Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New clutch/Gearbox?

Options
  • 18-05-2006 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of trouble with my Focus 1.6. Its getting harder and harder to get into gear. It used to just be reverse but now 1st is harder to get into smoothly. Now, even if the clutch is pressed fully in and i'm trying to get into reverse there's that horrible sound like you get when changing gear and the clutch *isn't* fully in. I actually have to reef it down to get it into reverse. There's 95k on the car now and i don't think it ever got a new clutch. I'm hoping it ain't gonna cost too much or that it isn't the gearbox.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Has the gearbox oil been changed?

I know most cars are filled with 'Fill for life' oil... Mine was, but at about 90k the gears were getting sticky. Changed the oil (Will now have to do it every year or so but its very easy to change) and it felt like a new box! I'd recommend it before forking out for a new gearbox... Won't cost you more than 15-20 euro if you do it yourself (Exact same as changing engine oil - PM me if you want advise)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

well it the car got a service about 2 months ago though I'm not sure if that was checked (or done).....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its not always checked or done when you bring it in for a service unless you tell them to do it mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

JohnCleary wrote:
    I know most cars are filled with 'Fill for life' oil... Mine was, but at about 90k the gears were getting sticky. Changed the oil (Will now have to do it every year or so but its very easy to change) and it felt like a new box!
    Why does it now need doing every year or so? Couldn't you have refilled it with the same "fill for life" oil and get another 90k out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ford don't recommend changing the oil, so it won't have been done. It has the necessary studs though so it can be done easily. Go for it.

Cables might also need adjusting.

Does it happen when warm? Most of the Ford IB5 boxes are hard to get into first when cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

jonny24ie wrote:
    Its not always checked or done when you bring it in for a service unless you tell them to do it mate!

Well it wasn't sent to a Ford garage last time. A family friend runs a garage locally and has been looking after our cars years. I doubt it would have been checked though. I'm bringing it out saturday morning to get checked out so fingers crossed.
    Does it happen when warm? Most of the Ford IB5 boxes are hard to get into first when cold.

its marginally better when warm, i've noticed that.

Advertisement