Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband slow over wireless

• 18-05-2006 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have BT Broadband with a wireless Zyxel router. When i connect directly to the router my connection is 100%. When i use wireless my connection is terrible. I get an ip Address and can Ping the router, the wireless connection tells me im getting 54MB/S. Is there anything i need to change on the router for a better connection?

X.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I have exactly the same problem. Anyone care to help us??
    S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

54MB/s is the faster a wireless router can give. 54MB/s is considerably faster than your internet connection so it is fine.

I've got 100mbps from Wireless Networks before, is this different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭xabi

The wireless connection is fine, thats not the issue, its the broadband connection via wireless thats slow. Some pages wont open, otheres take ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Have you got IPV6 installed? Ive seen problems like this before where uninstalling IPV6 has solved the problem.

Click Start -> Run -> cmd (enter)
    c:\> ipv6 uninstall (enter)

reboot and see if its sorted, you dont need IPV6 anyway.. (yet)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What wireless cards are you using? would any of your neighbours have a wireless network? download netstumbler and see what is going on around you

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ If there are any wireless networks showing make sure you are not using the same channel.

How far are you from the modem? the performance of wireless equipment varies enormously depending on location thickness of walls etc etc - any dect phones in the area?

If you are able to bring the modem nearer to the computer or vice versa does the performance improve?

I did notice an eircom router being picked up and i have a DECT base beside the router, will try the suggestions.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

slumped wrote:

You previously had 100mbps from THIS wireless connection or you had it before from A wireless connection???

As far as I know, the BT wireless router only operates at 802.11g == 54mbps max.

therefore 54mbps=100%=100% wired connectivity.

L.

slumped wrote:

I'd be surprised. Are you sure?

I had Cisco Aeronet wireless network in work, speed was 100mbps.

THe fastest I am getting on BT xyzel is 54mbps.

I also have a neighbour on a wireless network, this could be a problem if we are on same channels.

Will check

S

• Advertisement

Perhaps a Cisco wireless will give 100MB/s. I guarantee that the one you have at home max speed is 54MB/s. It is a 802.11g router and 54MB/s is its max speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've seen some routers that have some SpeedBoost thingy or something to that effect advertised on it that claimed 108 Mbps connection speeds.

I've seen some routers that have some SpeedBoost thingy or something to that effect advertised on it that claimed 108 Mbps connection speeds.

I've heard about 108MB/s but don't know if it has been released yet. Can't remember what the standard is. Either way, the Zyxel one is not going to be this fast.

paulm17781 wrote:
    I've heard about 108MB/s but don't know if it has been released yet. Can't remember what the standard is. Either way, the Zyxel one is not going to be this fast.

Some manufacturers have introduced faster speeds than the standard 54g in advance of the new standard being agree - linksys netgear for example. Netgear use the 108 figure but for the benefits to be achieved you need compatible equipment from the same manufacturer.

Heres the Netgear range of speeds: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband_routers.php

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk has lots of reviews and information for anyone interested.

It is also generally agreed that the 54g is only nominal anyways and most wireless equipment does not come anywere near that in real day to day situations - read any reviews of the equipment and this point is constantly made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Are you actually comparing this to using the wireless network right beside the router or are you in another room? Cause obviously the connection won't be as good the further you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I have a wireless network on PC with 3 pc's (2 windows one ubuntu linux) (1 laptop with windows) and it works fine. check your antennas and check the location of the router the signal strength is probably low to the router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If I run a speedtest on my laptop the speed shows halfor less of that from my wired pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

108mbps wireless has been around for ages by the way.

If I run a speedtest on my laptop the speed shows halfor less of that from my wired pc.

Is this a cry for help or what???????????????

If you want to improve the performance you have to give more information about your set up - distance from the router etc etc.

For instance if you are fairly far away from the router behind thick walls you might be getting what is considered an excellent performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

108mbps wireless has been around for ages by the way.
    And it usually requires wireless adapters and routers/access points from the same vendors (because it's not a standard, and different vendors have their own proprietary "fast" standards), so it's not available on most laptops with built in wireless.

• Advertisement

I talked to Technical support about this last week, they advised that i reset the line by un-plugging everything for 15 mins. I did this and had a great connection over wireless all that evening. I was gone for the weekend and tried again last night - no joy. I can connect fine with a CAT 5 cable but get limited connection over wireless, i am sitting beside the router, i have disconnected all other phones in the house, the router is plugged into main phone socket, DECT is switched off, using different channel than neighbour, can PING router fine, internet is terrible. BT want me to get a PSTN check done on the line, my point was that surely it would be slow with the CAT 5 cable also if there was a line problem.

xabi wrote:
    I talked to Technical support about this last week, they advised that i reset the line by un-plugging everything for 15 mins. I did this and had a great connection over wireless all that evening. I was gone for the weekend and tried again last night - no joy. I can connect fine with a CAT 5 cable but get limited connection over wireless, i am sitting beside the router, i have disconnected all other phones in the house, the router is plugged into main phone socket, DECT is switched off, using different channel than neighbour, can PING router fine, internet is terrible. BT want me to get a PSTN check done on the line, my point was that surely it would be slow with the CAT 5 cable also if there was a line problem.

You are focussing on the router all the time but what about the performance of what you have connected to it? Is it a laptop or a wireless card in a pc?

If it is a laptop have you checked its performance with any other wireless equipment?

Its a laptop with an Intel Wireless adapter, i use it in work without problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

xabi wrote:
    Its a laptop with an Intel Wireless adapter, i use it in work without problems.

Heres thing i stumbled across when trying to fix a similar issue with my aunts netgear.

List of ppl with these problems.
    http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2005/08/intel_proset_22.html

This mentions intels admission of these faults.
    http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

I updated my aunts intel pro wireless 2200BG and it didnt help.
    Eventually, after pulling my hair out, i called Dell who said they couldnt help!
    Last try and i went to the IBM site and Bingo!

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-54956

So if its a 2200 use these and all will be well.

I think i have solved it, I increased the Power management option on the adapter to its highest level, seems to be working fine.

xabi wrote:
    I think i have solved it, I increased the Power management option on the adapter to its highest level, seems to be working fine.

Just out of interest, as this is the second time I have seen this mentioned as a cure for bad wireless reception recently and two non teccy friends of mine have recently got wireless laptops where is the setting for that?

open Device manager
    Open properties of wireless adapter
    Advanced tab
    Power management

thats for an Intel card, May be slightly different for different cards, but the setting should be in the Wirelass adapters properties.

X.

thats great, thanks.

Advertisement