Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism and After Hours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

6th wrote:
    I dont think mods should be impartial, to mod a forum you need to have an interest in the topic i think and if you feel strongely enough about something to spend time modding it you wont be impartial.... or something like that.

On a seperate note:

As for banning people, i dont think its done to hastly alot. I've been banned and i think banning should be treated as a big stick, get wacked with it once and cop on, if you have to get hit twice you must be a f*ckin moron.

Well I got a ban off AF there (fair enough it was getting heated) but another OP personally abused me and I sent him a PM in regards to his comments and would he like over a drink to explain them...

If you want a copy of the reply be prepared for a shock :eek:

Ph3n0m wrote:
    oh i hope you have proof of that - otherwise you have just made a very libellous statement in a public forum - implying that someone sent you abusive and anti-semetic pms and emails

Nope sorry twas another Poster with a similar name.....

Amp Apologies he has an almost same title....

I withdraw that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

woody wrote:
    Oh If I remember rightly were'nt you one of the persons sending me abusive Anti-semtic PM's and E-Mails......Can you explain that to us all aswell....

No, because I didn't send any such pm's or e-mails. I don't even know what anti-semtic means. Being against semtex? Or do you mean Anti-semitic?
    I thought being a moderator you have to be impartial so calling someone a Moron is a appropriate manner to use with the responsibilty you hold....

But I am being impartial. Your moronity is a fact, just like water being wet. And it's your responsibility to try and be less of a moron.

Edit: and now you have proved you're moronity! QED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

woody wrote:
    Well I got a ban off AF there (fair enough it was getting heated) but another OP personally abused me and I sent him a PM in regards to his comments and would he like over a drink to explain them...

If you want a copy of the reply be prepared for a shock :eek:

A jesus, tinly veiled threats of violence.

LiouVille wrote:
    A jesus, tinly veiled threats of violence.

eh ?

• Advertisement

amp wrote:
    No, because I didn't send any such pm's or e-mails. I don't even know what anti-semtic means. Being against semtex? Or do you mean Anti-semitic?

But I am being impartial. Your moronity is a fact, just like water being wet. And it's your responsibility to try and be less of a moron.

Explain to me the Moron what you determine to be the meaning of Moron

Amp maybe it is your time of month again, would you not be better getting off boards for a while and say Knitting or something... QED:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The English language really has gone downhill recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This is great, it almost makes up for the search function being off.
    You'd have to pay good money for entertainment like this elsewhere.
    Keep it up lads.

I need a drink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

A your signature is to big. Grounds for deportion if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

heh, it reminds me of the south park ep where a time travellers from the future come back to SP and start taking all the jobs from the local folk.

So the town becomes gay to stop the future from happening so they won't come back and take their jobs.

:)

funny.

woody wrote:
    Amp maybe it is your time of month again, would you not be better getting off boards for a while and say Knitting or something... QED:D

Time of the month? Oh I see. Oh right, yeah that whole Pam thing. And the knitting. Oh I see what you're trying to do there.

Because slagging me for helping raise a load of cash for sick kids in hospital is still an area of shame for me.

BTW when we were dropping off some of the stuff to the hospital I asked the nurse to specifically only give it to those kids that were true born Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

no-one was asking for censorship
    What were they asking for? Any action preventing the continuation of a discussion or the continuation of a poster to partake in a discussion because of something they've said is a form of censorship. Any deletion or editing of unacceptable comments is a form of censorship.

Its a question of how much to censor, not whether or not we should have it at all.....so I would contend that censorship most definitely was being asked for.

Unless, of course, the complaint was meant in the "I don't like it but I don't want anything done about it", which is kind of an odd sort of complaint really.

amp wrote:
    Time of the month? Oh I see. Oh right, yeah that whole Pam thing. And the knitting. Oh I see what you're trying to do there.

Because slagging me for helping raise a load of cash for sick kids in hospital is still an area of shame for me.

BTW when we were dropping off some of the stuff to the hospital I asked the nurse to specifically only give it to those kids that were true born Irish people.

Again being a MORON I am lost !!....

Fancy a Bag of Tayto with that Horlicks

woody wrote:
    Explain to me the Moron what you determine to be the meaning of Moron

mo·ron

1. A stupid person; a dolt.
    2. Psychology. A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

[From Greek mron, neuter of mros, stupid, foolish.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Well there are blatant racist posts from one particular poster in the Kunle thread in After Hours. He's been reported but nothing has happened. It has nothing to do with opinions and everything to do with incitment of hatred. But in the same thread a number of weeks ago I received a ban for two weeks for pointing out I thought a post form Karl Hungus was racist. Perhaps some of the mods also believe in the ignorant crap spewed from certain racists on this site.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

...Sample threads include against travellors, Polish people selling paintings, afghan hunger strikers, nigerian deportees.

If this is the direction that the powers-that-be want the After Hours forum to go in, then that is fine. I just personally think it is a particularly poor 'shop front' for boards.ie.....
    I'm assuming you're not against discussing these topics as such, but are against some of the comments they draw, which I'd agree with. The only alternative though is to only allow opinions on AH which match what some people decide is ok or not.

amp wrote:
    mo·ron

1. A stupid person; a dolt.
    2. Psychology. A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

[From Greek mron, neuter of mros, stupid, foolish.]

Thanks now merge that with the reasons in your own words of course that how me the MORON is a Moron

woody wrote:
    Thanks now merge that with the reasons in your own words of course that how me the MORON is a Moron

Only you know why you're a moron.

• Advertisement

amp wrote:
    Only you know why you're a moron.

Well you called me it so it should be you to explain, go on enlighten me :D

woody wrote:
    Well you called me it so it should be you to explain, go on enlighten me :D

Ok, read your posts. They're full of completely unfounded ignorant statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

FX Meister wrote:
    Well there are blatant racist posts from one particular poster in the Kunle thread in After Hours. He's been reported but nothing has happened. It has nothing to do with opinions and everything to do with incitment of hatred. But in the same thread a number of weeks ago I received a ban for two weeks for pointing out I thought a post form Karl Hungus was racist. Perhaps some of the mods also believe in the ignorant crap spewed from certain racists on this site.

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

no-one was asking for censorship,
    What exactly is being asked for then? That the type of comment being complained about be freely allowed to continue?

If you want threads closed, its censorship in the form of prohibiting the continuation of the discussion.

If you want people banned, its censorship in the form of prohibiting the continuation of the banned person expressing their opinion.

If you want coments edited/deleted...well...censorship city here we come.

So what, exactly, is being asked for, if not censorship in one form or another?

Is it just because its a point of view you don't like that you want silenced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

woody wrote:

what does QED mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's Latin for "you asked me, so I showed you" more or less.
    More correctly "that which was to be shown"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

how about a 'NO Politics, NO Religion' rule in AH?

Hagar wrote:
    It's Latin for "you asked me, so I showed you" more or less.
    More correctly "that which was to be shown"

see, thats what I thought. I just couldn't figure out how it fit onto the end of woodys sentence.

tbh wrote:
    see, thats what I thought. I just couldn't figure out how it fit onto the end of woodys sentence.

So you're saying that in trying to look less like a moron, woody has in fact proved that he/she is a moron.

• Advertisement

I'm not one to judge, but, in fairness, it's not the first time.

Advertisement