Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatlin's Time Rounded Up

Options
  • 18-05-2006 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Justin Gatlin's time has been rounded up after the timing company discovered the 9.76 was in fact 9.766, which should have been rounded up to 9.77. So now its Gatlin and Powell as joint holders with the race in Gateshead a winner takes all head to head. I think Powell will take him, he has matured in the past two years and if the conditions are right he could even break the record again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tingle wrote:
    Justin Gatlin's time has been rounded up after the timing company discovered the 9.76 was in fact 9.766, which should have been rounded up to 9.77. So now its Gatlin and Powell as joint holders with the race in Gateshead a winner takes all head to head. I think Powell will take him, he has matured in the past two years and if the conditions are right he could even break the record again.

Gatlin's time was always 9.766, as can be seen from the photo-finish. It was rounded the wrong way, along with every other time from that meeting.

I pick Gatlin, as he is the one who has shown maturity, always winning when it counts. I'm not sure about the record going again; the conditions have to be perfect, like Athens and Doha.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

I agree with Slow Coach on this. Record won't be broken in Gateshead unless they get some terribly untypical NE England weather. In the matter of the head to head, I too would plump for Gatlin - Powell hasn't yet convinced me that he has the temperament for the big clashes. Gatlin on the other hand has won Olympic and World titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

The head to head in Gateshead is off but they both raced in Prefontaine at the weekend in separate races. Gatlin ran 9.88 after a sluggish start and he seemed to clip Leonard Scott with his arm too, but he looked unreal in the last 30m, while Powell ran 9.93, ran a smoother race and though some reports say he eased off with 5m to go it looks like he went all the way through to me. At the moment, its advantage Gatlin but I still fancy Powell when they eventaully meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Asafa did the business yesterday, and I think he eased off slightly with 2 metres to go, the record outright could have gone otherwise. He looks in great shape, maybe Gatlin knew that and knew he wasn't ready for him and thats why he pulled out of Gateshead to get ready for later in the season. I think if he stays healthy, Powell will go into the 9.60's.

Advertisement