Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would Chelsea be.....

• 18-05-2006 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

If Abromovich not bought them??

Would thy be title challengers? would thy be in the CL? would thy have any of the players thy do now?

IMO if he hadnt poured so much money into Chelsea thy might be pushing for 4th spot!

Robben, Essien would be Man Utd players, Duff would prob be with Liverpool, Drogba wouldnt even be in the country, Ballack would have joined Real Madrid, SWP would be going to the world cup instead of warming Chelsea's bench each week, and the transfer market would be so different to todays!

Another question would Lampard or Terry have hung around had Chlsea not been winning titles????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

they would just be challenging for a champions league spot.
    the transfer market would be completly different as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

jobonar wrote:
    Another question would Lampard or Terry have hung around had Chlsea not been winning titles????
    Well Lampard didn't grow up at Chelsea like Terry, was he there before the spending started? My memory's gone.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well Lampard didn't grow up at Chelsea like Terry, was he there before the spending started? My memory's gone.....

Lampard and Terry where there, thing is that Chelsea at the stage when the russian took over where million in dept and would of had to start selling players, they where in the exact position Leeds where in only Leeds never got a russian billionaire to take over the club. If Roman hadnt taken over all of the Chelsea assets(players to you and me) would have been sold so they could be in the Championship at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

jobonar wrote:
    Lampard would not be anywhere near as highly rated if Chelsea were the inconsistant team that he first joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Big Nelly wrote:
    Lampard and Terry where there, thing is that Chelsea at the stage when the russian took over where million in dept and would of had to start selling players, they where in the exact position Leeds where in only Leeds never got a russian billionaire to take over the club. If Roman hadnt taken over all of the Chelsea assets(players to you and me) would have been sold so they could be in the Championship at this stage

Interesting comment Big Nelly. Chelsea were never a team that were on the up but i would never have thought that thy would be in a relegation fight but now that ya have said that it is quite possible because chelsea had quite and old team with no money and no prospects to replace them and would have had to go into major debt to keep going...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

jobonar wrote:
    Interesting comment Big Nelly. Chelsea were never a team that were on the up but i would never have thought that thy would be in a relegation fight but now that ya have said that it is quite possible because chelsea had quite and old team with no money and no prospects to replace them and would have had to go into major debt to keep going...

They where in dept, the summer when he took over Claudio had been told there was no money in the club to buy new players, it was then leaked to the press they had depts of about 40 million from what I can remember......soon after Roman bought the club

eirebhoy wrote:
    Lampard would not be anywhere near as highly rated if Chelsea were the inconsistant team that he first joined.

i agree totally! anyone can look good when they are surrounded by great players! he is good but totally over rated! his only world class quality is his long shots! Gerrard is the far superior player of the 2!

Big Nelly wrote:
    They where in dept, the summer when he took over Claudio had been told there was no money in the club to buy new players, it was then leaked to the press they had depts of about 40 million from what I can remember......soon after Roman bought the club

I didnt actually no thy had been in that much debt!! Jesus what a different world it would be without Roman's billions.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

We are not going down the old and over used path of Gerrard and Lampard now are we!!!

Chelsea were hugely in the red before Roman took over. They would have had to start selling over players and trimming the wage bill to clear some space. Weather or not they would have been relegated is a matter of opinion, personally I don't think so but I do believe that we would be in mid table. The one thing Raneiri was great at was young players and thats what he did at the club so maybe he would have worked with what he had and built a good young team.

jobonar wrote:
    i agree totally! anyone can look good when they are surrounded by great players! he is good but totally over rated! his only world class quality is his long shots! Gerrard is the far superior player of the 2!
    I personally think that if you built a world class team around Kevin Nolan at Bolton he'd probably look as good as Lampard. If you take Nolan out of the current Bolton team and into a team of superstars he'd probably fail though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

eirebhoy wrote:
    I personally think that if you built a world class team around Kevin Nolan at Bolton he'd probably look as good as Lampard. If you take Nolan out of the current Bolton team and into a team of superstars he'd probably fail though. :)
    I personally don't believe you can buil;d a team around one particular player...sort of defeats the term "team".

So what happens if this player gets injured long term? Does the team fall apart?

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I personally don't believe you can buil;d a team around one particular player...sort of defeats the term "team".

So what happens if this player gets injured long term? Does the team fall apart?
    I didn't mean it like that. If say a billionaire took over Bolton and brought in a load of the best in the world but kept Nolan in the team, I think Nolan would be doubling his goals and assists and look better overall. If he joined Real Madrid he would probably fail to impress though. I'm totally lost now and haven't a clue what I'm getting at... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

jobonar wrote:
    If Abromovich not bought them??

Would thy be title challengers? would thy be in the CL? would thy have any of the players thy do now?

I think its very likely that Chelsea would have been relegated and possibly drop down more than one division, since the pitch is owned by the fans I don't know if the stadium could be sold off , but we would certainly have lost all our "stars" and have to get used to the idea of playing Wycombe and Preston again instead of Barcelona and Bayern. Chelsea still have a large enough fan base to keep a good 1st division team afloat.

This is a totally pointless thread that will no doubt degenerate into more anti-chelsea / abramovich mafia / ruination of football / devil incarnate etc. rants from the usual Man Usa / Pool/ Arse brigades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

They'd have probably gone into administration and been relegated from the EPL. Also would have had to sell off most of their players. IIRC they were only a few months from this happening when they were bought by the russians.

They would be a solid chamionship side I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

growler wrote:
    I think its very likely that Chelsea would have been relegated and possibly drop down more than one division, since the pitch is owned by the fans I don't know if the stadium could be sold off , but we would certainly have lost all our "stars" and have to get used to the idea of playing Wycombe and Preston again instead of Barcelona and Bayern. Chelsea still have a large enough fan base to keep a good 1st division team afloat.

This is a totally pointless thread that will no doubt degenerate into more anti-chelsea / abramovich mafia / ruination of football / devil incarnate etc. rants from the usual Man Usa / Pool/ Arse brigades.
    Well it's not gonna come from chelsea fans. It's a fact that chelsea benifited from all the squillians so you are right, this is a pointless thread. No football team can dominate without lots of money, it's been proven time and time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Chelsea would still be one of the better sides in the PL but they certainly wouldnt be having the success they are now having. They alo certianly wouldnt have the fan base that they now have either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Also where would Chelsea be if Scholes goal vs Porto hadn't been wrongly ruled out for offside. Porto wins CL - Moany moves to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

What would it be like if Ireland qualified for the world cup??
    Imagine ronaldhino and Mesi, oh and Henry played for Shamrock Rovers.

The truth of it is, Its all pie in the sky and can only serve the begrudgers of chelsea's success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

IIRC Terry was all set to sign for Crystal Palce in the same deal that brought Danny Granville about 5 years or so ago to Selhurst Park. And when Lampard first arrived he was in and out of the team and people were wondering what the fuss was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm sure Chelsea were closer to £80 million in debt before Roman arrived and Terry was possibly on his way to Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

blu_sonic wrote:
    The truth of it is, Its all pie in the sky and can only serve the begrudgers of chelsea's success.

One of the best quotes i've ever seen on boards. Thank you sonic.
    when Lampard first arrived he was in and out of the team and people were wondering what the fuss was.

Actually when we bought Lamps for 10m the abuse and slags we got for wasting 10m on him. Van Bronkhorst was for sale that summer as well and I got ripped apart by my mates for stupid Chelsea going for Lampard and not Gio. They have since retracted all of those slaggings.

Also Rollo JT was going to move to Palace. This was because Gullit didn't like him and wanted to sell him. Thank god he was sacked, Vialli given the job and he then gave JT his debut. The rest is history.

Advertisement