Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Cat Advice Needed!

Options
  • 18-05-2006 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello, my friend Sean adopted the cutest stray marmalade cat just before last Christmas, which he has since called 'Monty'. It seems the poor little thing was thrown out into the elements when he was still very young and ever since has had a recurring cold - wheezing, sneezing and difficulties breathing. :eek:
    Sean has brought Monty to the vet over seven times in the last six months. The vet administers an injection which sorts Monty out for around three days, but then he goes back to his poorly self. The vet recently tested Monty for lukemia, and thankfully the tests came back negative.
    My question is this... is there anything that Sean can do to help Monty become healthy once and for all? It seems a little unfair to me that the vet is happily taking €50 from Sean every time he brings Monty in for the same injection over and over again. Sean himself is getting very stressed out with the whole situation and just does not know what to do.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Has his blood been tested for anything other than leukaemia? Fiv, calici, herpes? If he has been tested clear, and the vet still can't get to the bottom of it, don't be afraid to get a second opinion from another practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Would say the same best to get a second opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Keating

Change vets! Blood tests are expensive but well worth it. Was he tested for cat flu? This can be very dangerous for cats, especially kittens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Change vets, I wasnt happy with the services (or prices) that my old vet was giving my cat so I got other opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

To me it sounds as upper respiratory disease. This is a secondary bacterial infections of the nasal passages (humans can also have chronic nose infections). It can be a left over from cat flu, but is not dangerous anymore, The cat will sneeze and wheeze and sometimes have a dsicharge from the eyes or nose. He also can have breathing problems. he will have less appetite and loose weight.
    It can be temporarily treated, but will never go away.
    If he really is in a bad state in between the treatmends I would go for a second opinion and maybe the vet wants to test him for FeLV.

good luck and big hugs for Monty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Change vets, this one sounds crap. Is your friend Sean in kilkenny too? Maybe someone can recommend a vet in kilkenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

Garth wrote:
    Change vets, this one sounds crap. Is your friend Sean in kilkenny too? Maybe someone can recommend a vet in kilkenny?

watch this space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Change vets and get him tested for Fiv,

Respiratory problems are often seen in cats with Fiv.
    But hopefully its somthing a lot simpler.

b

Advertisement