Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 penalty points from Unmarked Subaru

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

steve06 wrote:
    Saw un unmarked Garda car in Donnybrook today, BMW 235ci I think the reg was.

How did you know it was a Garda car? (very unusual for them not to have a Dublin reg.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I hate tailgaters.....doing ~100KPh between loughrea and ballinasloe at the weekend-woman in her Opel Corsa about 5 feet behind me.....not a good driver....I dont think she had a grip of basic physics....I wasnt too worried about her though....

Anways-I do drive the 80 KPH roads a fair bit also and I do keep the the 80 KPH-generally driving at that speed when safe to do so-I dont really give a damn about people behind me. My thinking is, I am doing the speed limit-keeping within the law-if you want to overtake me-go ahead and break the law-be my guest-but I am not going to be forced into going faster, or slowing down.
    I'd obviously keep an eye on them-checking to see if they are indicating to overtake etc but wouldnt slow down or speed up just because they were on my bumper. Just because they may be running late for something shouldnt force me into speeding up. If they want to overtake then they should wait for a safe place to do so. Obviously if they failed to wait for a safe place to overtake and they were staring into oncoming traffic I would slow down to give them a decent chance of making the manouvre alive. But not unless that was the position I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

All Traffic Corp cars have Dublin Regs its only the really undercover detectives / drugs units that may have regs outside dublin (its down to all cars are coming/ordered to the HQ)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

steve06 wrote:
    Saw un unmarked Garda car in Donnybrook today, BMW 235ci I think the reg was.
    i would believe that as i got pulled in a c or e(cannot remeber now) merc last year.and he said he is from taffic dept and showed me his badge.and said slow down and off he went.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

vector wrote:
    Excellent semantic work TempestSabre, it is indeed true that there is no physical connection between the tailgaters vehicle and the first vehicle.

Actually... whilst there is no physical connection, there is a quite normal dynamic effect (I forget the name) above a certain speed, wherein even though you in the front and the tailgater in the back are not intentionally accelerating, both cars nonetheless gain some speed - something to do with wind turbulence between the cars... commonly used in Nascar, and I've experienced this a fair few times myself on motorways (always in the front, note ;) ) - but that would be in extreme tailgating scenarii (as in - few inches, not feet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

<thinking outloud>
    I propose the establishment of a governmental organisation to be known as the Speed Committee. Once established a national speed limit of 120kmph shuold be applied to all roads (on paper) and any council/interest group etc. that wants something lower for a particular area should present its case, if a 50kmph is granted it should only last the lenght of a uilt up area, and not continue for a huge distance into the country. Once all submissions have been received the changes should be implemented on the ground. The minister for transport could commission a few costly surveys on the matter and dress up the results as being good for safety, as is the usual practice, but here it should be true.</thinking outloud>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Litcagral wrote:
    How did you know it was a Garda car? (very unusual for them not to have a Dublin reg.)

Because there was a cop driving it and another in the passenger seat, wearing uniforms, not even plain cloths.

steve06 wrote:
    Because there was a cop driving it and another in the passenger seat, wearing uniforms, not even plain cloths.

Possibly two cops going to work in one of their own cars. :D

(I accept that it was a cop car but still very unusual to have non dublin reg)

Litcagral wrote:

i have heard that nowadays the government pays some garda to drive there own cars so people wonot recoginise them.i donot know if thats 100% true.

drdre wrote:
    i have heard that nowadays the government pays some garda to drive there own cars so people wonot recoginise them.i donot know if thats 100% true.
    That would never work with insurance/legal issues etc. They are only allowed to break laws (ie speed) in official government vehicles.

• Advertisement

That would never work with insurance/legal issues etc. They are only allowed to break laws (ie speed) in official government vehicles.
    yes i thought that myself, but i only heard this story so i donot think its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

drdre wrote:

Exactly where do you hear this stuff?

drdre wrote:

They do - usually in rural areas but it is very restricted and not really on active policing but more for getting to court etc.

Litcagral wrote:
    They do - usually in rural areas but it is very restricted and not really on active policing but more for getting to court etc.
    alright.thanks

Agreed but it would be in a getting from A to B capacity and wouldn’t be involved directly in policing. In other words it’s still a civilian vehicle thus they cannot speed etc while using the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Litcagral wrote:

And even more so that is was a BMW!

Very doubtful.

Big Balls wrote:
    And even more so that is was a BMW!

Very doubtful.
    Whats that suposed to mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Litcagral wrote:
    They do run speed checks from their private cars in some parts too.

Advertisement