Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt

Options
  • 18-05-2006 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I'm currently living and working in the UK and thinking of buying a car over here. I will probably be importing the car back to ireland sometime early 2007 which will take me over the 6 month VRT stage. I am a bit concerned however about the amount of documentation needed to prove that I have been in the UK for this amount of time.

I am renting a flat at the moment and basically give the landlord the full rent every month which also covers bills, council tax etc. So there is no real record of me paying rent as such in this place. I get my wage slip, bank statements and other letters posted to my address but that is about it. Is there anyone out there who has gone through the whole 6 months VRT thing and if so is the fact that I have a permanent job over here, bank account statements and wage slips enough to get me off the VRT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm currently living and working in the UK and thinking of buying a car over here. I will probably be importing the car back to ireland sometime early 2007 which will take me over the 6 month VRT stage. I am a bit concerned however about the amount of documentation needed to prove that I have been in the UK for this amount of time.

I am renting a flat at the moment and basically give the landlord the full rent every month which also covers bills, council tax etc. So there is no real record of me paying rent as such in this place. I get my wage slip, bank statements and other letters posted to my address but that is about it. Is there anyone out there who has gone through the whole 6 months VRT thing and if so is the fact that I have a permanent job over here, bank account statements and wage slips enough to get me off the VRT?
    Proof of residency will probably be needed as they might think you are commuting....I would get soemthing in wiriting like a rent book

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Proof of residency will probably be needed as they might think you are commuting....I would get soemthing in wiriting like a rent book
    What do you mena by proof of residency? I am starting a contract in the UK next month and I intend to buy myself a nice car while I'm at it. I will be living there during the week and coming back to Ireland most weekends. I will be paying tax there. Where will that put me?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you are ordinarily resident outside Ireland for 181/3 days per year then you are non resident.

Therefore you do not have to pay tax here. But if you want to bring a car back you have to prove you have owned and registered it abroad for more than 6 months before it is exempted.

Technically you could buy your car here, not register it, register it in the UK off of temporary Irish plates and then re-register it here once your time is up. I presume...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I recently brought back a car from Australia - they required the invoice for the car plus proof of insurance among other things

Its all here

http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt_3.htm

Advertisement