Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying second hand - top 10 questions to ask?

Options
  • 18-05-2006 1:33pm

...have seen the car, have test driven it, seems in good nick, getting six months warranty, mpg seems okay, know the mileage on it etc.

So what should I be asking now?

I guess the details of the warranty is one question, the service history is another. Anything else jump to mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My guess from your other thread is that you are going for the 2004 Saab 9-3?

If so you should be getting a 12 month warranty with it. The car is only 2 years old so a 12 month warranty should be expected. Also get in writing what is covered under the warranty, some used warranties will cover bumper to bumper whereas others will only cover the engine and gearbox.

This is very important to have spelt out now rather than finding out later if something is wrong that it is not covered by warranty but you thought it was.

Also in the other thread you mentioned the car had 47k or 57k on the clock. This means that either the timing belt is due a change or should have been changed recently. So ask them when was it done. If it hasn't been changed then it is due, you can use this as a bargining tool with them. Either get them to change it or drop €xxx off the price in order to get it done yourself elsewhere.

Thanks for that, would never have thought of those at all. Thought 6 months was pretty standard, and certainly completely forgot about the timing belt. Will defo get that checked out - you may have saved me a small fortune if anything comes up with that.

Further to the questions, the garage told me a Saab does not have a timing belt but a timing chain which won't need replacing. Can't say I've heard of this myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

I would also check that there is no outstanding finance on the car. If there is then the finance company will come after you and they can take the car no questions asked. I had hassle before when geting a car and found out there was finance still out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

No 1 question I would ask would be "Has the car ever been damaged?"

Always ask this question - the seller is legally bound to give you an honest answer. Even if you (or anyone in your company at the time) are expect at spotting a body repair on a car, it is important to ask the question, not in an accusatory way, but in an open, matter of fact manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

My usual questions:

1. Has it ever been involved in an accident?

2. Has it ever been used as a taxi/hackney?

3. May I see the service record? (some prospective buyers merely ask if there is a service record with the car).

4. Would you mind if I contacted the previous owner to verify milage/servicing etc.? (doesn't always work but dodgy dealers become very jittery at this point)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

with a Saab, I'd be looking for a full Saab service history. with an emphasis on the Saab bit. Saabs need to use Saab branded oil, as other oils can end up sludging in the sump.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Further to the questions, the garage told me a Saab does not have a timing belt but a timing chain which won't need replacing. Can't say I've heard of this myself.
    http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52678
    The car has a timing chain, and a timing chain tensioner, NOT a timing belt. It only has to be replaced if there is excessive wear for some reason, most often poor engine lubrication, sludge in the engine, etc. Replacement is not a normal 60k service item.p/quote]
    If Saab oil wasn't used, you may need a new timing chain.

Advertisement