Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smtp server for iolfree.ie, when not on dialup?

• 18-05-2006 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Possibly not the correct forum, but anyhow

A colleague, has an iolfree account, and perlico broadband. His email relay server is set to mail.iolfree.ie. While he can receive email, this host is rejecting email from this user - presumably because they aren't on the iolfree network.

We've tried all combinations of smtp server requires auth, etc., and we can't manage to get mail.iolfree.ie to act as an email relay for this user@iolfree.ie.

Can anyone give me a config that works, or do they just no allow email senders with address @iolfree.ie to send email when they're not directly connected to their network.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

gor wrote:
    Possibly not the correct forum, but anyhow

A colleague, has an iolfree account, and perlico broadband. His email relay server is set to mail.iolfree.ie. While he can receive email, this host is rejecting email from this user - presumably because they aren't on the iolfree network.

We've tried all combinations of smtp server requires auth, etc., and we can't manage to get mail.iolfree.ie to act as an email relay for this user@iolfree.ie.

Can anyone give me a config that works, or do they just no allow email senders with address @iolfree.ie to send email when they're not directly connected to their network.

cheers

He will have to setup outlook with the perlico outgoing mailserver which is mail.perlico.com full instructions can be found here http://www.perlico.com/support/technical-support/item/10

Bren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

gor wrote:

You don't need to use the iolfree.ie servers to send e-mal with a From: address of something@iolfree.ie. Send your mail through the Perlico SMTP servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gor

I got the user to try setting the email relay to mail.perlico.com as suggested, I'm told this did not work.

When I try it myself - not using the perlico dsl, I get relay access denied
    554 <XXXX@XXXX>: Relay access denied

which is fair enough.

Would someone who has perlico for dsl be able to type the following into a telnet window to mail.perlico.com port 25

to see if they accept emails as suggested above, changing me@somedomain.com to your email address, where your address is not a perlico domain/account?

telnet mail.perlico.com 25
    HELO localhost
    MAIL FROM: <XXXX@iolfree.ie>
    RCPT TO: <ME@somedomain.com>
    DATA
    testing
    QUIT

As mentioned I get relay denied, but I'd be interested to see if this is different for a perlico dsl user. Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

have just changed to perlico.Am regretting it, havent even got my router thingy.Is there anything I need to know.I am nice but a bit dim, when it comes to all this stuff.
    thanks.
    Cathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

yeah. Ring them and see if you can cancel.
    If not, you might as well use them.
    If youre a light user (ie; if you dont download movies or tv shows) you probably wont go over the cap and it will be fine.

But dump them as soon as your contract allows. Its probably 6 months or a year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement