Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 penalty points from Unmarked Subaru

Options
  • 18-05-2006 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Mate got stopped this morning outside Naas by the men in blue
    who came up behind him in a Red unmarked 06 Subaru Forester Turbo .
    121 Kph in a 100 This must be one of the new high powered Jeeps they were on about the traffic Corp receiving .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Dual carriageways are no the place for these things. they shoud be in built up areas subversively detecting crime.

If you're gonna get stopped on the road you wnat to know it's actually a Garda.

I see no harm in getting Celica's, 540's painted up and used by the traffic corps. but the whole point is that the TC will be visible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I can't stand Traffic Cops on motorways and dual carriage ways, this is not where the accidents happen - then need to go down the country on the sh1t roads where the danger is.

Every day on the M50 you'll get people driving 110 in a 120 zone and when they see a cop car speed detecting they hit the breaks and drop to 80 for some reason - they're not breaking the limit, why do they slow down.... The cops on these kind of raods cause havok

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

121k in a 100 zone is a fair bit over the limit.
    Good to see the law being enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

steve06 wrote:
    I can't stand Traffic Cops on motorways and dual carriage ways, this is not where the accidents happen - then need to go down the country on the sh1t roads where the danger is.

perhaps the idea is to get max visibily of stopping someone on busy roads where loadsa people see them and hence people start to wonder where the unmarked cars are...

personally I'd like to see a high visibility rather than this as I fell that this would have a higher impact, but I'm no expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

I suppose driving at 120 kph in a 100kph zone is breaking the law regardless of what vehicle the Gardai are driving in.

It is up to the Gardai to decide, in the light of reason, where to catch the criminals. You can not start moaning that they do their job elsewhere because you are engaged in criminal activity. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

steve06 wrote:

totally agree ...

Problem is ...on most bad roads it would be very hard to do anyone for speeding, because on most of them the speed limit is actually higher than the safe driving speed.

We all know the borreens with the 80 km'h sign or the ridiculously narrow and bendy "N" roads where you'd kill yourself doing 100 km/h.

But what can the traffic corps do? Surely they can't fine you for just driving "too fast" while you're still within the speed limit ...not easily, anyway.

So they go where the pickings are good and easily got :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Mate got stopped this morning outside Naas by the men in blue
    who came up behind him in a Red unmarked 06 Subaru Forester Turbo .
    121 Kph in a 100 This must be one of the new high powered Jeeps they were on about the traffic Corp receiving .

I'm afraid you won't get much sympathy here. Many of the threads about speeding/Gardai bemoan the fact that people are getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

This is another example of the Gardai being used as revenue generation tools.
    It has been shown in many countries that the best way to get people to slow down in dangerous areas is to paint a big sign with "SPEED TRAP HERE" where speed traps are but Berite and the boys don't actually care what works they care what pays.
    Your life means nothing if theres not a vote or a few quid in it for those boys.

peasant wrote:
    they go where the pickings are good and easily got :D

I know, and when speed cameras are privatised they'll only be on the good roads.... And then complain that the road deaths are still high because of speed and it'll only be in the country as usual - where there are no cameras.

But who in the government really cares? they're making a fortune from penalty points on the safe roads because it's an easy target.

RobAMerc wrote:
    This is another example of the Gardai being used as revenue generation tools.
    It has been shown in many countries that the best way to get people to slow down in dangerous areas is to paint a big sign with "SPEED TRAP HERE" where speed traps are but Berite and the boys don't actually care what works they care what pays.
    Your life means nothing if theres not a vote or a few quid in it for those boys.

"Bertie and the boys" didn't elect themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i seen the garda on monday afternoon on the cromelsfort road with a speed camera on a pillar of a house checking the cars coming down the road. they were catching loads.

tabatha wrote:
    i seen the garda on monday afternoon on the cromelsfort road with a speed camera on a pillar of a house checking the cars coming down the road. they were catching loads.

If it was outside my house on my pillar, I'd tell them to get lost. I know of a car dealer that use to kick them out of his yard every other day because they'd stand in behind the wall of his front car yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No matter how fair or unfair certain speed limits are the only way not to get caught it to keep within them.
    If the speed limit is 80kmph going through a town then stay below it.
    I am getting kinda sick of these "hard luck" stories of people getting caught doing 50k in a 40k zone or 110 in a 100k zone....
    Everyone knows the limits-they are sign posted....
    Just because you dont agree with the way they are policed does not mean there is an excuse to break them or condone the breaking of them.
    This whole "shooting fish in a barrel" is a bit of a joke as well. If people kept below the limit there would be no fish in the barrel to shot.

Road safety is in our own hands-a bit of responsible driving is needed from everyone and keeping within the laws already there.

And by the way the guards do police the roads "down the country" as well - but they dont have the resources to cover every single one of them.

I am not saying I agree with the limits but I sure as hell know how to keep within them.

Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I don't have any issue really with someone being done for 121 in a 100 zone - but having the lads in an unmarked car sort of flies in the face of the high visibility garda prescence thats constantly being harped on about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I have seen a blue Forester Turbo on the M1/N1 near Swords several times this week !

kippy wrote:
    No matter how fair or unfair certain speed limits are the only way not to get caught it to keep within them.
    If the speed limit is 80kmph going through a town then stay below it.
    I am getting kinda sick of these "hard luck" stories of people getting caught doing 50k in a 40k zone or 110 in a 100k zone....
    Everyone knows the limits-they are sign posted....
    Just because you dont agree with the way they are policed does not mean there is an excuse to break them or condone the breaking of them.
    This whole "shooting fish in a barrel" is a bit of a joke as well. If people kept below the limit there would be no fish in the barrel to shot.

Road safety is in our own hands-a bit of responsible driving is needed from everyone and keeping within the laws already there.

And by the way the guards do police the roads "down the country" as well - but they dont have the resources to cover every single one of them.

I am not saying I agree with the limits but I sure as hell know how to keep within them.

Kippy

Well said Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You need one of these[link edited by humourless mod] and the problem would go away. The cops see a Lotus Carlton and try to catch it but it engages hyperdrive and disappears into the next dimension.

This video needs broadband and the site hosting it has banner ads for adult friend finders. Do not click if you are offended by soft core rubbish.

'cptr

I don't condone people breaking the speed limits, but I have a problem with people obstructing the flow of traffic on a main road and reducing their speed to 80-90 in a 120 zone, just because they see a cop car, it really does hold up the whole motorway.

kdevitt wrote:
    I don't have any issue really with someone being done for 121 in a 100 zone - but having the lads in an unmarked car sort of flies in the face of the high visibility garda prescence thats constantly being harped on about!

They regularly refer to 'overt' and 'covert' policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Revenue generating .. now there is an interesting point.

2 Cops in a Forester = 2 salaries + heafty enough lease on the car (no resales value due to it being a cop car) + admin charges and overtime and everything else .. even 10 x 80 quid fines a day wouldn't even come close to breaking even !! they would make more money sitting at home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

whippet wrote:
    Revenue generating .. now there is an interesting point.

2 Cops in a Forester = 2 salaries + heafty enough lease on the car (no resales value due to it being a cop car) + admin charges and overtime and everything else .. even 10 x 80 quid fines a day wouldn't even come close to breaking even !! they would make more money sitting at home

Price of life of one revenue generating citizen paying tax for 20 years ?
    Say €15,000 in direct income taxation, and €10,000 on VAT /indirect taxes per annum.

Life isn't as cheap as people think, when you look at the money thrown around in a lifetime.

One some level I applaud the unmarked Garda cars, and hope to see loads of people caught.... on the other, I worry about getting caught myself....
    I'd prefer to see people nabbed for careless driver above speeding.
    Speeders generally can handle driving at that speed, it's when a speeder meets a careless driver that things go bad !

regards,
    Owen

steve06 wrote:

Easy known he's a paler. I think that we should perhaps go down the German route and adjust the speed limits according to conditions. Perhaps electronic signs

On the patroling note - there are Garda ramps being built into all new roads along the new bypass from Shannon to Ennis. This is a joke as it could reaonably hold a capable driver at 140k while 100k is the limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

tabatha wrote:

I seen them there aswell, baxtards. I usually belt up that road but the reason I was taking it easy is because I was testing a mod on my bike and the fact that there was a bike cop right in front of me.
    I didn't see the 2 camera happy p!gs until the waved at the passing bike cop. It s very sneeky in my opinion.

And what do they think they're doing with a speed camera on my local drag strip !!!

steve06 wrote:

Easy known he's a paler. I think that we should perhaps go down the German route and adjust the speed limits according to conditions. Perhaps electronic signs

On the patroling note - there are Garda ramps being built into all new roads along the new bypass from Shannon to Ennis. This is a joke as it could reaonably hold a capable driver at 140k while 100k is the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

steve06 wrote:
    If it was outside my house on my pillar, I'd tell them to get lost.
    steve06 wrote:
    I know, and when speed cameras are privatised they'll only be on the good roads.... And then complain that the road deaths are still high because of speed and it'll only be in the country as usual - where there are no cameras.
    :confused:
    so you want them to catch speeders on bad roads, but not outside your house?
    Please explain for the benefit of all.

As for "This is another example of the Gardai being used as revenue generation tools."
    Stop speeding on main roads and force then to look elsewhere for their revenue.
    You are all basically giving out because they are catching people speeding, but not in the place/way/means that you want.
    Crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Heinrich wrote:
    It is up to the Gardai to decide, in the light of reason, where to catch the criminals.

Er, offenders actually. :rolleyes:

ninty9er wrote:
    I think that we should perhaps go down the German route and adjust the speed limits according to conditions. Perhaps electronic signs

Speed limits that actually reflect the state and quality of the road, the severity of bends and the amount of accidents that already happened on any given stretch might be a good start.

No need for electronics.

Or at least ...take back down those 100km/h signs that are positioned in direct proximity to a "accident black spot" - sign. Or maybe those that are positioned right where "Slow" / "Slower" is written on the road surface ???

Plenty of those utterly stupid examples about.

Road safety ----my arse

Only the perfectly safe roads get patroled while umpteen KNOWN accident black spots are just left the way they always were ...(+ the added 100km/h sign, of course)

Yes, speeding is wrong and it contributes to a large number of accidents ...but some of this nations roads come close to gross neglect or even attempted murder ...all by themselves, without anybody speeding.

Chasing people down dual carriageways in high powered cars is not going to change that one bit.

peasant wrote:
    Yes, speeding is wrong and it contributes to a large number of accidents ...but some of this nations roads come close to gross neglect or even attempted murder ...all by themselves, without anybody speeding.QUOTE]

But isn't a driver supposed to adjust their speed according to the prevailing road, traffic and weather conditions?

But isn't a driver supposed to adjust their speed according to the prevailing road, traffic and weather conditions?

Of course he/she is. It will always ultimately be the driver's responsibility to choose the correct speed for the conditions.

Having said that ...

Think back to your last long-ish journey along a stretch of unknown / unfamiliar (country) road. Try and remember, how many times you were "surprised" by a bend that actually was tighter than it looked, a crossroad that (even though signposted) you could only see once you were right on it, a road that changes from highway to boreen without any warning, potholes jumping out at you, flooding on an otherwise just moist road, a quaint old stone bridge that could just about take one car and that a slow speed only, verges that just disappear ...etc, etc ...the list is endless

And all these "surprises" are accompanied by the constant reminder not to go faster than 100 or 80 ...even though doing that speed at that point would be lethal. Having driven for a while on an apparently good road, coming up to a "surprise" a 100 / 80 sign isn't exactly telling you much, is it? In fact it lulls you into a false sense of security ...100 km/h ...sure, the road couldn't be that bad ...

No, it isn't ...it's WORSE !

Either upgrade the roads or introduce selective, adapted speed limits or both ...that would be active road safety.

Chasing people down the few miles of perfectly good road that actually DO exist in this country is just a publicity stunt.

Real road safety measures would mean commitment and a bit of thought would have to be applied. (and money be spent ...big money)
    You're not going to see this out of this or any other Irish governement ...or Aunty Gaybo, for that matter.

They rather keep on cashing it in on exorbitant double taxation (VRT, anyone ??) and spend it on a few more tax breaks for developers ...or convention centers, leaking swimming pools ...etc, etc

All that the motorist is getting out of so called "road safety" is getting shafted, the PC-brigade applauds yet another "speeder" getting caught doing 70 on the 60 stretch of a perfectly safe dual carriageway ...allthewhile yet another inexperienced, overconfident driver gets "surprised" on one of the countries back roads and ends his/her life in a ditch.

WELL DONE !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Savman wrote:
    Er, offenders actually. :rolleyes:
    Er, criminals actually!

If I meant offender then I would say offender.

:mad:

Advertisement