Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up dedicated linux servers

Options
  • 18-05-2006 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi, I've setup a new linux server in my apartment and want to get both a dediated Quake 3 Arena server and Quakeworld server up and running. Quake 3 for the moment is preferable, as I'm still trying to convince a few others to give FUHQuake a go. From what I've read online I simply need to get the 1.32 point release for linux and then the .pk3 files from my original Quake 3 CD to get it up and running. Is the dedicated server binary included in the point release?

I feel like I'm missing something, as I have no experience in setting up game servers and want to have a go, so myself and few mates can have a few games every now and again.

As I said the linux box is a dedicated server which isn't even running X, it's purely a server and nothing more.

How is this done?, and also every link I try to download the 1.32 point release for linux seems to be broken, is this available any more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Grab the point release here

odrop the files from the cd into the q3base directory
    then run q3ded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Thank you very much for the valid link. However when I tried to install, I got the following error:

/root/.setup8019: error while loading shared libraries: libXi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    ./setup.sh: line 96: 8041 Segmentation fault "$setup" "$@" 2>/dev/null
    The setup program seems to have failed on x86/glibc-2.1

What am I missing?

libXi.so.6 maybe :p

just get the rpm

Which distro are you using.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

thats asking for something about X, and he don't have it installed.

Thats not right.

you only really need pak0.pk3 (500mb) everything else is updared in point release's.

The installer would beg to differ :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

;) damn installers

Any servers i setup used a the b3 revision of pr1.32 and never asked for X, what distro are you using

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Hey, I know ye're talking about q3 but thought I'd add in the qw server..

Grab this - it comes with a ktpro, CA, CTF and RA server...if you just want ktpro (ktpro = what you'd use for dm/tdm games), there's a smaller version here also..

Good luck!

The linux server is running Ubuntu linux 5.10 "Breezy Badger" release, and is based on the default "server" installation (which does not install or use X). I would have thought for a dedicated game server I wouldn't need to have X or any sort of graphical shell installed. I'm simply remoting in to the box from another computer on the network.

Any suggestions?, I know it's looking for libXi.so.6, but do I really need to download X to get this working (which I doubt), what is going on?

[edit]Cheers for the link Fobia. I went and downloaded the client foundation binary from SourceForge as well as the linux server binary. Here's a really stupid question that is going to really show how long I've been away from this stuff....I just need to download the shareware quake game to get a full fledged quakeworld client up and running, yes?[/edit]

ve wrote:
    [edit]Cheers for the link Fobia. I went and downloaded the client foundation binary from SourceForge as well as the linux server binary. Here's a really stupid question that is going to really show how long I've been away from this stuff....I just need to download the shareware quake game to get a full fledged quakeworld client up and running, yes?[/edit]

Nah, well, technically, but no-one bothers anymore - head to that side (equake.quakeworld.nu) and download the client, all you need to play qw..

If you want a tar of the quake3+osp I can send you the complete set.
    Its a biggiish download ie a few hundred meg.

• Advertisement

I'm still running in to all sorts of errors with everything I try. I downloaded shareware quake, installed it, and got the FTEQuake client binary and dropped it in to my QUAKE_ROOT folder. The game now starts up and I get a quake console. When I start a single player game I can't see the difference between it and old quake (no fancy graphics). I assume I'm just missing the new textures (where can I get them from, and how do I install).

So now I'm downloading FUHQuake again, because according to that all the binaries, textures, everything comes bundled with the installer (apart from the original .pk3 file that I can get from shareware quake and just drop it in to the id1 subfolder).

When I try to spawn the FTEQuake Server on my linux box I get the following error...
    warning: default translation for TLC_VERSIONST isn't set
    Failed to open dir ./qw/
    Failed to open dir ./qw/
    Failed to open dir ./qw/
    Failed to open dir ./fte/
    Playing shareware version.
    UDP Initialized
    ]Failed to open dir ./fte/plugins/
    Failed to open dir ./qw/plugins/
    Failed to open dir ./id1/plugins/
    Failed to open dir ./fte/plugins/
    Failed to open dir ./qw/plugins/
    Failed to open dir ./id1/plugins/
    Exe: Apr  4 2006 10:52:48
    16.0 megs RAM available.

FTE Build 2666

======== FTE QuakeWorld Initialized ========
    couldn't exec server.cfg
    couldn't exec ftesrv.cfg
    Can't find maps/start.bsp
    Can't find maps/dm2.bsp
    SV_Error: Couldn't spawn a server
    Fatal error: SV_Error: Couldn't spawn a server

Segmentation fault

So again I feel like I'm missing a load of stuff and when you download stuff for FTEQuake you don't get everything you need and there is still much scope for hacking files here and there to get a proper working installation.

To be honest I don't really care which client I use as long as it uses modern textures and decent graphics (I'm running this on a 512MB Radeon X1800 XT card, so I don't want to be using 8-bit textures).

Also would I be right in thinking that all these clients and servers are inter-operable. Does it matter what server I get up and running, i.e. if I get the FTEQuake server working, can I use the FUHQuake client to connect, etc?

Cheers for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Also Rev Hellfire thank for the offer. However I already own a copy of Quake 3 and could simply download just the OSP pack which should get me up and running. As regards a linux Quake 3 server, I'm still stuck on the following error...
    /root/.setup8019: error while loading shared libraries: libXi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    ./setup.sh: line 96: 8041 Segmentation fault "$setup" "$@" 2>/dev/null
    The setup program seems to have failed on x86/glibc-2.1

Any takers?

Hey, well, FTE isn't exactly....used, due to being unstable and stuff, it's generally recommended for developers only, unless they've come a long way since the last time I checked it out.

Not sure why you're going to all the trouble with the servers and clients in qw though, I mean the server will be the same if you use equake, it's just alot easier, and the equake clients IS fuhquake, just with all the fancy textures *you're looking for*.

So basically, what you already have linked to you, is exactly what you're looking for. I can't understand why you're not even trying it..

Sorry I didn't know that FUHQuake was a valid client. Got it all working now ;)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

If you're still having trouble with q3, it sounds like the installer is just trying to launch a GUI and stopping because it can't. I'd be surprised if there is no command line installer, but either way, you should be able to just copy over the required files from another machine... or Rev's tar would do the trick.

Advertisement