Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can a sunroof be installed in a car

Options
  • 18-05-2006 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Any ideas? Have a Puma myself would love to put one on her for the Summer!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most cars can have a sunroof retro fitted. I use AutoGlaze for installations of this type. They are in Crumlin and Finglas. 01-453 8555. It might be worth giving them a call and getting a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah ie seen it done before. Paul Devane in Galway (if youre over this side) does them.. Does alarms, tints etc too..

Had a load of work done from him, very impressed. Nice guy, very competitive pricing and isint just after your money, you could chat to him for ages. He does a good job too and wont let the car go until he's happy with it - I guess he's a big believer of feedback

Western Windscreens Galway
    Unit 8 Westside Business Ctr Westside Galway Galway
    T (091)581156
    M (087)2616199

Ask for Paul, tell him Niall with the blue Rover sent ya, last time someone said that they got 35quid off tints which was about 30%!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My auntie ordered a new corrolla in 2000 with a sunroof. Weeks passed and she was eventually told the corrolla had gone missing en route from wherever they're made. They told her it'd be months of a wait for onewith a factory fit sunroof so they offered to get one retro fitted to a new one they had there, It was ok but it didnt have a cover so it was exposed all the time, meanign you coulnt block out the sun from coming through it. Don't know if companies can fit these as well becaus eif they were'nt the same colour as the rest of the material in the roof it would look odd. Anytime my sunroof is closed I always have the cover over too as it can get a bit annoying.

End of impromptu story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Be aware that you're also going to lose headroom if it is to receed into the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most car glass replacement companies will also fit a sunroof for you. It really depends on what you want to spend. A basic manual tilt sunroof being the cheapest right up to an electrically operated tilt and slide sunroof. Most come with life time warranties too.

The only thing I don't like about after market sunroofs is that even though they are covered by warranty, if the thing starts leaking it could potentially break your heart. Potentially besides water leaking in, paint could start lifting around the opening and rust could form. Even though these things can be treated under the warranty, personnally I am not convinced that once these things start that they will ever be truely sorted.

Imo I would only get a sunroof in the car if it was ordered straight from the factory itself where there are higher quality checks done. I am not gone on the whole idea myself of some guy in a workshop cutting a hole in the roof of my car. Just my personnal view on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

Rang the Dublin lads there! They charge 900 euro! fthat may just open the window!!! The Galway lad was not available will try him again for a quote! Great advice there lads! Hadnt though of those points except for the one about the lad cuttin a hole in my roof :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Especially with the cheapo glass "tilt only" sunroofs I'd be very wary.

Used to work for a place that used to make them. There are fairly large tolerances on these things when it comes to the curvature of the glass.
    If it doesn't match the curvature of the roof properly, it will be hard to get it sealing.

Some will just never, ever seal properly and leak all the time.

After months of grief the only option then is to cut an even bigger whole and fit an even bigger sunroof ...hoping that that one WILL seal.

Following that method, you will eventually end up with a cabrio :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jtiernan wrote:
    Rang the Dublin lads there! They charge 900 euro! fthat may just open the window!!! The Galway lad was not available will try him again for a quote! Great advice there lads! Hadnt though of those points except for the one about the lad cuttin a hole in my roof :eek:

Did you try his mobile? that fella never turns the thing off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Cartronics fitted one to a new Pug 206 I bought the wife years ago. Electric, tilt & slide with sunshade !

It fitted, sealed and worked perfectly !

I dont think you will have much choice with the Puma though, as the roof is quite short. Your only choice may be an up & over roof, which is not ideal as it doesn't give much of an opening !

A retro fitted roof will also de value the car !

Do talk to Cartronics though, they will give the best advice !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've got lots of sunroofs fitted by Cartronics, and they do a fabulous job. they replace the headlining with a brand new one.
    The one I usually get is an internal tilt and slide jobby, with anti pinch safety, and auto close when ignition is out. It's very hard to tell the difference between this and a factory roof.
    They call it the "intergrated sunroof"

It should be notede that not all cars can take a sunroof. a Zafira, for example has strengthening bars which run the length of the roof.

Advertisement