Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism and After Hours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It was an example of some of the crap that you hear about other people.

For all intents and purposes, it's a fictional example as you've no real example to cite, therefor, it's no less a conjecture and slanderous remark that you're chastising others for.

Your so-called "Example" is ridiculous, and I don't believe it. It's an invented example with the goal of stereotyping and denegrating people who air views that are different to your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

It's fairly clear which side of the fence you are on, and I know you are going to continue trying to stir it.

Not trying to 'stir' anything - but nice of you to accuse me of that. What I am doing is looking for clarification on a few points you have made - which I happen to think are important in illustrating why allegations of racism are not beneficial to an open debate.
    So basically if you would read my OP in this thread you will see that I was replying to the OP's post about racist attitudes on AH. I agreed saying that some people definitely post in a racist manner. That is not an accusation, that was simply the point I was making, or an observation if you will.

I would still say that accusing somone/group of racism is an accusation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Chitty, you are mistaken.
    He’s mistaken because you say he is? You’ve certainly not been able to present rebuttals to his points, so you’ll forgive me if I don’t take your word for it.
    It's fairly clear which side of the fence you are on, and I know you are going to continue trying to stir it.
    Oh dear, are you implying he’s part of the International White Power conspiracy now in lieu of a coherent rebuttal?
    BTW the element of racism I was refering to in the Afghan thread, and the slanderous part was when the poster was saying they "probably" got their money from backhanders, murder or rape victims. That is conjecture and is slanderous.
    OK?
    Indeed it is slanderous if it's purely conjecture, but that’s not the same thing as racist - and ironically accusing someone of racism based upon that is slander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Doctor Fell

For all intents and purposes, it's a fictional example as you've no real example to cite, therefor, it's no less a conjecture and slanderous remark that you're chastising others for.

Your so-called "Example" is ridiculous, and I don't believe it. It's an invented example with the goal of stereotyping and denegrating people who air views that are different to your own.

lol
    Of course it was fictional, sorry I thought that was fairly clear. I just meant to get across the ridiculousness of some of these rants. Yes its invented, but only very slightly removed from some of the posts.

And I'm not sure I understand Corinthians post - I agree that some people don't seem to undrstand the meaning of racism, but what exactly are you implying? And what did your comment about Nigerian race mean? It's not something I mentioned, but are you perhaps trying to test my knowledge of the disparate racial background of that country? Don't worry Corinth, I'm aware of it. Otherwise I don't know what you meant by that sentence.

There are worse things to be accused of, e.g. child molester, murderer, rapist, genocidalist (if its even a word) etc, but I agree its not a pleasnat thing to be accused of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

lol
    Of course it was fictional, sorry I thought that was fairly clear. I just meant to get across the ridiculousness of some of these rants. Yes its invented, but only very slightly removed from some of the posts.

Well done, you Racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Corinthians post is pointing out the fact that the accusations of your man being in the government and getting backhanders or the taliban fella getting his money from rape/murder victims are not in fact racist, as they are not against a race, they are against people who held positions within a political system. if you can't actually tell a simple one like that apart from a racist comment, i'm not quite sure what the hell you're still talking about.

He’s mistaken because you say he is? You’ve certainly not been able to present rebuttals to his points, so you’ll forgive me if I don’t take your word for it.

Oh dear, are you implying he’s part of the International White Power conspiracy now in lieu of a coherent rebuttal?

Indeed it is slanderous if it's purely conjecture, but that’s not the same thing as racist - and ironically accusing someone of racism based upon that is slander.

Oh dear indeed - I did give a very reasoned response to Chitty's points, if you can't see the logic in it, well tough Chit.

"Oh dear, are you implying he’s part of the International White Power conspiracy now in lieu of a coherent rebuttal?"
    God no, hadn't thought of that one.

Brilliant example of irony there aswell, u must be chuffed with yourself. Thing is though, I think his post was racist because it was based on the assumption of the corruptness and murderousness of the Afghan Taliban. (lol I know they're not saints)

Oh it is clear, it's just that you're going around stating those "Examples" as fact. And no, they most certainly are not only "Very slightly removed" from any posts, they're complete fabrications that have no comparison to reality. Unless you'd like to cite these posts that you claim are only "Very slighty removed" from your spurious and superficial "Examples"?

LiouVille wrote:
    Well done, you Racist.

Thanks ****.

Thanks ****.

Delightfull, Racist and Homophobic. You make me sick. I'm going to pust for oyu to be banned.

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

On the note of the assumption of the corruptness and murderousness of the afghan taliban....
    http://usinfo.state.gov/is/Archive_Index/Al_Qaeda_and_Taliban_Atrocities.html
    http://www.rawa.org/h-kill.htm
    http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/focus/terrorism/archives/0202/e10shiite.html

I can go on, but I think the "assumption" wouldn't exactly be racist.

Jesus, lesson in irony needed here.
    Anyone check out Louis's signature lately??? No?
    I'm not homophobic in case some of u geniuses don't get it.

Oh it is clear, it's just that you're going around stating those "Examples" as fact. And no, they most certainly are not only "Very slightly removed" from any posts, they're complete fabrications that have no comparison to reality. Unless you'd like to cite these posts that you claim are only "Very slighty removed" from your spurious and superficial "Examples"?

Not very slightly removed? Come off it. What was the point of your little east european spitting fable, if not to stereotype east europeans as spitting beggars. Or how about all the posts in AH about Nigerians, my example was mild in comparison to some comments.
    And I didn't state them as fact.

I'm not homophobic in casse some of u geniuses don't get it.

You're the one calling people **** pal. That short of behaviour doesn't go down well around here. "Oh oh look at the irony, I called that guy a fag, When in actual fact I'm the one with my head up my ass".

LiouVille wrote:
    You're the one calling people **** pal. That short of behaviour doesn't go down well around here. "Oh oh look at the irony, I called that guy a fag, When in actual fact I'm the one with my head up my ass".

You're the one who is a self professed homophobe :D (And u certainly seem to have a thing going for AMP, but anyway).
    No I think the really ironic thing is that you attacked me, and now you're upset and crying because it didn't work out all nice and peachy for you.
    Don't worry, I'm sure you're not gay (although you seem interested in my head and ass for some reason).

Not very slightly removed? Come off it.

Come off it? Come of what exactly? Your examples are extremely far removed from any real opinion, and you fail continuously to cite a genuine post that parallels your examples, even slightly.
    What was the point of your little east european spitting fable, if not to stereotype east europeans as spitting beggars.

What's the point of accusing me of having such motives if not to tar me as a racist, and accuse me of inventing a "Fable" if not in order to tar me as a liar?
    Or how about all the posts in AH about Nigerians, my example was mild in comparison to some comments.

"All those posts"? What posts? Show us an example! You're making spurious claims about all these so-called racist posts, and inventing examples, but you're lacking the ability to show us one actual post that is in any way, shape or form representative of what you're accusing people here of.
    And I didn't state them as fact.

Yes you did:
    Hmm, maybe because they are shouting things like "all Nigerians are spongers", "east europeans are spitting beggars", "afghans are taliban raping scum". So I don't see how that is standing up against bigotry.

You said in very clear terms that people were saying exactly those examples. Then you changed your tune very quickly and said that they were only invented.

You sir, are a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

&#231 wrote: »
    Corinthians post is pointing out the fact that the accusations of your man being in the government and getting backhanders or the taliban fella getting his money from rape/murder victims are not in fact racist, as they are not against a race, they are against people who held positions within a political system. if you can't actually tell a simple one like that apart from a racist comment, i'm not quite sure what the hell you're still talking about.

Seconded. The fact that the guy's an afghan is incidental to what he's actually done.

Come off it? Come of what exactly? Your examples are extremely far removed from any real opinion, and you fail continuously to cite a genuine post that parallels your examples, even slightly.

What's the point of accusing me of having such motives if not to tar me as a racist, and accuse me of inventing a "Fable" if not in order to tar me as a liar?

"All those posts"? What posts? Show us an example! You're making spurious claims about all these so-called racist posts, and inventing examples, but you're lacking the ability to show us one actual post that is in any way, shape or form representative of what you're accusing people here of.

You said in very clear terms that people were saying exactly those examples. Then you changed your tune very quickly and said that they were only invented.

You sir, are a liar.

Karl, I don't like being called sir and I am not a liar. I genuinely thought it was obvious they were examples, no deviousness intended at all on my behalf. Honestly. We'll keep going around in circles on this issue - I think they are very good examples of what has been said. You don't. I think they are, u don't etc. As for proof, read the Afghan thread about freeloaders, spongers etc. I couldn't be bothered searching now, but if you want, do it yourself. Also old posts in AH about Polish immigrants (like I already said). Oh, or Woodys rantings would be an example aswell. I know he's an obvious one, but what the hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

His sig is a lesson in sarcasm in fact.
    Oh, or Woodys rantings would be an example aswell. I know he's an obvious one, but what the hell.

So Woody's the representitive for all of boards.ie folk then? So much for all your "holier than thou" crap with regards to stereotyping.

I agree with what a previous poster said, you're beginning to sound very much like a troll.

Stark wrote:
    His sig is a lesson in sarcasm in fact.

I agree with what a previous poster said, you're beginning to sound very much like a troll.

Well that just makes the whole thing even more ironic, don't you think?

Could you explain how defending my pov when asked is trolling? This should be good...

• Advertisement

Karl, I don't like being called sir and I am not a liar. I genuinely thought it was obvious they were examples, no deviousness intended at all on my behalf. Honestly. We'll keep going around in circles on this issue - I think they are very good examples of what has been said. You don't. I think they are, u don't etc.

You are a liar, because you claimed that you were not stating those examples as fact, when you had previously given those examples stating that people had actually said them.
    As for proof, read the Afghan thread about freeloaders, spongers etc. I couldn't be bothered searching now, but if you want, do it yourself. Also old posts in AH about Polish immigrants (like I already said). Oh, or Woodys rantings would be an example aswell. I know he's an obvious one, but what the hell.

Ah yes, the good old "Find it yourself" crap.

No, I won't trawl though any threads looking for anything on your account. You made the statements, so you back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Could you explain how defending my pov when asked is trolling? This should be good...

I generally prefer to ignore the trolls.

*Puts Doctor Fell on ignore*

You're the one who is a self professed homophobe :D (And u certainly seem to have a thing going for AMP, but anyway).
    No I think the really ironic thing is that you attacked me, and now you're upset and crying because it didn't work out all nice and peachy for you.
    Don't worry, I'm sure you're not gay (although you seem interested in my head and ass for some reason).

You are quiet possibly one of the stupidest people I've ever encountered on the internet. I pray you're a troll and not as stupid as you seem.

Stark wrote:
    So Woody's the representitive for all of boards.ie folk then? So much for all your "holier than thou" crap with regards to stereotyping.

Huh??
    Of course he isn't and I alluded to that when I said he's an obvious extreme example. It was just that Karl H aksed for even one example - Woody is such. You're reading too much into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Hermione* wrote:
    Seconded. The fact that the guy's an afghan is incidental to what he's actually done.

I think it should be an incidental fact to what hes done - but its not looking that way. I think people are prepared to make huge leaps of faith in order to defend people who are not exactly forthcoming about how they got here or their backgrounds. And then if anyone else questions this blind faith/support - they are shot down with the racist bullet.

I cant imagine an irish person who admitted to rape and murder being treated with the same kid gloves and nor do I think that they should.

Probably get accused of racism but anyone who puts on their refugee application form that they have committed war crimes (i.e. rape and murder) is not imo likely to integrate well into our society - and we dont owe them anything nor do we need them.

I am wondernig now if while on hunger strike and sitting around all day did that guy think back once to the looks on the faces of the people that he raped and murdered ? I mean seriously do we need somone with that cv loose in our streets? I dont think so.

I would have no problem with that persons feet not touching the ground till they reach the country that conveniently palmed them off onto us.

Genuine refugees yes - if they are fleeing actual persecution/fear/death and not economic circumstances - then yes - but war criminals - no way. imo.

A troll will typically put forward an outrageous point of view so as to invoke a hostile reaction. Continuing to defend this point of view, particularly using contradictory or infantile logic, further invokes the reaction sought by the troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

A troll will typically put forward an outrageous point of view so as to invoke a hostile reaction. Continuing to defend this point of view, particularly using contradictory or infantile logic, further invokes the reaction sought by the troll.
    lol, you sounds like david attenborough:D

ferdi wrote:
    lol, you sounds like david attenborough:D
    The word is educated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

meh, you sound like him but you're not on his level, educated or not. sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ChityWest wrote:
    I think it should be an incidental fact to what hes done - but its not looking that way. I think people are prepared to make huge leaps of faith in order to defend people who are not exactly forthcoming about how they got here or their backgrounds. And then if anyone else questions this blind faith/support - they are shot down with the racist bullet.

I cant imagine an irish person who admitted to rape and murder being treated with the same kid gloves and nor do I think that they should.

Probably get accused of racism but anyone who puts on their refugee application form that they have committed war crimes (i.e. rape and murder) is not imo likely to integrate well into our society - and we dont owe them anything nor do we need them.

I am wondernig now if while on hunger strike and sitting around all day did that guy think back once to the looks on the faces of the people that he raped and murdered ? I mean seriously do we need somone with that cv loose in our streets? I dont think so.

I would have no problem with that persons feet not touching the ground till they reach the country that conveniently palmed them off onto us.

Genuine refugees yes - if they are fleeing actual persecution/fear/death and not economic circumstances - then yes - but war criminals - no way. imo.

Very well said!Anything else is just hair-splitting.

Advertisement