Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch4 viewing card and sky box

• 18-05-2006 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭

Friend of mine is looking to get a blue viewing card off ebay to watch Big Brother, her sly box has one slot for viewing card and one for interactive, so I take it she will have to swap cards when she wants to watch C4, I have heard when you do this the software on the box changes and it takes a few minutes and when you put the irish sly card in it takes a few minutes to update again, just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

Thanks

Snake ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, you have to swap cards depending on what you want to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Is there any problem with doing this? Does it damage the box or anything?

Thanks

Snake ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Uhm, it's debateable. Generally, you should be OK, but I'd imagine prolonged changing could affect the contacts and switch within the card reader.

Watty could possibly offer better information on this than I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I swap my cards at times but I have ch4 and Ch5 in other channels, I only insert the FTV card then, it just feels safer and more rapid when you want to watch someting quick.

When I want to put the sub card back, I just go to TV guide and wait.

Just make sure when you put in your ftv card that the phone line is plugged out, or sky will zap the card on you.

Also It may be worthwhile to put the card in at times when your not using the tv (with the phone line out) as sometimes the card can become dead, due to it not getting the new keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The switch at back to detect if card inserted wears out and and the cards can. The actual chip reading contacts would last better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

byte wrote:
    Uhm, it's debateable. Generally, you should be OK, but I'd imagine prolonged changing could affect the contacts and switch within the card reader.

Put the UK card in your digibox and get a rabbit ears in that €2 for everything shop for irish channels. You're not going to get Ch6 or City Channel anyway.

Advertisement