Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASDL and Phone extensions

• 18-05-2006 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I am getting sky + installed, which requires me to have a phone line in 2 boxes for multiroom.

I currently have the main phone point in the house, this is then split with an asdl splitter the phone line downstairs and an extension runs up stairs to serve the asdl.

My question is if i use the extension upstairs to carry a normal line and put the asdl splitter in at the other side, ie upstairs, to serve both my router and my sky box would this work ok? There is no degradation i would need to worry about?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here but here's how it needs to work. The DSL splitter consists of two output ports. One is labeled DSL, which is unfiltered, and the other labeled phone, which is filtered. All phones and Sky boxes need to be connected to the phone line through a filter. The DSL modem connectes directly to the phoneline, (the unfiltered side of the splitter).

Your upstairs extension is currently unfiltered so you can connect this to the DSL modem, right?. If you split this line further to connect it to the Sky box then you need to use a filter on the Sky box.

If you move the splitter from the main phone socket to the end of the extension line upstairs then you can't use the phone downstairs, unless you put a filter on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

My question is if i use the extension upstairs to carry a normal line and put the asdl splitter in at the other side, ie upstairs, to serve both my router and my sky box would this work ok? There is no degradation i would need to worry about?
    It will work fine except that your downstairs phone (if I read it right) would then be un-filtered.

It would still be usable but there will be a nasty hiss on it.

You can get filters from Komplett for €5 (+€11 shipping:rolleyes: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Thanks guys, that's the answer i was hoping for, i have 2 filters at home anyway so i can sort that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

ASDL and Phone extensions
    ASDL? Are you sure you've got one of these?
    ASDL.jpg

:)

Advertisement