Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installation question

• 18-05-2006 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Ok....so here's my problem....

Last night I had the following setup:

1 raid0 SATA array consisting of:

50G C:\
    320G D:\
    30G unallocated

and 1 x 160G IDE drive (NTFS).

I copied my useful files to the IDE drive, removed the raid0-ness on the 2 sata drives (effectively wiping the windows install), stuck in the ubuntu installer and picked sda drive for it to install to.

So this morning I want to mount my NTFS partition on the IDE drive so I can get some files from it onto the PSP. I try mounting hdc as ntfs and it tells me to piss off, so I power down, check that the drive is connected properly, then I switch it to slave on the IDE channel 2 to see if that helps, I then try to boot and....wait for it...."no operating system". I set the two sata drives as the bootable ones in turn. Still no joy.

WTF?

I'm thinking that possibly grub got installed to the ide drive, which then pointed at the sata drive. Is this possible? Did the installer screw up all my backup data?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

I'm a newbie to linux, but I don't think you should have changed the bootable flag around.

If you get to the stage again where the only issue is that you can't mount your ntfs partition, run diskmounter to do it for you.

The issue might be something to do with using chainloader+1 in grub to boot properly. Read up on the grub documentation. It's relatively short and easy to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

nice linkage on the diskmounter script. :) Thanks.

I think what's confusing me is that altering the ide setup has any impact on booting at all. I would have thought that the mbr was on the 1st sata drive and that once I told the bios to boot from this disc, it bloody well should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

I would have thought that the mbr was on the 1st sata drive and that once I told the bios to boot from this disc, it bloody well should have.
    I'd be pretty sure it's related to grub anyway. The MBR is told that it will find grub on (sd0,0) (ie, sda1) or whatever, and gets menu.lst from that, which has all the boot commands. If you set the bootable flag on another drive/partition maybe it gets confused. http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html
    No need to read it all, but I read it recently, and there's some bells ringing in my head about all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

:/ ok, it looks like it is a grub issue, but it's causing a bigger problem....

I stuck the ide drive back on primary and set it as the bootable drive. Looks like the poxy installer did set it as the bootable drive (even though the sata drive has all the data).

First off: df output:
    Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1            189303128   2310144 177376880   2% /
    tmpfs                   518028         0    518028   0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                   518028     12656    505372   3% /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-k7-smp/volatile
    /dev/hda                713270    713270         0 100% /media/cdrom0

I'm a smidge concerned about that tempfs.

So I ran that diskmounter script. Its output is:
     sudo ./diskmounter
    By default the disks will be writable only by root and
    paul (paul)
    Do you want to make the disk writable by all users instead? (y/n)
    n
    Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table
    Added /dev/hdc1 as '/media/hdc1'
    NTFS drives will be mounted read-only!
    mount: special device /dev/hdc1 does not exist
    All windows and mac partitions will now be mounted every time you boot
    You do not need to reboot, the partitions are mounted now too

ls in /media/hdc1 shows nothing. (/dev/hdc1 doesn't exist, weirdly)

Anyway, so I try to mount /dev/hdc and I get the following crap :/ :
    sudo mount /dev/hdc /media/hdc1/ -t ntfs
    mount: /dev/hdc already mounted or /media/hdc1/ busy
    paul@Computa:~$ sudo umount /dev/hdc
    umount: /dev/hdc: not mounted
    paul@Computa:~$ sudo umount /media/hdc1/
    umount: /media/hdc1/: not mounted
    paul@Computa:~$ sudo mount /dev/hdc /media/hdc1/ -t ntfs
    mount: /dev/hdc already mounted or /media/hdc1/ busy

edit: that script added the following to /etc/fstab:
    #Added by diskmounter utility
    /dev/hdc1 /media/hdc1 ntfs ro,user,fmask=0133,dmask=0022,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

Any suggestions?

Advertisement