Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map Engine for website

Options
  • 18-05-2006 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hey y'all,

I want to put a map on a town website that I look after. I want to be able to zoom in and out of the map and also be able to mark out certain locations on the map i.e. places of interest for tourists etc. I have an OSI 300 dpi raster map and an OSI 300dpi Ortho map of the town which I would like to switch between i.e. allow people to choose whether they want to see the OSI map version or the actual aerial photograph of the town.

I came across Loris Vector Map Engine and am thinking of purchasing it. Anyone ever used it or know of a better solution? or know of other software I could check out?

/edit: a problem I see with the Loris Vector Map Engine is that it will have to download the full file before displaying the map and because the file is a raster file then it will be very big. I think I need something like what mapquest use.

Thanks for any help/advice,
    Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have you tried google maps? I would be surprised if it couldn't do what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Something like the engine google maps uses is what I'm looking for. Google map doesnt show street level for the town the website is for - just one road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yahoo maps have any more detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Webmonkey wrote:
    Yahoo maps have any more detail?
    nope

I have the maps in detail but want the engine to display them. Looks like I might have to write one in PHP myself.

Advertisement