Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to make of this reply from NTL about 10mbit

• 18-05-2006 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Apart from the fact that we called NTL 2 weeks ago about the upgrade (in Galway) and nothing happened so far, this is the reply I got via email:
    Thank you for your e-mail,

There is no 10Mb connection in Ireland, it would increase to the 6Mb.

I will arrange to have this done - asap.

Now what's true and what's not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

ripclaw wrote:
    Apart from the fact that we called NTL 2 weeks ago about the upgrade (in Galway) and nothing happened so far, this is the reply I got via email:

Now what's true and what's not?

6 is advertised and that is what I asked for. My modem reads 10 but if they are selling it as 6, just agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ripclaw

Fair enough, 6 it is then. Just was a bit confused about the 10mbit discussion floating around the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

it is 10Mb, an engineer that came to my house was shocked to see me getting 10Mb. they are just advertising it at 6.
    To be honest i think its actually a cock up in ntl.. to give 6 they would have had to write new firmware for the old modems. as far as i know, the firmware for the old modems 100,120 etc has the speed written into it, perhaps they decided on 6 even though they did'nt see that it would be much easier to just give 10 and are now stuck with 10 unless new firmware is on the way to limit irish users to 6.

just say you want 6, its really 10., and its oh so good. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

When they were upgrading in england they advertised 10Mb which they had increadible hassel over actually being able to provide. The vast majority of people however where able to get at least 6Mb.So when NTL Ireland did the upgrade they learned from englands mistake and only advertised 6Mb .Howerver many people will get a faster speed the 6 Mb and some poeple will get up to the realms of 10 Mb.So it is not deffinate that you will get 10 Mb but you will get at least 6Mb .providing there is nothing wrong with the system in your area (which there is in mine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

stebishop wrote:
    To be honest i think its actually a cock up in ntl.. to give 6 they would have had to write new firmware for the old modems. as far as i know, the firmware for the old modems 100,120 etc has the speed written into it
    the speed is assigned by a config file downloaded from an ntl server. it's just a small file where the upload and download speeds are plain old numbers. easy to change ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ripclaw

Well as it is now I do not even care any more whether it is 6 or 10 or a rat in a bun, as long as they would start changing it at all. Called several times now and nothing's happening, *sigh*

Advertisement