over by Fabregas anyway - If the Beast can provide a bit of Vieira's power and drive in the centre as well as goals, I'll be delighted.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=413492&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Arsenal+swoop+for+Brazil+Under-19+skipper

He's gone straight onto the First Team squad page on Arsenal.com. A lot of people seem to reckon he'll leapfrog Song's place in the pecking order.

// EDIT - speaking of young Arsenal players, Bendtner scored again for Denmark there in the 4-2 win over Portugal. 2 sub appearances, 2 goals. Good lad.

Yeah himself and larsson are playing out of their skins with birmingham at the moment. oohh Gallas got 3 and baptista got 9, thats it Beast 9 on the back of the away kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

O.K. so with all fit what's the first team?

I'd go with...

Mad Jens
    Eboue/Toure/Gallas/Clichy
    Cesc/Gilberto/Rosicky/Hleb
    Henry/Baptista

Very hard to keep Lauren/Senderos/Walcott/Van Perise and probably soon Denilson out though. Not so sure about Ljundberg, IMO he hasn't been that brilliant over the last year or so.

I do think that something else is planned for Baptista however. Wenger tried to buy him 4 or 5 times from Seville and I think he sees something that he can exploit in him. Possibly with his size and skill he could become the defensive midfielder supreme.
    I'm quite confident that in a few years 'Baptista and 3 million for Reyes' might well be one of the pieces of evidence thrown out there when people are talking about Arsne's ability to find great deals.

2 games down in the league so nothing done yet really. it might just get really intresting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

In my books, Baptista is an infinitely better player than Reyes. To get 3m and him for Reyes is great business. Not overly sure what your best starting XI would be, however. Gallas could well find himself a fullback again, if Senderos proves better than Clichy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I still think Eboue is a liabilty. He's not even that great going forward imo. More often than not he races thru and his final ball is cack. Either he lumps into the box where Arse don't have anyone or takes a touch too many or else he goes for shot from the tightest angle. He should concentrate on his defending a bit more. Arseanl are get proper ****ed on the right hand side if he keeps getting a Roberto Carlos complex. More damage than good that boy.

Arsenal are short on wingers alright and i'd like to see a decent understudy to Lehman come in...Richard Wright anyone? anyone? anyone? Bewlier?

An odd one, on the players list Gallas is showing as No.3 same on the premier league site, however in the online shop, its showing Gallas 10 on the drop down menu fo what name you want. Apparently Gallas 10 shirts are in the windows at the shop at the grove too.

• Advertisement

Very odd, never going to happen because he simply is nowhere near good enough but still odd. Poor guy seems to think he has a future at Arsenal too.

Very odd, never going to happen because he simply is nowhere near good enough but still odd. Poor guy seems to think he has a future at Arsenal too.
    hahaha good old Manuel, doing his best to replace Zinedine Cygan as the resident Arsenal comedy act!
    An odd one, on the players list Gallas is showing as No.3 same on the premier league site, however in the online shop, its showing Gallas 10 on the drop down menu fo what name you want. Apparently Gallas 10 shirts are in the windows at the shop at the grove too.
    Arsenal.com displays #10 now too. That is so very, very wrong. I suppose immediately giving the shirt to a CB will remove the pressure from the next attacker who eventually takes the number, but it still isn't right.

"They" are after bendtner now apparently. Ok it's the mirror, but nothing would surprise me now.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=17699992%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=bendtner%2dbid%2dcould%2dspark%2dnew%2djose%2dfeud%2d-name_page.html

Arnesen must have the most pointless job ever, all they have to do is watch how other teams scouts get on then outbid them, or let the player know they were pressurised into signing and should sign for "them" instead on the basis of "them" holding the moral highground.

Arsenal to wear a one/off special yellow jersy tonight, a collectors item.

Trilla wrote:
    Arsenal to wear a one/off special yellow jersy tonight, a collectors item.
    ...? Why?
    Arsène Wenger has revealed that Cesc Fabregas is on the verge of signing a new eight-year contract at Arsenal.

“He will sign a new contract yes,” said Wenger on the eve of the trip to Hamburg.

“He is 19. He signed a contract [some time ago] but that was agreed before with his initial contract. The real new contract comes now.

“Nineteen plus eight is 27. Not many [contracts] are longer but when you are 19 years-old and are already a regular player in the team [then] I don’t have a problem.

“I am delighted because he signed for Real Madrid a few months ago,” Wenger joked. “It is a wonderful commitment from him and it is a reward for us because we brought him over at 16 years of age. It shows you can give a young player the culture of this Club.”
    ahahaha, yesssss! :) Eight more years, eight more years...!

good news but am i the only one who thinks that contracts mean **** all in football these days?

Nope, it's the personality that matters, and Cesc's got the right one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

...? Why?

Some silly UEFA or FIFA rule that states a company can't sponsor more than 1 team at an event, so Arsenal will have Dubai as their sponsors tonight!

can someone tell me what was wrong that Henry didnt play?

• Advertisement

foot injury

what crossed my mind was resting him for Sunday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement