Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Screen issues with new development environment

Options
  • 18-05-2006 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi

I work with a web development team of about 7 people and we all have recently changed to working from a central development server to working on our local machines.

We have installed 3 new items locally
    -ColdFusion MX7
    -TrueCrypt (encypted virtual drive for security purposes)
    -SVN

However 4 out of the 7 of us are expeicing hardware issues with blue screen error messages happening us one by one.....so much so my laptop has had to be sent back to manufacturers

All machines are of similar speck, 1GB RAM 80GB drives , XP Pro , IIS etc

Has anybody else had similar problems as this is crashing our machines now at a worrying rate. Also please note that the people who's machines havent yet had vlue screens are the ones who shut down their machines the least (i.e once every two weeks+)

Any info/links appreciated

Thanks

RB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Can you provide the message reported on the bluescreen?
    Or a windows minidump file?

My Computer/Properties/
    In the resulting System properties dialog, choose advanced tab
    Startup and recovery settings

This dialog can pause the bluescreen, giving time to jot down the error.
    It also tells you where the minidump files are created. These can be run through dumpchk ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315271/ )
    to give details on the error.

As an offhand guess, of the three pieces of software listed, the virtual drive is the more likely candidate to be responsible. But more info needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭reallybad

ressem wrote:
    Can you provide the message reported on the bluescreen?
    Or a windows minidump file?

My Computer/Properties/
    In the resulting System properties dialog, choose advanced tab
    Startup and recovery settings

This dialog can pause the bluescreen, giving time to jot down the error.
    It also tells you where the minidump files are created. These can be run through dumpchk ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315271/ )
    to give details on the error.

As an offhand guess, of the three pieces of software listed, the virtual drive is the more likely candidate to be responsible. But more info needed.

My machine has gone back to manufacturer however this is the link i was given
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=b1458e91-1b8c-4fec-b118-c91f322dce03&SID=685
    The dialogs are different most times for different people.
    yeah we thought the virtual drive would be the cause excepy that my machine crashed on numerous occasions when the software was not even activated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Yep, the bluescreen and dump should provide the name of the dll/sys which was responsible.

These low level programs like virtual drives, cd burning, antivirus, video drivers can have all sorts of hooks which can be triggered by all sorts of seemingly unrelated programs. So being inactive doesn't necessarily rule it out.

Any chance of getting the minidump from some of the other 3 laptops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Yeah bluescreens are nearly always device drivers. Did you uninstall TrueCrypt from one of the laptops to see if it stopped crashing?

Suprised the manufacturer took back the laptop for what seems to be a software issue, especially if 3 people are having the same issue..

Advertisement