Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hugh Brady - UCD's Michael O Leary

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If you don't like the interface to UCD connects email, just get it to automatically forward everything to a different email account, that's the way I do it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

or grab it directly:

Server: studentmail.ucd.ie
    Username: contextless username
    Password: connect password (should be sync'd with NDS)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Connect's mail is fine if you have broadband, but on dial-up it's such a headache. The e-mails take forever to come up. I only check it the odd time.

See, for first years everything is now done through connect, so connect mail is so much handier for them than it was for us. In my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

cast_iron wrote:
    Correct you are, but you've just help me make my point - less students sitting LC, but more people applying to UCD.

But I still fail to see what benefit the university derives from increased applications. I fail to see any real benefit from the number of applications received; at best, it boosts image. Since it is only those applicants who are accepted which bring actual benefit to the university, why all the focus on the number of applications received?
    cast_iron wrote:
    Well in certain cases they do. I know of one course that had 70 odd places when i started, it's down to 20 now. And the dept/school doesn't get to keep the money left over. Also, applications are a good thing - more people vying for places - points rise - so do standards!

Points rising does not necessarily mean a higher calibre of student. For a start, the numbers sitting the LC are decreasing atm, but the proportion of higher grades being awarded is static/ increasing. Also, the LC is about regurgitating material learnt by rote, to the extent that my sister who hates Irish and can barely hold a conversation as Gaeilge, managed to get an A1 through learning material she didn't really understand. Yes, she worked hard, but it's not the same thing as sustaining a rational, well-supported argument as is necessary in college exams. So higher points does not automatically correspond to higher standards.
    cast_iron wrote:
    Good point, well made, and i agree. BUT, we are not quite up to Harvard/Oxford standard yet, and along way off it. The modularisation programme is trying to see to this, and it will take time. And speaking on the American system at least, it's ALL about the money. Without it Harvard and the like would be just an average Uni.
    And while on the issue of US colleges, it really brings home how easy we have it over here. A fair entry system - not who you know/how much money you have; free fees (and don't start on "free? i pay for an exam card every year...." ok, sorry, couldn't resist that one.), but we dont come out of college with what is effectively a mortgage!

Free fees have only been in Ireland for about ten years or so, and the universities as a group are of the opinion that standards have regressed as a result. I'm not saying that's my opinion; it's what the universities would prefer.

Oxford and Harvard operate very different academic structures so they're not really comparable to each other. Oxford is less expensive than Harvard and is in many ways superior. This I know only too well, my sis researched doing both her undergrad and postgrad at Oxford. Also, it's not difficult to get into university in America; possibly the Ivy League schools, but there are places for most students who want them. Places usually go by S.A.T. results, not who you know either.

Also, I wasn't going to mention free fees or the extent to which they're 'free'- I'm fortunate enough that both my parents work, and are willing to support me while in college ;) . Having said that, it does cost them quite a lot of money, and not everybody is lucky enough to have parents who can or will support them in the way my parents support me.
    cast_iron wrote:
    Yes, but of course there are areas that can do with improving. I can accept that. You could probably name 10 more areas, as could i name 10 where things have improved. My point is, why knock what's been improved on, even at the expense of a few inconveniences.

This is the difference in our opinions, i don't see the changes Dr Brady has introduced as improvements.

cast_iron wrote:
    I wish you well in them.

Thank you :D

Advertisement