Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*sigh* Fu%$ing Fiats!!

Options
  • 18-05-2006 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Right, long story short. Mother's Seicento has blown up, head gasket and radiator gone, over a grand to fix and the dealer reckons it isn't worth putting that kind of money into the car. It's an 01 with less than 30K miles on the clock.

If she decides not to repair it, what are the options for getting rid of it, and preferably get something for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Find a local mechanic and ask what its worth as it is

Is the head warped?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The scrappage deals are about again. I know the local Ford dealer is givin €2k off Fiestas and i think Nissan are scrapping again too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

John, yes, needs to be skimmed. The local mechanic quoted a similar or even higher figure to fix it.

Ninty, I don't think she'll want to get a new car as she's retired and could do without taking on a big loan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well 30k miles and its gone boom???? I would get them to replace the engine at their expense!! If it was maintained by Fiat and has that low milage then it shouldn't blow up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Fit pedals. Even a retired person shouldn't notice any perforance drop...:D

(See how I learned from my mistakes in the last "Fiats are crap" thread?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Where are you? Is it a 1.1 or a 900cc? Head skim €60, gasket set £15 from eBay, rad €30 from a scrappy and 5 hours labour. I think the dealer is having a laugh and trying to sell you another car. Ring around and see what others are charging.

Your best bet is to fix it and then sell it - I'm not looking to buy yours but I buy cars like this for ~€200, so if you can fix it you will do better in the long run.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Where are you? Is it a 1.1 or a 900cc? Head skim €60, gasket set £15 from eBay, rad €30 from a scrappy and 5 hours labour. I think the dealer is having a laugh and trying to sell you another car. Ring around and see what others are charging.

Your best bet is to fix it and then sell it - I'm not looking to buy yours but I buy cars like this for ~€200, so if you can fix it you will do better in the long run.

'cptr

I agree here. I don't see how it could be over 1k damage unless you seized the pistons

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

cargrouch wrote:
    Fit pedals. Even a retired person shouldn't notice any perforance drop...:D
    My sister's Seicento was a lil rocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clawsthefirst

had identical problem with my seicento very recently and decided it was worth getting fixed even though it's '99 and has almost 70,000miles on clock. brought it to a great guy on north strand who fixed it for 750e and so glad i did. will pm his number if you're interested

It's a 1.1. Hasn't been maintained by Fiat but it hasn't exactly had a hard life either, and has been serviced at the correct intervals. Not impressed that it has gone splat with less than 30K on it, too.

PM that number, will you claws? Might not use him but it's an option...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

no offense but how does your mother drive, some mature people rev the bajaysus outa their little sowin machine yed swear they wer afraid of the clutch

She's not too bad in that respect, from what I've seen anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

blastman wrote:
    She's not too bad in that respect, from what I've seen anyway.
    oh rite, just wonderin coz i always think that they will blow up when i hear them comin, well then its just a engine defect had it been serviced recently???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Buy a replacement engine from a crashed car?

Not your ornery onager

oh rite, just wonderin coz i always think that they will blow up when i hear them comin, well then its just a engine defect had it been serviced recently???
    It was serviced in February. It had about 24K miles on it, actually, so well under 30K.

Advertisement